• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

What did they say about it?

Not much, was not a big piece just a quick little fluff story for the morning news. Mostly highlighted the Japanese players/winners and showed the crowds and cosplayers. Did a quick talk about the prize money for since Blazblue had so much on the line. Most of it was from 4gamer's coverage. Pretty general stuff. Any coverage is coverage though ! Missed the first time they showed it so I got the cutdown one when they repeat highlights and what not.

New KOF announced. Get hype? http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/apps/kof98/

2b5.gif

you bastard

If you are interested by Tekken X Street Fighter, I made a video which combines all the questions I asked to harada about the game from 2011 to 2013. We talk about gameplay mechanics for the game and some problematics he's having when trying to mix 2D and 3D fighting games.

Here you go: http://youtu.be/7K3iFuoTASM

It makes me upset that he wants to try to cut down on animations per second to make it "feel more 2d". Just cause Capcom & other 2D fighter developers were lazy cause that's considered "a 2d feel". On the otherhand Im really glad him & his team are taking the time to really do this game right & create something unique.

Let's be real. No Tekken character felt like a Tekken character in XTekken. They didn't even play remotely like their counter parts either. It seems Harada is putting a lot more thought into it than Ono did. I think the wait might be worth it.

It makes me upset that he wants to try to cut down on animations per second to make it "feel more 2d". Just cause Capcom & other 2D fighter developers were lazy cause that's considered "a 2d feel". On the otherhand Im really glad him & his team are taking the time to really do this game right & create something unique.

Let's be real. No Tekken character felt like a Tekken character in XTekken. They didn't even play remotely like their counter parts either. It seems Harada is putting a lot more thought into it than Ono did. I think the wait might be worth it.

I loved the Tekken fighters on a 2d plane. They controlled so interestingly. I wish SFxT was just 2d Tekken, because SF characters are so archaic at this point, with movesets a quarter-century old.

I loved the Tekken fighters on a 2d plane. They controlled so interestingly. I wish SFxT was just 2d Tekken, because SF characters are so archaic at this point, with movesets a quarter-century old.

Agree.

If Capcom resold me SFxT as a 1v1 standalone 2D Tekken game, I'd buy and enjoy it.

.la1n

I was trying to think about what it was I really liked about SFxT the other day and you nailed it perfectly. It was the fresh feeling of controlling the Tekken side of the roster on a 2D plane. Part of me wishes we could get just the Tekken fighters in their own 2D fighter that wasn't ruined with DLC / Gem crap.

Honestly NRS games with their inclusion of combo strings in your movelist and focus on juggles, while still not having sidestepping and having plenty of 2D moves like fireballs and teleports and a super meter is the kind of 2D/3D fighter hybrid I wanted.

Which probably comes from all those years spent as 3D fighters, and making 9 by taking MKvsDC and turning off the sidestep function.

It also helps that style clicked with me and gives me enjoyment like SF/3D fighters/other fighters don't. (I only wish the combo strings felt like cancels instead of dialed in inputs).

SFxT felt too much in the SF direction, with the SF cast being similar to 4 and most of their new potential in the new engine (juggles) being tag canceled stuff or usage of the generic LMH chain.

I wanted to jump in crossup, do a string that launches, dash up, do another canceled into a special, then have a fireball to zone after they get knocked away.

Which I can do in MK9/Injustice I suppose, but I wanted to do it as Alisa or Lili :(

man sfxt had so much potential...

DeppCry.gif

i havent been keeping up with tekken since tekken 3. did jin get that projectile for sfxt only, or is it a staple of his move now?

cause i thought it was fucking genious addition in a game with other plasma chucking fighters and was a unique flair to the tekken cast. the fact that it didnt fly across the screen but had preset positions where it appeared was about as "tekken like' take on fireballs as you can get! I love it!

When I first heard about Tekken 7 a few months ago it's name wasn't Tekken 7 but just Tekken, like a reboot. Since this year is the twenty annyversary of Tekken, it makes sense to reboot the series so I was probably one of the few not surprised at all by the announcement at EVO (actually it surprised me it was at because it was supposed the debute in San Diego, but the game itself no).

Nobody thought that Tekken was going to be out before Tekken X Street Fighter, even me before I knew about the game. I forgot to ask Harada about his progress on TxSF when I saw him two weeks ago, but I don't think this project is dead or anything like that. Harada is just working on mechanics freely, a thing he could not do on Tekken for years since the game has his fanbase that doesn't want a big change.

I'll have my interview with Harada ready by the end of next week I suppose. It will be somehow outdated but since we talked about many things related to fighting games, it should interest you.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
fighting games that deserve sequels but got phone games instead

... at least KoF 14 is all but confirmed, the city needs you AM2 :((

What they should of done is expand the hitbox on a bunch of characters focus attacks when they red focus cancelled so more characters can make use of it.

Shoutouts to Deejay moon walking 8 feet backwards when you try to focus cancel his dread kicks

thank you based Capcom

FChamp had an interesting point about one of Dormammu's negatives. People can afford to blow x-factor to kill his Magneto, since with Dorm's big hitbox he'll have a hard time avoiding the incoming mixup.

Kumubou

fighting games that deserve sequels but got phone games instead

... at least KoF 14 is all but confirmed, the city needs you AM2 :((
What's a worse fate: Your favorite development team working on mobile ports and games or working on unrelated anime games (like Project Diva and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax)? :|

What's a worse fate: Your favorite development team working on mobile ports and games or working on unrelated anime games (like Project Diva and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax)? :|

If you ask me, it's definitely mobile ports. At least the anime games are new and some of them actually pretty good.

This is mainly due to me not being a fan of the mobile game market, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Since you mentioned Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, who's the grappler in that game? I don't know much about the game's roster and who fits into what category.

Rhapsody

Banned
If you ask me, it's definitely mobile ports. At least the anime games are new and some of them actually pretty good.

This is mainly due to me not being a fan of the mobile game market, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Since you mentioned Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, who's the grappler in that game? I don't know much about the game's roster and who fits into what category.

No grappler in that.

Dahbomb

FChamp had an interesting point about one of Dormammu's negatives. People can afford to blow x-factor to kill his Magneto, since with Dorm's big hitbox he'll have a hard time avoiding the incoming mixup.
No one actually X factors to kill Magneto because if they blow XF early against a Dorm team that's a huge risk as he will chip them out. Even FChamp said that if they blow XF early and he has Dorm he should never lose.

Dorm at least has air dash to escape some mix ups. It's a much better option on incoming than someone like Vergil does. You can't rate a character down because they get blown up on incoming as every character gets blown up even Sentinel (if you cross him up to make him Hard Drive the other way he's toast).

The real reason why Dorm isn't rated top 8 like some people think he should be is that he's a character that is assist reliant but you can't play him on point. His start of the game gambit is well below average and against someone like Wolverine it's really bad for him. That's why almost no one plays him on point when he's a beast with 2 assists backing him up. He needs a point character to let him come into the field with some time to set up.

The other problem is that his support value is low to justify him at the 2nd spot. Most characters at 2nd slot these days are support because 3rd character is anchor. Dorm needs Missiles to be a force which means he needs Doom behind him which means you are playing a team without a top tier anchor. Dorm's assists suck... if his assists were good he would be top 10 free because his spot at #2 would be 100% justified. As it is when you play a Dorm team your point is playing with one neutral assist and no top anchor which means you are forced into a front loaded team.

It's not a matter of his tools or match ups... on match ups he actually beats Morrigan and even does solid against Zero/Magneto when set up. His problem is in synergy, he is hard to place in a team and he's an assist reliant character who you can't play on point and he's a secondary that lacks a good assist. In many ways he's just a better Storm although Storm is much more playable on point.

pixelish

oh, ti4 is happening on the same weekend as vxg? i hope valve doesn't mind losing a large number of viewers to the greatest video game tournament ever held at da beech.

No one actually X factors to kill Magneto because if they blow XF early against a Dorm team that's a huge risk as he will chip them out. Even FChamp said that if they blow XF early and he has Dorm he should never lose.

Dorm at least has air dash to escape some mix ups. It's a much better option on incoming than someone like Vergil does. You can't rate a character down because they get blown up on incoming as every character gets blown up even Sentinel (if you cross him up to make him Hard Drive the other way he's toast).

The real reason why Dorm isn't rated top 8 like some people think he should be is that he's a character that is assist reliant but you can't play him on point. His start of the game gambit is well below average and against someone like Wolverine it's really bad for him. That's why almost no one plays him on point when he's a beast with 2 assists backing him up. He needs a point character to let him come into the field with some time to set up.

The other problem is that his support value is low to justify him at the 2nd spot. Most characters at 2nd slot these days are support because 3rd character is anchor. Dorm needs Missiles to be a force which means he needs Doom behind him which means you are playing a team without a top tier anchor. Dorm's assists suck... if his assists were good he would be top 10 free because his spot at #2 would be 100% justified. As it is when you play a Dorm team your point is playing with one neutral assist and no top anchor which means you are forced into a front loaded team.

It's not a matter of his tools or match ups... on match ups he actually beats Morrigan and even does solid against Zero/Magneto when set up. His problem is in synergy, he is hard to place in a team and he's an assist reliant character who you can't play on point and he's a secondary that lacks a good assist. In many ways he's just a better Storm although Storm is much more playable on point.
This is exactly correct in every way.

I also want to note that if I lose Firebrand, I will burn X-Factor to survive incoming mixups with Dormammu 100% of the time. If he dies, I just have Shuma-Gorath left, who sucks.

Top Bottom