• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2014: That Classic Taste [now ending]

zashga

Hooray, it's FF5 time again. My "natural" run was fun last year, but I'm going back to normal mode this time around. I missed mixing up job abilities more than I thought I would. Exdeath was a big pain with no healer or shell! Being able to double up on my "good" abilities (time magic and throw) would've made it a lot easier.

Luigi87

My feeling after last year is that Natural is really the least fun FJF option. A big part of the fun for me is figuring out weird little synergies between the jobs I'm stuck with, or how to leverage a limited set of options into beating tricky bosses. With a Natural run though, there's absolutely no synergy since you can't mix and match skills, and your options are so limited that there's not a lot of room for creativity in beating bosses.

Don't think I'll ever do that run again. Just killed the enjoyment, for me.

This is how I feel.
I did 2011 and 2012, then Natural was introduced last year and I tried it, and ended up abandoning my run altogether.

gblues

Banned
Registered. Hope the RNG has been tuned for this go-around, because last year despite registering #regrand my job assignments were as if I'd done #reg and I got bored.

I picked up FFV on iOS at Christmas so I'll be playing that version this year.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really wish I had noticed it was going to be post 100 and just waited to put it on this page.

Brave Blade is fun...but there are other swords around the same level you can get and only Knights in the Fiesta can equip them. Meanwhile there isn't a knife that comes close to the Chicken Knife, almost every class can equip knives, and there's a ton of them out there that can ignore the chance to flee and waste a turn in boss fights.

In the end though I hate to run. It's nice having the option to when I get tired but unless I'm speed running the game I like the challenge the grind presents.

I really wish I had noticed it was going to be post 100 and just waited to put it on this page.

Brave Blade is fun...but there are other swords around the same level you can get and only Knights in the Fiesta can equip them. Meanwhile there isn't a knife that comes close to the Chicken Knife, almost every class can equip knives, and there's a ton of them out there that can ignore the chance to flee and waste a turn in boss fights.

In the end though I hate to run. It's nice having the option to when I get tired but unless I'm speed running the game I like the challenge the grind presents.

Speaking of grind, I've noticed that except at the end of the game, I'm pretty much always around the same level during certain sections no matter how much I did/didn't run or intentionally grind. Most notably, I almost always seem to be 15 at the Library.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Speaking of grind, I've noticed that except at the end of the game, I'm pretty much always around the same level during certain sections no matter how much I did/didn't run or intentionally grind. Most notably, I almost always seem to be 15 at the Library.

The number of times I've been sent back between 5 minutes and an hour because of being 15 in the library has got to be in the 20's. It happened so many times last year I actually ground out the money for flame rings before doing the library one time just to avoid it...and ended up at level 20...

Ourobolus

Banned
The thing that actually annoys me the most about the game is that you can beat almost every boss in the game with clever tricks, but you may need to grind at the very end to have enough HP to survive Almagest.
This, yeah.
Though with lots of careful HP-monitoring and luck, you can beat ExDeath without ever seeing Almagest.

Heck, if you have a Mystic Knight, you can stone the Almagest portion immediately.

Don't even need that if you want to burn your magic lamp, you can turn one magic lamp shoat it, yeah you lose a free bahamut and phoenix but getting rid of one part is usually better anyways.

Ourobolus

Banned
Heck, if you have a Mystic Knight, you can stone the Almagest portion immediately.
Technically if you are REALLY lucky with the Magic Lamp you can get Catoblepas to knock it out, which makes the fight easier.

After that, it's all a matter of HP counting so that you never leave Neo ExDeath with only one part remaining.
Don't even need that if you want to burn your magic lamp, you can turn one magic lamp shoat it, yeah you lose a free bahamut and phoenix but getting rid of one part is usually better anyways.
It's not a 100% chance.
And Phoenix isn't in the lamp.

Heropon

As weak as it looks, another job that does well against Exdeath is the Dancer. You need a bit of luck with the sword dances but if they work the Almagest part dies before killing anyone and thanks to the ribbons Grand Cross is less dangerous than usual. Apart from relying on a bit of luck and needing Golem support I haven't had major problems to beat Exdeath without grinding with a Dancer in my party.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As weak as it looks, another job that does well against Exdeath is the Dancer. You need a bit of luck with the sword dances but if they work the Almagest part dies before killing anyone and thanks to the ribbons Grand Cross is less dangerous than usual. Apart from relying on a bit of luck and needing Golem support I haven't had major problems to beat Exdeath without grinding with a Dancer in my party.

It depends a lot and Dancer is certainly one of the classes that has an hp problem without severe grinding.

Usually I don't suggest people worrying about matching characters with their base stats but I make an exception for Bards and Dancers, they need all the Vitality boost they can get but you can and should focus on the Almagest part with ribbons equipped, Grand Cross's chance of actually killing an entire party equipped with ribbons is practically zero.

LuffyZoro

Yeah, Dancer was actually suprisingly good when I had it. She actually dealt the most damage of anyone in my party.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Technically if you are REALLY lucky with the Magic Lamp you can get Catoblepas to knock it out, which makes the fight easier.

After that, it's all a matter of HP counting so that you never leave Neo ExDeath with only one part remaining.

It's not a 100% chance.
And Phoenix isn't in the lamp.

Definitely "really" lucky, I think I managed to do that on my first run, but on another I attempted several times to stone it to death with the lamp and never succeeded.

Dancer was also my primary physical damage dealer on my first run. What is really fun is when you get a duplicate of your original run, many runs later, when you know the challenge a lot better. My first run was the first time I ever played FFV and despite having solid jobs, I still struggled. Got the same jobs during one run last year, and it was so easy that time.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm sure something was different. Maybe it was lamp Odin getting a part?

I was confused in the iOS thread about Odin - I thought that Odin didn't work, but I was mistaken, since I was summoning Odin, rather than using the Lamp, which only results in Gungnir. You need to use the Lamp to get Zantetsuken on Exdeath.

I got a question or many:

We all play between June 16 and August 31, we can play as many runs as we like?

What if we decide to play a different run without completing the current one?

This is all new to me so I'll be coming to this thread a lot for questions.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I got a question or many:

We all play between June 16 and August 31, we can play as many runs as we like?

What if we decide to play a different run without completing the current one?

This is all new to me so I'll be coming to this thread a lot for questions.

Either hold you head in shame, make a new twitter and go for it or just complete your run.

You're new so you probably don't want to do anything fancy to start with, just do a regular run with no added stipulations. All possible team combinations are beatable under those rules. Don't be afraid to ask for some advice.

Either hold you head in shame, make a new twitter and go for it or just complete your run.

You're new so you probably don't want to do anything fancy to start with, just do a regular run with no added stipulations. All possible team combinations are beatable under those rules. Don't be afraid to ask for some advice.

Alright thank you, I did register as regular so hopefully I enjoy it enough to do more runs

neoemonk

This is one of my favorite things to do every year and it's part of what makes GAF great.

Ok, I'm done gushing. I registered for the FF1 challenge today. Can't wait for this thing to be started proper.

Link Man

Banned
Revenant, have you ever tried to contact Square-Enix about this, perhaps through Twitter?

Edit: Gah, just wasted 4 Phoenix Down trying to kill the T-Rex boss.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Revenant, have you ever tried to contact Square-Enix about this, perhaps through Twitter?

Nah. Perhaps I am being unimaginative but I am not sure what they could really do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was referenced on Retronauts a few weeks back, which was probably recorded sometime in the winter. It's getting bigger every year but some more awareness would never hurt.

I've seen this advised, but it's not advice I like to give. You have to be doubly lucky for it to work, as you have to hope that it targets the right part, and it's not 100% even then. Your chances of getting this to work in any given encounter are slim.

Ourobolus

Banned
I've seen this advised, but it's not advice I like to give. You have to be doubly lucky for it to work, as you have to hope that it targets the right part, and it's not 100% even then. Your chances of getting this to work in any given encounter are slim.

True, but if you don't have some combination of Jump, Aegis Shields, and what not, there's no other way to survive Almagest with under 700HP. Of course you need Shell to even get it down to that level.

But you can get lucky!
ffv28.png

Disclaimer: I don't recommend it, by any stretch. I just hate grinding. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've fought exdeath a lot and besides the times when I have a party that just doesn't have any use for the magic lamp or has a mystic knight I usually try to shoat it. I've had it work...1 time in 20?

antibolo

Banned
I ordered the GBA version from eBay for the fiesta, hope it won't be a bootleg (it's a seller I trust, but still, mistakes happen).

High-profile GBA carts like this one are so fucking bootlegged, it's even worse than Neo-Geo carts. And you definitely don't want a bootleg GBA cart, they fail all the time.

Question for RK:

I #regff1'd but realized it probably wouldn't be very fun. I then went and just did a normal #reg. What run am I locked into? Did my #reg overwrite #regff1?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Despite not really enjoying natural runs for many of the same reasons listed in this thread I actually think the FF1 party going au natural is a great idea, though it does automatically knock Red Mage down a peg and doesn't do Thief any favors the other three classes (and Monk!) are among the best self contained units. What does a Knight need besides 2 handed and its excellent selection of equipment? Monks may tail off at the end of challenges but that doesn't mean they don't have a great toolset on their own and while White and Black Mages would love to share their magic/get barefisted for certain parts/get red x2 for ultimate cheese/or even get certain pieces of heavy armor for some fights/hp +30%/or even mug or artful dodger its not like they exactly need it.

EDIT: I still don't get why Ninja can't join the fray.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Question for RK:

I #regff1'd but realized it probably wouldn't be very fun. I then went and just did a normal #reg. What run am I locked into? Did my #reg overwrite #regff1?

Yeah, it will overwrite the previous run.

Hazmat

I look forward to this all year and get excited when Gilgabot starts popping up on my twitter. I signed up for a random run this time, I've never done that one before. The only classes I've never gotten are Monk, Mystic Knight, and Samurai. Come on Mystic Knight and Samurai!

Top Bottom