• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

soakrates

Y'all need to understand that the vast majority of players (including most of you) are not at the level where tiers and matchups become a big factor. At the highest level of play, they can and do make a huge difference.

Anne

Ok.... Well I was speaking about Street Fighter. I don't know how balanced characters are for other games. Of course some match ups that suck so not much you can do about it but I was speaking more among the lines if there is a will, there is a way. Now if the matchup is 9-1, which sounds like it is in your case, I wouldn't insult your intelligence or reads, just insult the game's balance.

Nah, these MUs exist in pretty much every Street Fighter game ever. And just 7-3s can actually be that bad when at a high level and all the tools are out there.

Y'all need to understand that the vast majority of players (including most of you) are not at the level where tiers and matchups become a big factor. At the highest level of play, they can make a huge difference.

For the millionth time this. MUs can cause a /little/ bit of things to be rough at a mid level, but it's not like it is at a high level.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Nah, these MUs exist in pretty much every Street Fighter game ever. And just 7-3s can actually be that bad when at a high level and all the tools are out there.

Then I retract my statement. My inexperience shows, people could be a little bit nicer though...

isn't hakan vs sim like 8-2 or was? I know infil threw that number out but nobody believed him because champ, art and a few others were beating mid tiers hakan.

Then infil came and bodieddd champ with hakan. Shit look like a "win at character select" match

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This to the greatest degree. I body Sagat's and Juri's on the regular and that's suppose to be a horrible matchup for Gief. Surely its difficult, but not impossible. You just gotta outplay your opponent.

I do think learning to play bad matchups is a high level skill in and of itself

but saying "tiers don't matter I body bad matchups all the time" seems just as naive to me as the people blaming them for their losses in casual games

edit: MB people already responded to the Yams

Match ups matter it's just team vs team rather than character vs character. Haggar will lose to Magneto 1 on 1 but if it's 3 characters and one of them is Haggar versus solo Magneto then that is almost as bad as 3 characters (one being Magneto) versus Haggar. Magneto can't rush down a Haggar on his own terms and in that sense Haggar is excellent at maintaining a life lead because of Lariat.

Of course matchups still matter in Marvel, but if you have a well constructed team it's not going to affect you to the degree it does in something like Ultra.

If your team has 8-2 matchups in favor of the other guy, it's a shitty team.

vulva

10559809_4511328837010_6732541245985015111_n.jpg

From Xians instagram, his gf got this since he didn't do well as well as he'd like at EVO.

Aaaawwwww

When will it be my turn to have a QT 3.14 SF4 playing gf

Former champ of her heart? So she's dumping him? If so... what a way to do it!

isn't hakan vs sim like 8-2 or was? I know infil threw that number out but nobody believed him because champ, art and a few others were beating mid tiers hakan.

Then infil came and bodieddd champ with hakan. Shit look like a "win at character select" match

Focus forward and command throws and oil slides when you fireball makes it tough. When he is oiled up, its like armor. Same reason its tough for Balrog.

Anne

What is "mid level" in this context?

My basic idea of mid level is understands the game, system, chars etc and can perform most things in the game, but hasn't fully gotten into all the concepts that go on past that. Like somebody who can play and knows like BnBs and stuff, but hasn't gotten down things like footsies and mindgames and engine stuff.

kirblar

The better player overall will generally win until you reach a certain high-level play, where things get closer and margins like MUs start mattering a lot more. This definitely isn't unique to FGs.

YO JWONG GOT A SHOUTOUT AT TI4.

EG won against DK and one of them said that somebody is pulling a jwong and rolling on the floor if they win lol

Sheroking

My basic idea of mid level is understands the game, system, chars etc and can perform most things in the game, but hasn't fully gotten into all the concepts that go on past that. Like somebody who can play and knows like BnBs and stuff, but hasn't gotten down things like footsies and mindgames and engine stuff.

You're right IMO.

I was just curious where you put that bar. I think there are match-ups in most games where you don't need to be a high level player to take advantage of them. Like some of the Sagat match-ups.

The better player overall will generally win until you reach a certain high-level play, where things get closer and margins like MUs start mattering a lot more. This definitely isn't unique to FGs.

It should go without saying that a skill gap will overpower the match-up issue.

The whole "out of 10" thing is designed around the concept of what if two equal players had a 10 game set with these two characters, what should the record be.

He just comes across as very metro imo. He's dating Jen, the Singapore chun li player.

I always got the impression that Zhi was hitting that.

But that might be Zhi's omnisexual aura more than anything Xian put out.

Rhapsody

Banned
What's May's playstyle like?

Offense charge character. You'll be charging during combos and not defensively.

May also has specials to summon dolphins from that ground as a combo extender or oki (you release the button to have them attack). She also has a command grab. She's a type of character that just gets in there and wails. She's pretty fun.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just read that the arcade patch for BBCP is upgrading the game to 2.0. Time for S+++ tier Izayoi?

Time for Z tier Makoto!

Mori actually told me Mak being as shitty as she is in 1.1 was an accident they thought the bounce and j.b -> j.d chain was going to be a big upgrade for her LOL

Offense charge character. You'll be charging during combos and not defensively.

May also has specials to summon dolphins from that ground as a combo extender or oki (you release the button to have them attack). She also has a command grab. She's a type of character that just gets in there and wails. She's pretty fun.

She also has a beachball that bounces around the screen now to help her against rush down and in general just fill the screen with shit

Anyone not Bedman, Chipp, Zato, Ramlethal, or Venom.

Bedman's design looks too busy for me
2575365-1136374439-chara.png

Chip looks okay, is he the Ryu of the game?
301511-chipp.jpg

Zato... well, he looks like a guy I would call Zato
248093-zato1.jpg

Is Venom a zoning character? Should I even be thinking like that?
205890-venom_acc.jpg

Man, this Anime stuff.... I am trying Q, I'm trying.

edit;oops, I miss-read your post.

petghost

Banned
I will miss cranking up guard bar with Venom in AC. :/

Yeah Venom takes a long ass time to crank gb in xrd it's a bummer. Faust/Sol on the other hand got it easy in this department.

i'd say venom is a hybrid like Q said but it can sometimes be hard to get enough time to set up a 2 ball+ formation. once he is able to do that he can set up a good zoning game. he also has good pressure/setplay/oki using the balls to cover the gaps between his pressure etc. good pokes too, like f.s and cr.s.

not bad some heavy hitters. Smug, ChrisG, Sherry, Velociraptor, Simsim, blackskillz, ultra david (not really a heavy hitter), and some others.

i'll have you know that i beat two of the people on that list in the tournament, finished higher than 3 of them, and finished in the same place as one of the others

YOU try playin in a 24 person tournament where a third of the entrants have won or placed top 8 in major tournaments in recent times, see how YOU do

i'll have you know that i beat two of the people on that list in the tournament, finished higher than 3 of them, and finished in the same place as one of the others

YOU try playin in a 24 person tournament where a third of the entrants have won or placed top in major tournaments, see how YOU do

grinch-smile-o.gif

David putting that forum search feature to good use.

that's pretty much all i do here

bbcp will be getting a bigger update? sweet, maybe they can actually balance it instead of just switching stuff around and nerfing tager. i kinda don't understand that company updating/releasing all 3 of its major fighting game franchises almost simultaneously but i'm pretty stoked to see which one i like best!

I heard Ultra David has a small penis.

Can anyone confirm?

I also heard the Cal Bears suck donkey balls.

Can Ultra David confirm?

I also heard that Hockey shouldn't be watched in America.

Can Ultra David's fanboys confirm?

Top Bottom