• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final DMR poll: Trump 28%, Cruz 23% & Clinton 45%, Sanders 42%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

Just announced...

z1dLjma.jpg

3FomjWH.jpg
More coming...

I wonder how much turnout will be compared to previous years.

I guess I'll add a joke, too:

Does anyone else think establishment newspapers shouldn't be conducting polls? :p

Xe4

Banned
Not surprised. Trumps been surging, and if Bernie is gonna win anywhere it's gonna be NH, but it's close so it could go to either. What is the error percentage?

I wonder who Malley is stealing more votes from?

Probably Clinton. For a while there he was seem as the establishment alternative to Hillary.

ICKE

Banned
Ted Cruz has decided to make his stand and die on that ethanol hill.

Why would you do that. I know he is an ideologue but...just...no.

"I want to win this election in order to save 'Murica from the butcher of Benghazi but first I will alienate voters in the most important primary"

On the other side :

giphy.gif

Burli

Pringo
Are there actually any non-crazies running for the Republicans (I admit I nothing about this Rubio fella)?

Xe4

Banned
4%. So Clinton and Sanders are basically tied.

Ok, so Clinton has a slight edge but it can swing either way. Gonna be interesting to see how it turns out for the Dems.

If Trump doesn't win Iowa for the Republicans, I'll be shocked.

Ecotic

The takeaway is it's still a race. Trump and Clinton both probably have a 60-65% chance of winning, but it's still a race.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ok, so Clinton has a slight edge but it can swing either way. Gonna be interesting to see how it turns out for the Dems.

If Trump doesn't win Iowa for the Republicans, I'll be shocked.

There is a pretty big piece of the puzzle missing since many aren't registered. The students in Iowa. I found out the other day for Caucuses, the students are allowed to vote in them and many of them aren't registered. Even if you are from out of state. I would definitely say that plays heavily in Bernie's favor if they do have a strong turn out.

maxcriden

People keep saying this, but I believe them less and less every time. Anything can happen.

I don't think the electoral math shows a possible path to victory for Trump, from what I remember. Someone else can probably shed more light on this, though.

Xe4

Banned
This and NH are probably the most important caucuses for Bernie, if he wins both he has a fighting chance, if he only wins one it's ok, he's still in the game. If he looses both, RIP, Bernie campaign. If he can't win some of the whitest states in the US he stands no chance in the rest of it.

My prediction : Hillary inches out Sanders in Iowa, but Sanders inches out Hillary in NH. Mostly cause NH is closer to Vermont.

Hazmat

I honestly thought Sanders would have it tied or be up 1-2%. I imagine the Clinton camp is very happy with this news. The delegate count will be close either way, but a win would be big for either candidate.

The takeaway is it's still a race. Trump and Clinton both probably have a 60-65% chance of winning, but it's still a race.

Pretty much, although Trump being just outside the MoE is not insignificant. And Sanders needs a significant popular vote lead to overcome Clinton's geographical advantages for delegates.

HylianTom

Banned
A key note:
because of how delegates in Iowa are distributed, Bernie likely has to win the raw popular vote by at least a few percent in order to win the headline delegate count at the end of the night. Our pollster, Selzer, estimates that about 27% of Bernie's support comes from three counties with college towns (Black Hawk, Johnson, and Story); he can rack-up large margins in these locations, but these large margins will not translate into additional delegates. The dynamic is similar to how a Democrat in the general election can win California by millions, and it won't do him/her any good in the electoral college.

(The raw popular vote won't be announced until later on in the year.)

All that said: I'm going to laaaaugh if Selzer is wrong this year, after all of this silly fanfare.

Mike M

Nick N
People keep saying this, but I believe them less and less every time. Anything can happen.
Well it's certainly possible, but proclaiming it unlikely is an assertion that's supported by data. Clinton leads by wide margins in practically every demographic outside of white males, and it's no longer possible to win the election by carrying the white vote alone. The GOP primary electorate does not extrapolate to the general election.

kirblar

I don't think the electoral math shows a possible path to victory for Trump, from what I remember. Someone else can probably shed more light on this, though.

Well it's certainly possible, but proclaiming it unlikely is an assertion that's supported by data. Clinton leads by wide margins in practically every demographic outside of white males, and it's no longer possible to win the election by carrying the white vote alone. The GOP primary electorate does not extrapolate to the general election.
This is exactly it. Bernie is incredibly unlikely to win the primary reason for the exact same reason Trump is incredibly unlikely to win the general.

KHarvey16

All it takes is some sort of "attack" or some sort of "omg terrorism" thing to happen, and Trump's numbers could go up. Trump plays into fear, and when people are afraid they vote.

I think saying "not possible" as in 0% chance is a little too early to say at this point.

It would take more than that. The people afraid of a trump victory would become more afraid in the case of an emergency that might make it easier for him to actually carry out his ridiculous campaign ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom