• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 7-13 | EVO 2014: Putting Q in more games than Capcom

alstein

On the whole Tekken being made simpler: I think I've figured out in my lack of sleep the fundamental issue:

Most people don't mind it as much (or at all) losing to reads. If they feel like they guessed wrong, or were predictable, that's just the way things go.

I think people mind it when they lose to something they feel is out of their control- be it a broken character (yes, you can pick the character, but what if you hate that character?), some hard combo or execution technique that you can't do (yes, that's "skill", but the other person sees it as a stupid brick wall)

That said, there are folks who love being able to fraud folks out with stuff like this, and get mad when the playing field is levelled.

I think the key is for folks who feel like they can do everything, and for them to feel like when they lose, it's because of a bad decision on their part, not bad design on the game's part. That might be impossible- people don't like to admit they suck at thinking/got outplayed.

j5W8Uq1P5ewaM.jpg

Dat lyfestyle

AAK

Someone have that stupid post AAK kept making everytime someone brought up a Tekken related announcement as if it was god's word that there would be nothing about Tekken this year? Anyone?

I'm doing you all a favor! :p

I STILL think everyone should keep their expectations in check. I slide withe the word "Tekken 7" isn't really a major announcement. For all we know that's all they're gonna show after a monologue from Namco. In the end, are they going to show gameplay? I still personally doubt it.

Niitris

I'd prefer something similar to a better balanced Tekken 3.

There's a reason so many people like it (even if some of it had to do with Sony's stranglehold at the time).

Sayah

About Tekken I had Harada in interview two weeks ago. We talked for one hour about the future of Tekken. To make it short here's what he said to me :

- They had complaints that TTT2 had too many characters so they'll stop at T6 number.
- Tekken Revo worked great in USA, for younger players, and it also had people (casuals) coming back to the series after leaving it for years. It means the F2P model, even if he didn't talked about making money with it, can help people play your game, find a new public, by lowering the entry charge.
- I told him that in my opinion, Tekken was a game from the nineties for people that grew in this period. Because the game is full of colors, electro, nonsense, light hearted things. You can have the old master Baek, then the stylish nineties hwoarang then a bear so I asked him if he realized that maybe, it was too much for people born after 2000. I feel that younger players want cool but "serious" things and that being funny and absurd was maybe is ok but for one character but not for the entire game. He told me he agreed on that and that he has to work on this while still staying true to Tekken, and that it's hard.
- We talked about tutorials and how everyone says fighting games are too complicated and people wants to get in without making any efforts, and they want tutorials. So I basically said what I said here : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840119
Harada told me he agreed somehow, but that if learning was a too hard, people would stop playing the game, even of the tutorial is great. He said he wanted some tutorial with a cool coach maybe, something funny that helps you feel good.
- We tried to talk about teaching the meaning of mechanics, and not just the theory, but it was hard because of the translation (and because I had two car accidents on the way, so I was exhausted). What I said to him and since he practiced Judo (I practiced french kickboxing so we could talk about this) and knows what it's about to learn how to fight, maybe it would be better to just mimick reality to show people how dangerous a fight is, even in a videogame. As it's "just a game" people does not take care about their life, their decisions, and then complaint they lost. He agreed and then we joked about a tutorial when you fight a tree and broke your leg on it, and electrocuting people when they loose. :'D
- We asked him to make a french character and had a bug discussion about what french players thought about their representation. He cas curious about Abel in SF4.

If I remember other things I'll write it here. Harada is very nice in interview.

Wow. Thanks for sharing this.

DEATH™;120771916 said:
Honestly, if T7 is indeed having a roster cut, almost no one is safe. They can delete storyline wise (Baek, Wang, Pachi, Ogres, Devil Jin, Zafina, Alisa etc), they can delete "clones" (Anna, Armor King, Kunimitsu, Michelle, Jun, most of the top roster), popularity (most animals, Ganryu, Raven), and even a possible generation change (Heihachi, Paul, Marshall, Lei, Bruce, Lee, even Nina). As long as your char neither has Mishima Blood, young, easy and mostly used, replaceable generation wise, or hot female schoolgirl, your char isn't safe...

Either way it's gonna be a tough game to transition especially with Tag 2 being too awesome.

Anna, Armor King, and Jun are way too different from their counterparts to be considered clones now. Michelle, yes. I think if they get left out, it'll be because their better half has more history in the series/is more popular (I.e. Nina, King, Asuka).

Wow. Thanks for sharing this.

I also wrote this in the EVO thread :

More seriously, I interviewed harada 3 times about TxSF and it's not a basic 2D game he's working on, more something that blends 3D mechanics with 2D mechanics and need a lot of work. For example when I asked him last year, he was working on offensive jumps and it was hard as it's not common to start attacking by a jump in a 3D game, but it's mandatory in 2D games. He was also struggling with the responsive feeling you have in a 2D game compared to a 3D game, trying to find the right balance.

Harada cannot change Tekken too much and said he wanted to use TxSF to try new things he could not do in Tekken. :)

The interviews I made :

Just watch the interview (2013): http://youtu.be/7VUmTErqTOU?t=8m42s
Edit : About blocking/fireballs in TxSF (2011): http://youtu.be/TAYar96amuI?t=13m7s

I have another interview with harada from 2012 where we talked about the jumps i mentionned earlier. It was never published.

So here you go about all I know about TxSF. ^^

Sayad

- We asked him to make a french character and had a bug discussion about what french players thought about their representation. He cas curious about Abel in SF4.

If I remember other things I'll write it here. Harada is very nice in interview.
Great read, thanks for sharing. About that french character, I always assumed Lili was french, is she not?!

