• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

I dont want to be a party pooper here, and God knows how much I loved FFVII and how important it was to me as a gamer back then, but I always said since the very start of the rumors for a FFVII remake, that when it will happen it will indicate pretty much the beginning of the end for SE, or to be more precise their last hope of getting back on their feet.

They are doing pretty well without the remake imo. FFXIV is doing well, FFXV and KH3 are coming along and will probably be out by 2018 (lol) they have plenty of western stuff in development, Hitman, Just Cause 3 and Deux Ex. Maybe more we'll see at the press conference.

FFVIIr is just another title for their Japanese branch, one that's people have been asking for, for a long while.

Beginning of the end? lol.

So is this trailer all we have right now?

Getting the vibe they're going for the "real(ish)" look of all the spinoff rubbish, which is a shame. I was kinda hoping for something cel shaded and closer to the portraits

Verger

Banned
This scares me. I don't even know why this is a thing. It's a remake not a re-imagining in which case it should be just an updated version of the game that we all know and love. This is all that anybody wants. Please SE. Do not fuck with it just for the sake of it. That will be more annoying than your FFVII 'reveal' last year.
Yeah, I don't know how they'll manage. I wish they'd just remake it with the same script and forget about all the trashy side stories and fanfics they wrote since then.

But its Nomura, and that is what scares me honestly. I know people were "happy" to see him directing this. But this is mind boggling to me. The guy had to be removed from FF15's development because he was mismanaging it so badly. Why are people excited? He hasn't really made a good game in a while.

pixelation

This was posted in a Kotaku article, a statement sent to them by SE. Makes no mention of other platforms other than PS4.
LOS ANGELES (June 15, 2015) – At Sony Computer Entertainment of America LLC’s (SCEA) E3 press conference today, SQUARE ENIX® announced that it has begun production on the full remake of FINAL FANTASY® VII for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

Leading the development will be key members from the original project, including producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Tetsuya Nomura and scenario writer Kazushige Nojima.

Daffy Duck

Posting this again, since it got buried in the sheer reaction to this even existing:

Does Cloud have an artificial hand now?
That "bracelet/gauntlet" thing looks too slim to actually fit a person's forearm/wrist.

QdPpKP1.png

Could the extent of the experimentation on Cloud be higher for the remake?

That's Barret

Edit: Oh I see a few posts after who you are talking about, yeah it's possibly an arm guard or something.

Lightning

Banned
Double summon materia and knights of the round. The Remake.

I'm shedding tears for real. Emerald weapon, it has been so long...
If S-E don't nurf that summon and the brokenness of some of the materia then they are stupid. 4x cut, Final summon, stupid w-item glitch etc. Really hope they clean the game up.

Great game but needs fixing for a remake.

Do we know how much Nomura is involved? I hope its pretty heavily

Also I think this thing is gonna be pretty big budget. I bet Sony invested quite a bit of cash into helping fund this, the job postings mentioned things like "photo realism" and called it a "global game" and a massive project.

I have a feeling this isn't some cheap remake. I think this is the real deal

Mxrz

I was pondering replaying the game last month. Its the one game in the series I didn't spend much time with. So woo. I'd be okay with a combat swap, too. Maybe find a way to do a classic mode too if so.

So. Any chance this is going to keep everyone else busy after 15, and free up Ito & some of the FF12 team for 16?

Mexen

Oh, man. Still can't believe this.

Last Guardian? check
Shenmue III? Check
FF VII? Check check check!

Already full-blown hyped about MGS V. My body is not ready! notlikethis.gif

What's next?
HL3

Orcastar

foxbeldin

I hope Square enix will clarify the "first on ps4" situation and the possibility of an xbox one release.
I'm not a big fan of PR hidden timed exclusives à la tomb raider.

I could not sleep, what a day yesterday. I'm still on a high, have not felt this way since I first saw Final Fantasy in my 20s, it was the game that introduced me to rpgs and I fell in love with the genre. It was also one of a very select few games that moved me and I reckon once I play this I'm done with gaming. I will be nearly 50 and it will be a great way to bail out. Fallout 4,Xcom 2, Last Guardian , Mass Effect etc i feel like im in gaming heaven today.

Dark_castle

Are they going to take in survey for this? Can't stress enough on how much I want them to keep the original script, disregarding everything Crisis Core, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus related, retain the original ATB battle system while further refining on it, not completely changing it to something else and keep most if not all of the lighthearted sequences of the game. And make it more challenging than the original, just like FFIV DS.

Want to relive my childhood in new, breathtaking visuals and enhanced gameplay systems.

Sorry, I am late in this tread and I can't help myself to ask:

If this FFVII-REMAKE was already confirmed skipping Xbox platform??

At this moment, I don't know if I should keep the tiny hope to see it porting to Xbox One.

