• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final DMR poll: Trump 28%, Cruz 23% & Clinton 45%, Sanders 42%

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrow

eozQh2d.png

Might as well post this here as well. Her 3% lead looks a lot stronger when you take this into account.

Jarmel

Banned
The Republican side is going to be razor thin. What it will boil down to is if Trump's voters actually go out and vote.

I don't think the electoral math shows a possible path to victory for Trump, from what I remember. Someone else can probably shed more light on this, though.

Trump does have a path to victory. He needs to match Romney's performance and pick up about an extra 4% of the white vote assuming minority turn-out remains at the same level as 2012.

However, that's extremely unlikely for several reasons:

1) Romney had the highest share of the white vote of any candidate in 25 years, and he still lost handily.

2) Trump's misogynistic comments as well as Hillary being on the ballot on the other end is going to hurt him with white women, a demographic that Romney won by 14 points.

3) Trump has insane unfavorables with Latinos. Its likely that the Democrats will get 80%+ of the Hispanic vote if Trump is the GOP nominee. (Obama got around 70% in 2012)

4) The economy is doing much better now than it was in 2012 and Obama is more popular. Overall conditions are much more favorable for the Dems this time around.

Trump's only real chance of victory is if there is a major terrorist attack or an economic meltdown. Something that would make white people go nuts in response.

ICKE

Banned
It just boggles my mind that you would go against ethanol subsidies in the one primary you ABSOLUTELY have to win in order to keep the race competitive.

Ted Cruz is supposed to have one of the most ruthless and intelligent campaign managers there is. I don't know what to make of it, I think the capabilities of Jeff Roe might be vastly overestimated.

1050.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The same chances as Bernie has at winning the primary I guess

Eh, I don't think so. If Bloomberg wants to enter the race as an Independent he will. He has the cash, popularity and name to do what he wants, Ross Perot style.

He obviously won't go in as a Democrat so I don't see how Senator Sanders electoral outcomes has anything to do with what Mayor Bloomberg wants to do.

HylianTom

Banned
Trump's only real chance of victory is if there is a major terrorist attack or an economic meltdown. Something that would make white people go nuts in response.

This poll is a few months old, but it suggests that a terror attack wouldn't ding her chances against him. Voters trusted her more by 8%. Pretty unusual for a Democrat (I remember being a bit surprised). I'd love for pollsters to do new research on this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hetoric-clinton-is-most-trusted-on-terrorism/

Xe4

Banned
A key note:
because of how delegates in Iowa are distributed, Bernie likely has to win the raw popular vote by at least a few percent in order to win the headline delegate count at the end of the night. Our pollster, Selzer, estimates that about 27% of Bernie's support comes from three counties with college towns (Black Hawk, Johnson, and Story); he can rack-up large margins in these locations, but these large margins will not translate into additional delegates. The dynamic is similar to how a Democrat in the general election can win California by millions, and it won't do him/her any good in the electoral college.

(The raw popular vote won't be announced until later on in the year.)

All that said: I'm going to laaaaugh if Selzer is wrong this year, after all of this silly fanfare.

True, Hillary is probably going to win the delegate vote either way. However, winning by percentage is important to Bernie because it can be painted as an underdog narrative, while Sanders loosing the total percentage but still getting roughly the same delegates would still paint him as the looser of Iowa.

Eh, I don't think so. If Bloomberg wants to enter the race as an Independent he will. He has the cash, popularity and name to do what he wants, Ross Perot style.

He obviously won't go in as a Democrat so I don't see how Senator Sanders electoral outcomes has anything to do with what Mayor Bloomberg wants to do.

He said he'll only run if "extremist" candidates are chosen, in his opinion Sanders and Trump. And while he may still say fuck it and rub anyways, the cancer of him entering are higher with Bernie as the delegate than with Clinton.

I don't agree with him saying Sanders is extreme, but it's what he believes.

CCS

Banned
True, Hillary is probably going to win the delegate vote either way. However, winning by percentage is important to Bernie because it can be painted as an underdog narrative, while Sanders loosing the total percentage but still getting roughly the same delegates would still paint him as the looser of Iowa.

Doesn't matter though, percentage doesn't get announced until August, way after the primaries are over.

gcubed

How accurate are they with proper turnout models? Bernie gets more of his support for voters that don't turn out, so I assume he has a bit more of a hill to climb when it's close

This is going to be decided by turnout and who has the better organization. If Sanders pulls off the "revolution" he's promised, he'll win because new caucus goers will show up. I tend to doubt that given the voter registration numbers. Right now I think turnout won't be particularly great and Hillary will win by 4-6%.

if i'm interpreting this correctly does this mean sanders is catching up?

Hes had a very gradual increase over the past 8 months, the only question is, if the momentum will increase that little bit more over the next 48 hours.

Caucuses are different from regular voting. There is a lot of talking, you don't just go into a booth and cast your vote. So the numbers for enthusiasm are pretty important, because the candidate's base that has the best argument when everyone meets, might get an extra boost on the night of the caucus.

O'Malley's 3 % is interesting. They said that they really isn't anything that can pull from his supporters that would say if they would go to clinton or sanders if they had a second choice that could effect the outcome. The small group of 15 people in the poll just wasn't enough for them to come to conclusions over it.

rjinaz

It's going to be a close one!

Trump and Cruz are closer than I would like but, I still think Trump takes it easy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How accurate are they with proper turnout models? Bernie gets more of his support for voters that don't turn out, so I assume he has a bit more of a hill to climb when it's close

Who are you referring to?

Lucreto

Trump would be ridiculed and people will point and laugh and that's just from the US's allies. I don't think enemies would give a shit.

Don't forget a trump is slang for a fart in the UK. Lots of joke begin there.

I hope Bernie goes independant if he loses.
You're either delusional and you think he'd actually be able to win the General as an (I), or you're selfish as fuck and basically want to piss on the Democrats/Dem voters for not selecting your (current) Savior To Be.

rjinaz

I'm a Trump supporter because I want Bernie to win it all? Ok. I'm latino btw, I wouldn't be caught dead voting for Trump.

No but I really don't think you are a Bernie supporter if you want a Republican to win which is exactly what would happen. How do you justify that?

CDX

There is a pretty big piece of the puzzle missing since many aren't registered. The students in Iowa. I found out the other day for Caucuses, the students are allowed to vote in them and many of them aren't registered. Even if you are from out of state. I would definitely say that plays heavily in Bernie's favor if they do have a strong turn out.

I'm thinking that probably wont matter that much. Bernie was likely already going to win the college areas, and by big percentage amounts.

If he now wins by an even higher percentage amount that likely wont change how many delegates he gets from those college areas by very much.

Delegates are what get you the nomination, not total votes, as Hillary learned from Obama in 2008.

Also the caucus is during the school term this year, compared to 8 years ago when it was during Christmas/Winter break for Obama. So all the college kids will likely be concentrated in the college areas which could also limit the delegates Bernie gets compared to if they were spread out all through out the state. And the kids from out of state don't really have anywhere else to go to in the state anyways besides their own college area.

danm999

I'm thinking that probably wont matter that much. Bernie was likely already going to win the college areas, and by big percentage amounts.

If he now wins by an even higher percentage amount that likely wont change how many delegates he gets from those college areas by very much.

Delegates are what get you the nomination, not total votes, as Hillary learned from Obama in 2008.

Also the caucus is during the school term this year, compared to 8 years ago when it was during Christmas/Winter break for Obama. So all the college kids will likely be concentrated in the college areas which could also limit the delegates Bernie gets compared to if they were spread out all through out the state. And the kids from out of state don't really have anywhere else to go to in the state anyways besides their own college area.

From what I understand it's like the electoral college basically. Pouring more voters into a place where you're already going to win a bunch of delegates would be like the Democrats getting an extra 20 million votes in California. Affects the PV but not necessarily the outcome.

Taelus

This is going to be decided by turnout and who has the better organization. If Sanders pulls off the "revolution" he's promised, he'll win because new caucus goers will show up. I tend to doubt that given the voter registration numbers. Right now I think turnout won't be particularly great and Hillary will win by 4-6%.

You don't have to be registered prior to caucus day. If you show up to caucus, they can register you right there, which I imagine many first-timers will opt for.

Xe4

Banned
Doesn't matter though, percentage doesn't get announced until August, way after the primaries are over.

Shows what I knew. I thought percentages were released immediately (or at least exit polls, which the general public sees as the percentage anyways.), but it can change until August.

Either way if Sanders loosed Iowa, that's a bad sign for him.

sangreal

Shows what I knew. I thought percentages were released immediately (or at least exit polls, which the general public sees as the percentage anyways.), but it can change until August.

Either way if Sanders loosed Iowa, that's a bad sign for him.

vote count is released for republicans but not democrats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom