• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 3 DS screens

Beezy

Thanks. You know, I've never played any of the 2D Final Fantasy game. Maybe I'll just buy them all, even though FF3 will be in 3D...

El Papa

Here it is but a little easier to see.

ff3ds.jpg

Red Scarlet

bobble said:
holy mother moly thats looking fantastic.

Oh, and was FF3 actually good?

I thought it was ok..but a number of people really swear by it as the best 8bit one and better than some/most/all of the later ones.

bummyhead

what is it that Square knows about grpahics that other developers don't. Seriously, they have always miles beyond everyone else on every system.

Fuck you Namco and your Xenosaga garbage.

PS GIVE FF6 this treatment NOW!

bummyhead

Pellham said:
Yes, in terms of gameplay and nothing else, FF3 is the best FF game to date.

of course you can virtually garentee that this game will recieve updates to the story, new areas etc.....

just so we're clear, FF III (as seen above) is really a remake of the FF 6 right? Doesnt look anything like how i remember it, but its been a while

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I get it; now this will give Square an excuse to remake Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 in the same style on the DS over the next couple of years. Brilliance. :)

I wonder if they are going to port FFVII to a portable...this FF3 remake looks pretty similar.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Suburban Cowboy said:
just so we're clear, FF III (as seen above) is really a remake of the FF 6 right? Doesnt look anything like how i remember it, but its been a while

No, sorry :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Suburban Cowboy said:

No, this is a remake of Final Fantasy III, which came out for the Famicom originally. This is not a remake of FF6, which was FF3 in the U.S.

bummyhead

Lyte Edge said:
I get it; now this will give Square an excuse to remake Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 in the same style on the DS over the next couple of years. Brilliance. :)

god i hope they do.

I wonder if they are going to port FFVII to a portable...this FF3 remake looks pretty similar.

It looks a hell of a lot better than FF7 actually, and it's realtime instead of pre-rendered backgrounds.

Holy shite! FF III looks stunning! This game makes me wonder why something like this couldn't have been done for Xenosaga I&II to make it more comparable to Xenogears. FF III DS also makes me wonder why so many other companies' efforts in 3D on the DS stinks!

This game is going to sell a boatload and then some, along with many, many DS systems!

WOW!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Pellham said:
Yes, in terms of gameplay and nothing else, FF3 is the best FF game to date.

Buh? 5 seriously trampled on 3. Not that 3 was a bad upgrade from the original though.

Still, 3 was a bit borked in a few spots, I look forward to this remake.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
FF III DS also makes me wonder why so many other companies' efforts in 3D on the DS stinks!

I've said it before and I will say it again. It is the game budgets and lazy GBA developers trying to get products out quick and cheap. All of Nintendo's 3D games look great, and Square-Enix is the first big company doing high budget 3D games besides Nintendo.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Holy crap.

1. Square, I forgive you all your sins.

2. Crystal Chronicles DS is going to rock worlds.

3. I would give an arm and a leg in equivalent exchange for FF5 and FF6 remakes with this engine.

Red Scarlet

Suburban Cowboy said:

No, Square has dropped using the wrong numbers years ago.

Maybe someday, everyone else will, too.[/hope]

Deku

Banned
DS is a much more capable 3D machine than the PSone. It's also a much more capable 3D machine than the N64 sans the texture filtering.

The best proof of that is the lack of texture tearing on 3D DS games, something that was always a problem with the PSone.

Well out of nowhere Square-Enix has answered all of my prayers. First FFIV, V, and VI redone for GBA (FFIV being my favourite of the series), now FFIII DS is looking amazing particularly for DS 3D, and Children of Mana's 2D is looking simply *luscious*.

These five games alone will keep me playing my GBA/DS for years to come... well done SE! Now, if they do ports of Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3, and maybe a version of FFVII akin to this FFIII remake, my brain would just explode with the joy overload of it all.

Kai Dracon

Deku said:
SE is secretly preparing Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross remakes for 2006 :p

If anyone is ever gonna milk their IP, for gods' sake, GO GO GADGET SQUARE-ENIX! You can milk alla your back catalog, so long as you do it like this!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
thorsilver said:
Well out of nowhere Square-Enix has answered all of my prayers. First FFIV, V, and VI redone for GBA (FFIV being my favourite of the series), now FFIII DS is looking amazing particularly for DS 3D, and Children of Mana's 2D is looking simply *luscious*.

These five games alone will keep me playing my GBA/DS for years to come... well done SE! Now, if they do ports of Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3, and maybe a version of FFVII akin to this FFIII remake, my brain would just explode with the joy overload of it all.

I don't even think they'd really need to remake it. They could probably compress it onto a 256MB DS card, which 3DM currently is making, and easily fit it all, uncompressed sans the FMVs, onto a 512 card.

I have FFVII for the PC. Game data, at a full install, which puts EVERYTHING except the FMVs on the hard drive is 420 MB. Nintendo has licensed a technology (I forgot from which company) that can compress an hour's worth of FMV down to 32MB.

you're looking at a 450 MB FFVII game with only the FMVs compressed. Take out some detail on the models and lower the resolution since it won't be as noticeable on a smaller screen, and use new compression techniques developed over the past decade, and you can get it down to 200-300 MB, easily.

Same with FFVIII (570MB game data on PC) and FFIX, I bet.
Or they could remake them using the FF3 DS engine. :)

ShowDog

Ya Suburban the FFVI picks were right next to the other ones, it's on Advance instead of DS. It's just a port instead of a remake.

bummyhead

You know what the realy cool thing about the DS is these days is that we are now seeing triple a 3d, and triple a 2d titles on the same system, both in quanitity. Pretty much every other system was skewed one way or the other.

Still amazed at this game. Truly is on the verge of being gamecube quality.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Kaijima said:
Holy crap.

1. Square, I forgive you all your sins.

2. Crystal Chronicles DS is going to rock worlds.

3. I would give an arm and a leg in equivalent exchange for FF5 and FF6 remakes with this engine.

Homunculus GiT!

bummyhead

GaimeGuy said:
I don't even think they'd really need to remake it. They could probably compress it onto a 256MB DS card, which 3DM currently is making, and easily fit it all, uncompressed sans the FMVs, onto a 512 card.

I have FFVII for the PC. Game data, at a full install, which puts EVERYTHING except the FMVs on the hard drive is 420 MB. Nintendo has licensed a technology (I forgot from which company) that can compress an hour's worth of FMV down to 32MB.

you're looking at a 450 MB FFVII game with only the FMVs compressed. Take out some detail on the models and lower the resolution since it won't be as noticeable on a smaller screen, and use new compression techniques developed over the past decade, and you can get it down to 200-300 MB, easily.

Same with FFVIII (570MB game data on PC) and FFIX, I bet.
Or they could remake them using the FF3 DS engine. :)

Actually you wouldnt have to lower the quality of the models at all. The lower resolution of the Ds screen alone would be be enough to cut the size of the movies by two thirds.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
bummyhead said:
You know what the realy cool thing about the DS is these days is that we are now seeing triple a 3d, and triple a 2d titles on the same system, both in quanitity. Pretty much every other system was skewed one way or the other.

Still amazed at this game. Truly is on the verge of being gamecube quality.

Umm lets not get insane here. Its damn good like a Super N64 game but lets night roll the red carpet out for the trolls.

GaimeGuy

bummyhead said:
Actually you wouldnt have to lower the quality of the models at all. The lower resolution of the Ds screen alone would be be enough to cut the size of the movies by two thirds.
But you could make changes to the models because the screen is smaller and it would be less noticeable. :)

bummyhead

Shaheed79 said:
Umm lets not get insane here. Its damn good like a Super N64 game but lets night roll the red carpet out for the trolls.

Well, I stand by what I said. take the same number of polys and run them at 640X480 on a tv screen and it wont look so hot. but at 256X192 it truly does look way, way beyond N64 quality.

Deku

Banned
bummyhead said:
Well, I stand by what I said. take the same number of polys and run them at 640X480 on a tv screen and it wont look so hot. but at 256X192 it truly does look way, way beyond N64 quality.

except PS1 games don't usually run on 640x480 res.

bummyhead

GaimeGuy said:
But you could make changes to the models because the screen is smaller and it would be less noticeable. :)

But why in the world would you? I mean if anything Square would be improving the models, not downgrading them for gods sake. Look at the models on FF3 DS, they are already better than the FF7 models, and FF7 didnt have 3d backgrounds....

GaimeGuy

bummyhead said:
But why in the world would you? I mean if anything Square would be improving the models, not downgrading them for gods sake. Look at the models on FF3 DS, they are already better than the FF7 models, and FF7 didnt have 3d backgrounds....
true... very true.

bummyhead said:

Are we sure that the game has fully 3D backgrounds? I mean, I'd love for it to be true, but those screens look so good that I have to wonder.

Kai Dracon

bummyhead said:

I don't think this is the verge of Gamecube graphics, even if we imagine it had texture filtering. However, yes, this does make it more clear that the DS *is better* than the PSOne by a very visible margin, when not suffering crap development. We saw what Square could do with PSOne - this is really a pretty darn good benchmark for comparison, with Square now pushing the DS.

Kai Dracon

AndoCalrissian said:
Are we sure that the game has fully 3D backgrounds? I mean, I'd love for it to be true, but those screens look so good that I have to wonder.

They don't look nearly good enough to be pre-rendered. Also, you can see the tell-tale quality of pre-filtered DS style textures wrapped around less geometry than the great textures imply; these are Square artist we're talking about, so they're just REALLY FREAKING GOOD pre-filtered textures ;)

GaimeGuy

Kaijima said:
They don't look nearly good enough to be pre-rendered. Also, you can see the tell-tale quality of pre-filtered DS style textures wrapped around less geometry than the great textures imply; these are Square artist we're talking about, so they're just REALLY FREAKING GOOD pre-filtered textures ;)
Bingo

bobble

Just so I don't have to look it up..... FF3 was 'job system' based right? Kinda like FF5? I'm hyped!

And isn't FFIV coming out HERE IN THE US on GBA in December?

Deku

Banned
The armor on the stand in the store looks like a simple boxy polygon with a texture map.

But then again it might be a mix of pre-rendered BGs and polygonal items and decorations. It would make sense for them to go full 3D to allow users to rotate their environments and save space on the cartridge since textures can be reused.

Top Bottom