• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 16 - Review Thread

etta

my hard graphic balls
Done. Hell, keep the gameplay the same and I'd be in there too. Now the editing is back, it's pretty moot anyway unless you're on XBox One.
You don't get it. I'd have fun with faux-brand cars too, but it's an entirely different thing from simulating the reality. You don't have to understand it, though, but don't act like it's not important.
Also, FIFA does EPL live, with score boards and live squads. I myself like to play the upcoming Chelsea match on a weekly basis, with the actual squad rotation. I usually do that 30 min before the match. Also, that virtual dolls > gameplay is far too definitive. Some of us like FIFA gameplay and, hold on to something, even go so far as to dislike PES's gameplay!

Hasney

You don't get it. I'd have fun with faux-brand cars too, but it's an entirely different thing from simulating the reality. You don't have to understand it, though, but don't act like it's not important.
Also, FIFA does EPL live, with score boards and live squads. I myself like to play the upcoming Chelsea match on a weekley basis, with the actual squad rotation. I usually do that 30 min before the match. Also, that virtual dolls > gameplay is far too definitive. Some of us like FIFA gameplay and, hold on to something, even go so far as to dislike PES's gameplay!

Well yeah, I said earlier that the games were so close that gameplay is likely to be down to personal preference so I'm not even sure why that's been brought up.

If the colours were right on PES by default, I probably wouldn't have bothered importing the kits. Feels strange to go through that just for some advertising on a shirt. But dammit, the famous Yorkshire Whites don't play in purple!

I don't get all the bellyaching about pace not being OP. I've played a few games in early access and it seems fine for me. I can definitely feel the difference between 90 pace and 60 pace, especially when opposition wingers at 90pace are taking on my 70 pace fullbacks. I love what they have done with the game, it's much more realistic and fun. And I also love the fact that stamina matters much more. There's a noticeable difference between players with 90 stamina and 60 stamina. There could be a few tweaks to player responsiveness, but I'm loving what I see so far.

Most of my matches have been with online players trying out FIFA 15 tactics the entire game. Or at least a handful have been trying to spam RB+A/driven pass to bypass my defense. Reminds me of players who would try to use full-power Y passes in previous games. Glad that doesn't work. Why does everyone in this shit community of online FIFA players always try to exploit a method to score --- oh wait it's the internet and everyone is horrible.

Hasney

I don't get all the bellyaching about pace not being OP. I've played a few games in early access and it seems fine for me. I can definitely feel the difference between 90 pace and 60 pace, especially when opposition wingers at 90pace are taking on my 70 pace fullbacks. I love what they have done with the game, it's much more realistic and fun. And I also love the fact that stamina matters much more. There's a noticeable difference between players with 90 stamina and 60 stamina. There could be a few tweaks to player responsiveness, but I'm loving what I see so far.

Most of my matches have been with online players trying out FIFA 15 tactics the entire game. Or at least a handful have been trying to spam RB+A/driven pass to bypass my defense. Reminds me of players who would try to use full-power Y passes in previous games. Glad that doesn't work. Why does everyone in this shit community of online FIFA players always try to exploit a method to score --- oh wait it's the internet and everyone is horrible.

My brother is complaining that it's been balanced "too much like a videogame" and I basically told him that it needs to be a game first and a simulation second. Sure, even on the ball Terry shouldn't be able to keep up with Navas or Sterling, but for the game to go back to being enjoyable, it had to be done. Last year was a joke for just pace and ball over the top.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well yeah, I said earlier that the games were so close that gameplay is likely to be down to personal preference so I'm not even sure why that's been brought up.

If the colours were right on PES by default, I probably wouldn't have bothered importing the kits. Feels strange to go through that just for some advertising on a shirt. But dammit, the famous Yorkshire Whites don't play in purple!
Oh, my bad. I thought you made that statement.

Either way, licensing is the simulation part of the game, even if the game itself is arcadey in mechanics. I am glad I don't have to chose, because I love FIFA gameplay and visuals.

Hasney

Oh, my bad. I thought you made that statement.

Either way, licensing is the simulation part of the game, even if the game itself is arcadey in mechanics. I am glad I don't have to chose, because I love FIFA gameplay and visuals.

Yeah, it's so close now in terms of quality that I'll be making a choice every year rather than just sticking with one series each year. Still contemplating getting FIFA this year too. Much preferred the PES demo, but watching videos and listening to my brothers thoughts, I'm tempted to grab it myself.

Dahaka

My brother is complaining that it's been balanced "too much like a videogame" and I basically told him that it needs to be a game first and a simulation second. Sure, even on the ball Terry shouldn't be able to keep up with Navas or Sterling, but for the game to go back to being enjoyable, it had to be done. Last year was a joke for just pace and ball over the top.

No, maybe change the stamina system so sprints dry it out faster?
Terry being as fast as Navas or Sterling is immersion breaking for me and really a joke.

People complaining about pace being nerfed too much: pacey players still exhibit clear advantages over slower defenders in the game, but only when the attackers are not in possession of the ball. Defenders can keep up only when chasing a player who has possession, and if you think about it, it sorta makes sense. A player who is dribbling isn't likely to be running at full pace when the ball is close to their feet.

It makes flicking the right stick to play the ball directly in front of you while sprinting with very important. And because these forward flicks can vary in distance, running down the wings is much trickier to pull off, but feasibly not impossible.

On the plus side, this also means that playing slower, stronger defenders and centre midfielders is feasible again, especially if they have solid passing to go with it.

In the 6 or 7 games I've played online in Seasons with the XB1 EA Access version, anyone who has tried to play similarly to 15, aka lobbed through balls being the primary method of getting the ball to your strikers/wingers, have very rarely succeeded in scoring.

Smart passing play to create space for your best shooters in and around the box is the way to go, with shorter controlled passes preferred as long passes or rushed blind ping pong passes are intercepted easily by defenders. In addition, people using high pressure won't be as effective if you're constantly passing the ball and opening up their defence. The directed pass using RB is useful if you need to pass a fair distance, but they're risky as the receiving player has a large chance of screwing up the first touch and losing possession.

You can still utilise lobbed balls going forward, but they only succeed when the attacker has plenty of space really.

Headers also seem to have finally found a good middle ground. Actually possible to pull off from well placed crosses and corners compared to 15 but not OP like they were in 14. And keepers are much better than 15 but still very prone to parry easily catchable balls. Nothing remotely game breaking though.

Stamina also seems to be slightly more important. Bringing on fresh players late seem to have more of an impact that what I can remember in any recent FIFA game, though it's a bit early to say this is definitely the case.

Cheers, agreed 100%

This year fifa slower pace is a blessing, the nerfing on ball control and the buffed defense improved the game a whole lot

Sadly the career mode is still a shame (but I still play it anyway)
Online seasons also have not changed but they were quite ok
UT is not my thing but might try it this year with a bit more emphasis.

I can finally play with slow strong attackers and techinical midfield and not be out paced by a team of "Aubameyangs"
Hopefully some people will choose teams other than real madrid also, noted that Cristiano Ronaldo is not that much OP anymore (still is like it should for a really good player but now its not ridiculous)
Sadly my beloved Brazilian Serie A is out (most teams on rest of the world) but my Atlético Paranaense is there so I'll be fine

Played the PES demo, its a great game to and I would be happy with it, but I still find it worse than fifa, I think the reviews are being more positive towards it because it evolved more than fifa (it desperatly needed to, PES2015 was garbage)

Top Bottom