• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake looking at FFXIII saga as model for release, possible plot changes

Breakage

I feel Square-Enix are underestimating the size of this project. It's difficult to see all parts coming out this gen. And are people really going to wait ~4 years for part 2,3, etc?

You'd have to replay everything from the beginning (to refresh your memory) every time a new "episode" comes out. Who's got time to keep restarting a mammoth JRPG these days?

I feel the resources going into this would be better spent on bold new ideas instead of trying to re-live past glories.

lewisgone

You'd have to replay everything from the beginning (to refresh your memory) every time a new "episode" comes out. Who's got time to keep restarting a mammoth JRPG these days?

This is just creating a problem that doesn't have to exist. I'm sure a recap montage at the start of the next part would be sufficient, as it is with any TV show.

Anyway, with the first part apparently focusing on Midgar I can see it having the most additions. Even if it didn't finish until you left the continent, stretching that gameplay to 30 hours while keeping it fresh would be difficult if the story in VII is stuck to rigidly.

Asset reuse and an engine that's easy to work with mean I think we'll see the 3 parts of VIIR come out relatively easily, even though this is SE.

I'll actually be shocked if they get all of this out on the 20th anniversary. Who knows? Maybe we'll also get a 20th anniversary edition, with goodies like in the FFXV Ultimate Collector's edition.

I feel Square-Enix are underestimating the size of this project. It's difficult to see all parts coming out this gen. And are people really going to wait ~4 years for part 2,3, etc?

I feel the resources going into this would be better spent on bold new ideas instead of trying to re-live past glories.

They're not underestimating the size of the project. Hence why it's being split into 3 parts in the first place. What's the other alternative?

BreakAtmo

I feel Square-Enix are underestimating the size of this project. It's difficult to see all parts coming out this gen.

There's no reason Part 3 can't come out on PS4 even after the PS5 comes out. Persona 4 came out on PS2 in 2008. I also bet we'll get a complete, combined FFVIIR on PS5 (since it would actually be able to hold all of that on a disc and fix any potential technical issues with having such a huge world in one game).

Breakage

This is just creating a problem that doesn't have to exist. I'm sure a recap montage at the start of the next part would be sufficient, as it is with any TV show.

Recap montages work because there's around a one week gap and shows are usually one hour long.
You really think a 30 hour rpg can be condensed into a 3 minute segment?
If I haven't played a game for one year, I restart it from it the beginning - and that's just a one year gap. We're talking several years between FF7's parts.

There's a big difference between flipping a disc over in a matter of seconds and waiting several years.

I hope they don't fuck around with the Materia system.

Guaranteed there's going to be some streamlining to it in some way or another. They'll do something more UI-friendly at the very least. Fingers crossed we can still grind master materia and utterly break the game by the end.

Guaranteed there's going to be some streamlining to it in some way or another. They'll do something more UI-friendly at the very least. Fingers crossed we can still grind master materia and utterly break the game by the end.
they will probably balance it too...that'll suck. Not that it matters. AI companions are already going to ruin the materia system anyway

Splitting the game up like they're doing is still a little weird, it I can understand it considering the game wouldn't ever come out otherwise. The thing with the XIII games though was that they each had their own self contained plot. Are they adding things in such a way that they can do that here?

ZenTzen

I like the three act idea.

Act 1 is the Opening until the team leaves Midgar.
Act 2 is exploring the world until Cloud
hands over the Black Materia and Aeris/Aerith is killed.
Act 3 is Cloud's
awakening
and the end of the game.

Simple, really.

They can cram so much into that. The Turks show up across all three games, Cid, Red XIII, Yuffie and Vincent don't arrive until game 2, the WEAPONS don't arrive until the end of game 2, the Golden Saucer and Costa Del Sol are relaxation points, etc., etc.

Hmmm. I was already excited before, but now I'm getting kinda hyped beyond what I should be.

the 3 acts is good, but the first game being localized solely on midgar is too little content for the first part, even if they are gonna expand on midgar, and the first part needs to at least show major plot points that'll be relevant later on, if it was just midgar it would leave things feeling thin, i would assume it would go like this:

Act 1 - Midgar stuff, kalm and clouds nibelheim incident, establishing and showing sephiroth as the major threat, midgar zolom, fort condor, maybe something with yuffie while passing through a forest to reach junon, ending with junon and ship ride to costa del sol, showing sephiroths present ingame appearance not in a flashback and first jenova fight

Act 2 - New continent with disembark at costa del sol, corel and gold saucer with barrets backstory and is fight with dyne, Gongaga, cosmo canyon, nibelheim and now you're forced to get vincent instead of him being a side character, nibelheim mountains, rocket town, pit stop at wutai, temple of the ancients, forgotten capital, icicle inn, ending with the northern crater and full reveal of the WEAPONS

Act 3 - this would entail the junon escape, meeting cloud at mideel, the huge materia quest, ancient forest, clouds subconcious, rocket town and space, WEAPON battles, return to midgar and final dungeon

but they also still need to go into how character progression will be handled in the remake, i just hope its not a start fresh kind of thing

kromeo

Can't help feeling half the areas in the game are going to be cut out, fully recreating a game of that scale with modern graphics may just be too much cost for them? The temptation to leave out something like Wutai has to be there

ZenTzen

Can't help feeling half the areas in the game are going to be cut out, fully recreating a game of that scale with modern graphics may just be too much cost for them? The temptation to leave out something like Wutai has to be there

they specifically said they are doing this in parts so that they dont have to cut things

Bring it on! Half the fun will be seeing how they pivot and swerve to bring this thing into the modern era. Anything that helps them actually release faster is fine in my book.

the 3 acts is good, but the first game being localized solely on midgar is too little content for the first part, even if they are gonna expand on midgar, and the first part needs to at least show major plot points that'll be relevant later on, if it was just midgar it would leave things feeling thin, i would assume it would go like this:

Act 1 - Midgar stuff, kalm and clouds nibelheim incident, establishing and showing sephiroth as the major threat, midgar zolom, fort condor, maybe something with yuffie while passing through a forest to reach junon, ending with junon and ship ride to costa del sol, showing sephiroths present ingame appearance not in a flashback and first jenova fight

Act 2 - New continent with disembark at costa del sol, corel and gold saucer with barrets backstory and is fight with dyne, Gongaga, cosmo canyon, nibelheim and now you're forced to get vincent instead of him being a side character, nibelheim mountains, rocket town, pit stop at wutai, temple of the ancients, forgotten capital, icicle inn, ending with the northern crater and full reveal of the WEAPONS

Act 3 - this would entail the junon escape, meeting cloud at mideel, the huge materia quest, ancient forest, clouds subconcious, rocket town and space, WEAPON battles, return to midgar and final dungeon

but they also still need to go into how character progression will be handled in the remake, i just hope its not a start fresh kind of thing

Damn, this is exactly the split I would do. I especially like that you don't go for the obvious 'act 2 ends with Aeris death' nonsense, and realise that is only a part of the Black Materia arc that doesn't end until the Northern Crater.

Bravo sir/madam, bravo.

That's why it's going to be multiple games.

Widge

they will probably balance it too...that'll suck. Not that it matters. AI companions are already going to ruin the materia system anyway

The materia system was already ruined in the first place. It was an "ok" method but it ended up creating very boring teams.

Just equip your team with the major types of magic, ignore the status stuff and occasional use stuff.

Get to the end of game when a bunch of high AP level materia is dumped on you, run round in a circle getting it levelled. Go into North Crater where you'll get to use it a few times and game is over.

I don't think materia is sacrosanct whatsoever. Most of the game you can physical attack your way past everyone, saving those ethers. Final Fantasy is much better when it imposes role type play on its characters or, dare I say it, when it finally managed to do away with MP altogether.

I fear this game is going to ruin everything that was great about the original...

From the announcement of the real-time battle system, to possible plot changes, I think it's going to end up as an utterly shameful desecration of a prize, timeless work...

Don't do it SE... Don't f***ing do it please... :(

kromeo

I fear this game is going to ruin everything that was great about the original...

From the announcement of the real-time battle system, to possible plot changes, I think it's going to end up as an utterly shameful desecration of a prize, timeless work...

It's not hard to guess what character the plot changes are going to be focused on...

Personally I wouldn't have minded seeing Vincent's story expanded on a bit but I never played Dirge of Cerberus so maybe it's garbage...

DarkKyo

Or it could be an amazing reimagining of a beloved world! They aren't going to change anything major, story-wise, so I wouldn't worry about that. Due to the new game format they'll probably just need to alter some minor plot points to improve the flow of the game/story.

Or it could be an amazing reimagining of a beloved world! They aren't going to change anything major, story-wise, so I wouldn't worry about that. Due to the new game format they'll probably just need to alter some minor plot points to improve the flow of the game/story.

Yeah, like it's a given that they'll need to mess with Yuffie and Vincent's stuff, since they were optional in the original, and there's almost no chance they'd be optional now.

Arkeband

Banned
The .hack// series - both the original and GU - transfer everything. Though they are pretty much the only examples I know.

The problem with going the .hack// route is that those games were still not completely self-contained games - there were level caps in place to say "you can't get stronger than this until the next game", and especially with G.U., your player character was barred from entire playstyles. The gameplay expanded dramatically in the 2nd game, with the 3rd game being great until you unlocked the
Xth form
which was so unbalanced that you'd just simply ignore your previous forms.

Applied directly to FF7, you'd end Chapter 1 with Cloud at Level 30 with kind-of-a-toolkit but they need to leave room for growth in Chapters 2 and 3, so you'd be playing a simplified version of what he'd eventually be allowed to do.

And the problem with carrying over stats is the same as .Hack//, where they would need to accomodate the weird people who want to jump in halfway and give them automatic items and gear which somewhat dilutes the experience of gathering items, gear, etc at the end of the previous Chapter to be more prepared for the next. You basically neuter each game's post-game.

Koozek

FFVII is my all-time favorite game and I'm really happy about the changes to the battle-system and "reimagining" of the story, but it's crazy how my feelings changed since the gameplay reveal. Now that the remake is an actual thing after years of phantasizing and hyping since Verendus teased it in 2013 somehow I'm not really looking forward to it anymore and I'm actually afraid that the 3 episodes could take away release schedule space for new future mainline FFs in the next 3-4 years :/ Do you think SE would release FFXVI and a new FFVIIR episode in the same year? Maybe I'm overthinking. They could release one in Spring and one in Fall, I guess.
---

Ehh, relax. The original FFVII won't magically disappear. I love FFVII from the bottom of my heart and will probably keep on playing it every few years even after the remake is released fully. Could be an interesting new spin on the world and story we know.

FFVII is my all-time favorite game and I'm really happy about the changes to the battle-system and "reimagining" of the story, but it's crazy how my feelings changed since the gameplay reveal. Now that the remake is an actual thing after years of phantasizing and hyping since Verendus teased it in 2013 somehow I'm not really looking forward to it anymore and I'm actually afraid that the 3 episodes could take away release schedule space for new future mainline FFs in the next 3-4 years :/ Do you think SE would release FFXVI and a new FFVIIR episode in the same year? Maybe I'm overthinking. They could release one in Spring and one in Fall, I guess.

Different teams, aren't they? One's release shouldn't dictate much if that's the case.

Ranger X

I can't care less anymore about this game really.
I never liked Nomura work much (besides art) and they really are too much here. 3 games? fuck off, no story or game needs that. They just want to milk this shit. Also, its not a remake but more a reboot since they sound like they change too much stuff. A remake means replaying the same game in higher/better fidelity. A great remake is something like Resident Evil Gamecube. They didn't CHANGE the game, they added to it and make it better, higher fidelity.

So yeah, they can do whatever the fuck they want. they can change the story, make Red13 the end boss, not kill Aeris and scrap Midgar if you ask me. Anything goes!

Koozek

Different teams, aren't they? One's release shouldn't dictate much if that's the case.

Yeah, yeah, not talking about teams, but just about the release schedule. They're even outsourcing most of FFVIIR anyway, so Kitase's BD1 should be able to go into pre-production for FFXVII or help out on FFXVI.

There is so much things that they can improve. For example, the journey between Midgar and Junon was full of empty space that can be improved upon such as adding new towns/stories that can still be tied up to the main story.

Yeah, yeah, not talking about teams, but just about the release schedule. They're even outsourcing most of FFVIIR anyway, so Kitase's BD1 should be able to go into pre-production for FFXVII or help out on FFXVI.

Yup. That's what I'm thinking as well.
I just hope he's learned his lesson and has Toriyama moved to the basement working as S-E Assistant Manager - Janitorial Production Team X. ;)

Koozek

Yup. That's what I'm thinking as well.
I just hope he's learned his lesson and has Toriyama moved to the basement working as S-E Assistant Manager - Janitorial Production Team X. ;)
Let Toriyama do FFX-3 (based on the hilariously bad FFX-2.5 novel, just out of morbid curiosity) or FFVIIR mobile spin-offs (Honeybee Inn/cross-dressing fashion app with Lightning costumes for Cloud).

1 game per disc seems fine by me. And if they want to do some fun, interesting plot changes in there, I'm okay with that. Just make it good.

I loved Final Fantasy VII, and that game will always be there. If they want to make something they think will be even better, awesome.

Silvawuff

I'm not sure how to feel about this since everything about this project is still largely speculative tidbits. Guess we'll find out in time!

I think looking looking at the XIII Trilogy's release schedule is the best way to handle this project. All three of those games released in a span of ~4 years (given the last game was a bit rushed). I expect the same with the VII remakes considering that they're remakes with most of their scenario work already laid out for them.

I wouldn't worry about S-E taking 4 plus years in between installments while citing Versus XIII and KH3 as examples. If so, than this company seriously needs to be further restructured

I wonder if this will be Nomura's and Kitase's last hurrah before retirement...

Seems like this is a leave-it-all-on-the-field project, for sure.

Has there been any word and/or confirmation if Yusuke Naora has moved on to VII-R since (I assume) his art direction for XV is done?
Naora was pretty damn important for both the original VII and Advent Children, so I hope he's rejoining his old team of Kitase/Nomura/Nojima.

I'll be ok if Naora's not involved with VII-R as long as he's character (yes, character) designer for FFXVI. :)

Koozek

That's why I have complete faith in this project. I feel like both Kitase and Nomura, particularly, have a lot of motivation to make this something special. If this turns out to be Kitase's swan song, it'll be very bitter/sweet for me, as I have so much respect for the man on a creative level.

Although he's been a massive part of my favorite FF games, I'm still sad we never got an original IP JRPG from Kitase/Nojima. It seemed from the mid-90s until the early 2000s they were working on original projects that would eventually be converted to FFs (VIII and X, in particular). A game from Kitase/Nojima without concerns over the FF demographic could have been something really neat.

royox

So they are going to make us pay like 3 times for a remake of what 20 years ago was one single game.

How...what...I don't even.

lewisgone

Recap montages work because there's around a one week gap and shows are usually one hour long.
You really think a 30 hour rpg can be condensed into a 3 minute segment?
If I haven't played a game for one year, I restart it from it the beginning - and that's just a one year gap. We're talking several years between FF7's parts.

There's a big difference between flipping a disc over in a matter of seconds and waiting several years.

When I brought up tv shows I was more referring to the year long gap between seasons. I can barely remember the end of the last season of Game of Thrones.

I just don't think it will be a big problem.

antitrop

So they are going to make us pay like 3 times for a remake of what 20 years ago was one single game.

FF7 was a ~35 hour game (though it was many people's first RPG ever in the 90s, which kind of inflates the playtime for those people a bit).

What they're talking about here sounds like giving us three 30-hour games, I don't see it as a ripoff.

The materia system was already ruined in the first place. It was an "ok" method but it ended up creating very boring teams.

Just equip your team with the major types of magic, ignore the status stuff and occasional use stuff.

Get to the end of game when a bunch of high AP level materia is dumped on you, run round in a circle getting it levelled. Go into North Crater where you'll get to use it a few times and game is over.

I don't think materia is sacrosanct whatsoever. Most of the game you can physical attack your way past everyone, saving those ethers. Final Fantasy is much better when it imposes role type play on its characters or, dare I say it, when it finally managed to do away with MP altogether.
this is like...the most wrong thing I've ever read

And role types suck. I hate being forced to use characters I don't want to just because I need their role. Thats almost as bad as having only one playable character in an ff..and...theyd...never.........do........................that

Kieli

That's just the nature of developing this behemoth.

I didn't like it at first, but I'm kinda OK with it now. 30 hours x 3 is fine in my books.

But each part is a full length game and they are changing things up, so it's not like you're buying the same game again at full price three times.

Top Bottom