• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV in English doesn't give the option to toggle Metric Units and that's dumb

Because the US uses both. Metric is not particularly common outside of certain things (ie 100m dash, etc) but most educated people in the US know how many meters in a kilometer, etc. Whereas you have people in this thread who have no concept of how many feet are in a mile.

If you want to really confuse people from the US, display weights in grams. Then you will get an equivalent reaction.

I suspect that if there was some sort of mechanic in which you had to measure weight, and it was a matter of grams or kilograms, people still would have managed to grasp it without much issue. Weight goes up, number goes up. Weight goes down, number goes down.

As an Aussie I'd like to say the toilets flush the wrong way too. Though they nailed the murderous wildlife.

That gave me a laugh. I had a conversation with 3 Assuies over Thanksgiving (They were visiting the US) and they brought up the murderous wildlife as well. Also talked about Austrian Bachelorette and how overly complicated American football is.

TLS Lex

So many people in this thread not realising that the UK still uses miles to measure distance on all its road signs and in cars XD.

I mean, I prefer metric anyway (mainly because I work in science and I find anything else ass-backwards) but I'm "used" to miles as a measure of distance so it didn't really bother me. I suppose it's weird that it switches to metric in other languages and there isn't an option to choose, though. We're metric everything else here, but for some reason on road signs and in cars the switch was never made (miles and Km are both shown in car speedometers with miles the dominant number). It's the only thing we still use the imperial system for.

It sucks but like others have said, your best just imagining they're fantasy measurements of Eos. One Regiscientiadecim, or "foot" in this case is always the same within the context of the game, and that's the most important part.

The irony is that the game is most likely using the metric system internally for distances and is applying a conversion to show them in imperial units on the screen.

antibolo

Banned
I only played an hour and a half of this game so far, and was wondering what the fuck was up with these stupid 19th century units.

I guess I'll be playing the rest of this game in French then. I don't usually do but if that's the only way I can get real measurement units then so be it.

Seriously fuck you Square Enix localization team, there are other countries than the United States where people will play your game in English.

bomblord1

Banned
Just convert it? Or use a close approximation? It's not that difficult

Ex whenever I come across these units I do this. It's not exact but it gives you an easy point of reference.
100 km = 60 miles
3ft = 1 meter

etc

I always figured Mexico used the imperial system too. The distance is pretty arbitrary anyway.. you just keep going in a direction until you're there. I do think it's a little strange they don't offer the option if the metric numbers are already in the game otherwise.

What? We've never used Imperial in our history. Mexico adopted Metric in the mid 1800s and before that we used ancient Spaniard units. Never Imperial.

Because of our close proximity with the US some imported stuff like tools and aviation use mainly Imperial but thats because not out of choice, but out of need.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its an english dub and script written in America OP. In that case, tough luck.

With that being said, it would have been fine to convert it to a fantasy measurement or just a generic numerical measurement instead of basing it in real world systems.

I only played an hour and a half of this game so far, and was wondering what the fuck was up with these stupid 19th century units.

I guess I'll be playing the rest of this game in French then. I don't usually do but if that's the only way I can get real measurement units then so be it.

Seriously fuck you Square Enix localization team, there are other countries than the United States where people will play your game in English.

Jesus, its not that serious people. God damn.

antibolo

Banned
Fun fact: when you go from Canada to Mexico or vice versa via roads, there's this strange area inbetween where distance units stop making sense.

Because the US uses both. Metric is not particularly common outside of certain things (ie 100m dash, etc) but most educated people in the US know how many meters in a kilometer, etc. Whereas you have people in this thread who have no concept of how many feet are in a mile.

If you want to really confuse people from the US, display weights in grams. Then you will get an equivalent reaction.

Ugh I just remembered the weight and length of the fish you catch when in English they're measured in pounds and inches too. Its not just the confusing miles and feet that are in Imperial, dammit :(

antibolo

Banned
Just convert it? Or use a close approximation? It's not that difficult

Ex whenever I come across these units I do this. It's not exact but it gives you an easy point of reference.
100 km = 60 miles
3ft = 1 meter

etc

The point is we shouldn't have to, the game was already metric to begin with.

The irony is that the game is most likely using the metric system internally for distances and is applying a conversion to show them in imperial units on the screen.

Most likely? I'd bet you anything that that is the case. This game was developed in Japan, not the US. For Japan the Imperial system is as alien as it is for France. Or do you think all your animu waifus really have 90 inch breasts in their measurements? 90 centimeters FTW

This and 24 hour-time. Just add the option for everyone.

You'll be pleased to know that FFXV displays time in 24hrs already.

MrBS

Yep this annoys me too. I wouldn't mind so much if it stuck to a decimal value for miles or just let the feet counter go past a thousand. The flicking between the two is really bugging me.

Fisty

If the number > 0, you aren't there yet

If the number = 0, you are there

If the number is ascending, you are moving further away

If the number is descending, you are moving closer

There you go OP, I deciphered the Imperial system for you

While I wouldn't go as extreme as what you said here it all does boil down to the bolded part. Just because you're going to play it in English it doesnt mean you want to see your units in miles, feet, inches, and pounds.

I certainly hope some of these posts are written as parody.

When I started playing FFXV, I went to the options to try and find the option to change the unit of measurement.

It's a minor thing, but I hope that they do give us the option to switch between them in a future patch.

Quonny

You're really going to play a game in a suboptimal language for yourself because the units on the screen aren't metric?

It takes like 3 seconds one time to approximate the time it'll take to get to some point and then you're good to go for the rest of the game.

I don't even blink when things are in metric. Figuring this shit out isn't hard and some people are making this such an issue when I can't see how it is one. Minor annoyance? Sure. And OP and others are being reasonable. It should be there. I agree. But good lord bolo calm down.

fernoca

While I agree that it should be a choice, I'm not sure what it really matters in this game. Yes, it says "miles," but what does that correspond to? It doesn't really feel like it has a 100% realistic scale, and I don't feel like I factor that into my experience. Distance in FF15 is a number relative to other numbers in FF15, and as such, could be labeled anything and accomplish the same exact goal. The only relevant piece of information is that 2 miles is twice as far away as 1 mile.
Pretty much.
Options are always nice, but is not as if they're throwing gamers math problems or to solve situations.

In most games is never accurate and the distance is more tied to time more than anything. So that you know that 30 miles takes more time than 2 miles, but you won't actually travel 30 miles.

Demoskinos

While I agree that it should be a choice, I'm not sure what it really matters in this game. Yes, it says "miles," but what does that correspond to? It doesn't really feel like it has a 100% realistic scale, and I don't feel like I factor that into my experience. Distance in FF15 is a number relative to other numbers in FF15, and as such, could be labeled anything and accomplish the same exact goal. The only relevant piece of information is that 2 miles is twice as far away as 1 mile.

Ding Ding Ding. It really doesn't matter in the scheme of things. I put a waypoint marker somewhere and the number gets smaller the closer I get that's all that matters.

Behlel

Now I'm curious... I don't have the game yet myself, but here in Northern Europe we always get the English version language version of games.

Any Nordic FFXV-owners that know if our version uses the Imperial system as well?
Italy and the pal version have the metric system, dunno what the OP is talking about.

Is there not 1000 feet in a mile? That's probably why I can't tell how far away anything is in this game and whether I should be driving or walking places.

Italy and the pal version have the metric system, dunno what the OP is talking about.

In the PAL versions of FFXV the game displays meters even when being played in English? Can you confirm this? Because we're 4 pages and almost 200 posts in and this is the first time I see someone reporting this. Many Europeans here have expressed their annoyance at the Imperial system when playing FFXV in English so either I'm getting something wrong or you're confused.

My copy is an NTSC copy I bought in the US. It contains 4 spoken languages (English, Japanese, French, German) and 9 subtitle/text languages (English, Japanese, French, German, Italian, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Spaniard Spanish, and Latin American Spanish) and only when you choose English text does the game forcefully displays miles, feet, inches, and pounds with no option for Metric. Every other language displays Metric.

Why use distance at all?

Just use relative time. You're X minutes away.

Problem solved.

Almost everyone I know uses that anyway. Nobody has a 12 mile commute, you have a 35 minute commute.

Kindle also absorbed this method which works quite well.

Reason the imperial system was ever adopted and used is because it makes sense in every day use because it uses relate-able parlance to real life things. Because FFXV sucks at making that transition is it's own fault. Could have just used GPS methodology which works quite well, but it seems they just did some hard arbitrary translation from metric, which imperial was never designed to do.

Imperial is the common man's estimate of things, and metric is great for science and math and times when you need to make conversions. Even though I'm in the US, I've never taken a science course that required me to use imperial - because that's not what it's good for.

To the OP's point, sure it already exists and could have been an option. Agreed. Probably still not the best way to do it though.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Why exactly would a fantasy game use the metric system, over a system of measurement that has been in place for thousands of years!?

Why use distance at all?

Problem solved.

Almost everyone I know uses that anyway. Nobody has a 12 mile commute, you have a 35 minute commute.

Kindle also absorbed this method which works quite well.

Reason the imperial system was ever adopted and used is because it makes sense in every day use because it uses relate-able parlance to real life things. Because FFXV sucks at making that transition is it's own fault. Could have just used GPS methodology which works quite well, but it seems they just did some hard arbitrary translation from metric, which imperial was never designed to do.

Imperial is the common man's estimate of things, and metric is great for science and math and times when you need to make conversions. Even though I'm in the US, I've never taken a science course that required me to use imperial - because that's not what it's good for.

To the OP's point, sure it already exists and could have been an option. Agreed. Probably still not the best way to do it though.
101.gif

Falk

that puzzling face
Why use distance at all?

time is measured in non-base-10 units

if it was 100 seconds in a minute and 100 minutes in an hour like the metric system then it wouldn't be an issue

but it's not

that's the crux of the problem here

duckroll

This is why fantasy worlds with their own units work the best for world building. Trails ftw. No need to concern yourself with what measurement system to conform to when everything is made up!

Is there not 1000 feet in a mile? That's probably why I can't tell how far away anything is in this game and whether I should be driving or walking places.

No, it 5280 feet in a mile.

And for the record according to google-

1760 yard in a mile.
3 feet in a yard.
12 inch in a foot.

Do you see how nonsensical it is? When you can have-

1000 metres in a Kilometer
100 centimeters in metre
10 milimeters in a centimeter

/rant

IISANDERII

english_speakers_by_country.png

According to SIL International 942 million people in the world speak English in the world distributed mainly in the colored countries in that map. A healthy chunk of those of course come from the USA and to a much lesser extent the UK. With that in mind why oh why does FFXV automatically changes to Imperial units when playing it in English without an option for Metric?

FFXV works with Metric units. I tried toggling every other language and the meters were there for Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, Italian, French, German, and both versions of Spanish. Why not give the option to use Metric when playing in English?

I know this is not a deal breaker as I'm clearly still playing and enjoying FFXV but this kind of let's-cater-to-Americans-only mentality can get on my nerves. Of course its a great thing a Japanese developer went to the trouble of translating measurements into miles and feet for the US but there are millions of people outside of that country that are going to play this game in English who are not familiarized with a system that goes from 0.18 miles to 999 feet when running towards an objective.

I live in Mexico and english is my second language but I've been playing games in english ever since I can remember simply because games didnt reach my country translated into spanish ever. And it didnt start to become widespread until the middle of the PS3/360/Wii generation (Sony started as late as 2011's Killzone 3, for example).

I wont play a series I've been playing for decades like Final Fantasy in Spanish after decades of playing it in English because of Imperial units and, like I said, it's not a deal breaker. But it is mind boggling because Metric units are clearly in the game and I know millions in Australia, New Zeland, Canada, India, Japan, many countries in western Europe, South Africa, and even many in the UK would've preferred to play using Metric if given the option. Gran Turismo has given this option since at least GT3 on PS2. Why not FFXV in 2016 which already comes with the units for the other 8 languages?

It couldn't have been too much trouble to implement.

800px-Metric_system_adoption_map.svg.png
I'm curious about this game and did notice the imperial units and it was something I disliked. Not like I was ever going to buy it full price anyway

As a scientist, I firmly believe people that use non-metric units belong in the 7th circle of hell. They are even worse than people who won't upgrade from Office 2003 becuase they are 'used to it'.

No I'm not re-sending that document in your stone age format, fuck off and listen to Evanescence or something.
I'll be dancing while I'm 600 miles deep in hell

Top Bottom