The reason I still want to keep my tiny hope is it was announced as "first to PS4" instead of "PS4 exclusive", "console exclusive on PS4" or "exclusive for PS4 & PC" which is like SFV.

As i said in my previous post, I am so jealous and admire all of Sony fans that you can play it on your favorite console. Enjoy this fantastic E3!!

(I hope my above post is not regarded as port begging which violates the rules of GAF. If yes, please warn me and i will delete it. Thanks a lot~!)

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So what do I do with all my hype for this until the release? finish crisis core? replay ff7? Finish the shenmue games? Finish ico?

@windows RT it is a timed exclusive it will be on xb1 probably a few months later

Mendax

Are they going to take in survey for this? Can't stress enough on how much I want them to keep the original script, disregarding everything Crisis Core, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus related, retain the original ATB battle system while further refining on it, not completely changing it to something else and keep most if not all of the lighthearted sequences of the game. And make it more challenging than the original, just like FFIV DS.

Want to relive my childhood in new, breathtaking visuals and enhanced gameplay systems.

Being on a grand adventure with cloud, barret, tifa etc. will be like reliving your childhood regardless of how 1:1 the remake is

At this moment, I don't know if I should keep the tiny hope to see it porting to Xbox One.

The reason I still want to keep my tiny hope is it was announced as "first to PS4" instead of "PS4 exclusive", "console exclusive on PS4" or "exclusive for PS4 & PC" which is like SFV.

As i said in my previous post, I am so jealous and admire all of Sony fans that you can play it on your favorite console. Enjoy this fantastic E3!!

(I hope my above post is not regarded as port begging which violates the rules of GAF. If yes, please warn me and i will delete it. Thanks a lot~!)

FF Type-0 did not sell AT ALL on xbone. If FF15 doesnt magically take off in sales there wont be anymore FF releases on xbone.

That said they probably want to do pc ports because there is at least some market there..

fertygo

I'd also hope that combat is at least faster.

I mean, I had the time to sit through Knights of the round*2 per turn back in 97, but not now.

ATB or not, there's no FF game that slow like that since FFIX anyway, its sounds odd to read this repeated post from you.

Spacejaws

This is a plus one for keeping the combat faithful to the original.

Do not want a Dirge of Cerberus here, if it turns out a half assed Devil May Cry clone I will die of a broken heart.

I'd also hope that combat is at least faster.

I mean, I had the time to sit through Knights of the round*2 per turn back in 97, but not now.

I at least hope they do something new. I don't actually think this game needed a remake per se...the original was pretty fecking epic when I played it 15 years ago (and that is the last time I played it). But with this I hope they build on the foundations of the original. I expect them to stick to turn based combat though. I am interested to see how they make a game of this scope. It is going to have a huge budget, but I think it will sell pretty massively.

god man

ff7 is so fuckin big

Yeah, I think SE are looking at this remake as a chance to grow the brand bigger, like how it was in the PS1 and PS2 days. The hype being generated online, all the fan videos, the huge buzz at E3 from the announcement itself. Many people when they play this, will be playing FF7 for the first time

Edit: You may also mean the actual physical game world itself, in which case yes, that also is gonna be a fucking huge project to remake. Thing thing isn't going to be a small budget at all

KiTA

That's probably what they'll do though. I just don't see them sticking with traditional ATB

No, there's no evidence for this outside of some ARPG fans hoping real loud. FFVII is a traditional ATB RPG and I would be absolutely gobsmacked if they screw the landing here.

SparkTR

The only info on platforms we have comes from GAF insider Kagari, who said this deal is similar to the SF5 one and thus no XBO version. That also has the likelihood for a PC version later on, especially due to the 'first on' comment.

Regardless don't worry about it now. The game's not coming out for like three years, you won't give a shit about it in a few months, and by three years you'll have a completely different mindset and circumstances.

Lazulic

Yeah, I think SE are looking at this remake as a chance to grow the brand bigger, like how it was in the PS1 and PS2 days. The hype being generated online, all the fan videos, the huge buzz at E3 from the announcement itself. Many people when they play this, will be playing FF7 for the first time

Edit: You may also mean the actual physical game world itself, in which case yes, that also is gonna be a fucking huge project to remake. Thing thing isn't going to be a small budget at all

i meant the actual game yes, its a huge investment. of course both is true

I wasn't hyped for this. I know Final Fantasy 7 has many fans and I am one of them but I don't get the hype with it.

Watching the trailer again I hope you can explore More of Midgar, I hope it is a different beast from the original in terms of exploration and hope there is side missions.

I would be hyped once more information comes out for it, but so far its just a Meh from me until more information is known...

Also Come to Xbox like FFXIII... The fallout would be glorious
and save me having to get a PS4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom