• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Doth.... we desire the power?

BLOSSOM, O FALLEN SEEDS

GRANT UNTO US THE POWER OF THE GLORIOUS 'MOTHER OF DESTRUCTION'!

vanderkaum.jpg

As the kids are prone to say, "my face when" Xenogears remake announcement actually happens someday.

As much as I love the original...what would be the point of them spending 10s of millions on the game to basically upgrade the graphics rather than fully remake it? It probably won't be as "faithful" a remake as ResiREMake was but y'know.

I'm ok with them updating the gameplay, but the story needs to be the same. They can flesh it out some, add some more quests, etc. but the core plot and major story arcs need to remain unchaged. FFVII is remembered so fondly for its story and characters.

Hopefully this is going to use Luminous? Surely it is...

Its UE4

Dark_castle

Use FFX-2 ATB system pls, and do little tweak so you can time your attack to "counter" your enemies

I think that would be nice compromise rather than made the game goes total action route

Yup, that'd be great as well. X-2 practically perfected ATB, it was fast, yet retaining the full party control in a turn-based fashion. Attacks can be timed to set up combo and possibly cancel enemy attacks.

Durden77

Incredible. I actually never finished FF7. Got about 9 hours into it. Should I just download it on Steam and play it now? Or should I just hold out for this?

I was going to wait for that PS4 version, but I'm thinking that really might've been just a huge troll becuase it should've been released by now.

... Yeah, they're going to turn it into an ARPG. Right. Because that's what we're all looking for in the most wanted remake in Square Enix history -- them to completely toss out the old game and redo it.

If anything, Nomura directing suggests we won't see this until the PS5 comes out. :p

That's probably what they'll do though. I just don't see them sticking with traditional ATB

burnfout

ok real talk after the hype moments died down a bit:

I don't get the surprise in a "omg anything is possible" way

ever since they showed that CG stuff I thought everyone knew this was their ace up their sleeve, no?

like, I always knew this would happen eventually and I thought we all did. It just seems like a really obvious move rather than a risky / surprising one

isnt it more of a "I can't believe they took this long" rather than "I can't believe this is real" ?

After PSX in december last year I had given up all hope of every seeing this again.

KZObsessed

With the trailer I thought it was gonna be Final Fantasy VII-2 but I can't believe it's official. It was a weird announcement though, very little fanfare, Adam Boyes just seemed to randomly annouced it in the middle of his section. Oh well, probably very early, I wonder if this is why Nomura left Final Fantasy XV project.

What an E3, everyone's drems came true! ;_;

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Incredible. I actually never finished FF7. Got about 9 hours into it. Shpuld I just download it on Steam and play it now? Or should I just hold out for this?

I think I'm going to recommend that people go ahead and play it now whenever this question pops up in the months to come. I'm with those who are predicting that FFVII-R is going to be a reimagining in many key ways, so the experience of the original is totally worth pursuing.

Incredible. I actually never finished FF7. Got about 9 hours into it. Should I just download it on Steam and play it now? Or should I just hold out for this?

I was going to wait for that PS4 version, but I'm thinking that really might've been just a huge troll becuase it should've been released by now.

Play it now, you'll be waiting years for this and you'll appreciate the changes when it does come out.

I'm ok with them updating the gameplay, but the story needs to be the same. They can flesh it out some, add some more quests, etc. but the core plot and major story arcs need to remain unchaged. FFVII is remembered so fondly for its story and characters.

Its UE4

Oh yeah, I doubt they'll change the story massively. At most I see them incorporating stuff from the Ultimania, like making it clear/er that the Sephiroth that moves throughout the game until the Northern Crater is Jenova etc and more about Jenova being a cosmic virus etc...I think it'll be...clarity of the original vision, rather than changing things massively. Stella will obviously replace Aerith (you know that'll be the name) and Kagari will do her VA. Which will make GAF explode.

score01

I thought I read somewhere that they cannot even use the original script of the game because the expanded universe created by all the spin-offs and movies have made the story completely broken?

This is going to be weird.

This scares me. I don't even know why this is a thing. It's a remake not a re-imagining in which case it should be just an updated version of the game that we all know and love. This is all that anybody wants. Please SE. Do not fuck with it just for the sake of it. That will be more annoying than your FFVII 'reveal' last year.

dickroach

20 years will have passed by, I feel like this'll be more of a re-imagining than a straight remake.

I think they're going to add a bunch of new plot points, maybe tying in with CC, and justify it with "we weren't able to make the game we really wanted to make way back then due to hardware constraints and time"

SkylineRKR

The combat being faithful to FFVII would be laughable. Completely static? No way.

This is going to be real time. People want to chop in style with dat Buster Sword, PS1 tech didn't let us. And you know what, I want real time. I already played the original so many times. I want different gameplay, not exactly the same battles and tactics.

Its UE4

Umm I think you are thinking of Shenmue surely? I don't think that was stated anywhere.

fertygo

Yup, that'd be great as well. X-2 practically perfected ATB, it was fast, yet retaining the full party control in a turn-based fashion. Attacks can be timed to set up combo and possibly cancel enemy attacks.

Yup, I want similar stuff so bad.. very fucking crazy S-E never use the system again.

Lulubop

I hope they just speed up the ATB and balance a few things. I wouldn't mind tweaks to Materia but things should be nerfed. Limit breaks, and how you earn new ones as well.

Man, I'm just imagining how everything is going to look and feel. I can't

I think this is going to be a lot more faithful then some of you are letting on. SE KNOWS what people want. This thing is one of the most requested games of the last 10 or so years. And the fact they went out of their way to label this "remake" to me shows they know what they are getting into here.

Now will they update gameplay, dialogue, pacing etc? I'm sure, but I think this will feel a lot more like FF7 then some people do

Umm I think you are thinking of Shenmue surely? I don't think that was stated anywhere.

Its UE4. We know this from the job listings / leaks

The sheer number of environments in this game is going to be a monster to create. Especially if they are turning towns into open environments rather than screen transitions between areas

Would anybody complain if they went pre rendered backgrounds again but with realistic characters and lighting?

Dark_castle

The combat being faithful to FFVII would be laughable. Completely static? No way.

This is going to be real time. People want to chop in style with dat Buster Sword, PS1 tech didn't let us.

You can do that with Dissidia, Crisis Core and Lightning Returns. Leave FFVII be FFVII.

valkyre

I dont want to be a party pooper here, and God knows how much I loved FFVII and how important it was to me as a gamer back then, but I always said since the very start of the rumors for a FFVII remake, that when it will happen it will indicate pretty much the beginning of the end for SE, or to be more precise their last hope of getting back on their feet.

Its like their "Get out of Jail" card...

And while I love FFVII, I dont know if the current minds and attitude of SE are capable of delivering what people expect them to.

Just my 2 cents, I dont intend to fuck up your excitement, just expressing my thoughts.

ubercheez

Locations I'm most excited to see reimagined in HD:

Aeris's Church
Wutai
Crystal Cave (if FFXIII's crystal areas are anything to go by, this should be gorgeous)
And most of all, Gold Saucer!

And while I'm in no matter what they do with it, here's what I'd like:

- Keep the materia system
- Keep the combat system -- ATB, limit breaks, summons, and the classic status effects
- Flesh the Turks out more (there's that whole cell phone game that never left Japan)
- Flesh out the story more in light of the various FF7 addons
- Lots of side quests
- Preserve the mood of the original game -- mostly somber, occasionally playful. Hopefully skipping the crossdressing and hot tub scenes, though.

Mostly, I'm hoping that the remake is still recognizable as FF7 as a game, rather than a whole new game that happens to have FF7 characters in it. But like I said, I'm along for the ride regardless.

Use FFX-2 ATB system pls, and do little tweak so you can time your attack to "counter" your enemies

I think that would be nice compromise rather than made the game goes total action route

That's a fantastic idea.

KlotePino

ok real talk after the hype moments died down a bit:

I don't get the surprise in a "omg anything is possible" way

ever since they showed that CG stuff I thought everyone knew this was their ace up their sleeve, no?

like, I always knew this would happen eventually and I thought we all did. It just seems like a really obvious move rather than a risky / surprising one

isnt it more of a "I can't believe they took this long" rather than "I can't believe this is real" ?

I don't think this was ever in development until recently. I mean they announced a silly PSone port at last year's E3 for god's sake. Paranoid gamers might think this was some elaborate troll but there's really no reason for Square-Enix, Sony or anyone else involved to pull a stunt like that.

max_505

Haven't finished VII yet. I played it a couple of times over the years, but I never went too far in the game (didn't even get to the world map). This remake might just change that.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I dont want to be a party pooper here, and God knows how much I loved FFVII and how important it was to me as a gamer back then, but I always said since the very start of the rumors for a FFVII remake, that when it will happen it will indicate pretty much the beginning of the end for SE, or to be more precise their last hope of getting back on their feet.

Its like their "Get out of Jail" card...

I absolutely understand where you're coming from, but from a financial perspective at least, Square Enix is actually in far better shape now than they were for several years recently.

Zomba13

I would want a battle system similar to 13 but with moving around, taking control of the characters and no paradigm shift.

I'd be ok with anything except that. I don't want the entire game to be played picking Auto-battle and having the game use cure and magic and skills automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom