• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
It's important to all of them to remain as faithful as possible, but at the same time, create a new FF7 for a new generation of fans as well as old, and something which takes advantage of what is available today. This means design changes, execution changes, alterations etc. And because you're not just creating something new, and have to keep in mind a beloved game, the cuts you decide to make, or the changes you decide to do, have to be careful. As time goes on, and more work is done, there'll probably be other changes too. It's also important that the creators create something that they're pleased with because this is a project that's going to take a lot of their investment, time, and effort. It's unfair to not give them a chance to show you their new vivion at least.

Does this mean a shift towards action based gameplay like Squenix has done with modern Final Fantasy games?

Please say "No" :(

BumRush

Nomura was interviewed by IGN IIRC saying he wants to Remake FF5, 6, and 7, if he can, before he's forever done.

I can't wait to see how Bartz and Terra are handled.

Yeah I saw this. Too conceptual for me, lol. I'm sure there's (almost) as much demand for FF6 as there is for FF7, right?

Miang

So when planning began a long time ago, there were several issues. It's a big game, it's very important to Kitase, and obviously Nomura, and fans. There were other issues here, but we'll just skip to the game. You're going to remake this game. Now, people will say that since there's already a story, music, script, that a lot of the work is done. This is wrong. You have a starting point, but this is very much like building a new game. That takes a very long time.

Since there's a huge difference in technology, and this is the remake of a game that exists, you have to go through, and address everything. You have to get the scenes, and then decide what you're going to do with them. Some stuff is pretty clear, and it's mostly about presentation. For example, nothing major storywise is being changed. No one has to worry about that. Cloud is still a nutcase, Aeris is still going to die, Weapons are going to run rampant, the Lifestream, and pretty much every important story moment is going to be present. That's FF7. You can't change that. But because this is a new generation of technology, and it's a proper game, that alone brings changes from a design point of view.

Now you have a balancing act of lots of small things, and lots of major things. Kitase, I can assure you, is someone who is quite involved in making sure they try to stay as faithful as possible. He's someone who worried the most originally about this project, and he's also someone who's heavily involved right now. And the original writer is back with Nomura too, so it's a big thing.

This is really encouraging. Thanks for the info :)

Wazzy

Banned
Interesting stuff from you Verendus and thanks for telling us.

I'm not sure how to feel about the Zack stuff. If it's just making the scene that was optional to players mandatory, I'm okay with that but anything else major added in to tie in CC will be disappointing.

Also I'm hopeful they'll keep snowboarding but it is definitely a horrible part to have right after everything that happens.

Gametrailers did a trailer score for this game and it got a perfect 10/10 from all 3 of them. (they've never done that before).

Such a great teaser, everything about it is amazing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks for all the info, Verendus. It's reassuring to read.

Someone remind me, is there any downside to taking the treasure from Mt Corel from the little birds near the bridge.

Should I leave it for disc 2 or 3?

You Get Love Points With Tifa and Aeris if they're in your party and you leave the nest be after encountering it.

Conduit

Banned
Pretty sure they could secure full console exclusivity if they wanted to, but what's the point? Sure it sounds awesome to say, Yes FF7r is only on the PS4 console, but having it release on the PS4 first automatically eats up the majority of sales.

Maybe not. Let's say game will also come to PC, this automatically means less sales on PS4 cuz some people will wait for PC version ( maybe a million ). If game will be a PS4 exclusive, well, PC owners ( 1 million ) which intending to buy that game for PC will buy PS4 and FF VII Remake instead. That's a 1 million more on PS4.

I honestly think the PS4 can capture more than 90% considering the amount of other JRPGs it's getting compared to the XBO.

I agree with you, I can totally see that being a plausible scenario given the "timed exclusive" nature of FF7r. But I mean, if Square Enix thinks selling 10% or less of the game on the Xbox One is worth it, that's on them and their business decisions.

If Sony feels like they should spend money to make the game full console exclusive that's on them as well.

Honestly I feel like Sony and Square have made the right choice by putting it out on PS4 first, it's a good show of faith for the PS4 and Japanese game development. It's also, hopefully, what Japan needs to get them to purchase their homeland's console. Good on Sony for trying to reignite Japan's enthusiasm for video games on consoles.

Also, thanks for the story Verendus.

Dark_castle

Can't give my word on the crazy Shenmue rumours but the FF VII remake is a real thing. They started production a few months ago and it will be announced this week for a 2017 release.

The Last Guardian is coming back too, Sony PR guys are giving appointments to the press and they plan to release it during the holiday season since Uncharted 4 is delayed until 2016.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167954318&postcount=1376

The poster verified by Y2Kev said 2017 release for FFVII.

NeoXChaos

You've answered your own question there.

None.

FFXV, KH3, then you can start worrying about this and XVI. It's not something they'll rush, and considering where they are now, I'd give Nomura and Kitase a million dollars personally if they make this game for 2017.

That sounds interesting. Well lets hope SE can get all games out within the next 5 years. The wait has been too long.

Why are we talking about XVI. We have enough games that have taken a decade to release. Noctis and Lighting the face of FF for over a decade. It cant be said enough.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'll just tell you some of what I know then. Boring, long post coming.

So when planning began a long time ago, there were several issues. It's a big game, it's very important to Kitase, and obviously Nomura, and fans. There were other issues here, but we'll just skip to the game. You're going to remake this game. Now, people will say that since there's already a story, music, script, that a lot of the work is done. This is wrong. You have a starting point, but this is very much like building a new game. That takes a very long time.

Since there's a huge difference in technology, and this is the remake of a game that exists, you have to go through, and address everything. You have to get the scenes, and then decide what you're going to do with them. Some stuff is pretty clear, and it's mostly about presentation. For example, nothing major storywise is being changed. No one has to worry about that. Cloud is still a nutcase, Aeris is still going to die, Weapons are going to run rampant, the Lifestream, and pretty much every important story moment is going to be present. That's FF7. You can't change that. But because this is a new generation of technology, and it's a proper game, that alone brings changes from a design point of view.

Now you have a balancing act of lots of small things, and lots of major things. Kitase, I can assure you, is someone who is quite involved in making sure they try to stay as faithful as possible. He's someone who worried the most originally about this project, and he's also someone who's heavily involved right now. And the original writer is back with Nomura too, so it's a big thing.

Let's use examples:

They want to integrate Zack more, so how do you do it? In the original, it's very much an optional thing, but that's not as realistic now. You can flesh it out too, but in order to integrate it, it needs to be placed somewhere. This is a technically a script change, but it's not a bad thing. It also takes work.
Characters like Yuffie and Vincent which are optional need to be integrated.
How do you tackle the implied sex scene in this game? This is going to be in the game, but it's another presentation issue. How do you do it this time, over two decades later?
How do you tackle Cloud beating the hell out of Aeris? It was fine then, but this needs to be thought about. It's kind of an important story beat for his character because of what happens next, so do you want to change it? But at the same time, is it something you're comfortable leaving in, or should it be altered a little?
A lot of the side story stuff, can it be integrated better, or will some of it have to be cut?
They need to change up the Junon infiltration a little. Red XIII being in a suit isn't that big of a deal, but the ship aspect needs to be worked on now because you have a parade, which then leads to boarding the ship, and the big boss battle. This area and sequence has to be overhauled. It's a good amount of work.

Everything related to the story needs to be addressed within the confines of the new game, and the presentation of that new game on current technology. This means going through all of that, and seeing how to fit in the important things, what to flesh out, and what to alter. Basically, you're designing everything again. There's something to work with, but it's much like creating something new due to the work it actually involves.

Separate to that, there are a lot of other things. There are a lot of mini-games in FF7, notably the snowboarding game, and also the Chocobo breeding. With the former, it doesn't make as much sense to have it happen like that, so you need to integrate it all again, but at the same time, you can still leave something as a nod for fans. How do you do this? Is it possible to do that? Then there is also the case of some stuff being replaced, and maybe Nomura wanting to add other mini-games.

Basically, it's a lot of work. They have to prioritise major things with minor things, and as time goes on, they'll probably have to do it again depending on the development progress. This doesn't mean they can't show you anything this winter. Far from it. They're at a place right now, where they have a little to show, but it's a big game, and it's still in its infancy. It's not as simple as if they have something to show, then they're really ahead of the game. They're not rushing this.

It's important to all of them to remain as faithful as possible, but at the same time, create a new FF7 for a new generation of fans as well as old, and something which takes advantage of what is available today. This means design changes, execution changes, alterations etc. And because you're not just creating something new, and have to keep in mind a beloved game, the cuts you decide to make, or the changes you decide to do, have to be careful. As time goes on, and more work is done, there'll probably be other changes too. It's also important that the creators create something that they're pleased with because this is a project that's going to take a lot of their investment, time, and effort. It's unfair to not give them a chance to show you their new vivion at least.

This game being announced right now isn't ideal. That wasn't the plan. This time last year, no one was thinking, "Hell yeah, let's announce FF7, and have fans wait a few years again! That's going to be great!"

