• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

I get it, I just think that's insulting to state that the play is bad, nakedly, considering the JP have been playing the game for a year +. It's expected that the play won't be at that level. But from what I can see, there's been a drastic improvement in US play since just last month. The scene's well on its way. A lot of the combos and oki setplay aren't optimal yet, but there was a lot of fundamentally solid neutral on display and some good tech from some players, such as Marlin and VR Raiden.
Well, in my post, I just said it was "sloppy", not bad. And I compared it to randoms online. I feel like half of GG Xrd GAF could have been in that top 8 instead of some of the people I saw there. I was just reacting with surprise that it was top 8, I don't think I was attacking anyone.

alstein

It's a lot easier to deal with a bit of input lag than it is to go to a tourney setting and deal with the smell (I will always remember the stench of the anime room at NEC, worse than being near a cosplayer who wore the same costume 4 days in 90 degree heat) and folks yelling at you, the lack of sleep, unfamiliar bed, and other things.

Also, if it's early in a game's development- usually adaptation/knowledge skills trump setplay/oki/execution. It's later in a game's development when the latter become the dominant factor.

It's why majors are harder than locals- locals tend to be more respectful than majors because the people know each other.

Being able to play under those types of suboptimal conditions is one of the real things to me that separates a pro player from just a good player.

The only way to get that experience is to suffer through those conditions, unless you're one of those folks who naturally thrives in that environment.

Tripon

It's a lot easier to deal with a bit of input lag than it is to go to a tourney setting and deal with the smell and folks yelling at you, the lack of sleep, unfamiliar bed, and other things.

It's why majors are harder than locals- locals tend to be more respectful than majors because the people know each other.

Being able to play under those types of suboptimal conditions is one of the real things to me that separates a pro player from just a good player.
See, this is why wearing a face mask to cover your nose is OP.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
No RayRay or Flux in Marvel top 8? That is surprising.

The competition is strong, they constantly rely on the same tactics to get them wins, fighting them gets a tad repetitious, except for Flux cause its Zero, you're either human or not human on the incoming mixup. People watch their matches and exploit their weaknesses so its no surprise that they didn't make it to top 8 in a tournament filled with more killers than usual. East Coast in full force!

Anne

Well, in my post, I just said it was "sloppy", not bad. And I compared it to randoms online. I feel like half of GG Xrd GAF could have been in that top 8 instead of some of the people I saw there. I was just reacting with surprise that it was top 8, I don't think I was attacking anyone.

This is actually pretty typical through the lirfespan of most "anime" games. Unless it's something like Evo or NEC where people are all at, you're going to get a mix of names in top 8s that aren't necessarily top of the skill level. It has a lot to do with a smaller player base that just doesn't travel often, on top of there being very few consistent high level players in NA, even once the game has had time to grow.

This is actually pretty typical through the lirfespan of most "anime" games. Unless it's something like Evo or NEC where people are all at, you're going to get a mix of names in top 8s that aren't necessarily top of the skill level. It has a lot to do with a smaller player base that just doesn't travel often, on top of there being very few consistent high level players in NA, even once the game has had time to grow.

Makes sense.

Dahbomb

Wow what a fucking choke... had happy birthday on Morrigan + Doom and then does the hyper.

Like if he hit that combo he had won the game because Vergil would've been hit by an unblockable.

First time we are seeing MODOK in Winners Finals. This run by Punisher has been ridiculous.

Kimosabae

Banned

So there's no value judgement placed on "sloppy", then?

Okay...

*shrug*

This was Xrd top 8 (not in order):

1. Marlinpie
2. Marvisto
3. RoverRuckus
4. Flash Metroid
5. DaiAndOh
6. Mynus
7. Lord Knight
8. VR Raiden

I haven't played most of GAF, but I'm not sure who posts in that Xrd thread would replace one of these guys in a top 8. Most of them are veterans that have been playing the series competitively for around a decade. Only person I'm unfamiliar with is Rover.

I think it's insulting to suggest that players from GAF could replace some of them just because the Top 8's 2 month-old play hasn't had a chance to be optimized yet, but whatever.

Kimosabae

Banned
Classic Top 8 Yipes.

I actually don't think so. Yipes was being blatantly more reserved than he usually is when he was up. I liked it when I saw it... but then he became a bit TOO reserved and let Raccoon get off.

I like the idea of him being more patient in tense moments when your opponent has X-Factor, but when you're up in the round/set, it becomes a fine line between "Playing to Win" and "Playing Not to Lose", to which, I feel Yipes crossed over into the latter.

Anne

This happens whenever an anime top 8 looks sloppy at a big tournament :v somebody says "eh skill level wasn't great", somebody gets tight and starts overselling it in reaction, then people start really underselling, and nobody walks away with a realistic view on it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I haven't played most of GAF, but I'm not sure who posts in that Xrd thread would replace one of these guys in a top 8. Most of them are veterans that have been playing the series competitively for around a decade.

I think it's insulting to suggest that players from GAF could replace some of them just because the Top 8's 2 month-old play hasn't had a chance to be optimized yet, but whatever.
I don't think replace is the word he used. I feel like he was trying to say "they would have had just as much of a chance at getting top 8 as them"

This happens whenever an anime top 8 looks sloppy at a big tournament :v somebody says "eh skill level wasn't great", somebody gets tight and starts overselling it in reaction, then people start really underselling, and nobody walks away with a realistic view on it.

That being said, as someone who loves KI...KI EVO was stale and uninteresting.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't think replace is the word he used. I feel like he was trying to say "they would have had just as much of a chance at getting top 8 as them"

It's a tournament. There can only be one category of top 8. Someone would have to beat the OG Winter Brawl Top 8 for 4 hypothetical GAF players to take their stead.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

It's a tournament. There can only be one category of top 8. Someone would have to beat the OG Winter Brawl Top 8 for 4 hypothetical GAF players to take their stead.

Well yeah but he's not saying GAF is better he's saying they look even. Like it could go either way.

Personally I can't think of anyone besides like 2 people that would even have a slight chance
and I'm counting myself preparing towards a tournament

Those guys are all long time players and the game isn't kind to mistakes made.

fader

I haven't played most of GAF, but I'm not sure who posts in that Xrd thread would replace one of these guys in a top 8. Most of them are veterans that have been playing the series competitively for around a decade. Only person I'm unfamiliar with is Rover.

don't like this argument for various reasons. You don't need to be good at a skill in order to judge someone else's skill level. That being said, I think what most people here were critiquing was execution of some players. Most comments I read here were complaining about dropped combos (unless I missed someones post). Either way, who cares what they think? it's just an opinion.

Kimosabae

Banned
That's a strawman: I never premised my discontent on the notion that you can't critique veteran players without being good. I just was miffed by the lack of charity on display, considering the game is so new in the states.

"It's just an opinion".

Yeah, so is mine. It's a forum, those tend to get bandied about.

Anne

I will say most of those players in that top 8 are pretty good and would beat most players here and end up in top 8, at the same time there was a lot of mashy mash going on in places. There were a lot of NY/NJ people missing who could've been there too.

Don't try to take anything away from the players who did well, but try to be realistic in saying "that wasn't a great display, players should all be working on cleanign things up"

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
One thing that you can learn from players that are not DA VERY BEST IN DA WORLDZ with their character is what not to do :lol.

Like personally I feel on some of those matches when marv was in the heat of the moment and wanting to kill zato off bad. The combos wouldn't have killed anyways and getting him with that extra little bit of damage wouldnt have gave him any advantage over another knockdown set up.

Top Bottom