• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 3 DS screens

That was FFVI as far as I know Scott.

Nomura just sucks plain and simple. The enemy designs are still from Amano's original drawings as far as I know. :p

fresquito

FFT characters are my favourites from FF world...

FFT characters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else in FF universe.

Scott

Dragona Akehi said:
That was FFVI as far as I know Scott.
Was just re-reading EGM's interview with him (as I wasn't sure myself):
Of course, I'd been associated with the Final Fantasy franchise before FFVII, as I did monster designs on Final Fantasy V (Super NES).
So I guess he didn't have a hand in VI, after all.

Gameplay>Graphics said:
Fuckall, Im confused! So IV, at least the one on dawn of souls, is not the same as the one refered to by some of the poeple in this thread? (I'm not an FF expert)
Final Fantasy IV is not in Dawn of Souls at all. In any modern context, assume Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy III do not mean the games released under those names on SNES outside of Japan, and things should be alright. The Final Fantasy II in Dawn of Souls is the real Final Fantasy II, released on the Famicom in the 80s, and later made part of the Final Fantasy Origins PS1 release worldwide.

Jonnyram said:
I know a gazillion people have said how they wish the characters looked more like the Amano art, but let me ask... when have the characters EVER looked like the Amano art? Remember what FFVII looked like.
Sure they never have... but it would be cool and interesting for it to finally happen. VII and onwards' characters have looked pretty faithful to their non-Amano original artists' conceptions.

Dragona Akehi said:
Not unless we got a beautiful high-res 2D title. Which will never be. Even Amano's anime ends up being stylized differently from his original drawings.
In the world of non-photo-realistic rendering, we can only hope to see "Amano Shading" at some point.

..pakbeka.. said:
HEY SQUARE, why aren't ff5 and 6 getting the same treatment? what makes 3 so special?
Well, for one they can do a direct graphical port of V and VI and have them stand up to GBA games of today. Whereas FF III is a 15 year old NES game, or an incomplete WSC upgrade. And it's not like they're only allowed to do one major remake and blew it on FF III; as long as these things are successful we'll probably see various entries from series like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy made in all sorts of forms in the coming decades.

GaimeGuy said:
the data is probably larger because the game runs at 640x480 on the PC.
But it doesn't have higher resolution backgrounds and textures, does it? Just the same stuff with the polygonal bits being rendered at a high resolution.

Scott said:
Still, I'm hoping for an unlockable version of the original, and I'm hoping that Square Enix USA translates it in-kind. Fingers crossed.
Yeah, it's the translating of it for non-Japanese audiences that seems like a lot of work for what'd be a little bonus for most people... still, seems easy enough to do in Japan.

Of course, I'd been associated with the Final Fantasy franchise before FFVII, as I did monster designs on Final Fantasy V (Super NES).
So I guess he didn't have a hand in VI, after all.

He was in charge of monster graphics for both V and VI (check the credits). The characters of Shadow and Setzer were his idea, incidentally.

The character graphics in FF3make look more like a 3D version of FF Tactics' sprites than anything from FF9 or FFCC. Square probably brought Yoshida to the project with that in mind.

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
He was in charge of monster graphics for both V and VI (check the credits). The characters of Shadow and Setzer were his idea, incidentally.
Checking the credits, for V he's one of four credited for "Battle Graphics", while in VI he's one of four credited as "Graphical Director".

There are also two "T. Nomura" listings in FF IV's Special Thanks, but I've no real clue whether either is supposed to be Tetsuya.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
nine words said:
FFT characters are my favourites from FF world...

FFT characters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else in FF universe.

Speaking of that, who did the art for Final Fantasy Tactics anyway, and what did he/she/they do before and after FFT? I really liked the characters (as in character art and in-game characters) in FFT as well.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Akihiko Yoshida did. He did work for Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story and Wild Card (WonderSwan game). I always wondered what the deal was with Bahamut Lagoon. Since it first was called FFT and the characters look like his work (no noses, stuff like that) I always thought it was his work, but I never found out if he really worked on those.

Rei_Toei said:
Akihiko Yoshida did. He did work for Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story and Wild Card (WonderSwan game). I always wondered what the deal was with Bahamut Lagoon. Since it first was called FFT and the characters look like his work (no noses, stuff like that) I always thought it was his work, but I never found out if he really worked on those.
The MobyGames credits don't specifically list a character designer, but there's no Yoshida among the various graphic designer listings.

Emotions

Can't wait to buy this hope it turns out really and hopefully FF:CC DS is still in the works, FF 3 and Children of Mana look so promising, can't wait to get my hands on them.

Shit, will finally be forced to buy a DS. Oh well, if there's any silver lining it's that i won't have to pay through the nose for a new system heh. Hopefully Nintendo will be going for the PSP jugular by then and drop it to like $99 :lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I do not like the idea of FFIII coming to the DS....at ALL. Why? Let me explain...

The DS has neither a TV out option, a "GBA Player-like" gadget allowing me to play on my TV, or an emulator. This results in me being forced to play FFIII on a tiny-ass 2" screen, which I don't want to do with a killer game like this.

At least with the GBA FFs I can play them on my 17" notebook via GBA Advance....now before you go screaming "Isamu is teh PIRATE!!!!"....I WILL be buying the actual carts! So this gives me the right to dump them to my pc and play them via emu.

I won't be able to do that with the DS games and it sucks! That is the reason why I wanted FF III on the fucking GBA instead!! Small screens suck!

bummyhead

isamu said:
I do not like the idea of FFIII coming to the DS....at ALL. Why? Let me explain...

The DS has neither a TV out option, a "GBA Player-like" gadget allowing me to play on my TV, or an emulator. This results in me being forced to play FFIII on a tiny-ass 2" screen, which I don't want to do with a killer game like this.

At least with the GBA FFs I can play them on my 17" notebook via GBA Advance....now before you go screaming "Isamu is teh PIRATE!!!!"....I WILL be buying the actual carts! So this gives me the right to dump them to my pc and play them via emu.

I won't be able to do that with the DS games and it sucks! That is the reason why I wanted FF III on the fucking GBA instead!! Small screens suck!

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Dammit I sure do whish that FF3 was being remade in for inferior hardware with muffled 8bit sound instead so that Mr Spazzo Isamu could be happy.

Not. Actually now that you have posted such a stupid rant I hope that every sinlge good game gets reamde for hardware you dont like, just so it pisses you off.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
isamu said:

:lol How did I miss this gem?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
bobble said:
holy mother moly thats looking fantastic.

Oh, and was FF3 actually good?

Although it doesn't have much in the way of story/characterization (just, 4 nameless warriors travelling through towns and solving some fairly creative for an 8 bit game fetch quests), the game was very good. Extremely challenging, with a variety of jobs to use, secrets to discover, and side quests to go on... for a Famicom game, it's definitely one of the longest and most complex (with the exception of maybe DQIV). The battle system was finally fixed in this one to allow you to roll over attacks to the next enemy, instead of having your characters strike at air. The game also introduced a multitude of new airships, the Big Chocobo, summon spells, and Moogles. It's probably my second favorite FF game...

Jiggy

isamu said:

Whoa. It's actually strangely cool to read your user title immediately after this post.

I don't mean that as an insult, but I'm just saying.

Tabris

Dammit I sure do whish that FF3 was being remade in for inferior hardware with muffled 8bit sound instead so that Mr Spazzo Isamu could be happy.

Know what I find funny? The fact you talk about the game being made on GBA would be bad cause it's "inferior hardware", except you have no problem with this game being on DS over PSP, when DS is the "inferior hardware".

Nintendo fans are hypocritical.

I would also like this game on GBASP as a re-done in FF4 graphic style port.

Fuck FFIII:CC:DS

lyre

Tabris said:
Know what I find funny? The fact you talk about the game being made on GBA would be bad cause it's "inferior hardware", except you have no problem with this game being on DS over PSP, when DS is the "inferior hardware".

Nintendo fans are hypocritical.

I would also like this game on GBASP as a re-done in FF4 graphic style port.

Fuck FFIII:CC:DS

If SquareEnix embraced the PSP more, then we would rather have it on PSP, but they don't so DS it is.

But then, why stop there? FFIII remake should be on f*cking Xbox360 OR BUST! :p

jarrod

Banned
I feel a bit weird having the series split between platforms too honestly. Actually, I think I'd have rather had FF3 remade on GBA, then progressively FF4-7 remade on DS. :)

I'm still pissed we never got DQ4-6 on GBA though, we better get them on DS.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Are the people replying positively to that image (such as bumpkin here) engaging in dry humor, or am I the only one getting an 80x160 image?

Its just the thumbnail, go back a few pages to when it was originally posted and click the picture..

bummyhead

Tabris said:

Boo hoo.

Anyway, personally I consder the PSP with it's short battery life, sloppy inprecise thumbstickthingy, and serious lack of good games. (nothing but inferior ports, or sequels to console games) makes it inferior hardware. Just as the N64, despite being more powerfule was in the end (aside from Mario Kart, Mario 64, Zelda and Goldeneye) infeior to the PS1 due to lack of games (including Final Fantasy of course), ditto for gamecube versus PS2.

The PSP is a very flawed system, and despite my early excitmenet isnt even a blip on my radar anymore.

That said, if the tables were turned at DS had been an utter flop and PSP was the system getting all the good games, well I'd complain bitterly about having to get a DS just for Zelda, and I'd own a PSP.

Top Bottom