• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 13-19 | Stream Monster Yearly: Evolution 2015

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
J6aXycU.gif

Week of July 13th to the 19th, 2015.

Fighting Games Weekly is a place for all things fighting games. News, game discussion, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related. Here are some quick links:

zc7cvSk.jpg

4gjwelI.jpg

Last year, GAFer Shouta helped organize donations from various FGC-GAF members to send fellow member QisTopTier to EVO. Q suffers from Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy, but has always wanted to go to EVO and we've doubled up this year and are sending him again. Woohoo!

If you still want to help out for some extra spending money you can check out the details and pledge on this spreadsheet or PM Shouta.

Xep7GPe.jpg

huHur1y.jpg

Streaming Schedule.

It's that time of year again. The biggest tournamnent in the world is back, and this time boasting the largest pot bonuses and pots the genre has ever seen, with nearly every game receiving thousands in support from publishers, including $50k for both USFIV and MKX and $30k for Tekken 7. In addition, AnimEVO will taking place at EVO as well, bringing together many games without official representation into their own little event. Check back later this week for when the official EVO 2015 thread goes up.

GRRINei.jpg

PsYNUOZ.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at our favourite link dumper, Tizoc!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
Confession Time: Not any I am sad to say, I lately only ever play fighting games when I have get togethers with family or friends. If you were to ask what competitive video game I am playing I'd say League of Legends.

Incidentally enough, there is a fighting game scene in my country, they held a KoF XIII tourney some months ago, I didn't learn of this until weeks later when my friend showed me a video showcasing some of the stuff from that tourney. I'm hoping to someday get back into competitive fighting game with that group in the near future though.

My internet connection is quite weak which is another reason I don't play online much. I used to do so years ago during BB and SF4 being popular with some friends though.

As for favorite fighting game, tough one to answer, I don't actually have a one definite fighting game, but these games would def. be in my top 10 list:

Garou: MotW
Real Bout 2
Street Fighter III series
Last Blade 2

Yeah it's not a convincing answer, but various fighters I've played over the years each have elements that I like.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
Man that's really hard to answer, but if anything, I find SF4's overall combat system good, but needing various refinements here and there. If you want to keep its speed as is so it stands out from the other SF entries and games, I'd be OK with that, but its somewhat strict combo and juggle system has annoyed me since the first iteration, I'm certain they could've altered it in a way that made combos much more rewarding for the amount of EX spent on it.

That's just my opinion though, I'd say a strict combo system is one of my least favourite especially if visually you can see various moves chained together but the damage output is pitiful.

I think comeback mechanics are fine long as you balance them out and not go all out there with them (like Lvl. 3 KFC in MAHVEL 3, though I kinda get the idea behind it).

I don't there's a favourite mechanic that I like as I'm usually fine with whatever mechanics are in a game even if I don't use it properly.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I'd say King of Fighters 97, Street Fighter EX2 and Garou MotW.

KoF 97 was in the arcade I frequented as a kid and it was all the rave at the time. SFEX2 I got on PSone and I spent hours on that Trial mode never realizingit was teaching me links etc.

Garou's balance made me try out all the characters and made me appreciate different play styles I guess.

Of the genres I enjoy playing-
Point n' Click Adventure games
Adventure games that involve exploring, platforming and/or action
Stealth games (even though I save scum in them :V)
Platformers of all kind
Match 3
RPGs
The occasional character/franchise action game
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
If you were to ask me my fav. comic characters I'd give you a list but not a ranking.

This applies to fighting games too, there isn't a one character I like above all. If you were to ask as per a game or franchise though it can help in narrowing it down-

Fatal Fury: Grant, Terry, HonFu, Krauser, Tizoc
Last Blade: Setsuna, Kagami, Zantetsu
Street Fighter II: Claw, Zangief, The Bipson
Street Fighter III: Ryu, Alex, Elena
Street Fighter IV: Hakan
Street Fighter V: Birdie, The Bipson, Charlie Nash
MAHVEL: Kobun/Servebot, Haggar
KoF: Rugal, Tizoc, '97 Yashiro, '97 Ralf, '97 Benimaru
Capcom vs. SNK: Rugal
BlazBlue: Tager
Guilty Gear: Potemkin, Slayer
Smash Bros: Kirby, Luigi

That's it off the top of my head right now @_@
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
Well as I said I don't play much but if I ever do it'd be with a PS4/PS3 Controller, I had considered geting a sick but I dunno where I'd keep the dang thing when not using it :p
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I confess that I may lose my cool and temper, but I try to keep a steady head, I'd say my weakness would be fidning the right time to initiate my opponent, sometimes I get it right other times I don't.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Don't think I got any sad to say, much of my better moments were having good matches with friends online or offline.
What do you want from future fighting games?
I'd like to see some games get revivals, i think a Rival Schools game released in similar manner to Killer Instinct release style would be cool, you could have like 12 characters in Season 1 (Batsu Team, Roy Team, Sports Team, New school team) then another 12 for Sesaon 2.
If anything, add in an Easy Input option for 2D fighters, I like that MvC had it and it made playing with friends and younger relatives much more fun.

I'd also like to see various old fighting games preserved somehow. We got Battle Fantasia releasing on Steam soon for example.

Would like to see SNK make a new fighter since as is they're just chillin' with making iOS ish and classic re-releases. The latter I don't mind though I would like them to speed it up.

Implement an Easy Input option for all future 2D fighters otherwise.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Ah well in case of the next spotlight, I say go for the Vote, as no one comes to mind atm :p
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
I'd pre-order SF5 if the Beta allows me to play it offline. I generally pre-order a bunch of games, like how I spent $200 on pre-orders for PSVita games just the other month.

Otherwise if there's a game I like, I tend to pre-order.

DoOLzrD.jpg

Code:
WINTER Rivals of Aether
MARCH  Street Fighter V
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Pokken Tournament
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

X6W2n28.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

rudhdjL.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

Kumubou

Who knew bots could do interviews? :V And it's time to get hype for Evo -- heading out to Vegas Thursday morning. Hopefully all of the side game stuff doesn't leave me dead.

enzo, your link to AnimEVO goes to the stream schedule, when it should be going to the AnimEVO Google Doc.

-------------------------

Re-posting from the last thread since it was in about .2 seconds before this thread came up:

Too bad because fighting games and the PC go well together if a decent product is put out and supported well enough. The tails are particularly long compared to those of console ports too.
Yeah, but you try convincing a Japanese publisher to actually get behind a PC release, especially in a genre with no history behind it. I guess the only kind thing I can say about that is that it's a lot easier now than it was 5-10 years ago, but it still feels like having to pull teeth.

It's actually kind of funny, since French Bread actually has a really long history of PC releases from back when they were a doujin circle.

I don't use emoji, so every single one of my posts has the potential to be ambiguously sarcastic. I'm tempted to say that poll would have never happened had the results been known beforehand.
I actually asked Tom Cannon about this one time, and he told me that they honestly thought that MBAA was going to win from the moment they thought of doing the player's choice poll and they were surprised it was as close as it was (even with GGAC not being an option at all, for some reason).

I'm still not sure if I believe him. :x

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So, Tizoc has chosen for the thread to elect someone to do the Spotlight for this week. Considering this week is EVO, and that 99% of the time I receive spotlights back on some Sunday evening stuff, I will take nominations for people others want to do the spotlight, but I'd rather people volunteer that I know will get it done and send it to me before the weekend. I'll count the votes 24 hours from now.

You can check who has already done the spotlight here.

If you want to nominate someone or yourself, put the name in tags, like this: enzo_gt

Tripon

So, Tizoc has chosen for the thread to elect someone to do the Spotlight for this week. Considering this week is EVO, and that 99% of the time I receive spotlights back on some Sunday evening stuff, I will take nominations for people others want to do the spotlight, but I'd rather people volunteer that I know will get it done and send it to me before the weekend. I'll count the votes 24 hours from now.

You can check who has already done the spotlight here.

If you want to nominate someone or yourself, put the name in tags, like this: enzo_gt
Well if you want to make sure it gets done, do it yourself.

Enzo_gt

Dahbomb

FIRST ANNUAL NEOGAF FGW EVO 2015 PREDICTION COMPETITION!

I am personally holding NeoGAF's first ever EVO prediction contest. I will be listing a bunch of questions and you have to predict as many as you can. The person who gets the most points gets awarded $20 by me personally!

Here are the questions (finals/top 8 means finals including all days):

1) How many US players will be in the top 8 of Persona 4, Tekken 7 and GGXrd combined?

2) How many US players will be in the top 8 of USF4?

3) How many “gods” will be in the top 8 of UMVC3 (gods are Justin Wong, FChamp, ChrisG)?

4) How many players will cry on stage (whether tears of joys or tears of sadness)?

5) Will Ono appear in a cosplay? If so then which character? (getting the 2nd question right will award you bonus points)?

6) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of USF4 (counter picks included)?

7) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of UMVC3 (counter picks included)?

8) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of both the Smash games combined (counter picks included)? [Same characters from the two different games count as different characters so if there's a Fox in a Smash 4 top 8 and a Fox in Melee top 8, that counts as two separate characters as they are different games] See this post for a better explanation.

9) How many fatalities will we see in the top 8 of MKX?

10) Will Tekken x SF be at EVO? If yes then name two characters that they will unveil at the event (getting the 2nd question right will award you bonus points).

11) Which game will have the highest stream numbers at EVO in a top 8? Bonus question: Which game will have the lowest stream numbers in a top 8? (cannot specify same game for both in order to increase your changes to get at least one right)

12) How many players will appear in more than one top 8 at EVO?

13) How many grand final bracket resets will there be at EVO?

14) Will there be more Season 1 or Season 2 characters in Killer Instinct top 8? Bonus question: By how much?

15) How many different countries will be represented in the top 8 of USF4?

16) Which game will have the longest top 8 runtime? Bonus question: Which game will have the shortest run time in top 8? (Cannot specify same game for both in order to increase your chances to get at least one right)

17) Will any player make a repeat win at this year’s EVO from last year?

18) Will there be a brand new fighting game announcement at EVO? Bonus question: If so then what will it be?

19) At what time will EVO finish at (rounded to the nearest hour) on the final day?

20) FINAL QUESTION: Who will win EVO for each individual game?

Getting a regular question right will give you 5 points. Getting a bonus question right will give you 3 points. Final question is worth 3 points per game you get right.

In the event of a tie, the questions that involved guessing with numbers will be used as tie breakers (ie. who got the closest to the guesses across all questions).

You can post your responses in FGW or you can PM me your answers. Deadline is before the start of EVO 2015.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FIRST ANNUAL NEOGAF FGW EVO 2015 PREDICTION COMPETITION!

I am personally holding NeoGAF's first ever EVO prediction contest. I will be listing a bunch of questions and you have to predict as many as you can. The person who gets the most points gets awarded $20 by me personally!

Here are the questions:

1) How many US players will be in the top 8 of Persona 4, Tekken 7 and GGXrd combined?

2) How many US players will be in the top 8 of USF4?

3) How many “gods” will be in the top 8 of UMVC3 (gods are Justin Wong, FChamp, ChrisG)?

4) How many players will cry on stage (whether tears of joys or tears of sadness)?

5) Will Ono appear in a cosplay? If so then which character? (getting the 2nd question right will award you bonus points)?

6) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of USF4 (counter picks included)?

7) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of UMVC3 (counter picks included)?

8) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of both the Smash games combined (counter picks included)?

9) How many fatalities will we see in the top 8 of MKX?

10) Will Tekken x SF be at EVO? If yes then name two characters that they will unveil at the event (getting the 2nd question right will award you bonus points).

11) Which game will have the highest stream numbers at EVO? Bonus question: Which game will have the lowest stream numbers? (cannot specify same game for both in order to increase your changes to get at least one right)

12) How many players will appear in more than one top 8 at EVO?

13) How many grand final bracket resets will there be at EVO?

14) Will there be more Season 1 or Season 2 characters in Killer Instinct top 8? Bonus question: By how much?

15) How many different countries will be represented in the top 8 of USF4?

16) Which game will have the longest top 8 runtime? Bonus question: Which game will have the shortest run time? (Cannot specify same game for both in order to increase your chances to get at least one right)

17) Will any player make a repeat win at this year’s EVO from last year?

18) Will there be a brand new fighting game announcement at EVO? Bonus question: If so then what will it be?

19) At what time will EVO finish at (rounded to the nearest hour) on the final day?

Getting a regular question right will give you 5 points. Getting a bonus question right will give you 3 points. Final question is worth 3 points per game you get right.

In the event of a tie, the questions that involved guessing with numbers will be used as tie breakers (ie. who got the closest to the guesses across all questions).

You can post your responses in FGW or you can PM me your answers. Deadline is before the start of EVO 2015.
Aw yeah, let's go. Maybe make a thread for this?

1) 6
2) 2
3) 3
4) 3
5) Yes, Alex
6) 9
7) 13
8) 13
9) 2
10) No
11) USFIV, Persona 4 Arena (Assuming you mean finals)
12) 3
13) 6
14) Season 1, 1 more
15) 5
16) Melee, Xrd
17) Yes
18) No
19) 8PM PDT
20):

USFIV - Dieminion
UMvC3 - NYChrisG
Melee - Mango
MKX - SonicFox
Xrd - Ogawa
Smash 4 - ZeRo
KI - Rico Suave
Tekken 7 - JDCR
P4AU - Souji

Okay last years Blaz Blue top 8 was exceptional drama but I don't get anime like KillerKai understands human expressions.

I feel left out of DBZ because I didn't have cable and my friend showed me one episode on toonami(?). Nothing happened.

EVO looks like it might be a great one.

1) How many US players will be in the top 8 of Persona 4, Tekken 7 and GGXrd combined? Five

2) How many US players will be in the top 8 of USF4? Two

3) How many “gods” will be in the top 8 of UMVC3 (gods are Justin Wong, FChamp, ChrisG)? Three

4) How many players will cry on stage (whether tears of joys or tears of sadness)? Two

5) Will Ono appear in a cosplay? If so then which character? (getting the 2nd question right will award you bonus points)? Yes, T.Hawk

6) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of USF4 (counter picks included)? 11

7) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of UMVC3 (counter picks included)? 19

8) How many different characters will we see in the top 8 of both the Smash games combined (counter picks included)? 17

9) How many fatalities will we see in the top 8 of MKX? Four

10) Will Tekken x SF be at EVO? If yes then name two characters that they will unveil at the event (getting the 2nd question right will award you bonus points). No (easiest Q ever)

11) Which game will have the highest stream numbers at EVO? Bonus question: Which game will have the lowest stream numbers? (cannot specify same game for both in order to increase your changes to get at least one right) (Assuming all weekend finals) Highest: Melee, Lowest: Persona

12) How many players will appear in more than one top 8 at EVO? Three

13) How many grand final bracket resets will there be at EVO? (Assuming all finals) Six

14) Will there be more Season 1 or Season 2 characters in Killer Instinct top 8? Bonus question: By how much? Season 1

15) How many different countries will be represented in the top 8 of USF4? Four

16) Which game will have the longest top 8 runtime? Bonus question: Which game will have the shortest run time? (Cannot specify same game for both in order to increase your chances to get at least one right) (Assuming all finals) Longest: Melee, Shortest: MKX

17) Will any player make a repeat win at this year’s EVO from last year? Yes

18) Will there be a brand new fighting game announcement at EVO? Bonus question: If so then what will it be? No

19) At what time will EVO finish at (rounded to the nearest hour) on the final day? 11PM Pacific

Persona: *a Japanese player*
T7: Nobi
Smash Wii U: ZeRo
KI: CDjr
Xrd: *a Japanese player*
MKX: SonicFox
Melee: Mango
Marvel: Chris G
USF4: Daigo
I don't really believe this

If given some clarification on 11, 13 and 16 I may change my answers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well if you want to make sure it gets done, do it yourself.

Enzo_gt
But I already did it long ago :(

You can update your release list. Rise of Incarnates has already released.
Thanks! Done.

lets interview me next week after I win evo
I was googling notable SF players in pools and you're name popped up here! #wemadeit

I demand a recount for the title. I can't believe it's not eSports! is like kaikoken x10 times better.
All the other titles were definitely better, it's a shame, really.

Dahbomb

If given some clarification on 11, 13 and 16 I may change my answers.
Guy's its all finals. Some of them don't even make sense outside of finals (like a grand final reset can only happen in top 8.. not in pools lol).

I feel left out of DBZ because I didn't have cable and my friend showed me one episode on toonami(?). Nothing happened.
Yea that's basically 75% of DBZ episodes right there.

Guy's its all finals. Some of them don't even make sense outside of finals (like a grand final reset can only happen in top 8.. not in pools lol).

Was referring to the full weekend of finals or only the Sunday finals. Something like stream numbers, obviously Fri/Sat games will all get lower numbers than Sunday.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Did Q just get mentioned on UltraChen?

EDIT: Nvm there are like 2 different Xrd players from Japan named Q lol

Top Bottom