• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

Vice

Epic debate over Dorm being top 10 or top 12-ish.

It's pretty close either way. No way is Dorm worse than #12 but no way is he top 8 either like Neo is claiming.
He favors characters who can keep the lead. Dorm can do that quite well, that explains the high ranking.

Dahbomb

Why is it that in Marvel 2 we never EVER did solo character tier lists but all there ever is in Marvel 3 is solo character tier lists?
There have always been single character tier lists in MVC2. That's where the whole "4 gods" thing even comes from.

That said single character tier lists in both MVC2 and MVC3 are bull shit.

Dahbomb

FChamp and Yipes actually did try to make a team tier list but it was getting pretty stupid after the first two.

It was something like Morrigan/Doom/Vergil, then Zero/Dante/Vergil (pretty much what most top players have) and then after that they had like 10 Vergil/Doom teams. After that they just made a duo tier list which I think I posted a few pages back.

Viscan't team tier list is still the most solid thus far although it's slightly out dated now.

And Justin with his on point Wolverine psychological plays. Dem mind games.

Guess which worlds largest fighting game tournament made the morning news in Japan today.

BsvZgYNCEAAbd8i.jpg

Ultimadrago

I've been watching this On Blast Show feat. Triforce recording for way too long. I wasn't expecting to listen in so much.

Many laughs were had.

Shouta

Champ and Neo had Spencer around 5th-ish next to Viper, Nova, Doom, and Wolvie. Some one give me a short break down on why? like specific reasons. A JP player asked me why and I wanted to explain, lol.

Vice

Champ and Neo had Spencer around 5th-ish next to Viper, Nova, Doom, and Wolvie. Some one give me a short break down on why? like specific reasons. A JP player asked me why and I wanted to explain, lol.

Damage - Pretty much a guaranted kill on anyone in the cast. A damage engine to guarantee kills behind a lower damage point character like Nova

Synergy - stuff like tag ins with team Nemo or other setups wouldn't be possible without slant shot.

Good mixups - his high/low/command grab game is really good

Consistency - easy to use and combos work the same on almost every character which results in a lolwer chance of drops.

He also has decent mobility and lots of tech to keep other top tiers in line.

Nyoro SF

Damage - Pretty much a guaranted kill on anyone in the cast. A damage engine to guarantee kills behind a lower damage point character like Nova

Synergy - stuff like tag ins with team Nemo or other setups wouldn't be possible without slant shot.

Good mixups - his high/low/command grab game is really good

Consistency - easy to use and combos work the same on almost every character which results in a lolwer chance of drops.

He also has decent mobility and lots of tech to keep other top tiers in line.

Good list. To add to that, his meter usage is almost never wrong. Both supers do a hard knockdown (!) and bionic arm is one of the best, if not the best 1-meter invincible supers in the game.

Dahbomb

It was Justin and FChamp who were saying Spencer were 5-ish.

They basically stated that not only does Spencer have really high damage but he also has really good command throw mix ups on incoming. Not much else was stated as to why.

Most tier lists do in fact have Viper/Nova/Spencer/Wolverine in the same tier it's just that they keep alternating those characters based on flavor of the month.

As to my personal opinion on it, I don't consider Spencer better than those other characters but he's in the same tier as them. His mobility is unique and allows him to by pass various zoning options or cut out the mobility of others because the zip line is a hit box. With accurate reads you can cut out even Magneto's mobility. It's especially annoying for Dormammu because his hit box is big and whatever he does is either interrupted by Zip line or get Bionic Arm'd. Bionic Arm is a really strong super by itself as it's fast, invincible, has a good hit box and leads into a full combo. If he gets two characters that usually means two dead characters with XF really fast. At certain distances Bionic Arm clearly beats Spiral Swords which makes Vergil respect Spencer a lot (he can also punish his whiffed normals with Bionic Arm into a dead Vergil). Of course he has big damage in the game as well... even off of his throws he can kill no problem (Spencer has top 5 damage in the game and that says a lot). His mix up is strong both in neutral and on incoming because of his ground and anti air command grab. The anti air command grab does lead into guard break situations. He has very strong ground mobility thanks to plink dash and a very good air throw game (because of OS with his beefy j.H hit box). He also has anti air jab and he has a basic high low game with his overhead (not that good without an assist though). He is also relatively easy to play compared to the rest of the characters (harder than Wolverine/Vergil/Nova but easier than Magneto/Viper/Morrrigan) His weaknesses are that despite having a Bionic Arm he is actually susceptible to getting mauled. His normals aren't that fast up close, he of course doesn't have any zoning/chip options which means if a character is at low health he has to get a clean hit on them to kill as opposed to just sitting back and throwing projectiles (an important difference between top 5 and the rest of the characters when people make single tier lists). This also makes him susceptible to getting X factored comebacked on unlike characters like Morrigan, Zero, Viper who have extremely safe moves that you can't X factor against. He also has unfavorable match ups against Zero and Morrigan plus Magneto/Wolverine/Nova standing lights body him when he tries to zip around so while he is competitive against the top tiers he doesn't actually have super favorable match ups. It should be noted that he has solid anti Phoenix tech.

Shouta

It was Justin and FChamp who were saying Spencer were 5-ish.

They basically stated that not only does Spencer have really high damage but he also has really good command throw mix ups on incoming. Not much else was stated as to why.

Most tier lists do in fact have Viper/Nova/Spencer/Wolverine in the same tier it's just that they keep alternating those characters based on flavor of the month.

As to my personal opinion on it, I don't consider Spencer better than those other characters but he's in the same tier as them. His mobility is unique and allows him to by pass various zoning options or cut out the mobility of others because the zip line is a hit box. With accurate reads you can cut out even Magneto's mobility. It's especially annoying for Dormammu because his hit box is big and whatever he does is either interrupted by Zip line or get Bionic Arm'd. Bionic Arm is a really strong super by itself as it's fast, invincible, has a good hit box and leads into a full combo. If he gets two characters that usually means two dead characters with XF really fast. At certain distances Bionic Arm clearly beats Spiral Swords which makes Vergil respect Spencer a lot (he can also punish his whiffed normals with Bionic Arm into a dead Vergil). Of course he has big damage in the game as well... even off of his throws he can kill no problem (Spencer has top 5 damage in the game and that says a lot). His mix up is strong both in neutral and on incoming because of his ground and anti air command grab. The anti air command grab does lead into guard break situations. He has very strong ground mobility thanks to plink dash and a very good air throw game (because of OS with his beefy j.H hit box). He also has anti air jab and he has a basic high low game with his overhead (not that good without an assist though). He is also relatively easy to play compared to the rest of the characters (harder than Wolverine/Vergil/Nova but easier than Magneto/Viper/Morrrigan) His weaknesses are that despite having a Bionic Arm he is actually susceptible to getting mauled. His normals aren't that fast up close, he of course doesn't have any zoning/chip options which means if a character is at low health he has to get a clean hit on them to kill as opposed to just sitting back and throwing projectiles (an important difference between top 5 and the rest of the characters when people make single tier lists). This also makes him susceptible to getting X factored comebacked on unlike characters like Morrigan, Zero, Viper who have extremely safe moves that you can't X factor against. He also has unfavorable match ups against Zero and Morrigan plus Magneto/Wolverine/Nova standing lights body him when he tries to zip around so he while he is competitive against the top tiers he doesn't actually have super favorable match ups. It should be noted that he has solid anti Phoenix tech.

Ah, so they went down why later eh? I saw the list he was doing earlier and it sounded like Neo and Champ. I must be tired, lol

Dahbomb

Ah, so they went down why later eh? I saw the list he was doing earlier and it sounded like Neo and Champ. I must be tired, lol
Nah they didn't explain their picks much at all. It was just two sentences max at most.

At the highest level Spencer is relevant mostly because of his pairing with Nova and a horizontal assist (usually Strange to complete that team). Bolts is obscenely good for him because it opens his command throw game (throw opportunity presents itself between Bolts gap). There aren't many other top tiers that utilize Spencer. There's Yipes team and of course there is that Spencer/Doom/Vergil variant of it.

Dahbomb

I would just say that these tiers are opinions of what top players feel are the best characters based on what they have seen and heavily factor in execution and human error into the equation (hence why Spencer is rated high).

There are quite a few people who actually still think that Viper is the best character in the game if human error/execution wasn't a factor. However since the game isn't played by robots or super human beings we can't really take some of her capabilities into consideration when making tiers for competitive play.

JDdelphin

woah. I just want THAT guy in a fighting game.

I would totally play skullgirls with a character like that...

-or a shark scientist with a jetpack, but hey whatever

I want a character that would yell 'I'm gonna kick yas in the pants!' or 'Take this, ya mook!', 'Why I oughta!'

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
woah. I just want THAT guy in a fighting game.

I would totally play skullgirls with a character like that...

-or a shark scientist with a jetpack, but hey whatever

I want a character that would yell 'I'm gonna kick yas in the pants!' or 'Take this, ya mook!', 'Why I oughta!'
now you're on the trolley!

I would just say that these tiers are opinions of what top players feel are the best characters based on what they have seen and heavily factor in execution and human error into the equation (hence why Spencer is rated high).

People still drop the tiger knee in Spencer combos pretty often.

If you are interested by Tekken X Street Fighter, I made a video which combines all the questions I asked to harada about the game from 2011 to 2013. We talk about gameplay mechanics for the game and some problematics he's having when trying to mix 2D and 3D fighting games.

Here you go: http://youtu.be/7K3iFuoTASM

Tik-Tok

SDCC is coming up... believe!

I dunno if it was just a mistranslation, but during EVO when Harada was announcing Tekken 7, they were talking about how it had already leaked and so they would have to announce something different instead, and how he was up in his hotel room trying to prepare something, but then they announced nothing different. So.... Believe?!?!?

I dunno if it was just a mistranslation, but during EVO when Harada was announcing Tekken 7, they were talking about how it had already leaked and so they would have to announce something different instead, and how he was up in his hotel room trying to prepare something, but then they announced nothing different. So.... Believe?!?!?

Typical trolling IMO

probably could sense the anti-hype for T7 from the "leak" so he set up the story

Top Bottom