• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm genuinely sorry you feel that way, but it increased my hype reading that comment.

That's the exact problem with remaking a monumental game like this. Many want the same battle system while many want a new updated one. Square is kinda screwed either way. Nomura at least makes good ARPGs if they do go that route but that's really all he's ever done so I fully expect that. It'll still probably be good, that was more of a ranting post for a second

I really don't count FFVII has strategy involved since you spam Attack and Limit Break anyway like every FFs (magic and summon sucks in endgame)

You are right but I still like the full control of the party. Also summoning is OP endgame with KotR and W-Summon. Even better when you wanna to take a quick break since it takes forever

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
That's the exact problem with remaking a monumental game like this. Many want the same battle system while many want a new updated one. Square is kinda screwed either way. Nomura at least makes good ARPGs if they do go that route but that's really all he's ever done so I fully expect that. It'll still probably be good, that was more of a ranting post for a second

Yeah, I completely agree with you: this remake is the epitome of gaming's "damned if you do, damned if you don't." Really, this was a big thing of discussion for the fanbase for a long time whenever the question of why it wasn't already in the works was broached.

xg0elme.jpg

Excellent catch.

Sephzilla

A sped up and generally more well animated turn based system with some flashy camera stuff is really the only huge change the FF7 combat system needs. I hope Nomura doesn't try reinventing the wheel.

He's against it happening in the same way that it happened in FF7 where characters would jump back and forth in the same spot. That's why I suggested something like Grandia's battle system. It's still menu driven and you have no direct control over the characters, but it's also constant action and never really feels like you're waiting your turn.

I couldn't agree more. Would people object to them building on XII's battle system at all?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anyone else make this connection yet?
xg0elme.jpg

I figured that was a shot from the support beam/pillar fight just before sector 7 is destroyed, not the 2nd reactor mission.

This area:
Final+Fantasy+VII+screenshot+pillar.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Also the scene with the shinra guards is also from the pillar fight.

Ranger X

Agh, now I am super worried. There's no way he'd actually make it an ARPG, would he?

Nomura is completely nuts so anything is possible at this point. The game might become a train simulator with farming elements. I just don't believe in Squaresoft anymore. The Nomura era has been shit in my point of view, I like nothing they did after FF9. (Battle of FF10 was awesome though)

So yeah, in my wildest dreams I hope the battle is same but just visually different. But reality is that they will think the ATB system + limit breaks + materia system might be outdated. I am preparing to be deceived!!

I'd be upset if they got rid of limit breaks or materia for sure, but that's part of the ability system more than it's the combat system, if that makes any sense. I wouldn't mind if they went with a much more advanced version of ATB, like FFX-2 has. In FFX-2, you still control your full party, but positioning changes during battle (and positioning matters). And regarding the battlefield, the way that FFXII has fights take place on the field screen itself is generally superior for presentation purposes. I totally agree that reflexes-based ARPG combat or otherwise removing control of Cloud's allies would be a really bad decision.

[And for what it's worth, if English isn't your first language, "deceived" means that you were tricked/fooled by a lie, not that you're angry. (trying to be helpful, not rude)]
I couldn't agree more. Would people object to them building on XII's battle system at all?
I'd be okay with the way that battles take place on the field screen and the way you control your positioning. I didn't mind Gambits at all in FFXII and I actually liked tweaking them (and the fact that you can still issue all of the commands yourself if you so choose), but I don't think they'd work for FFVII and abilities granted by Materia. Maybe make it so that if a character's ATB bar has been full for ten seconds and the player hasn't done anything with them, they'll pick their own move (and allow players to make this interval anywhere between 1 second and NEVER EVER), but I'd want the preferred default to be issuing commands to your entire party.

Beth Cyra

Nomura, PLEASE don't fuckin do this. You have no idea how long I have waited for this. You want some differences in the positioning, fine, but DO NOT change the battle system. It doesn't look stupid, it's stylistic! Look at Lost Odyssey.

Agh, now I am super worried. There's no way he'd actually make it an ARPG, would he?
Lol why would he look at a ga,e that barely sold decent and most people don't give a damn about?

Honestly I'm up for whatever he wants to try, be it a more fluid atb like X-2 or an action system similar to KH or Versus so long as he lets us control everyone it's all good for me.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
We really need to let SE know what we want, and know that ignoring what we want will cost them sales.

This is a dream game, a game people have been asking for for 10-15 years.

We really shouldn't just sit back and trust them, we need to make sure they know what we want.

Lightning

Banned
Do you know what I hope they do ? Make the Midgar part of the game bigger and longer. Maybe have Avalanche and co blow up one more reactor so we can visit another sector. Or anything, really. It needs to take longer for the player to leave Midgar. Because that moment is one of the defining moments of my childhood, which is a testament to how powerful it was. If they can build on that by expanding Midgar, it would only make for a better experience. They could also take more time to develop the other members of Avalanche, such as Jessie and Biggs, before their ultimate demise. It would make the destruction of Sector 7 more impactful to the player.
Hell no. Midgar is long enough and one of the most boring sections of the game.

