• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Film Crit Hulk: STAR WARS: THE FORCE ALLUDED TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
There probably should have been B-Wings in that bombing run on Starkiller at the end.
Hell no, B-Wings are slow as balls and they had to fly at high speed through a trench with shittons of turbo lasers.

If you need proof, just look at what happened to the Y-Wings in the Battle of Yavin.

Jarmel

Banned
Again, there is zero indication in the movie Finn has a bond with random Stormtrooper.

After the battle he doesn't mention random Stormtrooper. You know what he does mention? That the First Order does terrible things (like massacring unarmed civilians) and that he wants to get the fuck away.

The whole idea of the scene is Finn thinking "Oh shit it coulda been me", not "Oh no, not my friend Bobby!"

That's your reading of the scene. One that a large number of other people interpreted differently and the canon books back up our interpretation.

You're also proving my point.

MutFox

Banned
Hell no, B-Wings are slow as balls and they had to fly at high speed through a trench with shittons of turbo lasers.

If you need proof, just look at what happened to the Y-Wings in the Battle of Yavin.

If they needed speed, they would have thrown some A-Wings in there.
B-Wings could have been used in case they couldn't blow it up from the inside.
They have a WAY bigger payload, they'd bring a few of them.

Or what about, they bring in a new ship?
Due to how much time passed since RotJ.

Also only having TIE Fighters?
No Interceptors or Bombers...
no new TIE types? (Maybe borrow from the Advanced or Defender)

RotJ still has the best dogfight I've ever seen on film.
I really want to see it surpassed.

That's your reading of the scene. One that a large number of other people interpreted differently and the canon books back up our interpretation.

It's up to the movie to convey the point adequately to most of the audience without relying on supplemental books after the fact. Given some of the knock down drag out fights TFA threads generate, there is "a large number of people" that disagree with your interpretation.

TFA is a fun movie, the actors are top notch, but the script was rushed and JJ is JJ. The major character moments are still great, but the connective tissue to those moments are often vague or garbled, and it obviously doesn't pass the sniff test to a decent percentage of the audience, they don't hate the movie, but it felt off.

JackDT

And as much as Hulk loves him, Hulk has no idea why finn is behaving the way he does in this movie. In an earlier scene he plays the pathos of being a slave whose never been allowed to be a person before. a few scenes later, he's smoothly-yet-goofily asking if someone's got a boyfriend. Again, it's a funny moment, but it's not "coming from anywhere" we understand (other than us liking daisy ridley, too). This is exactly what Hulk means by "effect first" thinking. We're never mining the depths of finn's characterization for anything more than a momentary effect, and it's an effect that will likely be bulldozed just a moment later (usually when bad guys show up with guns). Case in point, finn's big "moment of doubt" and reluctance where he thinks about running doesn't hold all that much dramatic meaning to us because we've already seen him alternating between moments of buying in / running away many times already, nor does it play against any kind of drama. It comes off just feeling haphazard: "the character needs to doubt himself for the illusion of conflict"; a needless bit of drama before the movie just pushes us somewhere else all willy-nilly. Again, there's no consequences to that pause because it just becomes side-swiped with an attack a moment later. Like everything in this film, it's a decision that just geographically puts people in different places for a hot minute for the only purpose of playing the "tension" of them being alone for the next random attack.

Ultimately, who is finn? The truth is Hulk has no idea. Hulk can't pin his psyche down. If we were to take that famous test from red letter media's EPISODE 1 review and "describe this character" Hulk would not be able to sum him up coherently like we can do with the original cast. With finn, Hulk just knows Hulk "liked" all the things he did, but that's not even close to coherent characterization. It's just a in-the-moment pleasing one.

My first impression of Finn was being confused at how he just turned into a normal hero -- charming joke-cracking dude -- when he supposedly raised from birth to be a soldier and never even thought it was weird he didn't have a name.

But unlike the original movie, where you immediately get these little guys on the run from the great and powerful empire (brilliantly shown through scale of the two ships and ensuing battle), we get something much different here. Because every further articulation of plot from the title scroll onward just makes Hulk more confused about what's happening, not less. Everything in terms of information is just so guarded, half-hearted, or teased out in cryptic allusion. The movie is literally afraid to be clear for fear that doing so would be... Boring? And even the information which is presented doesn't make a lick of damn sense. These are simple questions: who is in power? Why does the first order seem just like the empire again and the resistance just like the rebels? What makes them different from the last iterations? What are they after besides fighting each other? What does the republic think of this? Why does it take 2/3 of the movie to even get a sense of the resistance? How does the world feel about the war? What's with this big laser planet and what exactly does the world think of it? (one friend immediately texted: "darth planet was dumb as fuck."

I enjoyed the movie more the second time because I was way too wrapped up in trying to figure out this context during the first watch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yep.

I was a little confused as to why the movie seemed to want me to cheer their deaths so soon after showing Finn to be some kind of sympathetic character.

The movie overall made little, with numerous plot contrivancs and a lot of stuff happening just because. These aren't exactly critics rare in an action movie, but some of the plot arcs mixed with characte arcs are particularly bad in this.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

We do we even need to ambigiously read the scene in the first place, the film could have definitively shown one way or the other but couldn't be bothered. Perhaps to be seen in a sequel in the future or some random side comic/book, perhaps not who knows

Tonedeff

The biggest thing I agree with Hulk on is the re-watch factor of JJ's films because I noticed it with Into Darkness. How, when I'm watching one of his films for the first time, I'll have a great fucking time, but every subsequent re-watch reveals more stupid that just compounds and compounds to the point where I can't even watch his films after a while; all I can see now are the flaws.

Which is funny, because his films aren't "bad" bad (in fact, I quite like the electricity his films have), and I know I have films that are objectively worse than any of JJ's output on constant repeat.

And I'll also just repost something I wrote about Finn from another thread:

When it comes to Finn, I'd have to say I'm more disappointed than anything else.

I mean he's a stormtrooper, who's gone through all the stormtrooper conditioning, and on his first day on the job, he's so horrified by the terrors of war that his programming essentially breaks down. That's how I understood his origin. But not long after this, he's blasting people left and right (in the escape scene), which made both myself and my brother go "Holy shit" while watching it. It was just jarring. I know he's trying to escape, but if his attachment to life is so strong that his first taste of death fucking de-Terminatorizes him, I don't see how he can justify killing anyone, even, and maybe especially, his fellow stormtroopers. He more than anyone else should understand what they're going through. Now maybe I have something backwards here, but honestly, a Finn with a No-Kill policy seems to fit better with his origin, was where I thought the film was going with his character initially, and would have certainly made him more interesting than what's actually here.

Because besides that, he just seemed to fall into the typical black-sidekick character archetype. Keep the funny coming, make the hero look good type shit. Luckily John Boyega's so charming that I did end up liking him more than not. He just had so much potential.

I edited it a little (that posts origin is cellular), but my feelings remain mostly the same.

And I'll also just repost something I wrote about Finn from another thread:

I edited it a little (that posts origin is cellular), but my feelings remain mostly the same.
I agree with all of that, but if TFA had a moment where he's grappling over killing them, if there was some actual conflict within him about killing his comrades, Finn would have a lot more depth to him. As it stands, Finn has no moment of hesitation when he starts blasting away at Stormtroopers when he's trying to escape. I understand that it's life and death, do or die, but just a small moment have gone a long way.

I felt there was nothing new or inspiring about this movie when I saw it in theaters. Nothing to fill someone with awe.

I remember the world being much more excited for Revenge of the Sith being released on home video. The Hulk is writing about why that is, and I appreciate someone helping me think that through. Sorry Star Wars.

I agree with him about one thing. I've never rewatched a JJ Abrahms movie nor have I the desire to. I watched the TFA, I didn't hate it, but it made me never want to watch any new Star Wars movie.

JackDT

The upside to Abrams is that he's great at casting and these characters will be around for awhile in the hands of other directors.

Even though George Lucas is considered Satan by obsessed fans, I can't help but desire his version of episode 7. Probably would have more imagination. 7 was neat but it has that Marvel coating where it's as deep as a well maintained children's pool.

Sounds exactly like what happened with the destruction of Alderaan in the first movie. Leia reacted for a second, and then nobody gave a shit. And we didn't exactly get to know the planet very well then either.

This critic is asking for high drama out of a Star Wars movie, which shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what Star Wars actually is.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.". ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

bengraven

I've seen FA several times and adore the film but I will agree that there was nothing that made me go "OH MY GOD" while watching it.

I probably did that, in a positive way, more times in each of the prequels. We were seeing new things in those films. I still find Return to be a lesser film in the series but there was more spectacle in that film.

Other than the great plays on character tropes, the settings, equipment, and scenarios were the exact same as what we saw previously, if not more DULL.

Good read, I've always had mixed feelings towards The Force Awakens and this article helped articulate some of the issues I had with the movie that I couldn't quite word. Most of the new cast were not satisfyingly characterized and nothing felt earned, it was just a fun movie to watch for people who like Star Wars and not much more. This is one of the tragedies of great films becoming too popular and then expanded upon after too long of a time.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I've been pretty clear that I absolutely did not like TFA. GAF questioned my sanity, but I question GAF's taste. The movie to me is basically one long movie cliche full of telegraphs and "witty" one liners that fell flat with me. Most of the performances were pretty hammy as well. The one bright spot for something that I didn't see coming was Han's confrontation with Kylo. Other than that, the movie (and soundtrack) were simply not great. James Cameron backed me up to a degree, but I'm glad people are being objective about it.

Skinpop

agreed with him on almost all points. thought the movie was awful at cinema, tried to do a rewatch but felt like puking after ten minutes and had to turn it off.

at this point anything star wars, especially the main theme makes me nauseous.

agreed with him on almost all points. thought the movie was awful at cinema, tried to do a rewatch but felt like puking after ten minutes and had to turn it off.

at this point anything star wars, especially the main theme makes me nauseous.

lmao this is a new level of exaggeration.

Toxi

Banned

I'm not sure why you're interpreting that scene in such a way when there's nothing in the scene to support it.

Finn would be inconsistent if he were grieving over random Stormtrooper in one scene and then blasting them away. But he's not grieving over a friend, he's just scared shitless and then horrified by an order to blast civilians. And as the movie goes on, he continues to be scared shitless and hating the First Order. That's hardly inconsistent.

If they needed speed, they would have thrown some A-Wings in there.

B-Wings could have been used in case they couldn't blow it up from the inside.
They have a WAY bigger payload, they'd bring a few of them.
A-Wings lack decent payloads. B-Wing's are slow as hell.

X-Wings are fast and carry Proton Torpedo payloads. Both Death Star assaults were spearheaded by X-Wings.

MisterHero

After reading the "leaked spoilers", I was really disappointed that Leia didn't command a fleet or have a superweapon. I hope she gets used more in the next movies.

Kinyou

I'm not sure why you're interpreting that scene in such a way when there's nothing in the scene to support it.
Him touching Finn's face didn't look like a random gesture to me. That's something dying people in movies usually do with someone they know

Skinpop

lmao this is a new level of exaggeration.

I'm not exaggerating, the main theme actually makes me nauseous after all this marketing and pandering to nostalgia. at e3 alone I must have heard it like ten times during various keynotes and announcements and every time I felt like punching my monitor.

TrueBlue

I'm not exaggerating, the main theme actually makes me nauseous after all this marketing and pandering to nostalgia. at e3 alone I must have heard it like ten times during various keynotes and announcements and every time I felt like punching my monitor.

Well, the main theme was never going to go away, was it?

I agree with Hulk that JJ rushing through the story squandered the opportunity of character building and establishing moments that could have been implemented throughout, especially in the actions with the Falcon chase and onboard Han's freighter. Taking a breather and to fill the audience in on what's going on with Republic, the Resistance, and the First Order would have helped too, even at the risk of losing the constant momentum JJ wants to push.
It seems for Hulk, the actors that were cast and their performances were the biggest strength of TFA.

Looking for to Rian's take on Episode 8. I think he's doing the story treatment for 9. Can't wait for this type of thread again when the Plinkett review comes out.

Toxi

Banned
Him touching Finn's face didn't look like a random gesture to me. That's something dying people in movies usually do with someone they know
Or, you know, he's flailing around because he just got shot and is dying.

Which makes more sense than some random Stormtrooper who is never mentioned again being Finn's secret boyfriend who he never shows an inkling of concern for.

I heard the main theme while driving earlier today, and it caused me to run over a jogger. Middle aged woman trying to get in better shape, very sad, and John Williams is primarily to blame.

Tonedeff

I agree with all of that, but if TFA had a moment where he's grappling over killing them, if there was some actual conflict within him about killing his comrades, Finn would have a lot more depth to him. As it stands, Finn has no moment of hesitation when he starts blasting away at Stormtroopers when he's trying to escape. I understand that it's life and death, do or die, but just a small moment have gone a long way.
This works too. But I took Finn even further down the path of pacificism because a major Star Wars character who outright refuses to kill would've been radical and something that's actually new. And JJ could've used him to introduce serious martial arts to the Star Wars universe (then again, JJ had the Raid guys and didn't really use them, which was also a disappointment. It's not like I'm like *Sees Asian man?*, "You must kung-fu for me!", but if you've got the principles from arguably the most influential martial arts romps in a while, I don't see why you wouldn't take full advantage). Finn would still have to be able to defend himself after all.

Instead, all the main heroes are killers or have no real hangups about killing. Which is fine, I guess. I'm not really a prude. After all, it certainly doesn't make TFA much different from every other popcorn flick. And I'll readily admit that I might be a little fanfictiony on this. But Finn's setup is perfect for such a character, and for a minute, that's exactly where I thought the film was going. And then it makes it plain as fucking day that that shit most definitely ain't happening. Hell, rewatching it now, it almost seems like the hanger scene was deliberately designed to do just that.

Or, you know, he's flailing around because he just got shot and is dying.

Which makes more sense than some random Stormtrooper who is never mentioned again being Finn's secret boyfriend who he never shows an inkling of concern for.

He wasn't flailing. He was reaching up to touch Finn's helmet.

This works too. But I took Finn even further down the path of pacificism because a major Star Wars character who outright refuses to kill would've been radical and something that's actually new. And JJ could've used him to introduce serious martial arts to the Star Wars universe (then again, JJ had the Raid guys and didn't really use them, which was also a disappointment. It's not like I'm like *Sees Asian man?*, "You must kung-fu for me!", but if you've got the principles from arguably the most influential martial arts romps in a while, I don't see why you wouldn't take full advantage). Finn would still have to be able to defend himself after all.

Instead, all the main heroes are killers or have no real hangups about killing. Which is fine, I guess. I'm not really a prude. After all, it certainly doesn't make TFA much different from every other popcorn flick. And I'll readily admit that I might be a little fanfictiony on this. But Finn's setup is perfect for such a character, and for a minute, that's exactly where I thought the film was going. And then it makes it plain as fucking day that that shit most definitely ain't happening. Hell, rewatching it now, it almost seems like the hanger scene was deliberately designed to do just that.

Oh I agree. They could have done so much with Finn that would have been better than what we got.

AxeMan

I saw the movie for the first time a month or so ok.
It's just a run of the mill movie. Nothing particularly good, nothing particularly bad.
Action was ok, other parts were not so ok.
I hated the Rey character, annoyed me no end every time she was on screen. Ford was very good though

Toxi

Banned
He wasn't flailing. He was reaching up to touch Finn's helmet.
Okay, please consider which is more likely.

• Random Stormtrooper who's on the edge of death just blindly reaching out and touching Finn's helmet
  • Random Stormtrooper who is never mentioned after his death being Finn's soulmate, which somehow is the main reason Finn betrayed the First Order even though Finn clearly doesn't give a shit about shooting Stormtroopers and shows far more concern for self-preservation

Again, common fucking sense.

But yeah, Rey just gets better at the Force for no particular reason. Unless they are setting her up to turn Dark side she hasnt yet had any internal struggle or failures to make me care. Meanwhile Finn facing down Kylo knowing he'd probably lose was great, because it capped his character arc.

Rey just 'getting' the super-powers alongside the lazer-planet were the most glaring things that annoyed me about this movie.

That and probably the Solo/Rey/Finn fight with the octopus/Harrison Ford's lack of caring.

Okay, please consider which is more likely.

• Random Stormtrooper who's on the edge of death just blindly reaching out and touching Finn's helmet
  • A random Stormtrooper who is never mentioned after his death being Finn's soulmate

I don't remember anyone saying that the Random Stormtrooper was Finn's soulmate. People say that the trooper is Finn's friend, but that's in the books, not the film. I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter.

As far as the film is concerned, it's a random trooper on the edge of death touching Finn's helmet
in a sensual way :p

MutFox

Banned
A-Wings lack decent payloads. B-Wing's are slow as hell.

X-Wings are fast and carry Proton Torpedo payloads. Both Death Star assaults were spearheaded by X-Wings.

It's a mixture of all the ships that made it work.
They did it in past films, but they couldn't in TFA.

You also skipped the TIE stuff.
Even skipped bringing in new ships...

Remember, TFA is like decades after RotJ.
They were afraid to evolve the universe.
It was pretty much a reboot of ANH.

Okay so I just watched the apparently very infamous on GAF Stormtrooper death.

They all look the same. I'm not sure that they knew each other personally. Could just be that he/she were dying, and reaching out to the only other person at the place/time of death. That's not an outlandish thought. I don't think it necessarily has to mean anything personal.

What I get out of it is that this is Finn's first mission like this (we know he was a janitor so it makes sense) and wasn't ready for it, and painted a picture for him first-hand of what the First Order and Kylo Ren are all about: being a bunch of murderous assholes. Someone died in front of him, it shocked him, the dying trooper reached up at him, but it doesn't confirm a prior relationship.

Basically? I don't think there's any kind of finite shit to go on going by that moment.

Toxi

Banned
I don't remember anyone saying that the Random Stormtrooper was Finn's soulmate. People say that the trooper is Finn's friend, but that's in the books, not the film. I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter.

As far as the film is concerned, it's a random trooper on the edge of death touching Finn's helmet
If he's Finn's friend, why is so much focus given to Finn actually finding friendship in the movie? He didn't even have a fucking name before he met Poe and his entire arc is about his friendship with Rey overcoming his selfish desire to run away.

I haven't read the books either, but Finn having friends before the movie feels like it's completely missing the point of Finn's character development in the movie.

It's a mixture of all the ships that made it work.
For the second Death Star run, yeah, though it was an X-Wing and the Falcon that delivered the final ordinance blow.

For the first? The Y-Wings did nothing.

I actually completely agree about the new ship designs being unsatisfying on their own, especially since I too love RotJ's final battle. It's just using X-Wings for the final assault makes complete sense when you consider where the X-Wing actually fits in the Rebel/Resistance fighter lineup.

B-Wings are slow and strong anti-capital ship weapons, though they are surprisingly agile at close-quarters thanks to the gyroscopic cockpit design. A-Wings are lethal dogfighters. X-Wings are jacks-of-all-trades.

P44

I have to respect and honor his opinion from a film theory and critic point of view. But this sounds like someone who is trying too hard to be a critic (in neither a negative or positive way---an actual critic). My question is: why is he concerned with having time to THINK if the last thing that happened was satisfying? Why not FEEL? If that makes any sense, or maybe I'm rambling.

This distinction is just semantics in my view.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

This is the exact thing that Hulk was describing in his piece, that a work that has been explained away in a different medium should not be a crutch as to explain why such a thing is what it is, and it's not even the first time that Abrams has done this. Remember when we all questioned as to why Khan was changed from Indian to a white dude in his second Star Trek (and yes, I'm well aware that he was previously played by a Hispanic fella during that questionable period in time)? Well, they told us why...in a comic, completely separate from the immediate movie. It's not something that the characters ever need to question, given that they only just met this guy, but for fans, it's both a pointless shortcut to try and fill in a story hole and an excuse for whitewashing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Based on how the Force is portrayed in TFA I wonder if anyone at Lucasfilm still remembers that it's an analogue for 1960s-era ideas about zen/God/tao etc. It was very much a metaphor for our own relationship with the universe.

They treat it just like its Harry Potter magic or superhero powers now. Sign of the times, I guess.

Toxi

Banned
This is the exact thing that Hulk was describing in his piece, that a work that has been explained away in a different medium should not be a crutch as to explain why such a thing is what it is, and it's not even the first time that Abrams has done this.
Except the scene makes complete sense to me and I haven't read a single Star Wars story with Finn.

It feels like people are going out of their way to make a very obvious character arc (Guy is scared shitless after coming close to death and the horrors of war, finds friends, overcomes fear for his friends) as complicated as possible.
Based on how the Force is portrayed in TFA I wonder if anyone at Lucasfilm still remembers that it's an analogue for 1960s-era ideas about zen/God/tao etc. It was very much a metaphor for our own relationship with the universe.

They treat it just like its Harry Potter magic or superhero powers now. Sign of the times, I guess.
Based on how it's portrayed in TFA? If anything the superhero powers aspect has been toned down massively since the prequels.

I'm not sure I'm with you there, I thought they very deliberately moved away from the flipping jedi into something more along the lines of what you're suggesting it should be. Like, don't you remember Rey quite literally calming down and zenning out (and tapping into the higher power) in the final battle? Beyond that, Kylo didn't do much beyond what we've already seen in the OT.

If he's Finn's friend, why is so much focus given to Finn actually finding friendship in the movie? He didn't even have a fucking name before he met Poe and his entire arc is about his friendship with Rey overcoming his selfish desire to run away.

I haven't read the books either, but Finn having friends before the movie feels like it's completely missing the point of Finn's character development in the movie.

I'll admit, initially, I thought that trooper meant something to Finn, but seeing it again, I don't get that vibe. Still, I think Finn should have felt something when he started blasting those troopers away. But that's just a suggestion to make Finn work better in the context of the movie. When I first heard about a trooper being a good guy and a main character, I thought they would do something interesting with him, but they don't.

The Force Awakens was a great movie was great until they leave jakku and went full nostalgia and ruined it. I understand there are people older than me that enjoyed that tho.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the force awakens is corporate fan fiction written as one long paragraph without a single full stop, only commas.

stunningly on point analysis which articulates most of my own thoughts on the film better than i ever could, and i say that as someone who was revving up the sarcasm engines as soon as i saw how this fella presented his writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom