• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 7-13 | EVO 2014: Putting Q in more games than Capcom

KI_Maya_Colour_03CB-720x1441.jpg

high res Maya

Not quite right. More of a lose-lose-lose-lose-win-lose match for NLBC

Pretty much...

NLBC gets like 10K viewers while WNF struggle to get 3K (regular weeks with no out of town-ers).

Of course the NLBC hype bandwagon be much bigger, and when they lose they are going to get ridicule. It's probably already happening on twitter as I post this.

Pretty much...

NLBC gets like 10K viewers while WNF struggle to get 3K (regular weeks with no out of town-ers).

Of course the NLBC hype bandwagon be much bigger, and when they lose they are going to get ridicule. It's probably already happening on twitter as I post this.

They're also at a more reasonable hour to watch for a large number of people, and I think that plays into it more than a lot of people think.

They're also at a more reasonable hour to watch for a large number of people, and I think that plays into it more than a lot of people think.

100% agree, but it doesn't change the numbers. It is what it is 10k vs 3k. People on 10k streams are going to have more fans than people on 3k streams. So the people with more fans are going to out cheer the other side therefor the hype for NLBC is going to be much greater, thus when they lose.... guys like Bum will start to go in on the EC.

Marz

Why did Justin Wong and Ricky Ortiz use their pocket characters that have only been out for a few weeks against the best Sagat on the planet in top 32 at Evo?

Someone explain this to me please.

Imm0rt4l

Why did Justin Wong and Ricky Ortiz use their pocket characters that have only been out for a few weeks against the best Sagat on the planet in top 32 at Evo?

I can only imagine they were hoping that lack of experience from their opponents would make up the difference in the bad matchup that is rufus sagat. Strangely enough I've seen Justin fair well against some sagats, but this is bonchan.

BadWolf

They probably know he can handle their Rufus.

mbpm1

I can only imagine they were hoping that lack of experience from their opponents would make up the difference in the bad matchup that is rufus sagat. Strangely enough I've seen Justin fair well against some sagats, but this is bonchan.

Picking your shit seems to work better this evo.

mbpm1

damn so who almost swept? snake eyez?

Also damn that small head big body akuma lol

Different players played different people.

Marq Teddy beat Zeus 2-1
Keno beat Smug 2-1
Velociraptor beat Sanford 2-0
Filipinoman destroyed Art 2-0
Snake-Eyez lost to Dieminion 2-1
Marq Teddy beat Dieminion 2-1

damn so who almost swept? snake eyez?

Also damn that small head big body akuma lol
Everyone was paired up with someone and the losers of those matches were out. Exactly like the SoCal vs Norcal match. Dieminion was the only one to win his match against Snake Eyez for NLBC and then proceeded to lose to Marq Teddy's Guy.

Marz

Rufus/Sagat is in Sagat's favor.

Yea so? This is Evo. At least switch back to your main after you lose game 1 or something for goodness sake. Its not like their counterpick gave them any sort of a leg up Bonchan made quick work of them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Help me round up all of the announcements we've had at EVO. What am I missing?

KI: Maya in S2
SG: Encore coming to PS4/Vita
MKX: Raiden
Razer Atrox for X1

Yea so? This is Evo. At least switch back to your main after you lose game 1 or something for goodness sake. Its not like their counterpick gave them any sort of a leg up Bonchan made quick work of them.

Nah I disagree. Because it's Evo you should do whatever you think will work. This is when you bring out all of your tricks and bullshit. The Rufus/Sagat matchup just sucks so much. It's not like Justin and Ricky don't know what they're doing with their backup characters. Justin has been playing Elena for a while now and he did beat Ryan Hart at UFGT10 with her.

What it sounds like you're saying is never pick anyone but your main, no matter how shitty the matchup is. Fuck that. If you've got backup characters you're confident with, then go with them, especially if you think you stand a better chance. A lot of players do this. What if it worked? Then people would call it brilliant.

Daigo wasn't playing Evil Ryu or Yun for that long and he got bopped for it. Would you say that he should've stuck with Ryu? Yesterday should Daigo have gone with Yun against Champ? What if he would've lost that? Would it have been a stupid decision?

In my opinion you always go with whatever you think is gonna give you the best chance to win. For Justin and Ricky, apparently they thought it was gonna be Elena and Rolento.

kirblar

Nah I disagree. Because it's Evo you should do whatever you think will work. This is when you bring out all of your tricks and bullshit. The Rufus/Sagat matchup just sucks so much. It's not like Justin and Ricky don't know what they're doing with their backup characters. Justin has been playing Elena for a while now and he did beat Ryan Hart at UFGT10 with her.

What it sounds like you're saying is never pick anyone but your main, no matter how shitty the matchup is. Fuck that. If you've got backup characters you're confident with, then go with them, especially if you think you stand a better chance. A lot of players do this. What if it worked? Then people would call it brilliant.

Daigo wasn't playing Evil Ryu or Yun for that long and he got bopped for it. Would you say that he should've stuck with Ryu? Yesterday should Daigo have gone with Yun against Champ? What if he would've lost that? Would it have been a stupid decision?

In my opinion you always go with whatever you think is gonna give you the best chance to win. For Justin and Ricky, apparently they thought it was gonna be Elena and Rolento.
I think everyone would say that not picking Yun against Champ would be a mistake, given their collective history.

ec0ec0

I think everyone would say that not picking Yun against Champ would be a huge mistake, given their collective history.

(taking into consideration that, if he had taken the "free win", he would have continued in winners normally. He could have continued advancing through the tournament easily. Sako had no problem playing half the cast depending on his oponents.)

No replay button for matches? No improved netcode? :(
edit: But as expected I don't think there will be major balance changes beyond fixing hitboxes because it took them this long on a shoe string budget to produce USF4 as it is.. Move on to SFA4 pls..

And give the STreet Fighter Alpha series the darkstalkers and mvc origins treatment pls :((

Marz

I think the Rufus/Sagat matchup is very slightly in Sagat favor and with all the damage nerfs Sagat got it might even be even. I have literally never heard of Sagat beating Rufus really badly before this thread Rufus just has to play a safer game. Zangief is a lot harder for Rufus than Sagat IMO and lately they've been making that matchup look like Rufus wins easily. Should have at least switched after game 1 when Bonchan takes care of their "counter pick" so easily.

Justin beat Ryan Hart at UFGT when Hart hadn't had any MU experience....Bonchan's been playing the arcade release for 3+ months.

I'm not saying don't switch characters ever, but Sagat is not someone you need to switch for unless you're a grappler.

And yea Daigo should have switched to Yun with da quickness.

Top Bottom