• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

I find that through balls on Professional in the Switch version are pretty much useless unless you're using Possession tactic. They just get cut out every time. I don't remember this being the case in the PC version at all.

krpiper

On the switch I find that semi pro is too easy (i tend to win 4-0ish) but Professional I can barely get a shot off, do I just have to git gud or am I missing something?

I find that through balls on Professional in the Switch version are pretty much useless unless you're using Possession tactic. They just get cut out every time. I don't remember this being the case in the PC version at all.

You just have to be very, very careful with them. Like in real life. I think that they made defending AI a lot better, now you can't just pass right by them.

I spent most of the last evening practising through balls in friendlies. You can do it, but it is damn hard. Makes them a lot more satisfying when you actually get a good through ball.

I am really liking this, skill game passing sucks tho. Damn it's hard with my guys. Is it easier if I pick someone with godlike passing? Now my team's highest passing is in the mid 70's...

pbsapeer

Banned
Professional on switch feels perfect. I've always played with professional in career mode and I'm able to score goals easily but also concede very easily. Good job I'm playing as Liverpool I guess.

Playing portable is excellent. Really an pleased with the switch version.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I mistakely believed we couldn't change tactics on Switch, and at the end I can allocate 8 of them on the dpad. Was it already the case in FIFA 17? If so I stupidly played a year with only 4 tactics.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
Do FUT players find the SBC worthwhile? I'm looking at the Mane one, and even if you had to buy all the cards, it's probably going to be a fraction of the cost of actually buying a Mane card. For the others, I'm not so sure. I guess it would work out a bit cheaper to buy cards to fulfill an SBC and get a good pack than just to buy the pack outright with coins, but I suppose it's still kind of close to buying cards, which everyone says you shouldn't do.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Do FUT players find the SBC worthwhile? I'm looking at the Mane one, and even if you had to buy all the cards, it's probably going to be a fraction of the cost of actually buying a Mane card. For the others, I'm not so sure. I guess it would work out a bit cheaper to buy cards to fulfill an SBC and get a good pack than just to buy the pack outright with coins, but I suppose it's still kind of close to buying cards, which everyone says you shouldn't do.

Nah, they're a waste of time and money

cmc`

Neo Member
I mostly use my Switch handheld and I must say that FIFA 18 drains the battery more than any other game I've encountered.

I've never really played FUT and it is very confusing :D

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member

Since posting that question, I realised one of the requirements for the Mane SBC was having a Mane card. I don't think I'm ever going to reach a level where I'm going after special versions of high level players. Watched a Youtube video about this particular SBC and the guy is spending several hundred thousand coins on this. I've been playing quite a bit since the weekend and only have 40k coins.

It really depends on the SBCs.

Regular ones don't really matter that much unless you happen to have players laying around, but specific ones for special players (like POTM or the Christmas ones) may be well worth it.

Especially so towards the end of the season, when rewards are much better because of TOTS.

Last year I got some nice players (mostly tots) from the single-league sbc where you traded in a full gold team for a players pack of a given league.

WhatNXt

I bought FIFA the last couple of years but I didn't play FUT last year, playing it for the first time now - and on Switch - so not the fully featured version I'm guessing (?) - agree that its a bit confusing. Kinda getting it now though.

I played a bunch of the training skill games, an exhibition or two, three or four games of an offline season last night then tried my hand at online for a few games (lost every one) - and overall, I'm pretty happy. I looked up from the game and hours had passed!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It really depends on the SBCs.

Regular ones don't really matter that much unless you happen to have players laying around, but specific ones for special players (like POTM or the Christmas ones) may be well worth it.

Especially so towards the end of the season, when rewards are much better because of TOTS.

Last year I got some nice players (mostly tots) from the single-league sbc where you traded in a full gold team for a players pack of a given league.

You'd still need to spend hundreds of thousands getting players if you don't have them, since everyone raises the prices of players when they're needed in a sbc

pieface

I don't think so, PES needs more content and a better presentation but everything else goes to it. Even online it is considerably better than last year but i didn't test FIFA18 online so... Won't talk much about it, sorry for being the first to bring PES on the table here.

But no, pace is broken to me for what'ive played. I can defend very well, i'm not that bad but there was way too much goals yesterday. That's not usual at all. Keepers weren't reacting normally. Too bad it was a pretty strong point for FIFA in years.

And it didn't animate well. I could say i' m not satisfied with animations and how they are synced with your input for an half decade, but here it is too floaty and disjointed to me. Abysmal experience pad in hands. I think it is even more evident when playing the two games. There is a lack of cohesiveness in tempo as a whole, and too much urgency. It's not football as i can see it on the real pitch.

It looks good, not realistically good but eyes candy good, that's about it.

Too bad i strongly prefer FIFA career mode. But they lost me with this.

There: https://youtu.be/H3cNM9KoKIU
It's the same i've experienced last night. I'm not a fool, i guess.

I don't understand what the video is showing?

Playing with 5 star teams and not expecting them to be a bit special?

I only play with 3-4 star teams. Better game then. I've never understood how people enjoy playing with 5 star teams so much. Everything is so assisted.

Alej

Banned
I don't understand what the video is showing?

Playing with 5 star teams and not expecting them to be a bit special?

I only play with 3-4 star teams. Better game then. I've never understood how people enjoy playing with 5 star teams so much. Everything is so assisted.

It is showing something that is not football nor a good video game. And i care about that myself.

I think i won't be alone on this. EA will lose customers in the long end.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It is showing something that is not football nor a good video game. And i care about that myself.

I think i won't be alone on this. EA will lose customers in the long end.

Isn't what's in the video played with assists on? If you want less of that switch to manual.

You'd still need to spend hundreds of thousands getting players if you don't have them, since everyone raises the prices of players when they're needed in a sbc

Yes, but if you play the weekend league and are good or mostly good you'll get plenty of coins and players to trade for better ones.

FUT is a time and money consuming endeavour. xD

And more importantly, it's terribly unfair.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In the Switch version the defending AI for the AI teams is too scripted for my taste. For example they always can intercept through balls even if the second before they started running in the other direction to catch another attacker.

Practically you're better playing without through balls unless it's a counter in superiority.

This doesn't happen in the PC version.

In the Switch version the defending AI for the AI teams is too scripted for my taste. For example they always can intercept through balls even if the second before they started running in the other direction to catch another attacker.

Practically you're better playing without through balls unless it's a counter in superiority.

Yeh, I said this earlier. The only way I find through balls useful is if you manage to work the defenders out of position and there's clear space ahead, which seems much easier to do if your tactic is set to Possession.

Is there a way to tweak this in the settings? I'm not sure what it would even be called.

WhatNXt

I've not picked that up.. I use through balls quite a lot, or trigger a runner for a through ball to take defenders away from my run, but I've not played this years FIFA on PS/PC to compare.

It's interesting the way in replay mode you can briefly see the clothing simulation happen when you move playback. Does that happen on the other versions?

It definitely feels 'arcadey' but I like that

Also I find I'm having way more success defensively by outright abandoning attempts to 'contain' and cut off passing routes, and just reverting to chasing after the ball-carrier and tackling him.

First patch is up on PC and coming soon to consoles.

Hey FIFA Fans!

The first title update for FIFA 18 is now available on PC.

This update includes the following changes:

Added the following in FIFA Ultimate team:
New functionality to Champions Channel including missed shots and hidden timeline.

Addressed the following in FIFA Ultimate team:
An issue with the extra time display on the Champions Channel timeline.
An issue with locked EASFC catalogue kits on opponent teams in Squad Battles.
An issue where the crowd would have incorrect flags when the home team is wearing a certain kit.
An issue where a player could crash when watching a FUT Champions Channel match.
An issue where players could control the goalkeeper in FUT Single Player modes.
Changed Matches Remaining to Attempts Remaining in FUT Champions Daily Knockout Tournament.
Changed the Possible Points text in Squad Battles to Projected Match Points.
Updated loan player portraits in the EASFC Catalogue.
Visual improvements to some FUT item types.

Addressed the following in Gameplay:
Tuned goalkeeper reactions in certain situations.
Tuned down the difficulty for Amateur and Semi-Pro difficulties.
Reduced shot accuracy and slightly increased goalkeeper reaction times in certain in-game situations.

Added the following in The Journey Hunter Returns:
Icons in cinematic scenes to indicate the user-triggered action.
Triggered actions are: Personality, FIFA 17 Result, Match Result, Key Decision, Player Performance, Team Performance, Partnership Rating

Addressed the following in The Journey Hunter Returns:
An issue where the player could crash during a cinematic in Chapter 5.

Added the following in Career Mode:
Added option to delegate contract renewals.
Allow users to renegotiate contract with a player whose release clause has been paid.

Addressed the following in Career Mode:
An issue where users could use a loaned player as part of a transfer deal.
An issue where Breaking News weren't getting refreshed.

Addressed the following in Online Modes:
An issue in Pro Clubs where a player could return to an invisible lobby after a match.
Enabled the opponent indicators in online matches.
Improvements were made to the kit clashing logic.

Audio / Visual / Presentation Changes:
Adding this season’s authentic Bundesliga broadcast package.
Addressed multiple minor audio issues.
Improvements to the goal net animations.

Thanks to those who’ve provided feedback. Throughout the course of the FIFA 18 season we'll provide you with more information and updates if and when they become available.

The FIFA Team

Yeh, I said this earlier. The only way I find through balls useful is if you manage to work the defenders out of position and there's clear space ahead, which seems much easier to do if your tactic is set to Possession.

Is there a way to tweak this in the settings? I'm not sure what it would even be called.

I play on Worldclass on the Switch and can't confirm this. Are you sending players for a run with the R button? Through balls work just like they're supposed to. At least with intermediate-level teams (I'm playing the Austrian league, maybe it's different with world-class teams ...l

I play on Worldclass on the Switch and can't confirm this. Are you sending players for a run with the R button? Through balls work just like they're supposed to. At least with intermediate-level teams (I'm playing the Austrian league, maybe it's different with world-class teams ...l

Yup, started career today and got two goals from through balls (although Pukki is kind of known for making goals from through balls).

One just needs to think a little. It is more like real football now, last FIFA I played (15) it was so easy to just pass around defenders and make easy goals...

...Isn't it L?

The player makes a run, and the defender keeps up with him and makes an interception, sometimes when it seems unlikely they'd be able to do so. Playing on Professional.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Are you using manual or assisted passes?

Barzul

FIFA 18 completely fucked my style of defending. In previous FIFA's I was able to get away with no jockeying and just proper positioning and the standing tackle. Now standing tackles that miss really take you out of the game.

Glad to see they patched keeper reactions, I've conceded some really stupid obvious saves in FUT.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For the through balls I use assisted, since I'm not good enough to get direction and power just right. Everything else is on semi. I still feel like I'm in control though, contrary to regular assisted passing.

I guess that can explain it, assisted probably overrules the defending AI. I use manual. And the defender just moves towards where my through pass is going no matter what he did in the previous second.

I'm using assisted and the vast majority of through balls get cut out. Never noticed that happening in previous FIFAs or in the PC version trial I played.

heringer

It's definitely harder than in PC version, but not to the point that it bothers me. In fact, I think through balls are supposed to be harder anyway.

NHale

I use through balls like 95% of attack plays

Really? Online or single player (and if SP in which difficulty)? Because through balls to me don't get me anywhere online or playing at professional or higher unless I create a gap by moving defenders out of position beforehand.

The trick is to make sure your runner is right on the line to get behind their defender just as you make the pass. If the defenders have half a step on the runner, they'll cut out the pass.

Top Bottom