• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 13-19 | The World Ends Ryu

pixelish

apparently, r/kappa wanted to send sako to dreamhack winter but his management said they would have to pay $1000 for appearance fee.

JeTmAn81

No clue! I did it via over 500 online battles so far. :)

Have you already gotten the 50 hours online challenge?

I never understood the hype for Destiny. I'm just not interested in FPS anymore and the game world seems super generic. Also, not enough court cases (I've been playing beaucoup Ace Attorney games on my phone lately, lol).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Easiest way to farm this is 300% battle, right?
You have to do it in Smash mode, but yeah, you can change settings to make knockback easier and pretty much any punch/hit from characters will do it.

Doesn't take very long, you can get almost 300 KOs in like 20 mins.

Astarte

apparently, r/kappa wanted to send sako to dreamhack winter but his management said they would have to pay $1000 for appearance fee.

Holy shit why?

You have to do it in Smash mode, but yeah, you can change settings to make knockback easier and pretty much any punch/hit from characters will do it.

Doesn't take very long, you can get almost 300 KOs in like 20 mins.

4 person 100 lives level 1 cpu high knockback ezpz

Nyoro SF

Sounds like a reason why Daigo isn't showing up to international tourneys as well. Managers probably asking for a fat amount of cash.

Have you already gotten the 50 hours online challenge?

I never understood the hype for Destiny. I'm just not interested in FPS anymore and the game world seems super generic. Also, not enough court cases (I've been playing beaucoup Ace Attorney games on my phone lately, lol).
I think I'm at 43 hours online right now. I had a wonderful 20 game win streak today that I only kept going because I was shooting for the 1000 KO challenge. This poor guy just did not know what to do against the might of Bowser. :-D

Also, I can't ever beat other Bowser players. :-(

Kimosabae

Banned
I never understood the hype for Destiny. I typically refrain from commentating on games that I feel get more attention than I feel they deserve, but considering the backlash, I feel justified.

Game just never looked or felt fun to play or interesting. I don't even think the graphics look very good, honestly. They just look serviceable to me. I see people playing the game ever so often at all local LAN center and I'm often slow to realize they're playing a PS4 and X1 game. Maybe it's the calibration on the TVs.

As for the wonky physics in the new Smash: playing Melee and Guilty Gear (and a little bit of KoF13) a lot recently is probably going to make it next to impossible for me to appreciate the new Smash on its own merits. No energy transfer from jumps is just one of the dumbest design decisions ever for me. I couldn't imagine playing Guilty Gear, for example, without it. It doesn't just effect the feel of the game negatively, but the mind game potential. It's just another way Sakurai insists on taking control away from the player.

I'm predicting that the ground game is going to have to develop into something crazy for Smash WiiU to hold my attention for more than a few weeks. I can do without Nintendo in my life at this point. I'll have Xrd :)

Azure J

Swag doesn't win games. It just makes you look like a tryhard.

There are times where I truly wonder about how dry you are Beef. :p

@Kimo: Ground game shows potential both from the stuff discovered a few weeks ago involving pivots and shields cancelling running animations. I've finally got a means to emulate most of my old ground options from a dash thanks to thinking more about things that existed from Brawl in combination with using shields.

That match vs Valmaster reminded me that it's a shame nobody's got around to uploading the sets Justin had after the tournament. He played Pro Fluke (3-0, Rufus vs Fuerte), MBR (Justin won, might have been 3-1?, Rufus vs Akuma) and Andreas (2-3, Rufus vs Rufus, insane match).

Pro Fluke really had Justin sweating and I don't think the score speaks fairly. The Andreas match was nuts - Andreas is really on top form now and I think he's going to be a serious threat at DHW if he goes.

In other EU FGC news, this just got thrown up by Esmond Fong, head of MBA:

There's not much (if any) open racism in the UK scene, but I can definitely see some people saying dumb salty garbage and I think this kind of concerted say-no-to-racism stuff is really important.

So when was this meeting. Who does this involve? The Dragons? WGF? Armshouse? HoG? SVB? Versus Scotland?

Also, when did any racism happen? The UK (well Europe in general) has a very different atmosphere and attitude than in America. That being said I'm not against this either. If it happens, it should be dealt with but I personally haven't seen this. Did something happen recently?

somehow i feel that it's a small amount and makes it even more baffling.

you if you join a knitting group, and you have to pay $45 appearance fee for someone who knows how to knit really well just to sew in a small patch in a community quilt.

Sounds like a reason why Daigo isn't showing up to international tourneys as well. Managers probably asking for a fat amount of cash.

explains why he only shows up at middle eastern tournaments. dat hakan oil money.

Kimosabae

Banned
There are times where I truly wonder about how dry you are Beef. :p

@Kimo: Ground game shows potential both from the stuff discovered a few weeks ago involving pivots and shields cancelling running animations. I've finally got a means to emulate most of my old ground options from a dash thanks to thinking more about things that existed from Brawl in combination with using shields.

Yeah, I saw it. I'll be looking for that vid again once the WiiU version drops.

Thing is, being able to approach with high energy low jumps is kind of a staple of the ground game/footsie aspect in a fighter like this.

CPS2

$1000 seems pretty reasonable. Wouldn't be easy to just stop whatever you're doing and fly to another country to play video games. It wouldn't be worth it at all if they just cover your expenses, you'd be losing income at the same time. Sako's a grown ass man.

$1000 seems pretty reasonable. Wouldn't be easy to just stop whatever you're doing and fly to another country to play video games. It wouldn't be worth it at all if they just cover your expenses, you'd be losing income at the same time. Sako's a grown ass man.
So? The opportunity cost is there for everyone who is attending the tournament, everyone else could also be do something else with their time instead of showing up. Everyone has to make the call between the value of attending, their chances at winning and what it will cost them.

Edit: Either way this entirely unrelated to management demanding an appearance fee. Which is saying that to them its more valuable for Sako to not show up unless they get at least a grand out of it.

Azure J

Yeah, I saw it. I'll be looking for that vid again once the WiiU version drops.

Thing is, being able to approach with high energy low jumps is kind of a staple of the ground game/footsie aspect in a fighter like this.

Oh I know, trust me. This series has been my game since day 1 1999. I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with how the newer mechanics jive with past experience, but I'm willing to approach the game as its own thing for now.

It's weird that you dislike Marth. He's exactly the kind of dry and dull character you usually adore.

-_-

You wonder this even after knowing my playstyle in Marvel? :p

Haha, good point. FWIW, style usually leads to bad times but fuck if sometimes you don't just want to have a little fun and say "this isn't even my final form." With money/prizes on the line though. you gotta keep it basic and stable.

Kimosabae

Banned
So? The opportunity cost is there for everyone who is attending the tournament, everyone else could also be do something else with their time instead of showing up. Everyone has to make the call between the value of attending, their chances at winning and what it will cost them.

This is kind of a bitter post. Those other players don't have the accountability of sponsorship and likely don't face the decision of incurring those OCs nearly as often as a player like Sako does.

It isn't easy for anybody. They would be paying for his hotel and flight already I assume, then asking for $1000 on top? Maybe dreamhack makes more money, buy it sounds like a lot to me for a normal tournament. Will he bring in more than $1000 in profit from him being there?

It's weird that you dislike Marth. He's exactly the kind of dry and dull character you usually adore.
Fun fact about Lucario mains: they usually gravitate towards Marth or ROB as secondaries. I can't stand either of them though, which is why I use DK, Ike, and Charizard as my skill-testers.
:D
Haha, good point. FWIW, style usually leads to bad times but fuck if sometimes you don't just want to have a little fun and say "this isn't even my final form." With money/prizes on the line though. you gotta keep it basic and stable.
The only time I ever styled on someone was in Double Dash. And I only did it because we were racing in the co-op 16-track cup and I was so far ahead that it was statistically impossible for me to come in 2nd overall at that point.

NEO0MJ

explains why he only shows up at middle eastern tournaments. dat hakan oil money.

Hakan is Turkish, and while they're in the middle east they don't consider themselves Arab so this is not really an apt comparison. Shiek Maherl from Breakers or Siba from Virtua Fighter would make more sense.

This is kind of a bitter post. Those other players don't have the accountability of sponsorship and likely don't face the decision of incurring those OCs nearly as often as a player like Sako does.

What? How is it bitter? I am just saying everyone has considerations. If they really wanted a payment for appearance they should have contacted the venue and tournament organizes since those are the people who will benefit the cost from the appearance. I guess the donation drive can work something out with the Tournament.

How can rkappa afford Pepeday and not Sako?

Pepedai didn't go hollywood yet.

Rhapsody

Banned
Mak actually got buffed on that. Ugh I want to play CP2 more than XRD honestly. Too hype for new mak

I just wish throws weren't 3-4k strong. Doesn't help that I'm bad at teching online. :(

I'm mixed on which one I'm looking forward to. Xrd doesn't look too bad and does look fresh (in a way lol). BBCP has a lot to offer since it's refining things even further. Unfortunately I don't like Rachel and Ky in the current versions, so I'm kinda looking more into subs right now.

Sayad

Edit: Either way this entirely unrelated to management demanding an appearance fee. Which is saying that to them its more valuable for Sako to not show up unless they get at least a grand out of it.
What they're saying is Sako is a performer/entertainer and if you want to see him at your event you have to pay his fee. I seriously don't see what the issue here, you can't expect someone to take ~three days from their usual life and do what you want to see him do just because you're paying for the flight/hotel. Some people being ok with it doesn't mean everyone should!

What they're saying is Sako is a performer/entertainer and if you want to see him at your event you have to pay his fee. I seriously don't see what the issue here, you can't expect someone to take ~three days from their usual life and do what you want to see him do just because you're paying for the flight/hotel. Some people being ok with it doesn't mean everyone should!

It's perfectly fine to decline the appearance. I don't think you should expect a positive reaction from people when you come back and say nah pay me more money though. If he is an entertainer than he should be entirely aware of what kind of image is being projected to the public since keeping up appearances is part of the job.

Top Bottom