• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
i don't know why i'm surprised that you didn't catch the sarcasm at all, but here i am

lol, i cant detect sarcasm on the internet, my bad beef-senpai ;_;

Yeah that time you beat combofiend was a load imho

it was, im surprised i won and i wasnt referring to combofiend when i said what i said. i completely forgot i even faced him that one time, i blame beef for pressuring me!

Nice. I prefer sitdown cabs nowadays though, lol.

Form factor for travel would be my big thing if I made a stick. Small would be helpful but having a compartment to hold cables/stick (as I would get probably get a Link) and a cover to put on top of to protect the stick from being damaged in transport. I have an idea but haven't really bothered doing anything as the PS4 was announced and coming, lol.
I built a standup for the classic arecade feel. I am putting a MAME PC inside as well. Its also that I spend 8 hours a day in a cube at work and its nice to stand up to play at home.

I will be getting some barstools for it anyway though

Also, my controls are on a shelf and not built in, so I can take em to the living room for sitdown play on the coffee table

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
i have persona 4 gold solid premium edition sealed in mint condition and dont know when to sell it... highest bids ive seen were 400 dollars. anyone know where i could find interested buyers?

Capcom Pro tour details at 5pm pst tomorrow on twitch.

yoooooooo

How will players who not only play SF4, but other games react to this news? Will they start to focus solely on SF4?

will it be on twitch's main channel? dat 500k will be in a hell in a cell match. instead of 6, there's 12 lol

Capcom Pro tour details at 5pm pst tomorrow on twitch.

yoooooooo

How will players who not only play SF4, but other games react to this news? Will they start to focus solely on SF4?

jbug617

Banned
so we are expecting CPT to begin at Final Round again in the US. Cannes Winter Clash should be a ranking tournament though.

I hope $250k is put into all the other majors and $250k is used for the Capcom Cup Finals. It would benefit the scene more if it was distributed more evenly because more players can make a decent amount of money as opposed to top 8 making the majority of the money at the finals. It will also bring more top international players out to more majors so every event gets a boost in participants and viewers.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I hope $250k is put into all the other majors and $250k is used for the Capcom Cup Finals. It would benefit the scene more if it was distributed more evenly because more players can make a decent amount of money as opposed to top 8 making the majority of the money at the finals. It will also bring more top international players out to more majors so every event gets a boost in participants and viewers.

Is this going to be the beginning for the golden age of japanese players? I can see Daigo regularly coming to big tournaments with a few other top Japanese players. Only people who are a threat to Japan are Snake Eyez, PR Balrog (now retired), Poongko, Louffy, and Xian.

Did you try Buy/Trade/Sell Thread @ Gaming Community forum?

There's such a thing?!

Is this going to be the beginning for the golden age of japanese players? I can see Daigo regularly coming to big tournaments with a few other top Japanese players. Only people who are a threat to Japan are Snake Eyez, PR Balrog (now retired), Poongko, Louffy, and Xian.

There's such a thing?!

How many players can afford to travel to win money if they aren't sponsored? Daigo, Tokido, Mago, Fuudo, Momochi, Itabashi, and Sako will be able to travel. I think those players will be at every major this time around. A lot of the other japanese players will probably have to be much more selective.

That's what I've been preaching as well. Give each premiere event 20-25k, so the competitors there still have a lot to play for. Still leaves a ton of money left for Capcom Cup itself and probably a 6 figure pay out for the winner of the whole thing at the very end.

pixelish

if they're doing the same qualifying format like last year (10 qualifier tournaments), then i hope to redistribute the 500k this way:

$20,000 pot bonus for each qualifier tournament that is not EVO (totalling up to $180,000)
$120,000 pot bonus for EVO (top 64 will be in the money)
remaining $200,000 for Capcom Cup (everyone who qualifies to Capcom Cup will be in the money)

if they're doing the same qualifying format like last year (10 qualifier tournaments), then i hope to redistribute the 500k this way:

$20,000 pot bonus for each qualifier tournament that is not EVO (totalling up to $180,000)
remaining $200,000 for Capcom Cup (everyone who qualifies to Capcom Cup will be in the money)

I wouldn't give EVO that much. Maybe 70k for EVO, which would leave 250k left for Capcom Cup. I want Capcom Cup to be more prestigious with more on the line. EVO is ginormous, but it's still just a qualifying event a long the way. I don't think it should eat into the pot that much. In the end I'd still like to see at least half of it left for Capcom Cup.

At the end of AE2012's lifespan with Topanga Asia League and Infiltration taking last place, I thought it was good timing on his part to ascend when he did, since he was unbeatable during the year Capcom was giving away loads of money and cars.

But with the new Capcom Pro Tour announcement, and Infiltration saying he can't travel, maybe his timing isn't the best.

I just want to see the money evenly distributed outside of the US.

If we just get team EG messiah kicking nobodies at random US "majors" then I feel it is a waste.

Kumubou

I hope they ditch the points qualification and end up adding more premier events instead. Have 15-16 qualifiers (or even more if you change the final to something like round robin pools/bracket finals), and this would allow for a greater spread internationally. Don't ditch the online events, but make them tournaments for tickets to premiere events instead.

I'm kind of expecting a 10x-ish boost in prize money for the premiere events by default. Who is ready for Evo to go full eeeeeeee-sports with a 100k pot? USF4 will finally surpass such games as VF5:FS, MK9, and BBCP.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
How many players can afford to travel to win money if they aren't sponsored? Daigo, Tokido, Mago, Fuudo, Momochi, Itabashi, and Sako will be able to travel. I think those players will be at every major this time around. A lot of the other japanese players will probably have to be much more selective.

That's the issue though, some of these players have the same sponsor, like Daigo and Tokido. They wouldn't send them out to a tournament to beat each other unless they really want the points.

I think $20,000 is more than enough for qualifier tournaments. An extra $100K for EVO is pushing it but its the premier tournament. I would only want top 8 to be in the money since they made it that far. The remaining bit should be at Capcom Cup.

Shouta

I would hope they distribute the pot bonus to Premiere and Ranking tourneys if they use that route to decide who gets into Capcom Cup. That way it makes all the tourneys they are using more attractive for people.

Kumubou

A 2,000+ bracket with $100,000 in the pot paying out top 8 is kind of gross. Frankly, they could have a decent payout for top 128 with that kind of pot and still have first place be worth over $25,000.

I think part of the issue is that they don't want to deal with the paperwork with that many people... maybe you make most spots pay out under $600. :x

pixelish

I wouldn't give EVO that much. Maybe 70k for EVO, which would leave 250k left for Capcom Cup. I want Capcom Cup to be more prestigious with more on the line. EVO is ginormous, but it's still just a qualifying event a long the way. I don't think it should eat into the pot that much. In the end I'd still like to see at least half of it left for Capcom Cup.

I understand that you're looking at the grander scheme of things but EVO needs to have a large prize pool as well. I still find it hard to believe that the largest open video gaming tournament in the world only does top 8 payout in general. Last year, out of 1979 players competing in USF4 only 16 (~0.008% of the player pool) were in the money. I really hope with the aid of the esports money, they would finally reward at least the top 5% finishers in Ultra this EVO.

hitsugi

I could see EVO getting a $70-100k bonus, tops. I agree with Rice on the distribution, and the $250k figure definitely makes Capcom Cup stand alone.

Clawww

Well, my underlying feeling is that the cutoff for the pay out brings us to the point where really strong players have had to face other really strong players. I'm not sure what the cutoff is where 'easy' brackets start to thin out but it should be around there I think. although I supposed you could argue that no bracket is easy at Evo.

Last year's evo pay out
02_evopayout01.jpg

It would be great if top 32 is guaranteed $500 which would leave a lot of money for top 8 still.

A 2,000+ bracket with $100,000 in the pot paying out top 8 is kind of gross. Frankly, they could have a decent payout for top 128 with that kind of pot and still have first place be worth over $25,000.

While it would be nice to see more players rewarded, that is still pretty much just giving a small subset of the global community (local US players) a payout and ignoring the rest. Not to mention it would probably turn into a farce anyway, given there are only a very small number of players with a chance of winning.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There has to be a balance to the pay out. You want more players getting more money, but you still want the top players to get a good amount of money so it's worth it for them to travel. The top players are made up of international players and it costs them more money to travel.

Shouta

If Evo does get a big pot bonus, it definitely needs to pay out the Top 32 or Top 64. There's no reason to be so top-heavy for the largest tournament when it's getting that much of a prize pool and it's likely to be an automatic qualifier for Capcom Cup which will probably have the lion's share of the 500k.

fader

If Evo does get a big pot bonus, it definitely needs to pay out the Top 32 or Top 64. There's no reason to be so top-heavy for the largest tournament when it's getting that much of a prize pool and it's likely to be an automatic qualifier for Capcom Cup which will probably have the lion's share of the 500k.

I like the idea of top 64 payout.

This would be great but I half can't expect this would be the case, sadly.

I would hope they distribute the pot bonus to Premiere and Ranking tourneys if they use that route to decide who gets into Capcom Cup. That way it makes all the tourneys they are using more attractive for people.

The problem with this is that they have a set amount of Premiere Events already, when it comes to ranking events, they pretty much just add another one as they go along. A new event submits their application to be a ranking even and if Capcom feels they're worthy enough then they'll add them. And there was a lot of them last year, I think it was over 40 ranking events. Far too many to give a decent amount to unless they really want to give each event 1-2k each.

Shouta

The problem with this is that they have a set of Premiere Events already, when it comes to ranking events, they pretty much just add another one if they feel it's worthy enough and there was a lot of them last year. I think last year had over 40 ranking events. Far too many to give a decent amount to unless they really want to give each event 1-2k each.

What if all the ranking tourneys are set for the year instead of just adding them whenever? Remember, last year was the first year they did it and it was somewhat impromptu so they didn't have time to decide stuff in advance.

What if all the ranking tourneys are set for the year instead of just adding them whenever? Remember, last year was the first year they did it and it was somewhat impromptu so they didn't have time to decide stuff in advance.

That would be a lot more ideal, if only so players could plan their travel and expected points.

Hopefully Daigo qualifies early this time to allow it to happen.

I'd be fine with that. But it's going to be really hard to figure that out though. It seems they want to include as many tournaments as possible and many of these events aren't even announced yet. Hell, I'd assume some of the TO's aren't even sure if they want to run their events yet. So it's just very complicated.

JeTmAn81

I tried FightCade. This thing is the bomb. Every online FG service needs an IRC style chat room. To think that even heavyweights like USFIV will probably end up on something like that after they're no longer supported...

Top Bottom