• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend:Milan Games Week Smash the Record Defend the North & More

pixelish

friendly reminder that a grassroot costa rican tournament has better stream quality than a tournament held in an italian gaming expo.

peter0611

Thank god in SFV command throws don't have that ridiculous of a range anymore.

Their startup is slower too. Ultradavid said that SFV Gief can be rushed down instead of being the stupid wall that punishes basically anyone who tries to pressure with a 2 frame grab. That's a good thing in my book.

I think Itabashi has secured his spot in Capcom Cup now. Doesn't matter whether he wins this tournament or not. Even with a 2nd place finish, a total of 216 points should be more than enough to get in at this point. PR Rog has to finish at least top 2 though. A 3rd place finish still keeps him on the outside looking in.

EDIT: Rog and Strider fighting for the right to defend the whole continent from the Japanese invader.

crash-14

I think Itabashi has secured his spot in Capcom Cup now. Doesn't matter whether he wins this tournament or not. Even with a 2nd place finish, a total of 216 points should be more than enough to get in at this point. PR Rog has to finish at least top 2 though. A 3rd place finish still keeps him on the outside looking in.

EDIT: Rog and Strider fighting for the right to defend the whole continent from the Japanese invader.

I think everyone on top of Gackt it's safe. With all the competition at Canada Cup I wouldn't expect more than 1 player cracking the bar.
The points leap between Gackt and Valmaster it's over 16 points. So any player whiling to make into capcom cup has to crack at least a top 4 at Canada Cup depending their situation. Add 18 (diference between Gackt and Problem X) and that makes it 38 (Top 3). Those situations most likely will give him the premier spot.

Will see. PR Rog really neads to take this.

fucking
tumblr_inline_ntacfsh9i41sbfyb2_500.gif

crash-14

PR Rog also has failed this weekend. He needs a top 8 at Canada Cup or try luck at Singapur and Dreamhack.

Man this weekend could have been crazy, and pretty much every thing has remained the same, despite the fact that RB took the premier spot. But no new addition to the ranking cut.

In my opinion people that should be more upset with themselves should be Gonzalez (He was 1 round away to make it into winners finals at Milan), Ryan Hart (Destroyed in the match that gave the spot), Smug (He could have take it all and be at capcom cup) and PR Rog (Imo the biggest one cuz he just had 2 opponents).

peter0611

I doubt it was ever a career for Smug, plus he started rising up pretty late (I heard about him in 2013). So not much of a loss. The best contribution he made was getting people to call Dudley cheap. Oh, and the deliciously salty matches with Sanford at NLBC. :3

Tripon

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/3q8jj9/updated_capcom_pro_tour_standings_through_october/

Acekingoffsuit updated his CPT rankings.

How many CPT tournaments are left besides Canada Cup?

Canada Cup
CPTAsia Finals
Dreamhack

That's it, all premiers, but only Canada Cup gives points.

4 more. Saying competition at Canada Cup will be fierce is putting it mildly.

http://capcomprotour.com/schedule/

Last Chance qualifiers is a prelim tourney for the last spot of CPTAsia Finals, and doesn't give any CPT points. IMO, it shouldn't count as an 'official' CPT tournament.

crash-14

1.MD|Luffy 724
2.RB|Snake Eyez 424
3.Qanba Douyu|Xiao Hai 360
4./r/Kappa|Poongko 308
5.EG|Justin Wong 306
6.MF|Tonpy 280
6.RZR|Itabashi Zangief (Itazan) 280
8.Liquid|NuckleDu 268
9.WFX|801 Strider 238
10.YOMI|Dieminion 236
11.Dark Jiewa 207
12.CCG|HumanBomb 203
13.YBK|Shiro (Shirou) 180
14.KIG|Problem X 178
15.RZR|Gackt 160
-------
16.Valmaster 148
17.Misse 140
17.Qanba Douyu|Dakou 140
19.EG|PR Balrog 132
20.Brawl|Haitani 131
21.FA|Ryan Hart (Prodigal Son) 126
22.Gonzalez 112
23.EG|Ricki Ortiz 98
24.EG|K-Brad 96

btw. If the winner of CPTA isn't MOV and/or the winner of dreamhack has less than 71, Momochi will face RB at first round.

I understand your sentiment regarding a fighting game devolving into RPS at the character select screen but what?
Counterpicking means intentionally selecting a character that counters your opponent. It isn't the same as having a secondary to help with bad matchups. For example, in Smash I main Mewtwo, Bowser is my secondary, and Jigglypuff is my tertiary. The thing is, all three of my characters are considered low to bottom tier. If I face Sheik, I might pick Jigglypuff, but it isn't a counterpick. Sheik is just so awful for Mewtwo and Bowser that the 45-55 matchup Jigglypuff gets is still preferable.

If I were counterpicking, I would use ZSS or some other character that has a good matchup against Sheik.

Or a Marvel example: I like my Dorm/Morrigan/Phoenix team, but if my opponent is playing Morrigan, I won't use it. Not because I want to counterpick, but just because I don't want to deal with Soul Drain crap as Phoenix.

Basically, the difference is between picking what your opponent is weak to (counterpick), and having another option to make sure you can't get screwed over by a hard counterpick (secondary).

Tripon

Counterpicking means intentionally selecting a character that counters your opponent. It isn't the same as having a secondary to help with bad matchups. For example, in Smash I main Mewtwo, Bowser is my secondary, and Jigglypuff is my tertiary. The thing is, all three of my characters are considered low to bottom tier. If I face Sheik, I might pick Jigglypuff, but it isn't a counterpick. Sheik is just so awful for Mewtwo and Bowser that the 45-55 matchup Jigglypuff gets is still preferable.

If I were counterpicking, I would use ZSS or some other character that has a good matchup against Sheik.

Or a Marvel example: I like my Dorm/Morrigan/Phoenix team, but if my opponent is playing Morrigan, I won't use it. Not because I want to counterpick, but just because I don't want to deal with Soul Drain crap as Phoenix.

Basically, the difference is between picking what your opponent is weak to (counterpick), and having another option to make sure you can't get screwed over by a hard counterpick (secondary).

Just because you're making a bad choice in your counterpicking does not mean you can not call it counterpicking.

I-hate-u

The cutoff for CPT points this year seem to be 160 points.

Edit: Also, Infiltration will not go to CPTAsia Finals due to Sony asking him to play SFV at their Korean Trade show conference.

SG Fighter, the TO of CPTAsia Finals is trying to get Poongko to take Infiltration place.

https://twitter.com/sgfighter/status/656663181511659520

Great to hear. Give more opportunities to players who haven't qualified yet. even tho the guy is guaranteed to be in anyway.

Top Bottom