As for the TxSF stuff, the more I hear about it the more it seems it would be play like the EX series but with more concentration on the 3D stuff/mechanics. Hopefully the announcement being after USF4 really mean it's TxSF, wouldn't make sense to announce T7 after SF4.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
over the past 28 days, japan has watched 1,879 hours of my vf tourney uploads.
north america has watched 74.

-____-

oneida

We're busy watching EVO. :p

For 28 days.

It's like this every month. it's no secret that VF is unpopular in the states, but why is its unpopularity so disproportionate? 5FS is 2 years older in japan than it is here, and the dropoff is still enormous. and it's not just north america, either - NA is next in line after japan in my viewer list. korea, taiwan, etc - there's something that isn't leaving japan about this series.

kirblar

It's like this every month. it's no secret that VF is unpopular in the states, but why is its unpopularity so disproportionate? 5FS is 2 years older in japan than it is here, and the dropoff is still enormous. and it's not just north america, either - NA is next in line after japan in my viewer list. korea, taiwan, etc - there's something that isn't leaving japan about this series.
Because VF was primarily an arcade and SEGA-produced systems, the last two of which (Saturn/Dreamcast) sold disastrously low #s in the system. Much like VS and 3S, it wasn't reaching the playerbase in the states cause it was on the wrong hardware.

oneida

Because VF was primarily an arcade and SEGA-produced systems, the last two of which (Saturn/Dreamcast) sold disastrously low #s in the system. Much like VS and 3S, it wasn't reaching the playerbase in the states cause it was on the wrong hardware.

How well did DoA3 do on the original Xbox? I honestly don't know, but that series has always been relatively popular with "casual gamers", and I suspect that it didn't sell as well as Tekken Tag did on the PS2. VF4 and 4Evo were on PS2 as well.

in b4 boobs boobs mash counter boobs

I think Anna should be kept, but most of the other clone chars should go.
I want a Devil asuka customization for Asuka now.

Gameplaywise: I want throws to work like VF. Tekken has such cool throws but you rarely see them in high-level play which is a shame.

Nope, hate guessing throws....nope.

Honestly though core tekken is just hard to learn. i don't think there is a Tekken player who can point out what can make Tekken easier.

Great read, thanks for sharing. About that french character, I always assumed Lili was french, is she not?!

As for the TxSF stuff, the more I hear about it the more it seems it would be play like the EX series but with more concentration on the 3D stuff/mechanics. Hopefully the announcement being after USF4 really mean it's TxSF, wouldn't make sense to announce T7 after SF4.

Lili is from Monaco, a kind of little kingdom the size of a city on the south of France. We share the language but Monaco is not France at all. :)

oneida

Nope, hate guessing throws....nope.
it's easier in VF than soul calibur because in VF you can be breaking a throw while blocking (affectionately, lazy throw escape). this is a change from the old days when you could OS multiple TE's. it's a controversial change, but I like it- less demanding on inputs than MTE, and now it's read based, like everything else in VF. breaking throws against wolf is so scary.

maybe it wouldn't work in Tekken, but VF has the best throw system in fighting games imo.

it's easier in VF than soul calibur because in VF you can be breaking a throw while blocking (affectionately, lazy throw escape). this is a change from the old days when you could OS multiple TE's. it's a controversial change, but I like it- less demanding on inputs than MTE, and now it's read based, like everything else in VF. breaking throws against wolf is so scary.

maybe it wouldn't work in Tekken, but VF has the best throw system in fighting games imo.

Oh I know i play VF. I just always disliked guessing to break throws

DEATH™

Just in case some don't know, the guess break throws do exists in Tekken in the form of multithrows, and they are massively underused because of hard inputs. There is a hidden stigma of multithrows being just a scrub tool...

Kimosabae

Banned
Just give me jumpsuit Jin a la Tekken 4/5 and I'm in. That's literally the only character design I've liked in the series and it's been a barrier towards my dedication to the series ever since.

DEATH™;120843517 said:
Just in case some don't know, the guess break throws do exists in Tekken in the form of multithrows, and they are massively underused because of hard inputs. There is a hidden stigma of multithrows being just a scrub tool...

Lemme add you still have to guess throw breaks for certain characters with out them being multi-throws.

King's Giant Swing is a 1 break but it looks like a 1+2 break for example.

I always figured it's because most people think the game is boring to watch.

I dunno. I love watching it. I unfortunately can't play the game for shit, so I don't know what I'm watching all the time. One of the only fighting games that I just can't get a grasp on. Too complicated for me.

Play Bb it's a good game

BBCP is definitely the best out of the previous iterations.

Also wanted to post this here since the evo thread moves so fast:

So regarding the BBCP final match, I noticed something that I wanted to check right away:
http://youtu.be/DrvY6BbiUE0?t=26m17s

Galileo's super actually didn't combo and it reset Dogura. I don't really want to call it collusion but that was really weird, it's hard to say if Dogura wasn't paying attention or not since he was definitely holding down the button to tech.

Imm0rt4l

I just saw the NLBC vs WNF exhibition - people are blowing that shit way out of proportion. Yeah, the set wasn't close but the actual matches were largely competitive. I honestly don't think the results say much, even though I did expect WNF to win.
Yeah, it wasn't free by any means. I did expect the same outcome though.

oneida

I always figured it's because most people think the game is boring to watch.

I dunno. I love watching it. I unfortunately can't play the game for shit, so I don't know what I'm watching all the time. One of the only fighting games that I just can't get a grasp on. Too complicated for me.
it's different for sure, dunno if I think it's actually complicated. there's a lot more stuff that you just don't need to know to play well than other fighters I feel. that stems from the frame data, since virtually (haha lol) every move is disadvantageous on block the back-and-forth volley of a match is constantly moving. there's so little in the game that's punishable in a traditional sense. gives it a good flow, and lets people control time not with block strings but with delay strings.

Top Bottom