• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 16 - Review Thread

Doc_Drop

The game still favors acceleration and speed, meaning that if you are playing FUT or any mode for that matter, you will prefer players with speed above all else. There is a reason why real football teams do not stack super fast players to win 10 champions league's in a row: It dont work yall.

To be fair, I think you're a bit off there. Speed is king in real football (at least in the EPL). It's probably also the easiest way for the developers to make the top players actually better than the lesser players. On the other hand I don't touch FUT and I imagine some of those teams are frustrating where people are picking fast offensive players all over the pitch rather than it being a bit more balanced.

I bought Pro Evo last week and I'm picking up FIFA today so I'll be able to compare later. Pro Evo is way better than last year, but isn't without its flaws. Fouls are almost non existent. I've played probably 10 games online and have seen a total of 4 fouls called. Also keepers are way underpowered. Any shot from an angle seems to go in and there are many times they don't even react to weak shots that should be easily saved. It's also a little worrisome that it looks like we'll be waiting weeks for the summer transfers to be updated.

Sounds likes FIFA is going to have its flaws too. Unfortunately yet another year goes by where there isn't the perfect soccer game. I know it gets said every year, but if we could take 80% of PES' gameplay, mix it with 20% FIFA and have a Master League mode with FIFA presentation, license, and team selection then we'd be in heaven.

Alej

Banned
To be fair, I think you're a bit off there. Speed is king in real football (at least in the EPL). It's probably also the easiest way for the developers to make the top players actually better than the lesser players. On the other hand I don't touch FUT and I imagine some of those teams are frustrating where people are picking fast offensive players all over the pitch rather than it being a bit more balanced.

Speed is king in real football? What? When?
Jamaica will won the next world cup then.

Seriously? EPL teams often play a very direct and fast tempo football, but they aren't running like headless chickens on fire.

Problem in FIFA is that it's often faster to run than pass. And this is totally absurd if you know about football (or practice it).

ACE 1991

Never really played much FIFA, but I dicked around with 15 on PC and bought a PS4 with Taken King and Fifa 16 deluxe edition on a whim. Any tips for a pretty new player looking to play ultimate team online? Also, are the xbox one and ps4 player bases pretty comparable?

Red Hood

Banned
My last FIFA was 13 and I've just played the 16 demo, and I thought it controlled very well. Not sure how it is compared to FIFA 15, but I might actually buy a new one since 2012.

On a side note, how active is FIFA on PC? I usually play online seasons.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Speed barely matters at all this year

Honestly have some of you played it online this year? If anything they've Nerfed pace too much

mieumieu

I still don't see why PES2016 is a better game this year after 3 days of offline/online play (even compared to FIFA14; FIFA15 is really unbalanced though).

Weird animation (smooth, but not realistic AT ALL; no one would be able to do these animations in real life), awkward passing, non-existant physics interaction between players.

Overall it is too 'gamey'. At least FIFA tries to be more realistic (with hit or miss results).

Also women football is a quite lethargic experience. I guess I will stick to that...

I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like better this year, and it reflected in my reviews of both. At first, switching from PES to FIFA felt like a step backwards, but I started to really enjoy it.

Both are really good options.

stay gold

Good scores, looking forward to getting my hands on the full game.

Never really played much FIFA, but I dicked around with 15 on PC and bought a PS4 with Taken King and Fifa 16 deluxe edition on a whim. Any tips for a pretty new player looking to play ultimate team online? Also, are the xbox one and ps4 player bases pretty comparable?

For FUT, if you don't plan on spending any money on packs you're probably best off playing a few single player seasons using the bronze starter players you get to build up some coins before venturing online (it doesn't take long, you only need to win 4 or 5 games to win the first few divisions). That will earn you a few thousand coins to buy consumables you'll need (contracts) and start adding some decent players.

Sites like futhead and futbin are also useful as they have a database of all the players in the game with stats etc & also tell you the cheapest price they go for on the market so you don't waste coins.

My only issue with OES is the lack of license and real teams... Who wants to spend hours updating everything. I do like the PES gameplay.... But FIFA gives so much more.

ACE 1991

Good scores, looking forward to getting my hands on the full game.

For FUT, if you don't plan on spending any money on packs you're probably best off playing a few single player seasons using the bronze starter players you get to build up some coins before venturing online (it doesn't take long, you only need to win 4 or 5 games to win the first few divisions). That will earn you a few thousand coins to buy consumables you'll need (contracts) and start adding some decent players.

Sites like futhead and futbin are also useful as they have a database of all the players in the game with stats etc & also tell you the cheapest price they go for on the market so you don't waste coins.

Ok cool! It looks like I'll start out with a premium gold pack or two since I have the deluxe edition.

I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like better this year, and it reflected in my reviews of both. At first, switching from PES to FIFA felt like a step backwards, but I started to really enjoy it.

Both are really good options.

Same I was really hoping there'd be a clear cut better game this year. I need a new football game and I have no idea which one to buy.

My only issue with OES is the lack of license and real teams... Who wants to spend hours updating everything. I do like the PES gameplay.... But FIFA gives so much more.

To be fair it's not really PES fault. EA just locked that shit down the same way Konami have with the Japan national team and league for ages.

Courage

I played Pro Clubs on EA Access and thought it was a significant step up from 15. Speed isn't nearly as emphasized, and the defensive AI is a lot more reactive now.

Hasney

Same I was really hoping there'd be a clear cut better game this year. I need a new football game and I have no idea which one to buy.

So outside of gameplay which appears to be down to personal preference this year:

PES is cheaper and for me the improved MyClub mode allowing you to convert players into trainers and have assistant managers is great, but still lacks a lot of FUT's addictive mature.

If you prefer a more managerial role, Master League in PES is pretty fantastic this year with scouts and a lot of personality like your fans attaching themselves to players and giving them nicknames. I've not tried it yet, but the Be A Legend mode sounds barebones and doesn't even have a fast forward... FIFAs player and manager career modes aren't great either though. They've been stagnant for years because FUT makes dat money.

PES does also have region locked online play, so keep in mind in case you want to play with people outside of your region.

I played Pro Clubs on EA Access and thought it was a significant step up from 15. Speed isn't nearly as emphasized, and the defensive AI is a lot more reactive now.

Just a warning I played 10 hours of early access with like 6 on pro clubs alone and the goalkeepers seem much worse on pro clubs on the full version for some reason. I'm playing the PC version atm.

Courage

Just a warning I played 10 hours of early access with like 6 on pro clubs alone and the goalkeepers seem much worse on pro clubs on the full version for some reason. I'm playing the PC version atm.

That's concerning. I don't think anyone would complain about the improved goalie AI, so intentionally making them worse is baffling.

So... I can't find this anywhere, but does the PS4 version have game face where you can upload a pic of yourself for your created player? If so.. how in the world do you do it?

Lender

The only big reason I stay with Fifa is the licenses. PES is so weak in that regard. And I love to play with my favorite team, which is not included in PES. Let alone that entire league. PES seems fun as a game where you play single matches or stuff like the champions league, but if you wanna do a career mode as manager/player Fifa clearly still is the best you can find. Too bad really, because the new PES sounds very good.

That's concerning. I don't think anyone would complain about the improved goalie AI, so intentionally making them worse is baffling.

Yeah I have no idea what happened. It seems the goalies just hit the floor even for some weak shots that bobble and just let it past them. I'm hoping it's just something that will fix it self when the GKs get higher overalls as we progress through the divisions.

So... I can't find this anywhere, but does the PS4 version have game face where you can upload a pic of yourself for your created player? If so.. how in the world do you do it?

It's all done on the a web app. Google FIFA game face and it should come up. I would link but I'm on my phone :p

Hasney

Trying to make the AI as bad as most keepers in drop in pro club games?

herod

The only big reason I stay with Fifa is the licenses. PES is so weak in that regard. And I love to play with my favorite team, which is not included in PES. Let alone that entire league. PES seems fun as a game where you play single matches or stuff like the champions league, but if you wanna do a career mode as manager/player Fifa clearly still is the best you can find. Too bad really, because the new PES sounds very good.

play out your football fantasies with virtual dolls > gameplay?

Doc_Drop

Speed is king in real football? What? When?
Jamaica will won the next world cup then.

Seriously? EPL teams often play a very direct and fast tempo football, but they aren't running like headless chickens on fire.

Problem in FIFA is that it's often faster to run than pass. And this is totally absurd if you know about football (or practice it).

I thought that my meaning would be easy enough to understand within the context of football but obviously not. What I mean is that pace and direct running are clearly incredibly important to clubs buying players and to the rating of players when scouting. Are you trying to say that Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Hazard, Bale, etc aren't quick as fuck and also rated as some of the, if not the, best players and most highly rated players in football? I never said that you can just stick sprinters into football teams and win everything, and also never said that players who are slower and make up for it in other areas aren't also important

Hasney

but if you wanna do a career mode as manager/player Fifa clearly still is the best you can find. Too bad really, because the new PES sounds very good.

That part isn't true. The 2016 Master League spanks the FIFA manager one. Shame they ballsed up the player version by the sounds of it.

So outside of gameplay which appears to be down to personal preference this year:

PES is cheaper and for me the improved MyClub mode allowing you to convert players into trainers and have assistant managers is great, but still lacks a lot of FUT's addictive mature.

If you prefer a more managerial role, Master League in PES is pretty fantastic this year with scouts and a lot of personality like your fans attaching themselves to players and giving them nicknames. I've not tried it yet, but the Be A Legend mode sounds barebones and doesn't even have a fast forward... FIFAs player and manager career modes aren't great either though. They've been stagnant for years because FUT makes dat money.

PES does also have region locked online play, so keep in mind in case you want to play with people outside of your region.

This is quite a good little write up of the differences between the two. Admittedly I haven't started Master League yet as I'm waiting for the transfers to get updated and I haven't played FIFA yet since I'm grabbing my copy later today. I will be curious to see what the pre-season tournaments and player training do for the FIFA manager mode this year, if it actually makes things feel any different.

That part isn't true. The 2016 Master League spanks the FIFA manager one. Shame they ballsed up the player version by the sounds of it.

While I think in a lot of ways this is probably true, since PES has those nice little touches like getting money for kit sales, and players getting nicknames. One thing PES can't offer that FIFA can, and this is only because of the way I like playing now manager modes, is the ability to play with a team in Football League 2 and try and build a team and get promoted all the way to the BPL. Granted this is a specific use case, but it has always been the most enjoyable for me to play as there is a real sense of accomplishment.

Yeah I have no idea what happened. It seems the goalies just hit the floor even for some weak shots that bobble and just let it past them. I'm hoping it's just something that will fix it self when the GKs get higher overalls as we progress through the divisions.

It's all done on the a web app. Google FIFA game face and it should come up. I would link but I'm on my phone :p

Do you know if the game face is only for the pro club... I just wantto put my face on my player for my favorite team.

Hasney

While I think in a lot of ways this is probably true, since PES has those nice little touches like getting money for kit sales, and players getting nicknames. One thing PES can't offer that FIFA can, and this is only because of the way I like playing now manager modes, is the ability to play with a team in Football League 2 and try and build a team and get promoted all the way to the BPL. Granted this is a specific use case, but it has always been the most enjoyable for me to play as there is a real sense of accomplishment.

Ah, that's true. How I play Football Manager too. At least we finally got the Championship a few years back!

Lender

play out your football fantasies with virtual dolls > gameplay?
In one regard, yes. Don't get wrong, I still believe gameplay is massively important, but I just love playing with my favorite team. I don't see what's wrong with that. And PES doesn't give me that option sadly. I might pick it up when it's a bit cheaper, but for now I think I'll stick to Fifa.

Been hearing the PES is actually way better then Fifa this year all across the board. Gonna try that out this year instead of Fifa

I have been watching some games on youtube... and the games are really really quick... I don't know if I like it as much as the slowed down game.... .but to each his own.

People complaining about pace being nerfed too much: pacey players still exhibit clear advantages over slower defenders in the game, but only when the attackers are not in possession of the ball. Defenders can keep up only when chasing a player who has possession, and if you think about it, it sorta makes sense. A player who is dribbling isn't likely to be running at full pace when the ball is close to their feet.

It makes flicking the right stick to play the ball directly in front of you while sprinting with very important. And because these forward flicks can vary in distance, running down the wings is much trickier to pull off, but feasibly not impossible.

On the plus side, this also means that playing slower, stronger defenders and centre midfielders is feasible again, especially if they have solid passing to go with it.

In the 6 or 7 games I've played online in Seasons with the XB1 EA Access version, anyone who has tried to play similarly to 15, aka lobbed through balls being the primary method of getting the ball to your strikers/wingers, have very rarely succeeded in scoring.

Smart passing play to create space for your best shooters in and around the box is the way to go, with shorter controlled passes preferred as long passes or rushed blind ping pong passes are intercepted easily by defenders. In addition, people using high pressure won't be as effective if you're constantly passing the ball and opening up their defence. The directed pass using RB is useful if you need to pass a fair distance, but they're risky as the receiving player has a large chance of screwing up the first touch and losing possession.

You can still utilise lobbed balls going forward, but they only succeed when the attacker has plenty of space really.

Headers also seem to have finally found a good middle ground. Actually possible to pull off from well placed crosses and corners compared to 15 but not OP like they were in 14. And keepers are much better than 15 but still very prone to parry easily catchable balls. Nothing remotely game breaking though.

Stamina also seems to be slightly more important. Bringing on fresh players late seem to have more of an impact that what I can remember in any recent FIFA game, though it's a bit early to say this is definitely the case.

And nothing ever will stop it most likely, unless EA lose the license.

That doesn't seem a big deal since you can get version files and mods.

It seems more the issue that PES is the much better single player game, whereas FIFA is popular because its online modes are miles ahead of PES.

I guess most players buy the game and pass the great majority of time online and in Ultimate Team or however it's called, and PES is no match there. Then you have thousands of youtubers who do just that, so FIFA popularity increases because people watch the videos and so want to play FIFA as well.

Hasney

Oh, I totally agree, but I've seen it brought up so many times that it's still a big deal to a lot of people. Either they're on XBox One or don't want to bother with editing.

Ah, that's true. How I play Football Manager too. At least we finally got the Championship a few years back!

It really is the most rewarding and most fun to play Football Manager in my opinion and that's why I try and do that in FIFA too.

It seems more the issue that PES is the much better single player game, whereas FIFA is popular because its online modes are miles ahead of PES.

I guess most players buy the game and pass the great majority of time online and in Ultimate Team or however it's called, and PES is no match there. Then you have thousands of youtubers who do just that, so FIFA popularity increases because people watch the videos and so want to play FIFA as well.

Oh, I totally agree, but I've seen it brought up so many times that it's still a big deal to a lot of people. Either they're on XBox One or don't want to bother with editing.

While I agree that Pro Evo is the better playing single player game, and it sounds like a lot of critics agree, game play is somewhat subjective. PES offers the more true to life game on the pitch, but for a lot of casuals FIFA offers what they deem to be more fun game play. It's faster, easier to score, and one could argue more pick up and play than PES. Tack on top of that the licenses (and the fact that people don't want to put the time into editing, can't because of XB1, or don't know that you can download image files) and it isn't surprising that FIFA outsells PES by a wide margin.

Played FIFA on EA Access and really didn't like it. Been playing FIFA exclusively over PES since '09 and this year I've made the switch back.

The IGN review pretty much sums up my thoughts. Implore everyone who's on the fence to give PES a real go - it's genuinely fantastic this year and the most fun I've had on a footy game since PES6

Hasney

FIFA destroys PES based on licensing alone. Imagine playing Forza/GT with GTA-brand cars.

Done. Hell, keep the gameplay the same and I'd be in there too. Now the editing is back, it's pretty moot anyway unless you're on XBox One.

Pro%2BEvolution%2BSoccer%2B2016_20150917191025.jpg

So mods are not on xbone? Why?

Something to do with MS restrictions. Same with PS4 now having to put in individual kits at a time rather than just having a whole file.

Top Bottom