• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake Ultimania Information (Spoilers)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tidbits and notes of interest from the FFVII-R Ultimania (pictured below). I've taken these excerpts from various twitter accounts. Not posting any scans, but you can find them on twitter. Some cool concept art never before seen.

EWcaF4TUEAAUXgC.jpg

- Kitase says there is speculation there will be 3 parts, but they are just doing things one step at a time.

- Nomura says the release date for the next part depends on how big a chunk it will be. Smaller part = faster development.

- Quote from Kitase: "We're not drastically changing the story and making it into something completely different than the original. Even though its a Remake, please assume the story of FF7 will continue as FF7 always has from here on out."

-
Character Ages
Rufus: 30
Tseng: 30
Reno: 28
Rude: 30
Reeves: 35
Biggs: 25
Jessie: 23
Wedge: 20
Cloud: 21
Tifa: 20
Barret: 35

- In Wall Market chapter, Andrea Rhodea (the dancer) and Jules (the gym manager) are actually siblings.

- The penultimate boss has 3 elite smaller versions: Rubrum, Viridi, and Croceo. They use the same weapons and fighting style as Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo from Advent Children.

- These 3 bosses also form a Bahamut clone. The Advent Children trio summons Bahamut in that movie as well.

- 2021 date for part 2 is out of the question.

- Kazushige Nojima says he wants to add Crisis Core locations in future installments.

- Cloud is 5'7". Barret is 6'4".

- Cloud is physically 21 but is mentally 16. He is missing 5 years of his life.

- 4 types of Sephiroth in the game:
* The one that only Cloud sees, like in Chapter 2.
* The black-robed men being used by Sephiroth, who seek the Reunion.
* Sephiroth inside Cloud's memory.
* The Sephiroth at the end which everyone can see and interact with.

- The cartoon dog picture at the Zack flashback at the end is important.

YukiOnna

Some other details missed (obviously spoilers beyond this point):
- Nomura: We wanted to have the last boss fight take place at the highway in Midgar, which arises questions that I cannot answer. There is a character who’s alive, which leads to a great mystery.
- Nomura (FFVIIR Ultimania): "I can't let you know the true meaning of "Remake" yet. Talk to me in a few years (laughs)."

Pretty exciting. Lot of things lining up with Max's theories, too.

Ownage

Just beat the game, and Sephiroth is aware of his ultimate demise. His goal is to make sure he doesn't in other universes.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Who the fuck sort of investors did they find?

- Nomura (FFVIIR Ultimania): "I can't let you know the true meaning of "Remake" yet. Talk to me in a few years (laughs)."

"I don't know or won't let you know the vision of my product. Talk to me in a few years."

And yeah, sounds like certain specific people are going to still live; what a joke

Ownage

Who the fuck sort of investors did they find?

"I don't know or won't let you know the vision of my product. Talk to me in a few years."

And yeah, sounds like certain specific people are going to still live; what a joke
Aerith may live. My money is either Cloud dies for good, or Tifa.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'll take that bet. Where do I send my money?

I'm keeping a betting pool here on gaf. I just need you to PM me the 16 digits on your credit card, the expiration date, and the security code on the back if possible, please.

Spaces are limited since a lot of people are hyped for Part 2 so you'll want to get me your info asap.

YukiOnna

I'm keeping a betting pool here on gaf. I just need you to PM me the 16 digits on your credit card, the expiration date, and the security code on the back if possible, please.

Spaces are limited since a lot of people are hyped for Part 2 so you'll want to get me your info asap.
Aight sending you the deets.

Vawn

Banned

3825 968 782 53835 0
Exp: 02/99
SC: 277

Last edited:

base

Banned
Aerith is the one older and seems to be hinted as the type of girl Cloud needs (from his mom).
Oh so I was mistaken for so many years. Thought Tifa was older and was a perfect match for Cloud (I know Cloud's mom mentioned that he should have an older girlfriend).

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Oh so I was mistaken for so many years. Thought Tifa was older and was a perfect match for Cloud (I know Cloud's mom mentioned that she should have an older girlfriend).
Yeah, it was Aerith. Even for the Remake all the cutscenes and the missable ones like the Chapter 14 one and where you follow her up to the flower field where she's talking to them makes it clear it's about Aerith.

Gexxy1

Aerith is the only answer. It is the most iconic moment of the game. Changing that would be like turning Sephiroth into a good guy.

And I do not see them killing off Cloud or Tifa when they didn't even have the stones to kill off at least one Avalanche member (possibly all 3). In addition to every named, irrelevant character from the Sector 7 slums. And possibly Zack, for fuck's sake.

Zero chance.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Looks like this confirms the Zack/alternate reality theory that many had off of this picture. Great work calling it so early.

Yeah, Zack is dead. He has to be for anything to make sense. But, clearly they have ideas for multiple timelines. It sounds a bit too confusing and unnecessary, but we will see how it plays out.

I wonder how Japanese fans feel about them potentially altering FFVII's story in significant ways.

Kev Kev

with them saying 100% will not be 2021, that makes me worry that 2022 is being optimistic, and it will likely be 2023... and since this is fucking square were talking about, 2024 is a pretty safe bet

giphy.gif

YukiOnna

The next game is gonna open up with playable flashback for sure.

I wonder how Japanese fans feel about them potentially altering FFVII's story in significant ways.
From what I've been monitoring they enjoy it and the possible different outcomes from the original. Biggest complaint is either they did not know it was till the end of Midgar or camera, lol.

D.Final

Banned
Interesting info.
But I will gladly prefer know how many parts the project will be.
Since this first game has already a level cap to 50.
And I don't think that it's a coincidence at all

YukiOnna

Interesting info.
But I will gladly prefer know how many parts the project will be.
Since this first game has already a level cap to 50.
And I don't think that it's a coincidence at all
Like Kitase said, they have a rough idea, but I bet they aren't saying for marketing reasons.

Ownage

The original Final Fantasy had a level cap of 50. I wouldn't read much into that.

That bitch Yuffie is just gonna steal everyones' materia at the beginning of Part 2 anyway. Back to square one.
I heard Yuffie is going to be Kyrie, that chick at the end who talked way too much smack. Also, is Madam M going to be playable, because a toon of her likeness was in the original. Loved using her too, always stared at her hooters.

Zephir

The original Final Fantasy had a level cap of 50. I wouldn't read much into that.

That bitch Yuffie is just gonna steal everyones' materia at the beginning of Part 2 anyway. Back to square one.

They HAVE to add a reset for something...I mean...beginning Part 2 with all maxed out materias and "that instant limit break accessory I'll never write right" would make things way too easy. But since Wutai is getting more spotlight, I guess she's gonna be introduced pretty soon and will probably do the thing.

Also, I predict that the return to midgar moment from the original will be a full on war Shinra/Wutai.

I heard Yuffie is going to be Kyrie, that chick at the end who talked way too much smack.

Actually, I REALLY thought she was Yuffie in disguise, I almost didn't want to pick the flower next to her out of fear she would run off...only later I discovered she was in that FF7 novel, so it couldn't be her...

Ownage

I haven't yet replayed original FF7, I remember Zach was some sap that died. What's his significance?

Paracelsus

I haven't yet replayed original FF7, I remember Zach was some sap that died. What's his significance?

***Zack*** (Page 59)
Places of appearance: Nibelheim (Cloud's flashback)

One who made for a positive-minded cheerful comrade in SOLDIER. Coming from
the remote region of Gongaga, he went to Midgar about 10 years ago. He was
recognized as having the capabilities of a 1st Class SOLDIER, but when he was
dispatched to the Mt. Nibel mako reactor, destiny would take a sudden turn.
While trying to stop Sephiroth's reckless activities, he was seriously
injured, and afterward became an experimental subject for Hojo; then, after
escaping, he was killed. At the beginning of the story, Cloud plays Zack's
role in his memories.

(Accompanying screenshot caption)
Saying that they are "friends," Zack supports Cloud, his other colleague [who
was sent with Sephiroth] -- [and] who has contracted mako poisoning -- up to
the very end.

And then FFVII: Crisis Core retconned him into Jesus Christ.

Shouta

Yeah, Zack is dead. He has to be for anything to make sense. But, clearly they have ideas for multiple timelines. It sounds a bit too confusing and unnecessary, but we will see how it plays out.

Zack is dead, that's for sure.

Huh? The entire point of that scene was that Zack ended up living because fate got changed. So there's no way he's going to be dead going forward in the series. It'll just be a question of how they express and resolve the paradoxical elements of it. There's two ways I can see it occurring.

1. There's the timeline that we experience in Remake and another separate timeline created as a result of defeating the Whispers. The story will then converge these two into one at some point in the future.

2. The timeline the crew comes back to is overwritten with the changes from defeating the whispers. They're basically People A in Timeline B and are the outliers. They'd just need to deal with the loose ends of that method in some form.

Considering that the story is meant to be largely the same, going by the information from the Ultimania we've received today, it's very likely that it'll be the latter of the two. It'd be far easier to fit the new content into the title and still be close to the original. They'd just need to address those timeline inconsistencies as they go which will be pretty neat and it will give a new perspective on events if they unfold slightly differently.

Zack was Cloud's friend and actual Soldier 1st Class where Cloud was just a Shinra grunt. His death is the catalyst for Cloud becoming a mercenary and Zack was also involved with the Nibelheim incident.

YukiOnna

Considering that the story is meant to be largely the same, going by the information from the Ultimania we've received today, it's very likely that it'll be the latter of the two. It'd be far easier to fit the new content into the title and still be close to the original. They'd just need to address those timeline inconsistencies as they go which will be pretty neat and it will give a new perspective on events if they unfold slightly differently.
Also depends on whatever Sephiroth decides to manipulate or give the false sense of security to the party of them making their own choices. I think that will be one of the biggest aspects bringing the different story elements. What they said in the Ultimania pretty much means it's going to be another balance of old & new. Maybe more equal now than the first game due to Midgar being the attempt to keep things on course.

Shouta

Also depends on whatever Sephiroth decides to manipulate or give the false sense of security to the party of them making their own choices. I think that will be one of the biggest aspects bringing the different story elements. What they said in the Ultimania pretty much means it's going to be another balance of old & new. Maybe more equal now than the first game due to Midgar being the attempt to keep things on course.

Yeah, I fully aspect it'll be pretty balanced going forward. I can see a lot of things occurring the same but with twists on the expected outcomes or situations. For example, what if Midgar Zolom/Midgardsormr is actually defeated by Zack instead of Sephiroth.

Paracelsus

Huh? The entire point of that scene was that Zack ended up living because fate got changed. So there's no way he's going to be dead going forward in the series. It'll just be a question of how they express and resolve the paradoxical elements of it. There's two ways I can see it occurring.

1. There's the timeline that we experience in Remake and another separate timeline created as a result of defeating the Whispers. The story will then converge these two into one at some point in the future.

2. The timeline the crew comes back to is overwritten with the changes from defeating the whispers. They're basically People A in Timeline B and are the outliers. They'd just need to deal with the loose ends of that method in some form.

Zack was Cloud's friend and actual Soldier 1st Class where Cloud was just a Shinra grunt. His death is the catalyst for Cloud becoming a mercenary and Zack was also involved with the Nibelheim incident.

Easier said than done.
No matter what you do, you can't kill Cloud 1, Tifa 1, Barret 1, Cid 1, Vincent 1, Nanaki 1, Yuffie 1, Cait Sith 1 and Zack 2 and Aerith 1 cannot be with the party at the end. I'm putting the Avalanche stooges on hold.
Under those very basic minimum requirements neither 1 nor 2 are anywhere near close to the original.

One more thing: Zack is obviously brought back to life to explain what is going to stop Aerith from dying.
Why would they bother reviving him if they still kill her? Just to stick around?

That leaves one possible outcome to fix it: what the main party did altered Time 1, revived Zack 2, saved Aerith 1, doomed the planet. Someone has to go over there in Time 2 to do something to fix Time 1. The only person that can skip through time like Sephiroth is Aerith, so you send her over there and make sure both can never see the Time 1 party again.

Last edited:

Shouta

A lot of these blurbs from Ultimania looks like it's just us going through the process of trying to figure it out in written form more than providing any real information, lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom