• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Damn loan Lacazette is amazing

Scored 15 goals in 3 games and has made squad battles a walk in the park

In elite 3 as of now so basically guaranteed some nice rewards tomorrow

After getting sick of assisted controls, I decided to go manual.

After getting the hang of it a bit, I bumped the difficulty up to world class and thought I found the right balance after beating Italy 2-0 with España. Next game -- Switzerland-Poland. Poland totally blitzed my defence and I was down 4-0 in 20 mins. This striker got his hat-trick in 10. Game finished 5-1.

Professional may be where it's at... but seriously the difficulty can feel really inconsistent at times.

Putosaure

Can somebody please explain to me what FUT is all about ?
I mean I don't know a lot in football and my first two matches with my team ended in victories : 9-0 and 10-0. Is there supposed to be challenge or something ? Or is the Solo useless and the meat of the game is online ?

Can somebody please explain to me what FUT is all about ?
I mean I don't know a lot in football and my first two matches with my team ended in victories : 9-0 and 10-0. Is there supposed to be challenge or something ? Or is the Solo useless and the meat of the game is online ?

Depends on the difficulty you're playing on. If you're new to FIFA then semi-pro is where you should set the bar to get a bit of a challenge. Otherwise bump to professional.

If you go online and do FUT Seasons that'll be good practice and very challenging since playing against someone else is harder than against the computer. The main draw of FUT though is to build a team that works be it online or single player.

Blackie

A friend came over and asked to play a versus match on Switch. Yeah, uh I got totally decimated. This game has a lot of depth...

Defending in this game is something else. There are times where not one team can score a goal against me, but there are other times where they easily score 2 goals in less than 10 minutes.

I just can not quite get the hang of defending forward. I always need them to reach the 16 so they eventually make another passing mistake.

Overall FIFA 18 is miles better than FIFA 17. It is not even close.

Kakaroach

Played the game all weekend long as I said. Holy crap both my career mode and fut are so much fun. I'm not planning on spending any money on FIFA points so I'll try building my squad from the ground up and see how it goes.

Picked Arsenal in my career and sold off a ton of players and brought in Griezmann and Mahrez. I knew I was gonna love this game but this is something else.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
In 10 hours this weekend I got the hand on Fifa 18.

After 50 hours I was still struggling with Fifa 17, something was very wrong with this game.

jts

...hate me...
The smartphone companion app doesn’t even support Switch version of FUT. Ugh.

Say what you want, this game may get the basics well, like gameplay, and looks ok with solid 60fps. Rest of its qualities come from Nintendo Switch’s own inherent strengths (portability, hybrid, joy-cons).

Otherwise it is seriously gimped. Reasons may be this or that, or engines or whatever the hell. I don’t believe in saying “lazy devs” (almost ever) and I certainly don’t think that’s the case the particular dev studio that ported FIFA over to the Nintendo Switch with a specific spec-sheet and budget for it, but there is, from the publisher and franchise owner, a very strong sense of lack of commitment and investment, as just dipping the toes or something worse.

Basically, another test, at full price. Except one that if it’s passed I’m not sure next year’s version will be much better than a roster update.

If that’s the case I’ll keep playing 18 by then. It’s fun and plays decent and it’s a very good addition to the Switch’s library, if analyzed in a vacuum. Don’t have interest in paying to upgrade if the huge feature gap isn’t closed in a significant way.

nordique

Got fifa 18 on switch

Looks like fifa 15 on ps4 (last fifa I purchased, still have)

Plays fantastic. Loving this game.

I haven't sat in front of a games console since uncharted 4 came out. I have no time for that these days. Switch is perfect for those in similar situation.

I highly recommend getting this game.

I'm thinking about FIFA18 on Switch, but I'm not sure whether I should get it digitally or on cartridge. I can get the physical version are 10 bucks cheaper than the digital download. Does the cartridge version have a required install, like NBA 2K18?

What do you guys think?

Alej

Banned
Wtf. Just played the new FIFA (ps4 version) at friend house last night. Two hours of pain.

Is this the real deal? I mean, coming from PES2018, FIFA18 plays like utter shit. Very floaty and random, and goalkeepers are the worst i have seen in a football game for years. Worse than PES2015 to me.

Then, 5 goals per game at minimum (we are not the least experienced fifa players out there), ping pong passing like never before. The game is pretty, with a kind of sepia filter though.

My friend is going to sell it soon. Going for FIFA18 Switch version or PES2018 PS4, not sure about it yet.

Lylo

Man, something that i find weird, i don't know if it applies to other languages, but the brazilian commentary is annoying some times because they break the fourth wall all the time, for example, when you are controlling Lionel Messi, he says: "It's a great privilege for the player to control Messi" or " Welcome to FIFA here on Nintendo Switch". That's awkward.

Man, something that i find weird, i don't know if it applies to other languages, but the brazilian commentary is annoying some times because they break the fourth wall all the time, for example, when you are controlling Lionel Messi, he says: "It's a great privilege for the player to control Messi" or " Welcome to FIFA here on Nintendo Switch". That's awkward.
The welcome to FIFA on the Switch is also on the English and Spanish commentary from what I've played

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Elite 2 in the Squad Challenges and best pull from the packs was Howedes :(

On another note - be wary about doing SBCs in your browser. I've done more than 20 but the trophy hasn't unlocked. Gonna try to do some more on the console to trigger it.

Zedark

I'm thinking about FIFA18 on Switch, but I'm not sure whether I should get it digitally or on cartridge. I can get the physical version are 10 bucks cheaper than the digital download. Does the cartridge version have a required install, like NBA 2K18?

What do you guys think?

It doesn't. There's a 113 MB patch, but you can probably play without it if you have no internet access at all.

--------------

Does anyone have a link for a comprehensive overview of player potentials? The transfer system is convoluted as is, so I want to be able to tell how good players are without scouting the whole world. Thanks!

Got a small update on Origin. Played a few games and the speed was faster (too much for my taste) so I changed User/AI sliders for Acceleration to 48 and Sprint Speed to 46 and it feels more balanced again. Not sure what else it changed.

Lashley

They've made jostling and shielding against the AI completely useless this year :/

They win the ball easily, got twink wingers pushing my CDM's or CB's off the ball easily

Does career mode let you do the franchise/season thing? I mostly like playing seasons with teams so just want to make sure that’s there for switch. Most make you play as coach and get that but forget what mode it was.

It doesn't. There's a 113 MB patch, but you can probably play without it if you have no internet access at all.

--------------

Does anyone have a link for a comprehensive overview of player potentials? The transfer system is convoluted as is, so I want to be able to tell how good players are without scouting the whole world. Thanks!

Here.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Haven't bought a Fifa since 13( bought every Fifa before that)

Loving 18 demo, but my favourite mode is ultimate team and am tempted to buy the game.

Have they improved the amount of coins you can get and the amount of packs you can earn from previous games in UT?

In previous fifas it was basically a micro transaction frenzy, which I unfortunately got slightly addicted too in my younger years. Don't want that happening again

Does anyone know if alt-tabbing during a singleplayer FUT game disconnects you like it does online?

I'm planning on farming coins and rewards while I wait for the weekend league, since my team already annihilates anything. xD

Pro tip: IF Locadia is amazing, and it's only 10k.

pieface

Wtf. Just played the new FIFA (ps4 version) at friend house last night. Two hours of pain.

Is this the real deal? I mean, coming from PES2018, FIFA18 plays like utter shit. Very floaty and random, and goalkeepers are the worst i have seen in a football game for years. Worse than PES2015 to me.

Then, 5 goals per game at minimum (we are not the least experienced fifa players out there), ping pong passing like never before. The game is pretty, with a kind of sepia filter though.

My friend is going to sell it soon. Going for FIFA18 Switch version or PES2018 PS4, not sure about it yet.

Takes time to learn how to defend. The number of goals wind down when you work out how. It's very different from PES, and the gameplay of PES is probably slightly better (offline) but everything else is definitely loads better on FIFA.

WhatNXt

Been looking around trying to find the Switch version as cheap as possible and stumbled across a good resource for region free goodness.

Has this been posted here before?
https://eshop.calyh.re/

It's £41.59 on the Japanese eShop (if this is correct)
Around £45-46 if you buy via the Russian or Norwegian eShops, and £44 if you buy from the US eShop.

I'm not sure what happens vis a vis currency conversion charges.

And more importantly I'm not sure what happens with regard to player representation and things. Obviously on regional covers in the past there would be local players too, but this year is it just Cristiano? I'm assuming the game is the same everywhere.. all commentary included with whatever package you buy? Or would that be regional too?

Alej

Banned
Takes time to learn how to defend. The number of goals wind down when you work out how. It's very different from PES, and the gameplay of PES is probably slightly better (offline) but everything else is definitely loads better on FIFA.

I don't think so, PES needs more content and a better presentation but everything else goes to it. Even online it is considerably better than last year but i didn't test FIFA18 online so... Won't talk much about it, sorry for being the first to bring PES on the table here.

But no, pace is broken to me for what'ive played. I can defend very well, i'm not that bad but there was way too much goals yesterday. That's not usual at all. Keepers weren't reacting normally. Too bad it was a pretty strong point for FIFA in years.

And it didn't animate well. I could say i' m not satisfied with animations and how they are synced with your input for an half decade, but here it is too floaty and disjointed to me. Abysmal experience pad in hands. I think it is even more evident when playing the two games. There is a lack of cohesiveness in tempo as a whole, and too much urgency. It's not football as i can see it on the real pitch.

It looks good, not realistically good but eyes candy good, that's about it.

Too bad i strongly prefer FIFA career mode. But they lost me with this.

There: https://youtu.be/H3cNM9KoKIU
It's the same i've experienced last night. I'm not a fool, i guess.

Anybody else have teams with guys with flag faces? Brighton Albion had half the team with that crap. I assume its a generic face placeholder.

Also, anybody hooked the pro controller up while in portable mode? In other words... using the pro controller instead of the joycons in portable/ table top mode.

Carbonox

Nothing more deflating than getting my first TotW player in a pack and it's fucking Ligue 1's Hilton. Plus cos it was obtained in a Squad Builder pack I can't sell it on. :lol

Ah well. Was a nice moment.

So how do you practice being goalkeeper for penalty kicks? Just ran into this for a game and had no idea what to do and I didn't see it in the Skill Games.

Mr E.

Anybody else have teams with guys with flag faces? Brighton Albion had half the team with that crap. I assume its a generic face placeholder.

Also, anybody hooked the pro controller up while in portable mode? In other words... using the pro controller instead of the joycons in portable/ table top mode.
It’s a bug.

So how do you practice being goalkeeper for penalty kicks? Just ran into this for a game and had no idea what to do and I didn't see it in the Skill Games.

Not sure about practicing, but you use the right stick to dive in a particular direction, left stick to position the keeper, and the face buttons for some funny distractions.

heringer

So, people say I should never buy packs in FUT, only players in the transfer market.

But then, how will I get awesome players like Ronaldo, Maradona, Zidane, etc? :(

As in long press for power then a quick tap to keep it down or the other way around?

Also, are you shitting me? Is this new? It's been pissing me off for years but I've never been arsed to look it up.

Yeah, press (tap) it again as soon as you let go of the button the first time.

It was in last year, not sure about before that (I think it has been in for a few years).

jamonbread

Neo Member

Some of the reviews for the Switch version mention that it feels faster than the other console versions, and feels more arcade like overall. Less animations might help the gameplay feel more fluid.

Lashley

Got some decent players in my rewards from the squad battles today, Carvajal being the best, Rooney too (Who is great as a CAM)

I love Lacazette, he was just a loan though :( Got Vardy for 40k, so hoping he's just as good. Their stats are quite similar.

Top Bottom