• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 10-16 | We got new fighting games! And a new Smash Bros!

True. Wasn't someone in a Skullgirls thread arguing that Morrigan was a virgin?

ANYway, I think you're right... that the regular top contenders in Marvel are the biggest potential problem for him, but none of them have been showing off their tech or pocket characters in the last few months. I think this unknown is the biggest threat to ChrisG. Even though his team is designed to neutralize the unknown, that may not work when the unknown is specifically designed to counter him.
Morrigan has definitely been around the block. No way a woman like her can be that enticing without having experience. :p

Also, these aren't Metal Gear Solid VR missions lol. The unknown has a lot on their plate if it's not FChamp or one of the likely top 8 rocking some secret tech/team combination. Anyone who hasn't fought him regularly is going to be stuck mostly absorbing information from video and players rather than raw battle experience. Right now I think the best chance lies with experienced top players who are experimenting with secret countermeasures.
Motivation allows players to perform near their skill cap. Justin Wong is a highly skilled and smart player but he lacks the motivation to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoM7t6jz5I&sns=em

The ChrisG interview where he down plays EVO.
I'm afraid of this interview. I've heard he just sounds like he is rambling on and on. He definitely pulled out the option select like you said, though. :O
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63847701]You know how when you play the old mario games there's invisible boxes that appear when you jump?

Mario should be able to activate those in Smash with his coinryuken jump to create new platforms. That'd be cool.[/QUOTE]
That is actually a really neat idea. I'm assuming opponents and team mates will be able to use them as well?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Motivation allows players to perform near their skill cap. Justin Wong is a highly skilled and smart player but he lacks the motivation to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoM7t6jz5I&sns=em

The ChrisG interview where he down plays EVO.

Gotta say, I've been impressed with F.Champ's attitude and devotion. He's turned a lot of things around since he got sponsored.

ChrisG's never really interviewed particularly well. And he took his interview while at the BigTwo, lol. It's disappointing to hear some things from ChrisG, but you can tell he's exasperated with the general negative attitude regarding his team. He's annoyed with his infamy at this point. Being the villain, everyone's blaming him for the "death of Marvel" and celebrating his losses. I don't think he's used to being in that position.

I feel like he might be letting his previous altercation with Mr. Wizard get to him. I don't think he articulated it well, but it sounds like he was trying to say that winning EVO isn't the end of the career. There's no finality to winning it, so he downplayed it. After it's over, you go to the same weekly tournaments. It doesn't change your day to day.

He also sounds slightly frustrated with the size of the FGC in general, but that's something that has no simple solution.

I also think he brings up a good point about Sakura. He started using Sakura, and winning with her, and all of a sudden everyone calls for nerfs. It speaks to a general attitude surrounding the most popular games.

Should be interesting either way.

Morrigan has definitely been around the block. No way a woman like her can be that enticing without having experience. :p

#TruthFACT

Also, these aren't Metal Gear Solid VR missions lol. The unknown has a lot on their plate if it's not FChamp or one of the likely top 8 rocking some secret tech/team combination. Anyone who hasn't fought him regularly is going to be stuck mostly absorbing information from video and players rather than raw battle experience. Right now I think the best chance lies with experienced top players who are experimenting with secret countermeasures.

Yeah, that's what I mean by the unknown. Pocket characters/pairings for Justin, FChamp, PRBalrog, etc. Those will be the most interesting things to see at Evo.

Well just booked my hotel for evo :(
Expensive?

He just said he thinks the PS3 is better for consumers, he just seems to think people are misunderstanding how DRM works/how big an impact it has on streaming events. I'd keep in mind that his opinions have directly been informed by XBox devs.
It's not just the DRM, though. It's having to set up Kinect and calibrate it at every single station, the Xbox being a vastly inferior platform spec-wise, and that the DRM is supposedly "even worse" than we've been told, according to CBOAT. I think it's pretty clear what that "even worse" info is, but I won't spread any rumors.

The biggest threats to ChrisG at Evo are probably just people using Zero and Wolverine and maybe landing that lucky hit.

LOL spooky just introduced KBrad as "not the only Cammy to beat Infiltration."

alstein

I haven't heard a peep from the guy since cross assault until today. All he did was take pot shots on twitter. Also, the implicit assumptions in this post and the one about "low economic status" are pretty insulting and naive. Cheers

"low economic status" is pretty true when it comes to the FGC, especially when you compare it to say, the average Starcraft player. I've been around- I know what many locals do (or don't do) for a living.

There are exceptions- obviously.

As for things embarassing the FGC, embarassing things do happen. I do think the FGC gets an unfair spotlight, because these things do occur in other communities- but just because they get a free pass doesn't mean that it should be excusable in the FGC. We should strive to do better as a general rule.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
If someone spent the past few years doing nothing but trashing you online to anyone who would listen, would you ever want to give them the time of day in real life? Yeah, sorry, it's not going to happen. I think I spotted him once at our party, and then proceeded to move on with my life. I've tried being civil with him in the past and discovered that it's not worth it. That he even bothered to tweet about some bogus encounter that only exists in his head only validates that decision.

Also, that people in the "FGC" still believe that I've ever gone to the media to bring to light any of the issues that exist within it is proof enough that it's a scene still not mature enough to accept the responsibility of its actions. Why would any Twitch employees actively try and damage the reputation of the site by trying to highlight some of its more embarrassing content? By this logic, we're the ones who told the media about that kid who forgot to turn off his cam for some "private time."

You guys talk about growth, and you talk about wanting to get a bigger spotlight and more cash, well, media attention is something that comes along with that.

Wow I wish I could get these kind of answers in real life instead of you posting on a forum to do it. Im not delusional by the way, you did the same thing at pax (I was at the twitch booth, you basically ran me over before I gave my injustice presentation, didn't look back at all either. Basically almost knocked me in my feet. I'm also not the first person that you've outright ignored from the fgc. Are we all just crazy or making up stories?

Aside from all that the main beef I'm obviously blowing you up about your comment on ki which was uncalled for and super unprofessional. I hate the fact that you throw a entire community under the bus and your twitter friends rt you basically keeping your silly bias going. It's funny that you say that too because I've blown up fishstix for similar things, but at the end of the day he's still cordial, still wants us to stream on twitch...basically he's doing your community manager job better than you are

Just stick to not talking about the fgc at all I think it's better for both sides.

If someone spent the past few years doing nothing but trashing you online to anyone who would listen, would you ever want to give them the time of day in real life? Yeah, sorry, it's not going to happen. I think I spotted him once at our party, and then proceeded to move on with my life. I've tried being civil with him in the past and discovered that it's not worth it. That he even bothered to tweet about some bogus encounter that only exists in his head only validates that decision.

Also, that people in the "FGC" still believe that I've ever gone to the media to bring to light any of the issues that exist within it is proof enough that it's a scene still not mature enough to accept the responsibility of its actions. Why would any Twitch employees actively try and damage the reputation of the site by trying to highlight some of its more embarrassing content? By this logic, we're the ones who told the media about that kid who forgot to turn off his cam for some "private time."

You guys talk about growth, and you talk about wanting to get a bigger spotlight and more cash, well, media attention is something that comes along with that.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, go cry some more about how Bayonetta should look even more "fine" on next-gen and think about the double standard.

kick51

Banned
Some people are just gonna be stuck on early 2012 FGC. No shit we have some bad eggs. Nobody who matters would deny it. But strides have been made too and those are getting ignored. What a pain in the ass.

kirblar

Bullshit.

The reason the "FGC" doesn't get the attention other games is simple: the economics don't work right. MadCatz is bankrolling a LOT of the FGC stuff because they're one of the only companies that actually benefits from these events being run. Capcom and other publishers don't make money off tournaments (directly) - they're essentially a form of marketing for their games.

Look at what SCG's done with M:TG- they make money off of the events they run, which allows them to subsidize more events, more content, and keep the game growing.

If there's money to be made, people will put up with anything - look at Michael Vick, that guy from the Ravens, Roman Polanski, Chris Brown, and Mark Sanford. Money talks, and fighting game tournaments currently don't have a way for people to make money off of them besides selling them accessories. Every "E-Sport" has issues w/ player harassment. Why? Because lots of people are jerks.

The FGC isn't special. You just think it is.

Horseress

Wow I wish I could get these kind of answers in real life instead of you posting on a forum to do it. Im not delusional by the way, you did the same thing at pax (I was at the twitch booth, you basically ran me over before I gave my injustice presentation, didn't look back at all either. Basically almost knocked me in my feet. I'm also not the first person that you've outright ignored from the fgc. Are we all just crazy or making up stories?

Aside from all that the main beef I'm obviously blowing you up about your comment on ki which was uncalled for and super unprofessional. I hate the fact that you throw a entire community under the bus and your twitter friends rt you basically keeping your silly bias going. It's funny that you say that too because I've blown up fishstix for similar things, but at the end of the day he's still cordial, still wants us to stream on twitch...basically he's doing your community manager job better than you are

Just stick to not talking about the fgc at all I think it's better for both sides.

The sad part is that he was part of the FGC. Then he gets a job at Twitch and magically starts talking shit about the FGC all over the place

alstein

Some people are just gonna be stuck on early 2012 FGC. No shit we have some bad eggs. Nobody who matters would deny it. But strides have been made too and those are getting ignored. What a pain in the ass.

I agree with you there, some progress has been made. Doesn't mean that it's where it needs to be.

Dahbomb

There was just a DOTA 2 Russian team banned for one year (the main player banned for lifetime) for match fixing. Scumbags are in all types of gaming competitions.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What are you guys talking about all the other communities are like angels :D

OH WAIT what's the main reason people say they cant get into stuff like LoL or DotA? Cause the general community are pieces of shit.

How about FPS communities! Oh wait same shit.

The FGC is so freaking tame compared to other groups it's not even funny and guess what those other groups are all bigger.

i mean we've gotten to the point where a little healthy trash talking between two players somehow got turned into rape innuendo.

There's problems for sure, but maybe the wrong people with the wrong intentions are making a spectacle of it.

kirblar

What are you guys talking about all the other communities are like angels :D

OH WAIT what's the main reason people say they cant get into stuff like LoL or DotA? Cause the general community are pieces of shit.

How about FPS communities! Oh wait same shit.

FGC is so freaking tame it's not even funny.
FGC actually has these people competing face to face outside of sanitized corporate environments, so it attracts attention, because people can put faces to the stories.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
i mean we've gotten to the point where a little healthy trash talking between two players somehow got turned into rape innuendo.

There's problems for sure, but maybe the wrong people with the wrong intentions are making a spectacle of it.
this times 1000 also the people that make a spectacle of it are in positions of power so of course I will call out them (jared) on it

Where's the articles about the evo/nyu scholarship/collaboration? Yeah..

Also the guy who called bullshit above had it right on the money. Esports model doesn't mix with fgs yet when it comes to outright monetization

kick51

Banned
I agree with you there, some progress has been made. Doesn't mean that it's where it needs to be.

Where it needs to be is not realistically where it will ever get to. Every community has to deal with bullshit because it starts at an individual level. Nobody becomes this way as a result of the fgc, they brought it in. At some point, you have to acknowledge personal agency vs acting like the fgc can solve racism/sexism. Esports does this via contracts that forbid this kind of talk (I think?) Other sports do it the same way. Fgc has no way of doing this.

This is why the whole "cleaning up" thing is bullshit. There's no actual way to satisfy this goal. You can only take steps and I think the fgc has done a good job of that over the past year. But there will always be people who dirty it up, so its a little unreasonable to harp on it. Everyone who is visible and who matter are pretty mindful of how to present themselves.

Obs not withstanding

Ustream vs Twitch is one of the few things the xb1 has ps4 beat sad to say

yup, i'm kinda sad Sony missed that boat. Tthey just voted with their wallets instead of good intel.

But whatever, maybe Ustream will step their game up with added traffic.

unfortunately, i don't think they can replace the ever present Kappa face. That alone makes twitch winner by default

FUCK KOTAKU/PENNY-ARCADE

rexor0717

God's Beard!";63843781][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBGffJfBkd0&feature=youtu.be&t=9m42s said:
I've never really watched competitive smash other than wombo combos, but Metaknight is actually kinda cool to watch. Way more interesting than melee vids of people bouncing around.[/URL]

Damn, that was pretty hype at the end there.

Grecco

Probably, but who knows how much this affects Twitch's stability as a whole. It's pretty crappy now, this will just make it worse.

As some one who has always wanted to stream but never has i cant wait Ill be streaming on both day 1. Especially fighting games

I'm an outsider to the NA FGC as a European, but the scenes are quite similar, so:

Anyone who thinks the FGC is toxic or hateful when thousands upon thousands of dollars were poured into breast cancer research this year via the Evo fund, projects like Divekick and Skullgirls exist and grow, and almost every single avenue of competition is run as non-profit enterprises is incorrect. Other scenes are run entirely online, encourage alpha male and trollish behaviour because of internet anonymity and don't have an iota of the charisma or honesty of the FGC.

The scene lacks two things - capital and earning potential. All it will take to solve either is a next generation Street Fighter.

I'm an outsider to the NA FGC as a European, but the scenes are quite similar, so:

Anyone who thinks the FGC is toxic or hateful when thousands upon thousands of dollars were poured into breast cancer research this year via the Evo fund, projects like Divekick and Skullgirls exist and grow, and almost every single avenue of competition is run as non-profit enterprises is incorrect. Other scenes are run entirely online, encourage alpha male and trollish behaviour because of internet anonymity and don't have an iota of the charisma or honesty of the FGC.

The scene lacks two things - capital and earning potential. All it will take to solve either is a next generation Street Fighter.
I disagree. It will take Capcom becoming involved as a partner for providing continual support for games and promoting competition.

Rotanibor

http://www.twitch.tv/arcadelegacy is LIVE.

Darkstalkers Death & Rebirth, the Darkstalkers major in Cincinnati, Ohio. This is a two day major, today being the first day so keep that in mind!

Right now they are playing Super Turbo for ST Games qualifiers at EVO2013.

Vampire Savior is set to start whenever ST ends, which I believe is soon.

This tournament includes some of the most dedicated Vampire Savior players in the nation so its well worth checking out.

you can find the schedule on this SRK post here.
http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/15/darkstalkers-death-rebirth-streaming-live-from-cincinnati-ohio/

Top Bottom