• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII development background (long read)

JayDubya

Banned
Panic_Attack said:
I would hope it was the best 3D FF7 to date when it was released, seeing as it was the only one.

Nurrrrrrrr.

^_^

I meant that it's probably better than FFIX and FFX (which were both pretty darn good), and definitely better than that other unmentioned number (ugh). I can't speak for FFXII, but I have high hopes. And I can't say FF7's the best given how good FFIV and VI are.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
JayDubya said:
The whole "originally set in New York" thing seems to indicate that Sakaguchi's original story became The Spirits Within, especially given the Meteor / Lifestream like elements in that film.
That's essentially what happened IMO. The undertone theme similarities between FFVII and The Spirits Within are blaringly obvious.

As far as the FFVII remake goes.. I seriously hope that if indeed Nomura is shoved into the director seat by Kitase that we don't get overblown action scenes that are not required there ala FFVII: AC.

aceface

I've been reading this "FF7 is not Ico therefore is sucks" argument a lot lately it seems. Can't we just agree that they are two totally different type of games which both have their own merits? I really enjoyed the characters and storytelling in FF7 and FF10 and I enjoyed the characters and storytelling in Ico too. There's nothing wrong with a lengthy narrative and cutscenes. In both FF7 and FF10 I enjoyed learning about the characters and wanted to see what happened to them...good stuff!

Would a game like Ico have even been possible on the PS1? Are there any like it? Anyways I'm going off topic...the original article posted here is a great read.

aceface said:
Would a game like Ico have even been possible on the PS1?
It was in development on PS1. I'm pretty sure it changed over simply because of time issues, not because it wouldn't have been technically possible.

Were they planning on releasing it for the SNES at first or what?

Yeah, they were planning a SNES FFVII back in '94 which got shelved in favor of Chrono Trigger; I've seen it mentioned in interviews and staff comments before. This is the first I've heard of the 64DD version though.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Great read,thanks.

Although I don't think FF7 is "the best OMG rpg ever" but I still think it's really good.

JayDubya

Banned
firex said:
being the least smelly pile of shit doesn't make it good.

So given the above (you consider FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, AND FFX to be pieces of shit), you either hate Japanese console RPGs in general or you're clinically insane. Either way, your opinion matters.

JayDubya

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Maybe I can finally beat that high, medium, low fighting arcade machine.

Heh, never. I swear that goddamned thing cheats. I don't see HOW given that the mechanic is just Paper / Rock / Scissors. I only beat Afro man once, and the guy after that (I think it was a robot?) was completely impossible. It was only a lousy 10 gp even for beating Afro man.

It could be pattern recognition, but I think it's probably just that the game cheats.

JayDubya said:
Heh, never. I swear that goddamned thing cheats. I don't see HOW given that the mechanic is just Paper / Rock / Scissors. I only beat Afro man once, and the guy after that (I think it was a robot?) was completely impossible. It was only a lousy 10 gp even for beating Afro man.

It could be pattern recognition, but I think it's probably just that the game cheats.

True. But a more ramped advanced fistacuffs fighting game would certainly be cool than just the simple cheating bastard of a machine again.

Oh, and having a card mini-game like Triple Triad would rock.

JayDubya

Banned
Greenpanda said:
That would be Shadow, not Edge.

O_O

Inexcusable late night brain fart.

Edit: At least I remembered that the thief (TREASURE HUNTER!) is named Zidane, right? And clearly that woman there is Reina, his love interest. And you junction materia to them to help them move about the sphere grid so you can give the rat's tail to Bahamut, but you find out that the Final Summoning is actually Cecil's father KluYa and you have to use it in Pandemonium against the Four Fiends!

What I really liked about the Final Fantasy VII scenario was that it's kind of rundown and rusty.
The world was brown and grey and had a junkyard feeling.
Something that all the awful spinoff products lack.
Advent Children for example looks way too sterile and cleaned up.

The Jason

That was a very interesting read. I'm currently playing FFVII for the first time in years and its awesome. I really hope they remake it, shit I'll even be satisfied if they just re-release it for the ps2/psp with cleaned it up textures, hi res models, and minor gameplay tweaks. If they're not remaking it because they don't want to mess it up, then just clean it up and re-release it on ps2/psp.

terrene

Banned
firex said:
I didn't see any mention of the famous gay orgy where they all did blow off each other's ass crack. Supposedly that's where the whole Honeybee Inn segment came from.
HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW

Now *this* is comedy!

lupin23rd

Originally planned to take place in New York? WTF? No wonder the game sucks.

A PS3 remake can't come soon enough to save the world as we know it?

m

Enk

makes good threads.
finalf6408ah6.jpg

finalf6405hz2.jpg

finalf6403ls5.jpg

I always kinda wondered how that one would've turned out. Still loved FFVII though.

OtwoloBotawa said:
What I really liked about the Final Fantasy VII scenario was that it's kind of rundown and rusty.
The world was brown and grey and had a junkyard feeling.
Something that all the awful spinoff products lack.
Advent Children for example looks way too sterile and cleaned up.
total agree.

FF7 is the best FF.

Eteric Rice

Enk said:
finalf6408ah6.jpg

finalf6405hz2.jpg

finalf6403ls5.jpg

I always kinda wondered how that one would've turned out. Still loved FFVII though.

We're probably going to find out in about a year or so. FFIV was announced, and I doubt they're going to stop there.

Bu..Bu GAF told me that Sakaguchi had no involvement in FF7 and just sat around in his office and every so often walked in to the team and said little things like "make his hair more spikey" and then left for a few more months!

Haters can STFU now please.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OtwoloBotawa said:
I prefer FFVI and FFXII though.
Great bumping......

Ceb

Ryujin said:
Bu..Bu GAF told me that Sakaguchi had no involvement in FF7 and just sat around in his office and every so often walked in to the team and said little things like "make his hair more spikey" and then left for a few more months!

Haters can STFU now please.

?

He put together the team and wrote a rough plot outline. Sakaguchi obviously had a lot of insight in the development process, but I mean, apparently it was Kitase who came up with the concretization of the Lifestream. And Kitase and Nomura introduced Tifa and came up with Aeris' death.

I think a lot of the time, people are just overreacting at the unfair praise that gets heaped on Sakaguchi when it's really Kitase, Nojima, Nomura and Naora who've made modern FF what it is.

Ceb said:
?

He put together the team and wrote a rough plot outline. Sakaguchi obviously had a lot of insight in the development process, but I mean, apparently it was Kitase who came up with the concretization of the Lifestream. And Kitase and Nomura introduced Tifa and came up with Aeris' death.

I think a lot of the time, people are just overreacting at the unfair praise that gets heaped on Sakaguchi when it's really Kitase, Nojima, Nomura and Naora who've made modern FF what it is.

I'm not dissagreeing with that, but at the same time there is alot of unfair hate on Sakaguchi and some people even try to claim that he had no hand in FF7 at all. Why I'm not sure exactly...maybe because he left Square or something? Or maybe because they think that the other important people in the development need more credit, I don't know exactly, but Sakaguchi was certainly a central figure to the games development and I'm sure he worked closely with the team, so it's unfair to try to take credit away from him also.

That was really the whole point of my comment.

Powerslave said:
It may be a total coincidence to some of you, but ever since Sakaguchi left Squaresoft, Final Fantasy started to suck ass.

No they haven't. And stop giving Sakaguchi so much credit.

Eteric Rice

Ceb said:
Kitase pretty much conceptualized the whole opera event. And your point was...?

That for a long time, Final Fantasy hasn't really had any truely "heart felt" moments. Nothing to make you tear up, ya know? At least, that's my opinion.

All I see these days, in art and in everything, is a game trying to be Star Wars (when I first played XII, that's what I saw) instead of a true Fantasy. I wish they would go back to something unique with loveable characters and an interesting world.

We need more RPGs like VI, imo.

Maybe they've just lost their touch? I dunno. :|

And before anyone says it, I'm not saying VII is bad. Just that more modern games have lost their touch.

Again, it's opinion and nothing more.

Ceb

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
not just "conceptualized", he actually wrote the event script code for it

That's awesome. :)

That for a long time, Final Fantasy hasn't really had any truely "heart felt" moments. Nothing to make you tear up, ya know? At least, that's my opinion.

Wow, I'm sorry, but you're just complete and categorically WRONG on this. I could list dozens of high-quality moments in each FF following FFVI.

Eteric Rice

Ceb said:
That's awesome. :)

Wow, I'm sorry, but you're just complete and categorically WRONG on this. I could list dozens of high-quality moments in each FF following FFVI.

I can't.

I just can't get into the newer ones for some reason. :\

Eh...hmmm I've said my piece and gotten my point accross pretty well and It's something I feel needed to be said. However I see where this thread is going so I'm out.

It was a cool interview though, I like getting a kind of "behind the scenes" look at development, you know the kind of stuff people never talk about.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
All I see these days, in art and in everything, is a game trying to be Star Wars (when I first played XII, that's what I saw) instead of a true Fantasy. I wish they would go back to something unique with loveable characters and an interesting world.

We need more RPGs like VI, imo.
You made a typo in the roman numeral you wrote. FFVI is the game where Force is called Magic, Jedis are called Magic users, the empire vs rebelion is totally ripped-off of SW and the ultimate weapon is a light saber.

Eteric Rice

Grivenger said:
FFXII was not the first FF that tried to be Star Wars instead of a true FF, though. there was also FFII and... FFVI.

The different is that II and VI didn't try to "look" like Star Wars. VI had castles, small villages, etc. The old midieval (sort of) style overpowered the high-tech style. In XII that's not the case. It seems to be the same deal with XIII, also.

*shrugs* I like my old school castles, etc. :D

jett

D-Member
Powerslave said:
It may be a total coincidence to some of you, but ever since Sakaguchi left Squaresoft, Final Fantasy started to suck ass.

Suckaguchi formally left in 2003...so you're saying FFXII sucked ass?

Top Bottom