• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films That Scared You As A Child

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was 6 years old I watched Jaws (thanks to my older brother). Couldn't go swimming without fear for nearly 4 years.

edit: Yeah, I should learn how to read.

In that case it would be Secret of Nimh... scary stuff.

ThankeeSai

an-american-werewolf-in-london-poster.jpg

421px-Threadsmoviecover.jpg

The Witches (that shit was frightening to me back then)
IT (for reasons that are pretty damn clear, fucking clowns)
Alien (had me looking under my bed and in cupboards for months)
Total Recall (the head scene freaked me the hell out)
The Elephant Man (was warned by my dad not to watch it with him but did I listen? Had nightmares for a good while after)
Return to Oz (Nome King, Wheelers, Mombi - nightmare fuel)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Emil from Lönneberga. Or rather, it wasn't that the series/movies in general scared me, but the intro where Emil's dad starts yelling at him, or whenever he would be yelling at Emil during the movies, scared me :lol Also, Disney's Sleeping Beauty, when Maleficent turns into a dragon.

Man, people should really read the OP.

absolutely amazing, isn't it?

For me it was:

mgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A702456

For whatever reason Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was just unnerving as hell to me. This little Bavarian-like town with dirty, wet streets, a bizarre factory looming in the distance, and basically a bunch of kids dying (how I interpreted it as a child).

I would close my eyes during the boat scene. The scene with Charlie and Grampa floating up towards the spinning blades of death was intense, too.

Don't care how much candy was there, I wanted nothing to do with that factory of death. :D

ThankeeSai

Watch that recently, the transformation scene still is amazing, plus I noticed the film had this wonderful black humour about.

Yep, the transformation scene still holds up very well. The makeup for Jack still looks gruesome as ever, too.

What made it doubly scary for me was that at the time I first watched it, I lived on Shetland (a small island in the most northern point of Scotland) which was of course, mostly made up of moor land (in the part where I lived anyway).

Fucking hell, it scared me shitless.

7threst

If I remember correctly, Poltergeist was the film that directly led to the creation of the PG-13 rating.

Before that, there was no classification between PG and R. Kinda hard to believe, in retrospect.

You sure? Didn't the first Evil Dead also had to do something with the change in ratings? I remember something like that watching a documentary on the first Evil Dead movie.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
carebearsmoviespellbook.jpg

Yeah, that's right, the fucking Care Bear Movie.

READ OP

The second Care Bear movie was creepy, the kids with the glowing red eyes.

Also I remember having a Care Bear VHS where the villain was a guy who loved the cold and turned sad children into giant frogs

bill0527

Jaws.

I was around 3 or 4 years old and it's one of my oldest and vivid memories.

My parents took me to the drive-in and when the movie started, made me lay down in the back seat and go to sleep. I watched the whole movie between the cracks of the front seat while laying down.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Also Ghostbusters 2 scared me when I was in the cinema that I went to the bathroom during it and wouldn't come out. the whole thing with the painting coming to life freaked me out, I lasted about 20 mins.

Ended up going to see Back to the Future Part 2 instead, and got a free packet of Malteasers from the cinema manager

jorgeton

Robocop. The scene where Murphy gets gunned down. Saw it in a theater when I was five or six. I still haven't been able to watch that scene since...

Kenai

Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Return to Oz were both some of the first ones I thought of.

However, as bad as the Wheelers were, the flying monkey scene where they snatch Dorothy and Toto in the original film was, by far, the most terrifying thing I ever remember seeing in a movie as a young child. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SESI19h4wDo

Laugh all you want, but I had nightmares about it for YEARS.

Wark

E.T. scared the shit outta me when I was little. The weird is thing is that I'd turn the movie off to watch Leprechaun.

Xun

Terminator 2 when I was 5.

I didn't go to parks for a few months in fear of a nuclear blast going off.

Exuro

Maybe it's just me, but "The Great Mouse Detective" scared the crap out of me as a child.

This guy...
GreatMouseDetective2.jpg

And Ratigan at the end when he goes all crazy in the rain

Not a movie but a miniseries:

220px-V-2001DVDcover.jpg

I was 4 when I first saw that. Scared the shit out of me, and I loved it. It was also cool because when it first aired, no one had any idea what to expect.

As I got older, that mini series actually got better as I now actually see what they were going for. HINT: Nazi aliens. Yeah, that point was lost on me as a kid.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Maybe it's just me, but "The Great Mouse Detective" scared the crap out of me as a child.

This guy...
GreatMouseDetective2.jpg

And Ratigan at the end when he goes all crazy in the rain

I bought it on DVD a year ago or so. Still such a great movie. May have to get the BD version if/when it gets released in Europe, as the Lion King BD release looked mindblowingly good, so I hope this one will look good too on BD. Also, too bad they never made the planned sequel, where it would be revealed that
Ratigan survived the fall from Big Ben.

Poltergeist 1 and 2

Fuck knows what my parents were thinking letting me watch that at 4 years old.

Made even worse by the fact I used to live opposite a graveyard.

Divius

When I was really young and getting into Disney movies those fucking donkey-children from Pinocchio scared the shit out of me.

05.jpg

Teppic

It.

x95MO.jpg

that specifically, friends and I use to play near sewers and sometimes went in them to get out balls and stuff...
This one. It made me scared of the dark for a long time.

Also some of the Are You Afraid of the Dark episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom