• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 14 Announced (360/PS3/PC, Vita?/PSP?)

I wonder how they'll implement Suarez into the game. He's not particularly fast, strong, good at finishing or any of the things that are easy to replicate in football games. Workrate, reactions, movement and 'organised chaos' dribbling style must be very hard to represent.

herod

I'm surprised that they can continually pull the wool over idiots eyes and make it seem like this is a game worth buying annually. Certainly the idea that it might be a system seller is a joke.

Shantom

I'm surprised that they can continually pull the wool over idiots eyes and make it seem like this is a game worth buying annually. Certainly the idea that it might be a system seller is a joke.

Why isn't it worth buying annually?

rvy

Banned
I wonder how they'll implement Suarez into the game. He's not particularly fast, strong, good at finishing or any of the things that are easy to replicate in football games. Workrate, reactions, movement and 'organised chaos' dribbling style must be very hard to represent.

FIFA doesn't accurately represent any player. Everyone can dribble like Messi. Everyone can run like Ronaldo. Everyone can shoot like Gerrard.

adelante

Not sure if these have already been linked, but here's a couple of new videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKpW8ZgIwF8
As a fan of Fifa simply because of its consistently superior animations, I'm FUCKING happy they didn't wait until proper next-gen versions to address this one thing I brought up before (repost from this thread):

I think there'll always be precanned animations for moves that require a certain body posture, foot angle, orientation, etc... except for collisions between players where physics can take over and anything goes. It's amount of contextual animations/transitions that needs to be increased, so for eg. the likelihood of us seeing the same damn shooting style is low. I don't mind delay in transitions so long it doesn't cut the previous animation abruptly/unnaturally just for the sake of an onscreen button press response. Because IRL players still need a split second to adjust his footing, posture, orientation, etc to place a shot or pass. A better player is able to quickly position himself to make a well-placed shot/pass so in that case the transition from his previous move just needs to be made quicker (not cut abruptly). Calculating this on the fly shouldn't be a problem on next-gen hardware

k0ji-wd

I say this every year but NEW FUCKING GOAL CELEBRATIONS.

There's no 'passion' in FIFA, zero, nothing. there's no difference in scoring a 2nd minute tap in to a 90th minute winner, take out the interactive side if you want, but insert some sort of excitement please.

I'm much more intrigued to see the reveal of the 'new' PES than FIFA this year.

PaulLFC

I say this every year but NEW FUCKING GOAL CELEBRATIONS.

There's no 'passion' in FIFA, zero, nothing. there's no difference in scoring a 2nd minute tap in to a 90th minute winner, take out the interactive side if you want, but insert some sort of excitement please.

I'm much more intrigued to see the reveal of the 'new' PES than FIFA this year.
Got to agree with this. While personally I think there are more important areas of the game than atmosphere, it plays a big part in football so should be reflected better in-game.

I got NBA 2K12 in the great Morrisons game sale a while ago, and recently started playing it. The atmosphere and match presentation in terms of graphics/animations/replays is AMAZING compared to anything FIFA or PES have managed so far. It's light years ahead. Seamless announcements of teams and their famous players at the start of the match, discussions of players that actually sound realistic and believable, comments on who's top points / rebounds scorer, with names, atmospheric chants and music, flashy presentation (it might be 2K Sports instead of ESPN or whatever, but it looks as realistic as I've seen match presentation graphics and animations be in a sports game yet.

Honestly, the atmosphere and presentation of FIFA seems so poor now I've seen how another sports game where effort has been made in that area handles it.

If they wanna improve the game they need to remove celebrations in ranked h2h. I don't mind losing or even getting beat because of a last minute goal but it's when they run around in circles sucking their thumb and then doing the robot, my controller ends up on the other side of the room and I take a long break from the game. I think it'd help out with alot of players dnf, nobody ever admits it but I am guilty of unplugging my xbox straight out of it's socket when somebody celebrates like that, it just makes me mad :(

JoshHood

None, the console is fucked either way.

Having said that, if it comes to PSP/PSV and not Wii-U, I'll laugh so hard I'll probably let a bit of wee out. That's an effect, I guess.

I'd be incredibly surprised if there wasn't a Wii U 'version'. Surely the costs of at least doing a simple up to date reskin of 13's Wii U version, like FIFA 13 on Vita vs FIFA Football, can't be prohibitively high?

waters10

Neo Member
As a fan of Fifa simply because of its consistently superior animations, I'm FUCKING happy they didn't wait until proper next-gen versions to address this one thing I brought up before (repost from this thread):
I agree with this, but it has to be balanced. They're talking about more pressure from the defense, so depending on how these 2 things go together, it'll be a lot harder to find an open for a shot.

Another complaint I have. When you play 2 or more players on the same team, same console, selecting a player sucks! One of you friends is carrying the ball on the side, preparing for a cross and you can't select the freaking striker inside the box! You press the switch button 2, 3 times and still don't select that player. Even using the right stick takes a while and typically you don't select the player in time, before the ball is already in the box. Please, improve this!

Rubber

Band

AI

Nobody talks about it, but it's the worst this side of game development; God if only I had video capture equipment.

You don't have to, everyone knows this.

Whenever they trigger the "must score goal" switch in the AI there's a 95% chance that they'll score. So fucking annoying.

And you can tell when it starts just by the way they start to move.

Amneisac

Pretty much all EA Sports games have terrible AI. After you play them for a few years and get the hang of how things work it's all the same. Player stats are largely irrelevant where the AI is involved. It's the same in FIFA and Madden. I really wish instead of this little incremental update bullshit they'd take a year and just fix fucking bugs / improve AI. Sure it might not look as good on the box, but goddamn if it wouldn't make for a better game.

Blue Lou

Goodison Park confirmed:

TIXBU6h.jpg

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/08/16/goodison-gets-in-the-game

Top Bottom