They also better shorten the flash back in Kalm where Cloud first tells his LOOOOOOOOOONG story. That shit is too long.

We really need to let SE know what we want, and know that ignoring what we want will cost them sales.

We really shouldn't just sit back and trust them, we need to make sure they know what we want.

Nomura's gonna do whatever the hell he wants and that's pretty much gonna be the end of that.

Beth Cyra

There is no way to accurately do that.

There are a lot of people who want action, who want turn based, who want OG only, who want Compilation content. They are going to lose sales no matter what way they go.

Shadow780

Worst thing they can do is listen to the fan base.

So uh, if the combat (or other aspects) end up not being to a portion of the fanbase's liking and the game comes out on PC, think some of those passionate fans will make a mod to resemble the original more? Provided it's possible at least.

anything is possible breh

look at E3 2015

True.

At the same time though, E3 2015 has shown the return of traditional/semi-traditional turn-based JRPGs on consoles. Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel, FExSMT. I think it's been shown there's still a market for them, and to even consider Nomura pulling a Lufia 2 on this is a damn scary thought imo.

Yeah I agree there is no way random battles are in.

It's possible they use the Ni No Kuni style where you see the enemies and run into them to initiate combat

Shadow780

listening to the fan base is the reason this even exists though

I get it if it's something mechanical like frame-rate or camera, but creatively on the narrative direction or fundamental systems of this game? They should not listen to a single FF fan out there right now.

Sephzilla

I'd be
pleasantly
surprised if random encounters were still going to be included.

It's possible they use the Ni No Kuni style where you see the enemies and run into them to initiate combat

This is the most logical route

Games shouldn't be made by committee, and the ones that are are usually soulless pieces of shit.

I get it if it's something mechanical like frame-rate or camera, but creatively on the narrative direction or fundamental systems of this game? They should not listen to a single FF fan out there right now.

Letting them do what they want and not checking the pulse of what their customers want is also what led them down the path to some shitty decisions. Obviously you can't pay too much attention and let fans completely rule over development, but putting on blinders and going headstrong into the "we'll give them what we think they want instead of what they actually want" mindset also leads to some bad decisoins too.

I sure as hell would object.

FFXII's is aesthetically MMO-lite and mechanically quite different as well even if you can technically play it like classic ATB (if you want to spend exponentially more time fighting even common enemies). That's probably the only battle system where I'd flat out skip the game.

Gaffi

Honestly I'm up for whatever he wants to try, be it a more fluid atb like X-2 or an action system similar to KH or Versus so long as he lets us control everyone it's all good for me.

Yup I'm in that same boat. I'd love a classic remake but at the same time I trust in Nomura and SE at this point if they decide to try an action route but other playable characters is a must. They know the stakes with doing this remake. It sucks that everyone can't be happy though. I'd love to see both versions as impossible as that may be.

listening to the fan base is the reason this even exists though

The problem with trying to listen to the fanbase is that even the fanbase can't agree on what they want, so you'll get a mishmash of old and new and hybrid systems and components of gameplay that some people like and some hate.

Their best option is to come up with a singular vision for what they want to achieve and believe in it enough not to cave when people complain because it's different

chozen

At the end of the day 7 will be remade in glorious HD.

But no matter the outcome many will be angry about any slight change, complaints will be there rest assured.

Really sad that they will go through the effort to make this only to see people complain.

When this is what you wanted all along.

If this game is an Action rpg, ATB/Turn based on home consoles are basically dead

I sure as hell would object.

FFXII's is aesthetically MMO-lite and mechanically quite different as well even if you can technically play it like classic ATB (if you want to spend exponentially more time fighting even common enemies). That's probably the only battle system where I'd flat out skip the game.
Yeah, this. From what I hear, XII is great, but that battle system turned me off from ever trying the game again.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anyone else feel like as prt of this "new square" we are seeing, they should drop the Enix name and officially rebrand back to Square Soft? That brand had far more good will.

SquareSoft_Logo.gif

Reveirg

If this game is an Action rpg, ATB/Turn based on home consoles are basically dead
Atlus are still keeping them very much alive =)

Anyone else feel like as prt of this "new square" we are seeing, they should drop the Enix name and officially rebrand back to Square Soft? That brand had far more good will.
I've always thought bringing every of their branches, including Eidos, under the Square-Enix umbrella was a mistake.
I get that they wanted the S-E brand recognition, but they should've resurrected the "Squaresoft" brand to identify their classic JRPG portfolio, and kept the Eidos name for those studios' creations!

It would've been a very effective way to keep everybody's expectations in check for every game and announcement.

They should replace FF7's combat system with Chrono Trigger's. Its the only logical upgrade

I'd be totally fine with this, though I'd hope they keep battle transitions as well, even if there are on-screen enemies instead of random encounters. Nothing beats those from a presentation standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom