• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Kovacs

Not all stadiums are like this and the sun shines brightly. Is this a thing in real life though with Wembly? Never been there

Wembley can get some shadows, but it's nowhere near as dark inside as this makes it out to be.

For comparison here is a panorama of the ground that I took at the Spurs V Juventus friendly in August at around 5pm. So pretty much the same season and time that the game settings were.

6dLWdBD.jpg

Noticed the Switch version doesn't have the expanded and redeveloped stadiums which were introduced in FIFA 17.

The Etihad Stadium lacks the expanded South Stand and Anfield lacks the expanded main stand. The stadium images pre match include the expansions, but the in game models don't feature them.

To make matters worse the commentary references the expansions as being in place. If you play at Anfield the commentators talk about being in the newly created section, while the on screen stadium shows the old stand....

ronpontelle

Neo Member
Noticed the Switch version doesn't have the expanded and redeveloped stadiums which were introduced in FIFA 17.

The Etihad Stadium lacks the expanded South Stand and Anfield lacks the expanded main stand. The stadium images pre match include the expansions, but the in game models don't feature them.

To make matters worse the commentary references the expansions as being in place. If you play at Anfield the commentators talk about being in the newly created section, while the on screen stadium shows the old stand....
The commentators also expect Arsenal to still beat Spurs!

Has anybody had any problems leaving the Switch in sleep mode with FIFA suspended?

The last two nights I've left it suspended and the next day the system has been pretty much unresponsive, apart from power options (which don't work) and holding down the home button. I can't actually select anything and had to hold the power button down for a while until it shut down.

Hoping it's a bug in FIFA and not a problem with the Switch. Will try it with Splatoon tonight.

Edit: I've also noticed it being incredibly dark. Last night was a struggle to see the ball - I thought it was the migraine that followed it, but trying it again it's really bloody dark!

Has anybody had any problems leaving the Switch in sleep mode with FIFA suspended?

The last two nights I've left it suspended and the next day the system has been pretty much unresponsive, apart from power options (which don't work) and holding down the home button. I can't actually select anything and had to hold the power button down for a while until it shut down.

Hoping it's a bug in FIFA and not a problem with the Switch. Will try it with Splatoon tonight.

Edit: I've also noticed it being incredibly dark. Last night was a struggle to see the ball - I thought it was the migraine that followed it, but trying it again it's really bloody dark!

I've had that issue.

Turn my Switch on from sleep mode after playing FIFA and the screen is black. Only a full reboot works. If you click the sleep option which overlays the black screen then it doesn't respond.

ronpontelle

Neo Member
I've had that issue.

Turn my Switch on from sleep mode after playing FIFA and the screen is black. Only a full reboot works. If you click the sleep option which overlays the black screen then it doesn't respond.
Cheers. It's annoying as I use the sleep option quite a lot on the Switch. Hopefully it'll get patched soon.

So the Switch version then.

I realised I was going to pay a graphical price for portability. I just didn't realise it was going to be so... dark.

V8pwka2.jpg

K7jg1zE.jpg

fBV4liR.jpg

csekSHg.jpg

96ASM4Z.jpg

These are untouched screenshots from a match I just had. This is supposed to be 3pm in the summer at Wembley. At times it's almost impossible to keep track of the ball. Did someone forget to pay the electric bill for the floodlights.

It's actually impacting my enjoyment of the game as in handheld mode there appears to be no way to adjust the brightness and as a Spurs fan I'm stuck with the accursed place as my home ground when playing a Premier League season.

Same on PC (Premier League it's most noticeable even sometimes when it's sunny LOL). I have to use ReShade to adjust the gamma.

So the Switch version then.

I realised I was going to pay a graphical price for portability. I just didn't realise it was going to be so... dark.

V8pwka2.jpg

K7jg1zE.jpg

fBV4liR.jpg

csekSHg.jpg

96ASM4Z.jpg

These are untouched screenshots from a match I just had. This is supposed to be 3pm in the summer at Wembley. At times it's almost impossible to keep track of the ball. Did someone forget to pay the electric bill for the floodlights.

It's actually impacting my enjoyment of the game as in handheld mode there appears to be no way to adjust the brightness and as a Spurs fan I'm stuck with the accursed place as my home ground when playing a Premier League season.

Yep, noticed that a large proportion of my time in the Switch version seems to be played in Stadiums with shadow covering half or more of the field.

I don't have that dark stadiums in Switch version. Weird. Are you all having those stadiums playing Prem League teams/stadiums? Maybe it is a bug? I haven't played against any British teams.

Switch FIFA plays differently from other console versions, the devs themselves said so. So that was already known. I rather like the way it plays, it is fluid and I don't feel that it is particularly fast. I don't play top teams so maybe that's why... I prefer to play lower/smaller leagues. More errors, slower players.

Kakaroach

Anyone else get to the FA Cup yet in career mode? I love the scoreboard and graphics they use compared to the premier league. Seeing logos and graphics on the bottom is so nice.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The defensive AI teammates are fucking useless

Luke Shaw, the fat git just stares at a loose ball he could easily reach and jogs. By the time the shitty switching system switches to him the other team have the ball

Lashley

It seems to have made the AI easier to play against too?

Unless, I'm just that good?

image.php

Nyx

It seems to have made the AI easier to play against too?

Unless, I'm just that good?

image.php

They actually did.

This update includes the following changes:
Added the following in FIFA Ultimate team:
-- New functionality to Champions Channel including missed shots and hidden timeline.

Addressed the following in FIFA Ultimate team:
-- An issue with the extra time display on the Champions Channel timeline.
-- An issue with locked EASFC catalogue kits on opponent teams in Squad Battles.
-- An issue where the crowd would have incorrect flags when the home team is wearing a certain kit.
-- An issue where a player could crash when watching a FUT Champions Channel match.
-- An issue where players could control the goalkeeper in FUT Single Player modes.
-- Changed Matches Remaining to Attempts Remaining in FUT Champions Daily Knockout Tournament.
-- Changed the Possible Points text in Squad Battles to Projected Match Points.
-- Updated loan player portraits in the EASFC Catalogue.
-- Visual improvements to some FUT item types.
Addressed the following in Gameplay:
-- Tuned goalkeeper reactions in certain situations.
-- Tuned down the difficulty for Amateur and Semi-Pro difficulties.
-- Reduced shot accuracy and slightly increased goalkeeper reaction times in certain in-game situations.
Added the following in The Journey Hunter Returns:
-- Icons in cinematic scenes to indicate the user-triggered action.
-- Triggered actions are: Personality, FIFA 17 Result, Match Result, Key Decision, Player Performance, Team Performance, Partnership Rating.

Addressed the following in The Journey Hunter Returns:
-- An issue where the player could crash during a cinematic in Chapter 5.
Added the following in Career Mode:
-- Added option to delegate contract renewals.
-- Allow users to renegotiate contract with a player whose release clause has been paid.
Addressed the following in Career Mode:
-- An issue where users could use a loaned player as part of a transfer deal.
-- An issue where Breaking News weren't getting refreshed.
Addressed the following in Online Modes:
-- An issue in Pro Clubs where a player could return to an invisible lobby after a match.
-- Enabled the opponent indicators in online matches.
-- Improvements were made to the kit clashing logic.
Audio / Visual / Presentation Changes:
-- Adding this season’s authentic Bundesliga broadcast package.
-- Addressed multiple minor audio issues.
-- Improvements to the goal net animations.

pbsapeer

Banned
So just tried the switch version on my tv instead of just handheld mode.
I’m genuinely amazed at how good it looks.

KodaRuss

I cannot figure out how to make a transfer offer/negotiation on the Switch version. I have enquired about interest and I have enough budget but I dont know what menu to press to actually make an offer. I have just started the Premiere League's season, is it too early?

Bumhead

Banned
The Bundesliga presentation package is absolutely amazing.

Has the Switch received any patches yet to add any of the presentation elements in? As daft as it sounds this is the kind of stuff that might tempt me across in the future. I'm still not ruling out double dipping for the Switch version.

I cannot figure out how to make a transfer offer/negotiation on the Switch version. I have enquired about interest and I have enough budget but I dont know what menu to press to actually make an offer. I have just started the Premiere League's season, is it too early?

Might be too early? I don't think the transfer season has started yet. During transfer season, I have the option to take on a loan or approach the team to buy a player.

KodaRuss

Well being a complete Soccer noob (first Fifa game since the PS2 and I dont follow soccer at all) i figured it out but only a month for the transfer peroid, seems incredibly short.

Luke Shaw, the fat git just stares at a loose ball he could easily reach and jogs. By the time the shitty switching system switches to him the other team have the ball

Are you playing on manual? It happens when you under hit passes. It causes the AI behavior to breakdown. I'm not sure it's intentional to encourage the correct pass power or not, but to keep things humming along, a pretty hard and relatively accurate pass is what teammate ai likes. It's better to slightly over hit than under power.

Well being a complete Soccer noob (first Fifa game since the PS2 and I dont follow soccer at all) i figured it out but only a month for the transfer peroid, seems incredibly short.

There are two periods during the year (just like in real life). January and then again from July 1st to August 31st.

Lashley

Are you playing on manual? It happens when you under hit passes. It causes the AI behavior to breakdown. I'm not sure it's intentional to encourage the correct pass power or not, but to keep things humming along, a pretty hard and relatively accurate pass is what teammate ai likes. It's better to slightly over hit than under power.

There are two periods during the year (just like in real life). January and then again from July 1st to August 31st.
Nah, I’m an assisted scrub

The defensive ai just suck

Markoman

I just got the game on XBox One and have been noticing some framerate drops. Primarily when play gets into the box, or during long crosses. I experienced this with my EA Access copy of FIFA 17 too. Is this a common issue, or more likely a problem with my XBox?

I can confirm this on PS4. I've had severe frame drops in two matches with through-balls into the box. Hope this gets patched.

NHale

EA has really done a good job of giving fresh FUT players a steady dose of free packs to get people hooked on the mode and the act of "opening" packs. The first 20 games if you do those FUT challenges, you get packs, bunch of coins very easily. First hit is for free....

Then the fantastic introduction of squad battles is a great addition to offline FUT players. Quite honestly the basic idea behind the mode is simplistic (offline games vs other players FUT teams), but it's the reward based system that makes it enticing to play with players being ranked on % placement of overall leaderboards. And the rewards in the end of the week are fantastic: right now I probably played 75% of the games and I'm on Gold 2 or Gold 1 and I would get 14k coins and 2 Premium Jumbo Gold Packs. Way to get people hooked EA. Risk vs reward dynamics on squad battles as well because you get more points if you win on higher difficulty but if you lose, you get very few points.

I loved FUT until FIFA 13 irc, but then it got very stale and boring because I was tired of playing online against people always cheesing the easiest ways to win. Offline was just boring and squad battles definitely give the game a reason for offline players to play it. Also it must be great for their DAU numbers because they require you to play games everyday...

I'm beginning to notice this too. Too many instances of AI teammates giving the attacker too much time and space, allowing them to freely run past them. It's infuriating. I feel like I have to mollycoddle each of my defenders and midfielders.

Thing is I don't even know if I'm defending correctly or not. Feels like regardless of what I do, it's ultimately up to chance whether the CPU scores or not. If I defend manually, I tend to get turned inside-out. If I contain, I seem to get bypassed too easily. If I shut down passing lanes (easier said than done), they bamboozle me with some weird multi-angle super quick ping-pong passing move. All in all, the defending system feels really clumsy... or I just need to git gud.

I mean one of the simplest defensive moves in football is to press up against the attacker when he has his back turned against you. You can't seem to do that with the contain button and if you do it manually, it feels like magnets repelling each other.

Lashley

Make every player on your team have aggressive interceptions as their instructions, trust me it helps

Got my free weekly pack today, got a message beforehand apologising for the delay too

What can I do with the free players that I can't trade? Or is there some trick?

I mean, I have like 20 players in the 50-60 range and I want to get rid of them. Do I have to put them first on transfer list? I tried to do that one "mission" where you need to sell one player, but I can't put them on sale.

I tried to do like it says in the mission introduction, I go to My *something* where I can filter players but when i choose one all the options are greyed out except the sell immediately or something and that gives 0coins for selling. And it doesn't count towards completing the mission.

I am complete noob in the FUT. Been playing SP and it is decent fun, but I win matches in the lowest league 10 or 15 to zero. I have a couple of loan players (good ones) and they are just making goals all the time. I should've taken the higher league but I wanted to test things first...

Make every player on your team have aggressive interceptions as their instructions, trust me it helps

Got my free weekly pack today, got a message beforehand apologising for the delay too
Still waiting for may two packs.

Not an issue though since I've decided to pile them up until TOTS.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Cuningas de Häme;251151434 said:
What can I do with the free players that I can't trade? Or is there some trick?

I mean, I have like 20 players in the 50-60 range and I want to get rid of them. Do I have to put them first on transfer list? I tried to do that one "mission" where you need to sell one player, but I can't put them on sale.

I tried to do like it says in the mission introduction, I go to My *something* where I can filter players but when i choose one all the options are greyed out except the sell immediately or something and that gives 0coins for selling. And it doesn't count towards completing the mission.

I am complete noob in the FUT. Been playing SP and it is decent fun, but I win matches in the lowest league 10 or 15 to zero. I have a couple of loan players (good ones) and they are just making goals all the time. I should've taken the higher league but I wanted to test things first...

Sometimes they're worth keeping hold of if you want to do certain tournaments that require a bronze player or something but most of the time you just quick sell them for 0 coins if you don't want them. There's nothing else you can really do with untradable cards they're just meant to get you started.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
I'm trying not to spend any real money on this, but saw there was a promo for Premium Gold Player Packs up. Just loaded enough funds to buy one and got a Hernandez (Real Madrid) OTW card. I'd not even had a walkout up to now, so quite happy with that.

The Bundesliga presentation package is absolutely amazing.

Has the Switch received any patches yet to add any of the presentation elements in? As daft as it sounds this is the kind of stuff that might tempt me across in the future. I'm still not ruling out double dipping for the Switch version.

Nope.

Into my 2nd season on Career Mode with Manchester United. Had to raise the difficulty from Semi-Pro to Professional because the AI are terrible at shooting. On Semi-Pro particuarly they are absolutely diabolical, like 1 in 10 shots on target and missing literal tap-ins. Even on Professional I need to mess with the sliders so they have a chance of beating De Gea.

I'm really enjoying the game but I've started compiling a list of features the game really needs. Coming from FIFA 15 I'm shocked some of this stuff still isn't in the game!

- Allow multiple Setting Profiles
- Option to disable Autosave
- Change player hairstyles and body size in Player Edit
- Remove injured player from pitch after maximum subs have already been made
- AI slider for foul frequency
- Option to make subs at half time in Sim Match
- Rename Default Team Sheet
- Select Custom Formations and Custom Tactics during match (not just via Team Sheets before matches)
- Players should not complain about match time when they have already agreed a transfer away
- Option to retract Player Swap during Transfer negotiations
- In-game Gamma option
- Allow DOF to be disbaled
- Allow Contract negotations with players out on loan
- Allow Tansfer negotations with players in on loan
- End of season Awards in Career Mode should be given some fanfare
- Keep User player and team histories in Career Mode
- Auto kick the ball out of play when a player is down injured

cLOUDo

How unlock the transfer market in the mobile app?
The app just says "continue to playing fut 18"
There is some minimum of matches?

Sometimes they're worth keeping hold of if you want to do certain tournaments that require a bronze player or something but most of the time you just quick sell them for 0 coins if you don't want them. There's nothing else you can really do with untradable cards they're just meant to get you started.

Ta mate!

I probs just sell them. So many sub-60 players...

I wish they'd do away with the shadowing completely on all versions

Yes it would be "less realistic", but it is super detrimental to you know, actually being able to keep track of the ball and enjoying gameplay

It pisses me off to no end

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Cuningas de Häme;251216615 said:
Ta mate!

I probs just sell them. So many sub-60 players...

Check first if you can't use them for squad building challenges. At very least you can use the upgrade challenge to trade a squad of bronze players for a pair of silver ones.

Kovacs

I wish they'd do away with the shadowing completely on all versions

Yes it would be "less realistic", but it is super detrimental to you know, actually being able to keep track of the ball and enjoying gameplay

It pisses me off to no end

Yep, especially that the shadow presented on the TV broadcast which they are trying to replicate is completely different in the stadium itself as a spectator or on the pitch due to our eyes adjusting and having much better dynamic range.

Couple of other bits with the Switch version

• Why does a league season have so many gaps in data. Eg Spurs have sold Walker but haven't got Sanches, Lloriente or Aurier in the squad and the 3rd kit is missing, yet each of these are available for friendlies.
    Given game recording isn't an OS thing like PS/Xbox; why can't we save replays in game?
    Why no patches yet?
    Why don't the tactics shortcuts on the d-pad work during breaks in play like corners etc.

The important thing is I'm still having fun with it, but as a package it feels like FIFA14 where it was the first release on next-gen and felt pretty feature stripped compared to earlier versions.

pbsapeer

Banned
The switch version definitely has some old gen feeling to it :
Not being able to fix an injury for this game only is a glaring one. Giving the responsibility to the assistant manager is from fifa from years ago.
Lack of linesmen.
Old style offside replays.
Old style substitution animations.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
How unlock the transfer market in the mobile app?
The app just says "continue to playing fut 18"
There is some minimum of matches?

Nobody seems to really know, but it unlocked half way through last week for me. Makes throwing up cards so easy when you can open the app on your phone every hour and realist all.

Same bug. Played FIFA and left for work (Switch in Standby mode). When I came back home to play again the Switch was unresponsive. Black screen. Had to do a hard reset. Sucks.

Nintendo should fix this issue where a game can break the WHOLE system!

Kyzer

Banned
For some reason I get a bug where the controller changes to two button mode and nothing works, usually when detaching or re attaching them

Top Bottom