• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 13-19 | The World Ends Ryu

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What they're saying is Sako is a performer/entertainer and if you want to see him at your event you have to pay his fee. I seriously don't see what the issue here, you can't expect someone to take ~three days from their usual life and do what you want to see him do just because you're paying for the flight/hotel. Some people being ok with it doesn't mean everyone should!

I think the distinction here is that r/kappa is not hosting a tournament. They're offering to send Sako to an event at no cost to him out of good will.

So to try and turn such a good will gesture into a business transaction is pretty hilarious.

I can only imagine that Sako's "management team" responded this way out of a misunderstanding of who they were in contact with. It would make sense if you were in contact with the group running the event, but not with a bunch of fans who think they're doing you a favor.

$500 minimum just for dealing with jet lag.

also my favorite current novela is a Spanish version of a Turkish soap opera about Suleiman the Magnificent, so i learned about Turkey a lil while ago!

Sayad

It's perfectly fine to decline the appearance. I don't think you should expect a positive reaction from people when you come back and say nah pay me more money though.
He's not saying give me more money though, he's saying I'm not doing it for free, getting upset over people refusing to do what you want them to for free is kinda immature.

If he is an entertainer than he should be entirely aware of what kind of image is being projected to the public since keeping up appearances is part of the job.
What kind of image? That this entertainer is not working for free?! I think he'd be fine with that.

I thought rkappa was just being nice and Sako was thinking of going maybe, but didn't have the funds, so they would pay.

Not Sako wasn't going to go in the first place, and going there is like a celebrity appearance that these guys want.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
He's not saying give me more money though, he's saying I'm not doing it for free, getting upset over people refusing to do what you want them to for free is kinda immature.

What kind of image? That this entertainer is not working for free?! I think he'd be fine with that.

Why are you saying "work"? They aren't trying to hire him. Just saying that if he wants to go we'll help cover your expenses.

Not the kind of offer you try and negotiate a salary out of.

USD

lol, sorry, I would have posted TOPANGA LEAGUE results like I normally do, but I got logged out of NeoGAF, couldn't remember my password, email service being dumb so I couldn't change passwords, and it took about 1.5 days for me to finally remember what it was, lol.

One big surprise for me was Tokido not making top 4. He was 9-2, looking great, but then lost his final four matches. He can still make A League, but he's gonna have to fight for it, again.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Speaking of Siba, I'm really sad he was removed from Virtua Fighter. The arcade cabinet I used to play at had him playable so I was surprised not to see him in future games.
I don't think Siba was ever playable in VF1 beyond early internal builds. Some cabinets had his portrait mistakenly applied in Akira's place, but I'm pretty sure his only playable appearance was in Fighters Megamix.

Sayad

Why are you saying "work"? They aren't trying to hire him. Just saying that if he wants to go we'll help cover your expenses.

Not the kind of offer you try and negotiate a salary out of.
Why! If it requires a big time investment on his part, why shouldn't he ask for money?

You're mistaking what they're doing for charity. When Dominion says he want to go to EVO but doesn't have the money and ask for donation, that's charity. Inviting people to come to an event they otherwise had no plans to come to, while only paying for their ticket/hotel is paying for your own entertainment, you're paying to see them play, not to help them. You can't be an ass about it when they refuse to do it for free.

NEO0MJ

I don't think Siba was ever playable in VF1 beyond early internal builds. Some cabinets had his portrait mistakenly applied in Akira's place, but I'm pretty sure his only playable appearance was in Fighters Megamix.

I'm so sure I played him, though. Maybe my young mind was confused X_X

It's weird that you dislike Marth. He's exactly the kind of dry and dull character you usually adore.

I'm dry and dull and I don't like Marth :(

If I were to play a sword user in this game it'd probably be Lucina, but I already have enough characters I want to have as mains or secondaries as it is.

Fiktion

Banned
Why! If it requires a big time investment on his part, why shouldn't he ask for money?

You're mistaking what they're doing for charity. When Dominion says he want to go to EVO but doesn't have the money and ask for donation, that's charity. Inviting people to come to an event they otherwise had no plans to come to, while only paying for their ticket/hotel is paying for your own entertainment, you're paying to see them play, not to help them. You can't be an ass about it when they refuse to do it for free.
You're right in that he's not obligated to accept the offer at all, and I doubt anyone would take offense if he simply declined. Trying to haggle for more cash from the very fans on whom you depend, however, isn't a great look. You're dealing with the grassroots, not an entity with a budget.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Fair enough I guess

Unlucky

Thunderstruck Ultra SFIV Top 8

Winners
EG|Ricky Ortiz vs CKD|DS Babushas
Diva|Marin vs TLC|Gama

Losers
HB vs DS|Khannibal
TLC|Chris vs DS|Excelancer

Unlucky

Capcom Cup points after this weekend's events

Bonchan 856
Justin Wong 678
Xian 624
Ricky Ortiz 570
ChuChu 502
Gamerbee 442
--------------------------
KBrad 416
Smug 370
Fuudo 360
NuckleDu 338
Daigo 276

Edit for Ricky's Thunderstruck win points. The October online tournaments points are not added in since I don't have the official results.

Rainy

Banned
How many more events are there for Capcom Cup qualifiers?

CPTA Finals
Dreamhack Winter

That might be it, according to the schedule.

Edit: Ricky just won Thunderstruck 3-0 in GF. Rufus mirror, there were a few perfects in there too. I think she is a lock for the Capcom Cup now. Congrats to her.

Unlucky

How many more events are there for Capcom Cup qualifiers?
These are the only ways left to get to Capcom Cup:

Asia Finals Oct 25-26
There are eight entrants only in Asia finals: Daigo, Xian, Gamerbee, Humanbomb, Poongko, Leslie, Gackt, Jiewa
1st place = 256 pts + auto-qualify
2nd place = 128 pts
3rd place = 64 pts
4th place = 32 points
5th place = 16 points
7th place = 8 points
9th place = 4 points
13th place = 2 points

Online October: four tournaments (America PS3 & Xbox, Europe PS3 & Xbox)
1st place = 64 pts
2nd place = 32 points
3rd place = 16 points
4th place = 8 points
5th place = 4 points
7th place = 2 points
9th & 13th place = 1 point

Dreamhack Sweden Nov 27-30
1st place = auto-qualify
No points given out

These are the only ways left to get to Capcom Cup:

Asia Finals Oct 25-26
There are eight entrants only in Asia finals: Daigo, Xian, Gamerbee, Humanbomb, Poongko, Leslie, Gackt, Jiewa
1st place = 256 pts + auto-qualify
2nd place = 128 pts
3rd place = 64 pts
4th place = 32 points
5th place = 16 points
7th place = 8 points
9th place = 4 points
13th place = 2 points

Online October: four tournaments (America PS3 & Xbox, Europe PS3 & Xbox)
1st place = 64 pts
2nd place = 32 points
3rd place = 16 points
4th place = 8 points
5th place = 4 points
7th place = 2 points
9th & 13th place = 1 point

Dreamhack Sweden Nov 27-30
1st place = auto-qualify
No points given out

huh couldn't guys in US/Europe attempt to sweep the online tournaments?

Unlucky

huh couldn't guys in US/Europe attempt to sweep the online tournaments?
I think the October Online tournaments completed yesterday (Oct 18) but I don't know the results. NuckleDu and ChuChu have been entering them so it is likely one or both of them won or got points.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hm, I actually forgot about online qualifiers. Pretty neat that it's 4 and for at least two regions.
So that air dodge cancel tech in Smash 4...wow. That takes Bowser to the next level by itself.

Man, with up B and Bowser's custom move (side B?), that's rather scary.

I was already at a loss on how to deal with those already.

So this Honda player I was playing earlier who was using turbo to do the ex hands combos online is using top players having extra buttons as an excuse.

He's telling me all top players are cheaters and get there sticks modded to have the links easier and they pretty much get no credit. He says Chris G doesn't plink because I don't know what's inside his stick
ayyy lmao
, this dude can't be serious.

I should show y'all a replay of this dude's inputs when he did exHHS~exHHS~HHS~ etc

smh

alstein

So this Honda player I was playing earlier who was using turbo to do the ex hands combos online is using top players having extra buttons as an excuse.

He's telling me all top players are cheaters and get there sticks modded to have the links easier and they pretty much get no credit. He says Chris G doesn't plink because I don't know what's inside his stick
ayyy lmao
, this dude can't be serious.

I should show y'all a replay of this dude's inputs when he did exHHS~exHHS~HHS~ etc

smh

I've seen a local do that a time or two in tourney.

Top Bottom