• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Steph_E.

I am considering getting a Nintendo Switch, and maybe getting FIFA for it.

I currently play PES 2013 Wii version (on the Wii U) which has the option to play (amongst many others) a full 38 game English Premier League season or full Champions League campaign.

As I have not played FIFA for 20 years I thought I would have a look at the PS3 manual on EAs website (as there is no Switch manual on there and I did not want to look at the PS4 manual).

As far as I can see there is not an option to play either a full 38 game English Premier League season or full Champions League campaign. Am I missing something or are there no such options?

pbsapeer

Banned
I am considering getting a Nintendo Switch, and maybe getting FIFA for it.

I currently play PES 2013 Wii version (on the Wii U) which has the option to play (amongst many others) a full 38 game English Premier League season or full Champions League campaign.

As I have not played FIFA for 20 years I thought I would have a look at the PS3 manual on EAs website (as there is no Switch manual on there and I did not want to look at the PS4 manual).

As far as I can see there is not an option to play either a full 38 game English Premier League season or full Champions League campaign. Am I missing something or are there no such options?
Career mode allows you to play as an English premier league team through a full season with ELC champions league (although named as champions cup due to PES having the licence) fa cup and even preseason friendlies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love my new squad (Gameiro is now a CF so is on 9 chem)

DL0MAlAWkAASjtx.jpg

Just blitzed through squad battles, Laca with the hunter card is OP. 99 finishing lol

Ken Adams

Looks good, 83 rated too. So you basically flipped salah for laca. Im stuck at 82 cos im in love with rashford in this game.
7lbi4ILl.jpg

Switch version seems really weird to me. This fast, fluid hybrid but the passing somehow seems off?

Maybe I’m not yet adjusted from my time with PES2018 but wayward passes seem to happen far more than I would anticipate. Am I doing something wrong? Players seem to get dragged out of position really easily too.

Still, having fun and still managing to pick up wins against division 10/9 scrubs even with 65% pass accuracy. I’m looking to see what all the fuss that surrounds FUT is about! (Long time FIFA Player, just never bothered with FUT)

siriocaz

Neo Member
I changed gameplay settings in the Switch version like sprint and that and now it plays wonderfully. Really like it.

Also, I didn't play any of the last 4 FIFA entries and I'm finding very curious that the English commentators offer extensive cover for fixtures and table stats of English football (even in the Championship, damn) and European tournaments in Career Mode. It's a nice little touch, but it gets old and annoying really quick.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
Are the big players going to just keep going up and up in price as the best players get crazy coins from Squad Battles and Weekend League? I'm very close to being able to afford Lacazette, but don't know wether to just keep saving for Aguero.

Squad battles is a joke sometimes. Literally playing on world class and the jump the computer makes to win games is insane when they go behind. Score 3 goals in three minutes. I don't understand it

Lashley

Are the big players going to just keep going up and up in price as the best players get crazy coins from Squad Battles and Weekend League? I'm very close to being able to afford Lacazette, but don't know wether to just keep saving for Aguero.
His OTW card will go up but his regular shouldn’t. He is unreal btw. As is Kane.
Squad battles is a joke sometimes. Literally playing on world class and the jump the computer makes to win games is insane when they go behind. Score 3 goals in three minutes. I don't understand it
Yeah the AI cheat like fuck

DominoKid

its all luck

but its worth doing if your team is already sorted imo, buy players for 400 max, so the pack costs about 4.4k, if you get a good pull its worth it

I've done 5 so far and I got Son and Gabriel Jesus as 2/10 cards so not bad I guess

The worst part is when the game engine just kind of breaks and the AI scores. Or stops you from scoring

Steph_E.

Career mode allows you to play as an English premier league team through a full season with ELC champions league (although named as champions cup due to PES having the licence) fa cup and even preseason friendlies.

Thanks for the info! - none of the reviews, manuals, etc make that really clear.

Market will soon face its first crash. Prices usually go up until mid-october/november.

Then they usually collapse come the holiday season.

But EA has become pretty smart with the release of specific SBCs that are meant to increase the value of some item, effectively making the market less predictable.

But in a couple months' time 82 to 85/86 rated items will go down hard. It's a good time to sell those items.

Players like Gabriel Jesus, Martial, Goretzka and others won't last. 70K for an 81 rated player? That's crazy.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
Packed Diego Costa! If you exclude the OTW Hernandez, it's my first walk out card (Hernandez rating wouldn't even be a board player). Very torn now as he's my highest rated player, really suits my style, but when he switches from EPL to La Liga it will mean he's out. Hopefully his value holds for a while so I can get use out of him and then sell him on.

TAD

Packed Diego Costa! If you exclude the OTW Hernandez, it's my first walk out card (Hernandez rating wouldn't even be a board player). Very torn now as he's my highest rated player, really suits my style, but when he switches from EPL to La Liga it will mean he's out. Hopefully his value holds for a while so I can get use out of him and then sell him on.
Isn't he moving in January? He'll be a new card, your premier league one won't change.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A lot of SBCs active currently. Practically you're not safe (or wise) selling any player or upgrading right now.

The icon SBCs are pretty insane though.

TAD

A lot of SBCs active currently. Practically you're not safe (or wise) selling any player or upgrading right now.

The icon SBCs are pretty insane though.
Yeah I've started stockpiling players instead of selling them like I normally would, I've got enough cash at the moment and the only upgrades I can get for players in my squad are 15k+ so not worth doing yet. After what's happened with the price of Australian league players because of the marquee mashups I'm keeping hold of everyone now just in case.

Did they change the timings on squad battles? Just updated the opponents and got nearly 12 hours until next opponents.

Yeah I've started stockpiling players instead of selling them like I normally would, I've got enough cash at the moment and the only upgrades I can get for players in my squad are 15k+ so not worth doing yet. After what's happened with the price of Australian league players because of the marquee mashups I'm keeping hold of everyone now just in case.

Did they change the timings on squad battles? Just updated the opponents and got nearly 12 hours until next opponents.

On weekends there are 3 rotations, so 12 games per day. Update times are 1AM, 9AM and 5PM. All UK time.

jorgejjvr

Can you easily find games online on switch?

I'm thinking of getting it for my dad.

All he needs is to be able to go to online and play against strangers.

Do you rank up or something of the sort too online?

I wish EA had a good support system like Hello Games. I'm halfway through the 3rd season of Manager Career Mode with Manchester United on PC and have noticed the following bugs/quirks that are annoying:

- The game doesn't remember my scrolling place on the Shortlist after selecting any of the options. Instead it returns to a random place on the Shortlist. With 100s of players on my Shortlist it's unwieldy.

- Occasionally holding X with an Xbox One Controller fails to skip the pre-match cinematic (possibly caused by alt-tabbing)

- In Career Mode I had a player out for 7 months (injury severity slider set to 50). I turned it down to 20 and had another player out for 7 months.

- Too often AI teammates just stand around ignoring loose balls no matter how close they are or what tactics I use

- AI teammates appear to ignore offside trap tactics most of the time, playing the opposition attackers onside when they reach the final 3rd by standing goalside of them instead of pushing up, no matter what tactics I try.

- In season 3 of Career Mode (Manchester United) all of the players on my Shortlist (100+) are showing as Left Foot Preferred. All of the other information is correct.

- Auto player switching in the defensive 3rd is hit and miss.

- Transfer talks break down for younger players way too often. Some of my promising young players at Manchester United I've been trying to sell for over 2 seasons with no luck despite receiving up to a dozen offers in some cases.

- Promoted youth players in particular are often unloanable and unsellable.

- Young players thank me for giving them a chance in the first team even though I've never even put them on the bench let alone played them in a match

- In season 3 of Career Mode (Manchester United) between the 2 transfer windows while playing most of the big teams in the Premier League and Champions Cup the commentator states the opposition club is trying to bring in a new player and the bid amount is always 35 million pounds.

Can you easily find games online on switch?

I'm thinking of getting it for my dad.

All he needs is to be able to go to online and play against strangers.

Do you rank up or something of the sort too online?

You start off in Division 10 and the aim is to gain promotion by winning a certain number of points from beating/drawing with online opponents in order to gain promotion to Division 9. Keep going until you reach Division 1. There are also Cup tournaments where you can win a knockout competition by winning a certain number of matches.

I don't know how easy it is to find a game. I haven't tried since Day 2 or so.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I’ve played 35 hours of Fifa on Switch so far. It definitely is more arcade than previous FIFAs. Some may not like it for this reason, it’s faster and doesn’t convey the same simulation feeling. On the other hand it doesn’t feel scripted like a Fifa. The game is super reactive and plays more like a PES.

In the end I love this version, the game is its own thing and it’s pretty amazing. I’m in Division 5 and matchs start getting really tense :)

SumGamer

Changing formation from front 3 to front 2 with a CAM and now Alexis Sanchez is so inconsistence. Should I cash in on him then perhaps saving up for Lacazette? Or find a proper CAM and give him another chance? I'm now having around 40K, I could save up for Ozil to replace Herrera at CAM. Eriksen looks like the kind of player I like, kinda strong, great passing and long shot. He's a bit too expensive for my liking tho.

OCD Guy

I’ve played 35 hours of Fifa on Switch so far. It definitely is more arcade than previous FIFAs. Some may not like it for this reason, it’s faster and doesn’t convey the same simulation feeling. On the other hand it doesn’t feel scripted like a Fifa. The game is super reactive and plays more like a PES.

In the end I love this version, the game is its own thing and it’s pretty amazing. I’m in Division 5 and matchs start getting really tense :)

Reading your post is selling me on it. I keep watching videos on YouTube and I think it looks good, but I can’t bring myself to buy it just incase I hate it. I really wish they would put a damn demo up. I’m sure that would result in a few more sales. Either that or I wish Steams refund policy was a thing on all the consoles.

While critic reviews have been poor, user reviews seem to be really positive, and to be fair even the critic reviews didn’t say much negative about the gameplay, it seems the lack of parity with features caused the low scores.

One question for you though, can you notice much player individuality? Or do all the players feel the same?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
the critic reviews didn’t say much negative about the gameplay, it seems the lack of parity with features caused the low scores.

One question for you though, can you notice much player individuality? Or do all the players feel the same?
I only play seasons online - aways have, so I don’t care other game modes are missing.

Players all have their stats, you’ll easily recognize and take advantage of their play style.

moai

Pro clubs are broken at the moment, every match i play ends 6-5, 5-4, etc. Also, is there an ip region lock going on? In fifa 17 if we chose west coast us we played againts clubs from the us but now we get matched exclusively with brazilian clubs.

How does EA typically handle FIFA comes out during the World Cup cycle...have they made a dedicated World Cup game recently or do they add on some sort of World Cup DLC?

I’ve enjoyed it too and it definitely gives me the PES feels from back in the PS2 days.

sam777

I have packed Modric, Pjanic, Wilian, Handanovic and some shitty inform, in the last few days, I feel after 8 years my pack luck is finally changing. Plus all the packs were from SBC's, as I never buy FIFA points.

Also my brother got Lukaku, who is worth more than all of mine put together lol.

sam777

How does EA typically handle FIFA comes out during the World Cup cycle...have they made a dedicated World Cup game recently or do they add on some sort of World Cup DLC?

I am sure it was a free add on in '14 but I could be wrong, there was no standalone version like in 2010.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is it just me getting worst at it or somehow they fucked up the manual controls in one of the updates? (on PC)
I'm talking mainly about the passes who seem to be all over the place when it comes to power. One second you tap the button and it's a short run of the ball as it supposed to be, the next time you tap it and it speeds all across the field to an out of bounds on the other side. I understand that depending on the moves it might require more power for the same kind of distance, but it seems like very inconsistent.

Zasa

If you haven’t already, definitely try to do the loan SBC’s of Prime Del Piero & Rui Costa. Absolute game changers for me so far in WL, & SB. Just on a different wavelength compared to the rest of my squad

Only costs around 10-15k & you get 20 matches out of them.

I'm so bored of this game.

I love the addition of squad battles but the game is so shite since the patch. It just isn't enjoyable.
Kind of agree tbh, latest patch has been a massive disappointment. Game at release was great imo, apart from the OP long/finesse shots, & shoddy GK’s. They just went extreme with the tweaks now (as they always do).

Lashley

I love the addition of squad battles but the game is so shite since the patch. It just isn't enjoyable.

Has more blocks than Minecraft too, might hoy it on ebay tbh

Oh interesting. Hope they make one for this year. One of my favorites was the 2002world cup where you could go through qualifying.

You could in this game too. The gameplay was great, the team selection was amazing, and playing the whole qualifying cycle with a total minnow was a blast. The menu system was an utter eyesore and mess with its "Brazilian" theme, but the game was very good, and quite a bit different than FIFA 14 on last gen or the current gen 14.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Has more blocks than Minecraft too, might hoy it on ebay tbh

I think things changed that made it worse for me too, but I just can't grasp exactly what (beside the already mentioned manual controls).

Funny enough, now feels closer to the Switch version somehow.

Top Bottom