• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 24 - Mar 2 | Play Seriously

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I have a mac thing now so the stream is fine for me. But with my old laptop kadey's stream barely worked. I remedied this by popping out the chat and just playing in it myself.

Marvelous

Argh the match started and ended in two frames how. :/

Just having fun, don't mind me.
I know I need a new computer, lol. Had this one for about... 10 years now. :x

Westlo

Hey.

Don't act like whenever AE is coming on, people aren't saying the same thing about Marvel as well - it's bad from all camps, not just one.

And I wonder if it's a coincidence that the couple guys that said Marvel needs no respect above have anime avatars, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

lol you're acting like marvel isn't an anime style fighting game anyway (it's a tweaked TvC) sans a burst mechanic which hardcore fans bitched out of existence years ago but now want.

Dahbomb

Double tap directional input is more intuitive than pressing two attack buttons to dash. You want to separate mobility (directional inputs) from attack options (face buttons).

However, two attack buttons for dashing is simply twice as fast as double tap a direction and its essential for a game like Marvel where wave dashing and plink dashing is the defact standard for mobility.

You would have to create a game where double tap actually moves you around fast with just a single input and you don't have to spam it just so you can move around.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Double tap directional input is more intuitive than pressing two attack buttons to dash. You want to separate mobility (directional inputs) from attack options (face buttons).

However, two attack buttons for dashing is simply twice as fast as double tap a direction and its essential for a game like Marvel where wave dashing and plink dashing is the defact standard for mobility.

You would have to create a game where double tap actually moves you around fast with just a single input and you don't have to spam it just so you can move around.

DahBomb understands

Westlo

Hey Q any GG OGs done a Daigo and shitted on the Xrd? You know "SFIV isn't worth my Ryu" etc.

Marvel is Anime now? Shit now Tekken will be anime and I will have nothing to play.

You replace the cast when a bunch of characters icecream loves to post about and no one would argue that this isn't an animu fighter for the actual gameplay. But because it has Marvel characters (a lot of which have been in anime) and Capcom characters (again a lot of them have been in anime) and it's "popular" (I wouldn't touch an animu fighter lol) it's not. FFS it's not like the entire 90's marvel series Capcom games itself is clearly built of Darkstalkers which you could argue is the first animu style fighting game.

Don't worry man, just ignore this and post "lol Tekken is animu now too", it's a good look.

I don't understand, people make the choice of what stream they go to depending if they can muck up the chat or not and post memes and hate games?

I thought it was about the personalities of the streamers and the quality of play.

Nope! There's a reason people keep stressing the difference between stream viewers and stream monsters, and that's the difference between them in a nutshell. It's a race to see who can get to the shittiest pun first, who can get the most hi-fives for fitting the stuff on stream into the meme of the week - the actual stream is background noise until something hype happens, so everyone can try to see who can freak out the hardest.

An unfiltered stream chat is basically an imageboard thread with a time limit, so it's no surprise Reddit and co. are up in arms about serious moderation being placed into it.

Seyavesh

cota and darkstalkers came out at roughly the same time and cota is probably more anime than the original darkstalkers tbh

who even gives a shit what's defined as 'anime' or not, the only people who ever bring up this issue with it seem to be 'anime' guys who for some insane reason think other people actually care if a game is defined under that staple or not

well that and idiots who go 'man i won't play anime' but i have never actually seen one of these people actually exist in person besides in the imagination of these folks with persecution complexes and i guess stream monsters who are trolling or retards anyways

speaking of which, i'm totally down with subs only mode and/or rules being established on major streams because the ability to be just terrible online is astronomically great and i basically hate every single person who uses emoticons that aren't dog faces for some nonsensical reason

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nope! There's a reason people keep stressing the difference between stream viewers and stream monsters, and that's the difference between them in a nutshell. It's a race to see who can get to the shittiest pun first, who can get the most hi-fives for fitting the stuff on stream into the meme of the week - the actual stream is background noise until something hype happens, so everyone can try to see who can freak out the hardest.

An unfiltered stream chat is basically an imageboard thread with a time limit, so it's no surprise Reddit and co. are up in arms about serious moderation being placed into it.
You mean stream monsters and stream warriors.

[insert BT plug here]

Dahbomb

Like I have said many times before...

There's anime... and then there's AAAANNNIIIMMMAAAAYYYY!

If you have a roster full of underage "cute" girls dressed in explicit clothing with a side bar showing them in even more explicit poses... then that game is AAANNNNIIIIMMMMAAAYYYY!

Marvelous

Anime makes the world a better place for you and me. For you and me, FGC.

So, where do you guys see the FGC in five years or so? Better than ever? Worse than ever? About the same as it is now?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sounds like certain threads on this forum sometimes!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Can't tell any difference, but thanks for being willing to lower it, lol.

My comp is so sad, I know. I guess it can only handle 720p.

I guess the whole twitch everybody is getting quality selector thing is not true.

So, where do you guys see the FGC in five years or so? Better than ever? Worse than ever? About the same as it is now?

If certain conditions are the way it is now, the same. Last year was peak year. Community is too divided and it's obvious certain people are more for themselves or their own click.

You replace the cast when a bunch of characters icecream loves to post about and no one would argue that this isn't an animu fighter for the actual gameplay. But because it has Marvel characters (a lot of which have been in anime) and Capcom characters (again a lot of them have been in anime) and it's "popular" (I wouldn't touch an animu fighter lol) it's not. FFS it's not like the entire 90's marvel series Capcom games itself is clearly built of Darkstalkers which you could argue is the first animu style fighting game.

Don't worry man, just ignore this and post "lol Tekken is animu now too", it's a good look.

Wait what? I was just joking. I'm well aware of the fact that Marvel is pretty much a anime fighter with non-anime aesthetics(for the most part.) I'm just joking about my lack of options of fighting games to play since everything that's coming out are anime fighters sans USF4.. Chill lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Entirely dependent on what form Capcom's next big game takes. Otherwise, exactly the same with more parties trying to get a slice of whatever little pie is there.

Dahbomb

The only three games out right now that aren't anime are MK9, Injustice and KI. Everything else is anime.

Deal with it.

The state of the FGC in the future is entirely dependent on how GGXrd is received and what Capcom/Namco have in store. If those games flop like SFxT then there could be another dark age type situation.

Also more and more players will emerge as online warriors to the point that people will stop using that term like pad warriors or something. Online netcode will improve and it will be taken more seriously especially with more online betting/MMs becoming commonplace.

smurfx

get some go again
if there isn't a new street fighter or marvel type game from capcom then its going to be pretty dead compared to what its at right now.

Yeah i'm really not seeing the FGC really going anywhere at this point. Especially since I doubt USF4 is really gonna do much. Looks dope though.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't care about growth as much as seeing established community members carve out sustainable business niches for themselves with the games - sponsorships, media outreach, pot increases et al.. I care about where Sp00ky etc. are going to be. Progress there may require growth and it might not. The competitive scene itself is not going anywhere or "dying".

Unless a disruptive FG is released I only see the competitive scene shrinking. Xrd is not that. SF5 is not that.

Reverend

Neo Member
Without major developer support, the future of the pro scene looks bleak. Eventually sponsors are going to cut and run when they realize their ROI is non existent from having a team, and we're gonna shrink back into the Third Strike Bermuda Triangle.

I don't care about growth as much as seeing established community members carve out sustainable business niches for themselves with the games - sponsorships, media outreach, pot increases et al.. I care about where Sp00ky etc. are going to be. That may require growth and it might not. The competitive scene itself is not going anywhere or "dying".

Unless a disruptive FG is released I only see the competitive scene shrinking. Xrd is not that. SF5 is not that.

I seriously and honestly doubt that. Unless SF5 is like a black sheep of the series.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't care about growth as much as seeing established community members carve out sustainable business niches for themselves with the games. I care about where Sp00ky etc. are going to be. That may require growth and it might not. The competitive scene itself is not going anywhere or "dying".

I agree that there is probably something I want to see most as sustainability is rough right now, but it is all dependent on the games for keeping people retained in the community and/or games.

Xrd is definitely not that game now that a lot is out there, but I do think SF5 has a chance, maybe even a better chance than some new IP. Maybe MK or (longer shot) Soul Calibur if Namco ever decides to give a fuck again. IP strength is what matters most (and Tekken is too bland for people to care about the characters at that sort of level, although Revo is doing quite well for itself).

I don't play or watch anime games.
Don't you stan JoJos?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As long as you have to play offline to have a decent competitive experience, fighting games are going nowhere.
Yup. Which pretty much means we are fucked until 2050 when based Google takes over all of our internet infrastructure.

It's also sad knowing the major American development studio is incompetent at making aesthetically pleasing and non-janky fighters, and all of the major Japanese studios are incompetent at understanding Western markets. That's where a new major fighting game developer can have a one up on major studios, but I still don't believe you can make a combat system so fundamentally different that it will reign in both the hardcore and the casual.

CPS2

I don't care about growth as much as seeing established community members carve out sustainable business niches for themselves with the games - sponsorships, media outreach, pot increases et al.. I care about where Sp00ky etc. are going to be. Progress there may require growth and it might not. The competitive scene itself is not going anywhere or "dying".

I always find it interesting to hear about non-fg related stuff that event organisers get up to, like how level up streams weddings or something? And gootecks streaming dance parties and being a DJ? I think spending all that time just on FGs tho could put them in a tricky situation if the market changes and there's nothing decent released or played for a while, which is always likely.

Kimosabae

Banned
The reason I suggest SF5 won't grow the scene is because of projected shrinkage. I think it's safe to say that the scene is stagnate in terms of growth atm and I predict the scene to shrink in the near future because I honestly feel console gaming, the medium FGs are currently attached to beyond Japan, are losing relevance.

IF SF5 still makes sense 3-5 years from now, at best I think it may bring us back to 2010 - 2011. That nostalgic wave is not going to be as strong a force next time around and a lot of the old guard will be middle-aged.

Kumubou

May I interest you in a game of Immaterial and Missing Power? :p The game's movement is serious (especially with the various jump/dash cancel combos and pressure sequences), but it's all single button and direction inputs. Movement gets doubly serious when you realize that your dash goes through projectiles... and gets bodied horribly by physical attacks. Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (the sequel) may be a bit more what you're looking for with multiple 8-way airdashes available from a single button and joystick input, but the game isn't nearly as good (and way more random with the way spellcards and weather works). Too bad they're both full of little girls... and Touhous, at that.

I would also suggest the Senko no Ronde games, but that's getting too close to "is this a bootleg fighting game" or "is this a bootleg Gundam/Virtual On" game. Actually, after writing that, just go play Gundam EXVSFB. :p

Xrd is definitely not that game now that a lot is out there, but I do think SF5 has a chance, maybe even a better chance than some new IP. Maybe MK or (longer shot) Soul Calibur if Namco ever decides to give a fuck again. IP strength is what matters most (and Tekken is too bland for people to care about the characters at that sort of level, although Revo is doing quite well for itself).
I think the IP matters a lot less than you think if you're looking to hit a grand slam and seriously disrupt the market. All of the major competitive games played now came from their own IPs and started with grassroots communities that just saw absolutely explosive growth. If you're looking for a safer, more stable bet than yeah it's going to matter a lot more... but I don't think anything has that pull within videogames as a whole other than Street Fighter and maybe Mortal Kombat, but the developers would really have to get their shit in gear.

Top Bottom