But the problem is, PS4 isn't doing great in Japan. There are a bunch of issues, FFXV has taken longer than expected, and it's basically a crap situation to be in if I'm frank. So this announcement is there to build some faith, and also try to make people believe that there are a lot of big plans for the PS4. And there is a lot to come, but because of so many issues, it's taken time. Thankfully, since FFXV is around the corner, and KH3 is also progressing well, it's not that bad of a time really. Those games are coming soon, and this announcement happening now, as well as those games releasing should help fans believe more in companies trying their best to get content out there.

It also didn't help that FFXV had a bit of a negative shadow over it with people complaining last year when it was revealed Nomura has been removed, and then again recently when Tabata mentioned the changes. Now people know what Nomura is doing. There doesn't need to be doom and gloom over him leaving. He's busy, he's working on something. Leave him to it.

FFXV, also, can now be focused on as its own entity, and hopefully have people look at it as what it is rather than what they felt it could have been. And this game is actually coming soon, so there's something to be actually be excited for.

Hey, hey.

It's not incompetence. As it stands, things are great for SCE. Game is in development, and it's coming to PS4. Securing a big game isn't that simple. Square Enix also has to take a look at a lot of things, and what makes sense for them at the end of the day, is what's most sensible. Considering how far we are, and the nature of these things, we can amend things in the future, if it makes sense. But regardless of any of that, SCE is going to benefit the most from this game. FF is a Playstation franchise. SCE will get behind this in a huge way, and the marketing campaign for it will be big too. Regardless of whatever ends up being the most sensible option, SCE has already benefitted the most.

Securing big games takes a lot of cash, and simply doing it to appease fans for something as silly as "bragging rights" would be pretty stupid. Depending on what's involved, that support could be provided to bring another game from somewhere. Regardless of any of that, it's coming to PS4 first. That much can be assured. Beyond that, it's mostly SE's decision. But people shouldn't buy too much into the whole it has to be on PS4 only or whatever, in case they end up being disappointed in the future, as if it's some kind of personal offence.

SCE is really happy with things as they are. I see no reason why others need to be upset about it.

Great write up, glad to see they really are planning this carefully.

Side note: excuse me sir, where is your Batista avatar from our TLG bet?

I really want to play six. But I heard the iOS version is shit :(

FF6 was the first RPG I've ever played. As much as I love 7, and think 7 very slightly overshadows 6 in my mind, 6 still holds a really special place in my heart. I own a Japanese Super Famicom cart, the FF3 SNES cart, and I bought FF Anthology upon release. My Retron console bit the dust, but I can still play the Anthology disc in my PS3 or PS2.

I have the iOS version and I enjoy it, personally. I use a wireless controller and take the HDMI out from my Air 2. Yes, the graphical overhaul took me a bit to get used to, but playing it for awhile, I really don't see a problem with it. It looks clean, and bright, and nice.

Verendus you've done my heart much good to read how devoted they are to the framework of the original story and events. That's all I needed to hear, faith restored. Their approach is EXACTLY as the dreams foretold!

Maybe not. Let's say game will also come to PC, this automatically means less sales on PS4 cuz some people will wait for PC version.

First on PS4 so sales are going to be strongest on it automatically.

Unless your telling me millions of people will wait for it to be released on PC? Yeah totally, let's all sit around and wait an unknown amount of time till it's released on PC.

The only time I've ever seen a game sell more after the initial release was RE4, but that's a different story. Gamecube wasn't selling hot. the PS2 release was guaranteed to outsell it. Thank goodness nobodies heads were chopped off.

Lemondish

Some people consider the materia system the best, others the skill system from 9, or the oufit system from X-2. These are all opinions. Calling your preference objective does not make it so. Obviously.

ATB is flawed and it has nothing to do with the materia system. Though, there is the fact that materia does a shit job of scaling so there comes a point where Attack/LBs are a far better use for your time. That is a balance issue, though, and not an issue with the way the combat flows. Standing in a line with little tactical or strategic planning available is old hat and almost every FF since has improved on this. That is fact.

Mendax

how is zack optional? wasnt the whole character of cloud based on him having both his own and zack's memories, personality and whatnot..?

I was really hoping to hear about that at E3 :(

yes me too, counting down the days to TGS now...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Unless your telling me millions of people will wait for it to be released on PC? Yeah totally, let's all sit around and wait an unknown amount of time till it's released on PC.

The only time I've ever seen a game sell more after the initial release was RE4, but that's a different story. Gamecube wasn't selling hot. the PS2 release was guaranteed to outsell it. Thank goodness nobodies heads were chopped off.

Tales of Vesperia on PS3 as well.
It's not unheard of, but it doesn't happen often. RE1 Remake also continues to sell whenever Capcom re-releases it.

Verendus

Banned
Thanks Verendus. I can wait.
EDIT: I love that will integrate zack in the story more.
I like the idea, but I don't think they're intending on sticking to the original depiction of the character. I like the lonely, sudden, and brutal death he has in the original. It's brief, and it makes you think. Not everyone dies like a hero. I don't really like the overly dramatic one he was given later in Crisis Core, which I think is basically terrible. I'm sure the former isn't what's going to be in there though. They're going to add some stuff, and this is one of those things I imagine they're going to add to, rather than just altering it.

All I remember saying to Kitase was that they shouldn't shy away from the harsh things. They're always thinking about what their western fans want, and FF7 has a lot of little moments, which depicted today, would feel a little grim. They need to go for them, and not shy away because they're afraid of how people might react. People will appreciate this more.

All I know is, if Cloud still beats the hell out of Aeris, I'm taking credit for its inclusion.

kuroshiki

Even if it is 3-4 month exclusivity, yeah, fuck it its FF7, ppl will buy console for this shit.

So ppl who were cautious about PS4 now have excuse to buy it. Hell there were few interesting games on that console and now FF7 is coming out? why the fuck not buying that thing lol.

Majmun

FF7r is quite a good investment actually. I'm sure the remake will get many (ultra)HD re-releases for the next and next-next gen systems. It could become a new cash cow.

Miang

I'm not a fan of the Compilation but I thought Zack was the best thing to come out of it and wouldn't mind him having an expanded role.

Primeau31

Maybe not. Let's say game will also come to PC, this automatically means less sales on PS4 cuz some people will wait for PC version ( maybe a million ). If game will be a PS4 exclusive, well, PC owners ( 1 million ) which intending to buy that game for PC will buy PS4 and FF VII Remake instead. That's a 1 million more on PS4.

PC only gamers won't buy a console for one game. not even this one.

my buddy went as far as to borrow a PS4 to play Bloodborne just so he didn't have to buy it.

Tales of Vesperia on PS3 as well.
It's not unheard of, but it doesn't happen often. RE1 Remake also continues to sell whenever Capcom re-releases it.

Thanks that's another great example! It's a great example because it had people in Japan purchase 360s, only for the PS3 version to outsell it a year later.

As for the RE1 Remake, they put that thing out on everything PS3, PS4, 360, X1, and PC. So I would have been worried if it didn't outsell the Gamecube version.

NeoXChaos

First I'd like to see FF12 HD... that's long overdue too...

You will get balthier as a cameo in KH3 and like it. I just hope if they do put him in, they keep his awesome voice actor. XII has fantastic voice acting. Forget world reveals I want to know FF cameo reveals.

Mendax

You say that but they also had Star Ocean, Nier (which was announced too early IMO), KH3, World of FF and FF7. Maybe they felt they in fact had too much.

hmm yeah that's true. If they had to make cuts the new game announcements would probably win over ports/remasters

I like the idea, but I don't think they're intending on sticking to the original depiction of the character. I like the lonely, sudden, and brutal death he has in the original. It's brief, and it makes you think. Not everyone dies like a hero. I don't really like the overly dramatic one he was given later in Crisis Core, which I think is basically terrible. I'm sure the former isn't what's going to be in there though. They're going to add some stuff, and this is one of those things I imagine they're going to add to, rather than just altering it.

All I remember saying to Kitase was that they shouldn't shy away from the harsh things. They're always thinking about what their western fans want, and FF7 has a lot of little moments, which depicted today, would feel a little grim. They need to go for them, and not shy away because they're afraid of how people might react. People will appreciate this more.

All I know is, if Cloud still beats the hell out of Aeris, I'm taking credit for its inclusion.

I'm glad you told him that as it's something I think is important as well.

I really hate how Crisis Core handled Zack's death, way too glorified.

I think the whole point of his death and Aerith's is that they weren't heroic death's, but very sudden and brutal.

They never got to say any last words, there were no speeches, and really didn't end up saving anyone.
Well Aeris technically did save the planet later but we didn't know she would yet

They just died.

will the remake reboot the compilation? Making everthing that came before uncannon?

Meowster

I hope they keep it. Cloud beating Aerith (lol that moment always shocks me) being removed would be like them removing Celes's scene from VI.

will the remake reboot the compilation? Making everthing that came before uncannon?

I hope they remake all of the compilation games, but handled by different developers.

Imagine a remake of Dirge of Cerberus.... Wait!! before you kill me for suggesting that....

... developed by
Naughty Dog

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - Remake.

Synopsis: Vincent must travel the uncharted depths of Midgar and uncover the secrets of Deepground. Joined by his cigar chopping buddy Cid, they venture forth looking to steal Materia with Yuffie, and uncover the hidden past of Shinra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom