• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 16 - Review Thread

nib95

Banned
Bought PES over Fifa for my younger brother in law this year, first time in a long time. The general consensus from our play time with the demo's being that PES was the better playing and looking game this year, but I'm certainly interested to see how they compare in terms of critical reception. Looks like Fifa is off to a good start, and that both games will likely end up being very well received.

Hasney

IGN's review seems strangely... fair. I'm not sure what to believe.

They're one of the few that directly compared it to PES. Them & Videogamer did it and preferred PES, Guardian prefers FIFA. I actually think this is the first year where both are a viable option instead of changing which one is definitively best every time.
The videogamer review makes the gameplay sound pretty dire.

I think it's less that it's dire and more that coming off of PES, which they preferred, it just didn't feel good enough.

Like if PES came out in November again, I bet that review would have read more positively

Nyx

IGN's review seems strangely... fair. I'm not sure what to believe.

Dat verdict:

The complete package is as substantial as ever, and those who’ve acclimatised to FIFA’s play style in recent years will likely consider it good enough. But in the face of much stronger competition, ‘good enough’ might not actually be good enough. With its biggest rival matching its dynamism and beating it for fluidity and responsiveness, EA Sports has work to do if FIFA is to regain its title as king of the digital sport.

el_Nikolinho

Neo Member
Sounds like both are good games, awesome. Might make next year really interesting.
But then again fifa is still going to sell like crazy, and will probably continue to unless they completely break the game somehow.

IGN -

Meanwhile, the on-pitch irritations pile up. It’s almost impossible to whip in a cross unless you drill it along the ground; any airborne balls invariably float into the box, sucked towards the heads of defenders like a tractor beam (unless you’re the defending team, of course). Automated player selection seems more capricious than ever: I stared in disbelief as my winger ran to nod in a rare successful cross, only to leave it as control inexplicably switched to my striker five yards further back. If the new drilled pass seems to be a smart addition to your attacking arsenal, it’s a double-edged sword, since a regular pass will now trundle towards its intended target. Only the new no-touch dribble, which can be modified into a larger feint, is a total success, allowing you to commit rash defenders to a challenge before accelerating away.

This is enough for me to know I'll get annoyed with FIFA again. The auto switching of players is a nightmare... even when switched off!

Hasney

Ars Technica - No Score

FIFA 16 is as good as FIFA has ever been, but that's exactly the problem. While it offers the same vast array of content, PES 16 has it beat where it matters most: on the pitch. Suffice to say, the series now has a lot of catching up to do.

But the demo plays differently than the final game according to a lot of reviews.

According to some, the 1.01 patch on XBox One for Access people sped the game up again too.

Hasney

Hmm, I just had to laugh at the line saying Konami hit their series peak... Certainly seems to hit the peak of mediocrity as far as the series is concerned on pc.

Even then with the laughably weak port to entice people with shit PCs to buy, the gameplay is still at the peak.

el_Nikolinho

Neo Member
According to some, the 1.01 patch on XBox One for Access people sped the game up again too.

Turns out that's just people over reacting to this update
1hAt8e3.jpg

Hasney

Turns out that's just people over reacting to this update
1hAt8e3.jpg

Oh man, could you sub people that were sent off? I used to love doing that in Goal for the Amiga.

If I ever get this, I'm deleting the patch when my brother comes over, hack someone down and sub my sent off player.

PaulLFC

I still need to play the EA Access trial of this to see how it compares to PES, but I'm enjoying PES so much that I haven't found the time yet. It's good to finally have proper competition in football games again.

Hmm, I just had to laugh at the line saying Konami hit their series peak... Certainly seems to hit the peak of mediocrity as far as the series is concerned on pc.
So because the PC version is poor and a lesson in how not to market a product, that automatically and totally invalidates the obvious improvements they've made with the next-gen versions? Somehow, I don't think it does...

Into

The game still favors acceleration and speed, meaning that if you are playing FUT or any mode for that matter, you will prefer players with speed above all else. There is a reason why real football teams do not stack super fast players to win 10 champions league's in a row: It dont work yall.

And the lobbed through pass is still the most ez mode thing ever, you can score tons of goals against real players that way, because by the time the opposing player has any control over his defense, you are 1on1 with his keeper.

"pff i can easily defend that!"

I am sure you can, champ. But the vast majority of players cannot, and it turns the game into a lob fest that kinda looks like quarterbacks launching missiles back and forth.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Sounds awful. I used to buy it every year and on 14 with some changes to the defence I got pretty good online.

Then I played 15 and it was worse and this sounds worse again. So I don't play it any more unless I have friends over and that will be whatever version is free on EA Access at the time.

They're one of the few that directly compared it to PES. Them & Videogamer did it and preferred PES, Guardian prefers FIFA. I actually think this is the first year where both are a viable option instead of changing which one is definitively best every time.

I think those reviews tell us nothing, because if you really into these games, you will see their flaws only after a couple weeks of play. These are both games that are going to get a year's worth of playtime.

I can tell already, if you instantly want to have fun and score loads of goals, go for PES. Been playing both PES and FIFA for the last 10 years, with preferences changing every 4 years or so, which game gets played more.

First demo matches in PES against human opponents relatively well versed with football games ended in a total goal tally of 9 or more goals. Might be because we suck at defending at PES (because we are used to FIFA) might be because scoring is easier. I enjoyed the slower pace of FIFA which feels a lot more difficult with very hardly contested midfield fights and less chances overall.

Does that mean FIFA is better than PES? Nope. Have to play it more. One fatal gamebreaking flaw might ruin the entire game and I haven't spent the time yet to say, there are none. And I am fairly certain the reviewers haven't either.

Hasney

DerZuhälter;179601614 said:
I think those reviews tell us nothing, because if you really into these games, you will see their flaws only after a couple weeks of play. These are both games that are going to get a year's worth of playtime.

I can tell already, if you instantly want to have fun and score loads of goals, go for PES. Been playing both PES and FIFA for the last 10 years, with preferences changing every 4 years or so, which game gets played more.

First demo matches in PES against human opponents relatively well versed with football games ended in a total goal tally of 9 or more goals. Might be because we suck at defending at PES (because we are used to FIFA) might be because scoring is easier. I enjoyed the slower pace of FIFA which feels a lot more difficult with very hardly contested midfield fights and less chances overall.

Does that mean FIFA is better than PES? Nope. Have to play it more. One fatal gamebreaking flaw might ruin the entire game and I haven't spent the time yet to say, there are none. And I am fairly certain the reviewers haven't either.

Ours had loads of goals too, but turning the difficulty up improves the keepers even in a human game. The problem with comparing the demos is that FIFA is slower than PES demo wise, but the full version is faster putting me in the weird position of owning PES and not even knowing if I want FIFA until I get my hands on a final version at some point.

This might be the first fifa in 6 years that i don't buy. The demo felt sooooo similar to 15, just with slower attacking play, i was really disappointed with it.

These publications and review sites make you laugh. Perennially handing out 9/10s for FIFA. If it ain't broke, don't fix it but by the same standard, you do get bored of the same game every year with tiny tweaks. FIFA has been cruising for years.

When are they going to really improve the graphics, animation and single player game modes?

cripterion

I still need to play the EA Access trial of this to see how it compares to PES, but I'm enjoying PES so much that I haven't found the time yet. It's good to finally have proper competition in football games again.

So because the PC version is poor and a lesson in how not to market a product, that automatically and totally invalidates the obvious improvements they've made with the next-gen versions? Somehow, I don't think it does...

It would to someone who doesn't have a console to get the normal version and end up with the game in pc. If you put out your game on all the platforms just support them all the same and pour the same amount of love in them. EA learned their lesson, 2K Sports did, somehow Konami regressed. Also it certainly doesn't help when you're fucking being coy about it.

By the way, it's just personal opinion but having tried the demo in ps4, it's an enjoyable game to play but it's definitely not the series peak.

Bumhead

Banned
Having played about 20 hours of FIFA 16 via the demo and EA Access over the last couple of weeks, I'm absolutley stunned that this game is receiving 9's.

There's absolutley nothing about the game that warrants a 9/10.

I've played every FIFA since 1996 and for me the current game is as stale and lifeless as it's ever been.

PaulLFC

It would to someone who doesn't have a console to get the normal version and end up with the game in pc. If you put out your game on all the platforms just support them all the same and pour the same amount of love in them. EA learned their lesson, 2K Sports did, somehow Konami regressed. Also it certainly doesn't help when you're fucking being coy about it.

By the way, it's just personal opinion but having tried the demo in ps4, it's an enjoyable game to play but it's definitely not the series peak.
I agree the PC version should be the next gen version, and I think how they've handled the Steam version is downright dishonest (especially the bundle part), false advertising and the game should be removed from sale by Valve until the page shows honestly the product that's for sale.

I just don't think that detracts from the gameplay itself, especially on the "proper" / current gen version, which is the version the IGN review played. I don't think it invalidates their claim, although it is an opinion and everyone's opinion will differ, as yours does.

I think it's the PS4 version is the best PES game for many years, and as I said earlier, finally some worthy competition for FIFA.

Anyway, going way off topic here so I'll leave it here. Going to hopefully get some time to sample FIFA's EA access trial tonight and see how it compares, I wasn't a huge fan of the demo if I'm honest.

The videogamer review makes the gameplay sound pretty dire.

He noted a great difference between preview code (demo?) and final code for much worst:

"The issue that FIFA has is that its underlying engine, mechanics and systems have been dragged on for too long. While it has been carried for the past few years on the new generation of consoles, PES has waited quietly in the wings, revolutionising its game. FIFA has aged rapidly this year thanks to Konami's offering. FIFA 16 does feel incrementally better than 15, but PES 2016 feels miles better than both. Again, it's such a shame because the version of FIFA I played at reveal was far better than what's on offer now."

ViciousDS

Banned
Attackers speeding past defenders and long balls over the defense are nerfed. Goalkeepers seem better than last's year atrocity until now, but it's still early for a verdict on this one.

Haven't played Fifa in awhile....it looked decent, but the defense controls were..........interesting compared to PES. I definitely preferred PES though in terms of gameplay. All in all I didn't find Fifa bad....just I enjoyed PES more.

These publications and review sites make you laugh. Perennially handing out 9/10s for FIFA. If it ain't broke, don't fix it but by the same standard, you do get bored of the same game every year with tiny tweaks. FIFA has been cruising for years.

When are they going to really improve the graphics, animation and single player game modes?

You mean when are they going to improve something that is non UT related?

People who say the excuse that they only make money off UT hence why they focus on it so much. If FIFA was a free to play game then I'd understand. The fact is people pay £40 for it and expect the other modes to be improved also.

Pro clubs is a great example. The same accomplishments six years in a row now since 2009. The only thing that has changed is the menu and more hairstyles. Nothing ever changes. Would love a pro clubs, where you level up your player how you want to and not how the game wants you to. Or let you upgrade the default players.

But that will never happen. FIFA has gone downhill since UT became big. It's ruined the game. You watch twitch and everyone is sitting there opening packs. Nobody plays the game. People just watch people open packs. Kinda sad.

cripterion

I agree the PC version should be the next gen version, and I think how they've handled the Steam version is downright dishonest (especially the bundle part), false advertising and the game should be removed from sale by Valve until the page shows honestly the product that's for sale.

I just don't think that detracts from the gameplay itself, especially on the "proper" / current gen version, which is the version the IGN review played. I don't think it invalidates their claim, although it is an opinion and everyone's opinion will differ, as yours does.

I think it's the PS4 version is the best PES game for many years, and as I said earlier, finally some worthy competition for FIFA.

Anyway, going way off topic here so I'll leave it here. Going to hopefully get some time to sample FIFA's EA access trial tonight and see how it compares, I wasn't a huge fan of the demo if I'm honest.

Oh no doubt it's tough competition between the two and they are things I like and dislike on both titles. At least I'm glad there's the viable option of 2 football games each year, unlike other sports where there is no/poor competition.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Haven't played Fifa in awhile....it looked decent, but the defense controls were..........interesting compared to PES. I definitely preferred PES though in terms of gameplay. All in all I didn't find Fifa bad....just I enjoyed PES more.

I mostly a PC gamer and I choose usually not to buy fucked up ports. That's why I didn't get FIFA 14 and PES 2015 for example. I made an exception this year for PES 2016 because a lot of people were claiming it to be the best football game of forever. I also bought FIFA 16 because I really liked the demo and the changes did compared to 15.

While I agree that PES 2016 gameplay feels better, the flow and the animations being better than in FIFA 16, the stupidity of the keepers and the blindness of the referees takes away much of the enjoyment of playing it. I compare this to how the keepers made me stop FIFA 15 last year quite quickly.

I also think that FIFA 16's AI teams have this year a more elaborate gameplay, but I need to play more of both before a final decision on that. PES 2016 instead has more useful AI teammates. I would actually like a mix of both somehow.

Vitten

Does a new Fifa differ much from the previous one ?

Always makes me laugh to see how fast these games depreciate. Can get Fifa 14 probably for free now with another game.

ps3ud0

DerZuhälter;179601614 said:

Best way to find the flaws in FIFA is to play the CPU at a high difficulty level and notice what it repeatedly exploits. Those will be the same things you'll be fallable to against a human opponent knowing largely the majority of your team adheres to however the AI sets them up as. You can learn to minimise it with hindsight but expect to see those time and time again against players who know how FIFA works.

Pro Evos CPU doesn't seem to cheat as much, but I feel in the demos I can challenge and enjoy the higher difficulty without seeing the same patterns that FIFA readily shows off

ps3ud0 8)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Best way to find the flaws in FIFA is to play the CPU at a high difficulty level and notice what it repeatedly exploits. Those will be the same things you'll be fallable to against a human opponent knowing largely the majority of your team adheres to however the AI sets them up as. You can learn to minimise it with hindsight but expect to see those time and time again against players who know how FIFA works.

Pro Evos CPU doesn't seem to cheat as much, but I feel in the demos I can challenge and enjoy the higher difficulty without seeing the same patterns that FIFA readily shows off

ps3ud0 8)

This year AI teams in FIFA use a lot of build-up play. So people will start passing more online? That would be a shocker.

Edit: I talk about Fifa 16, to be clear.

ps3ud0

This year AI teams in FIFA use a lot of build-up play. So people will start passing more online? That would be a shocker.
LOL ;)

They don't the still use cross-field balls to wingers and a lot of r stick abuse down the wings. Basically some of the tricks FIFA 13 introduced when the attacking AI was buffed while defending AI was nerfed drastically...

FIFAs AI is pretty simplistic

ps3ud0 8)

Beefy

It would. I think I have only played a few people that pass it around a lot. Mostly it's just massive through balls to some really fast guy. It would be good if that changed in 16.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
LOL ;)

They don't the still use cross-field balls to wingers and a lot of r stick abuse down the wings. Basically some of the tricks FIFA 13 introduced when the attacking AI was buffed while defending AI was nerfed drastically...

FIFAs AI is pretty simplistic

ps3ud0 8)

In 16? I haven't played too much, but the defenders seem to position and defend quite well the long balls this time.

ps3ud0

In 16? I haven't played too much, but the defenders seem to position and defend quite well the long balls this time.
They still narrow up when the ball is on the other corner of the pitch so a diagonal ball to a pacy winger is usually more than possible. CPU tries it quite a few times and usually completes them and thats only using Pro difficultly :p

Not in the acres of space they were in 13-15, but with relative pace seemingly better represented in 16 its just as useful.

Perhaps though thats just my poor play that allows that to happen though! Talking about the demo though so all this might have changed in the full game - sorry might have not mentioned that...

ps3ud0 8)

Well after winning all the titles in pro clubs in Fifa 15, I was looking forward to 16 to see what changes have been made, Turns out none as like others have said, Fifa is now an UT first and foremost game.

So not for me this year as i bought Pro evo 16 and easily added all the kits etc from the option file online, And the gameplay is really good. Love the little nuances like watching the CPU's feet to see where there gonna go rather than my fifa style of hold the sprint button all game.

Also i wish Fifa had the Player cam that Pro uses! there be a pro cam isnt that great.

Top Bottom