• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FILTH (James McAvoy, from Trainspotting author Irvine Welsh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching this now, gotta say....as soon as James McAvoy popped on screen with that beard......dudes a PIMP

edit:OMG HAHAHAHAHAHA he just took the little kids balloon and let if fly up to the air and then not only gave him one middle finger but TWO middle fingers.

:dead

UrbanRats

I just saw this film, I read the book many years ago so I maybe rusty on the details of all the things they changed but I have to say over all, so disappointed. One of the reasons being what you quoted.

Spoilers from movie AND BOOK

With them always showing Davey in his hallucinations it was just obvious there was some shit he had never dealt with from the past. Bringing that up early on in the movie ruined the revelation behind Bruces distrust and reluctance to accept or connect with anyone else. The front end of the book is basically the adventures of captain cunt and his non-stop efforts to fuck everyone around him. He was also a far bigger prick in the book. It wasn't until the end that the book went into the back story of how Bruce came to be the way he was; having it sort of thrown around throughout the movie from the start just took the impact of all that away. Even then, they skipped some really big ones there, the first love with the gummy leg and I think more importantly; the fact his Mum was raped and he was conceived of that crime and as such always being treated like a burden and the animosity and hatred of what happen to his mother was often channelled at him, especially after his little Brother dies.

Then of course there is the fact that at the start of the book it's him that commits the murder, and it's a random black guy he kills with a claw hammer to the head in a fit of rage at knowing his ex-wife is dating a black guy.

I know they had to make some changes but they sort of took the real 'kick' out of the book imo. There was too much 'oh you should feel sorry for him because some thing obviously isn't quite right with him' through out the whole movie, when the book doesn't really suggest anything other than he's a right cunt until the very end and because of that it makes you go back and really challenge how you feel about the character.

I don't know, I think the movie just didn't have the same impact as the book.

Those seem like some pretty drastic changes (for the worse), nevertheless, i enjoyed the movie; i thought it was a very good dark comedy that, in the end, still managed to make me feel bad for the prick.

I'm watching this now, gotta say....as soon as James McAvoy popped on screen with that beard......dudes a PIMP

edit:OMG HAHAHAHAHAHA he just took the little kids balloon and let if fly up to the air and then not only gave him one middle finger but TWO middle fingers.

:dead

tumblr_mhqc9iSDIg1qed7g8o2_400.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really liked this movie. Pretty insane.

Then again McAvoy elevates any movie to B statues at least by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom