• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming techniques/methods that still baffle you because they are still used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

I'm okay with shakey cam if it's used properly. Cloverfield is one of the few that did, also because it wasn't that shakey. The movie was made much more intense and real because of it. Shakey cam in conjunction with bad, quick editing is what turns people off. Fight/chase scenes like in Quantum of Solace are dreadful to me.

Lens flare again is alright if it isn't abused. It makes things look prettier and more 'cinematic' or whatever. It's okay in moderation. It's something I never even noticed until people brought it up with screenshots of Abrams films.

People seem to hate things because they're overused or abused and that's fine, but in the hands of the right person you don't notice them but subconsciously they make things work right. People like to bitch about CGI but don't realize how much better it made Zodiac look visually and they never even noticed it was there.

Draconian

The last two Bourne films are a way better example of shakycam gone amok than Quantum of Solace ever was for me at least. Throw this year's Safehouse in this category as well.

LakeEarth

Shaky cam in Transformers. With live action, the shaky cam allows them to hide a lack of choreography. Lazy, but I see the reasoning. With CGI.... what the hell? You can do anything with computer animation, why the hell do you want to hide it? Why do you want to spend millions having artists make giant robots, and then make it impossible to see what they're doing by adding a fake shake to it.

Zooming. It serves no purpose and completely breaks the immersion.

zoom1gtkov.gif
zoomxspk5r.gif

I notice it all the time and it makes me mad. Firefly and Battlestar Galactica are especially guilty of that.

StuBurns

Banned
Don't think so but Avatar 2 will be.

10% of Avatar's budget is 25 million though which ain't cheap. Was he talking about a flat costs (Film is film) or cost in relation to overall budget of a particular film?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Shaky cam and fast cutting/editing. Heaven forbid I actually want to see what's going on in a scene.

Kinyou

Zooming. It serves no purpose and completely breaks the immersion.

zoom1gtkov.gif
zoomxspk5r.gif

I notice it all the time and it makes me mad. Firefly and Battlestar Galactica are especially guilty of that.
I think it's used to ground the CGI effects a little more into reality. I really enjoyed because of that in Battlestar Galactica, but when you have a sci-fi epic like Avatar this documentary style feels out of place.

JGS

Banned
The Avatar ones were so brief it didn't concern me. Actually one of my favorite shots was when the military was coming from around a hill or tree (Can't remember) just as they are about to destroy the tree. It was from the perspective of the Na'vi noticing them coming into view.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shaky Cam, cannot stand it in action movies because it is just a giant copout to the action. In which case, don't make a fucking action movie.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Uh, that's called 'transference' and it also was a part of our critical vocabulary for films long before videogames or whatever.

Part of the reason we root for Simba is because we 'become' Simba. We become Ripley in Alien. We become Frodo in the The Lord Of The Rings. It isn't a new or alien concept. You're basically denying a fundamental part of cinema. And, well, any narrative art. Immersion and transference are key concepts of the Western storytelling tradition and exist in theatre, literature, film, television, radio and -yes- videogames.

The only thing unique to videogames (and even then it's present in more 'out there' types of theatre) is 'agency' - the ability to manipulate and control. This is the point I think you're trying to drive at but you're confusing it with other points design to draw the audience further into the film.

Yeah seems like it. My bad.

Not sure if serious..

Like I said, mistake of word :p

That doesn't mean anything. What "tech" do you use to replace shaky cam or tinting scenes with hues? Those are artistic decisions not the lack of money to buy a tripod or colour film.

I am talking about camera technology nowadays prevents shakiness and flare. Back then these were considered flaws in cameras due to the lack of technology.

And you call them artistic direction, I call them "pandering to the audience because they're more used to it".

So the OP is a realist ? I'm particularly a formalist myself and disagree with you about everything you said ;) . I just don't like when they are done wrong, or done excessively (e.g Paul Greengrass ).

I am talking about camera technology nowadays prevents shakiness and flare. Back then these were considered flaws in cameras due to the lack of technology.

And you call them artistic direction, I call them "pandering to the audience because they're more used to it".

If your talking about movies where the perspective is from a camera being used by someone in the cast then a hand held camera can only fix so much movement. If your talking about a camera that is supposed to be from the perspective of someone in the scene then that can be done very well. I think Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers did it the best. There are really bad uses like the first transformers. I don't know what was happening in any of those fights.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If your talking about movies where the perspective is from a camera being used by someone in the cast then a hand held camera can only fix so much movement. If your talking about a camera that is supposed to be from the perspective of someone in the scene then that can be done very well. I think Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers did it the best. There are really bad uses like the first transformers. I don't know what was happening in any of those fights.

Filming in general I mean.

Lucario

24fps

Shaky cam (oh fuck you cloverfield)

Lens flare (unless it's a 70s sci-fi throwback film)

BLURRING OF BACKGROUND.

This looks completely fine on lower resolution screens I suppose, but if you're at an IMAX watching a film (see the first ~4 harry potters and sherlock homes for awful offenders) and suddenly everything but the main character's face is blurred out, it looks RIDICULOUS. Instead of being distracted by the background characters walking around, I'm left wondering why the fuck everything is suddenly blurry as hell.

It makes no fucking sense and I want it to stop.

Example: 1:13:40 into Goblet of Fire, Harry's face enters the foreground, and the entire background, despite -nothing being in it-, noticeably blurs. Why u do dis?

Suairyu

Banned
This looks completely fine on lower resolution screens I suppose, but if you're at an IMAX watching a film (see the first ~4 harry potters and sherlock homes for awful offenders) and suddenly everything but the main character's face is blurred out, it looks RIDICULOUS. Instead of being distracted by the background characters walking around, I'm left wondering why the fuck everything is suddenly blurry as hell.
I... do you understand how cameras work?

I mean of course you don't but I am just so startled by this little bit. It's the most stunning post of the thread.

Film Grain. Kill it with fire. Any Blu-Ray with it, I turn off instantly and almost will never watch it again, unless I really, really, REALLY like the movie.

Suairyu

Banned
Film Grain. Kill it with fire. Any Blu-Ray with it, I turn off instantly and almost will never watch it again, unless I really, really, REALLY like the movie.
I... do you understand how film works?

I mean of course you don't but I am just so startled by this little bit. It's the most stunning post of the thread. Even moreso than the last guy.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
360 degree camera shots, looking at you Bay!

Something recently that I actually liked was the use of one take for the whole film in Silent House, was actually pretty cool.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Shaky cam and quick cuts during fight scenes. Yes, it is more dynamic, but what's the point if you can't even tell what the hell is going on.

Along those lines, a movie that features a fight that consists of two people taking turns attacking the camera needs to give up on fight scenes entirely.

I'm really annoyed that a movie like the Artist exists. We have color cameras and microphones on cell phones ffs. Don't these guys know this..

StuBurns

Banned
I was indeed. But it appeared obvious because he said "every film on blu ray", which would include every film not shot on digital.
That same logic would also rule out films without grain altogether, so that seemed unlikely.

Image quality is an interesting issue when it comes to digital films, I personally greatly prefer it. I just got Garden State on bluray, and the IQ is complete shit, really disappointing. That's not inherent in film of course, just 35mm can be beautiful, and 65mm can make for stunning transfers (such as 2001), but there is still nothing I know of that looks as good as Avatar for example, not even Baraka.

jett

D-Member
300 is really the only movie I remember seeing with artificial grain. What other films have used it?

Nearly every live-action movie shot digitally(that I've seen) has a layer of grain added to it. Even the likes of Avatar:
2736_1_1080p.jpg

Compare that to Toy Story 3, which looks as clean as possible:

3455_12_1080p.jpg

Amalthea

Banned
The problem are directors who can't get enough of all this shit. And they probably think the audience can't either.

Fake edit: Wanna-be John Williams soundtracks.

Dead

well not really...yet
Tron Legacy was a movie that used digital grain to a great extent. A horrible choice as the movie would have looked a lot better with a pure digital look.

Just another inept decision in a movie full of nothing but inept decisions.

jett

D-Member
Tron Legacy was a movie that used digital grain to a great extent. A horrible choice as the movie would have looked a lot better with a pure digital look.

Just another inept decision in a movie full of nothing but inept decisions.

Legashit trying to hide the awfulness of CG Jeff Bridges.

Needed more grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom