• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizato

Ordered a PS4 right after I saw this trailer. Now I will have use of my pre-ordered Phantom Pain CE for PS4. This remake cannot come fast enough. It's the first JRPG I've played and I can't wait to play a full fledged remake.

Frillen

Predicting 2018. Ultimately Sony should've spread out the Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and FFVII Remake announcements a bit more. But kinda cool they announced them together :p

Miang

I wonder if Yuffie is gonna be a missable character again.
And wasn't Vincent one too?

I can see them being full party members in the remake. They're considered canon and I seem to remember one of the producers saying they originally were meant to be mandatory characters, but got cut for time.

schlynch

Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

Here you go.

Seriously what is the point in remaking it if everything is going to remain exactly the same?

Am I the only one here who loves the idea of flying around a big open world like the one in XV in the Highwind?

To me FFVII was beloved for its story, setting and characters. Not its mechanics.

Using a connected world instead of the world map is a logical step forward for me, coming with new possibilities of the advanced platforms - same as updated graphics. The whole point of a remake in my opinion. But changing the combat system to real time, or changing other core mechanics like materia isn't. That's more like changing the games identity.

SgtCobra

It'll come to Xbox eventually. If it was a console exclusive then they would have said so. The fact that they said "first on PlayStation" implies it's coming to more than just PC; they're always very particular with their words. But honestly, the more people that get to play it, the better.
I don't know, it can go either way. We know that Square Enix themselves never reveal the PC version of a FF game at the time before said game's release. It didn't happen with Type-0 and it won't happen with FFXV. Saying it's console exclusive would be a direct confirmation of a PC version and Square Enix wants people to double dip.
There are also many factors which make a XB1 version a bit unlikely.

I'd really like an more detailed explanation though, Kyoufu? BruceLeeRoy? Verendus? Where art thou? :p
Perhaps Kagari can bring us some more information later today, she wasn't really sure about it being a SFV situation I think.

Shahadan

Predicting 2018. Ultimately Sony should've spread out the Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 and FFVII Remake announcements a bit more. But kinda cool they announced them together :p

Cheap and easy way to "win e3". Shemue and FFVII are multiple years away. But yeah that was cool.

Rainy Dog

There are going to be a lot of surprised/unhappy people when the actual game is revealed. It's so dated that they're bound to make changes, and graphically speaking I doubt it will have much semblance. Hopefully they can get the balance right.

Just about everything will be changed and updated, there's no doubt about it. More than anything, I just hope they dont fuck the music up though.

Is it confirmed that Uematsu is on board to remake/remaster his own tracks? Didn't see his name in the trailer.

Bluenoser

first of all HYPE!! so excited for this.

second of all, unless i misheard what the cheesy narrator said, it sounded like this was a follow on from 7, rather than a remake?

So the words "Remake" across the screen at the end, followed by Adam Boyes calling it a "remake" did not resonate with you, and you formed the opinion that it's a sequel? Did you even watch it? lol

ChadM

Neo Member
I don't understand gamers (and developers) who think turn based RPGs are no longer relevant, who want to dismiss an entire genre of games. If you don't enjoy them, that's fine... if you simply want to play a glorified action game, there are plenty of "RPGs" that have you covered.

But FF7 needs to remain turn based. As I already pointed out, the original game introduced a whole new generation of gamers to turn based games, no reason the remake can't do the same.

Yeah because there are no mainstream turn-based RPGs with random encounters out there to hook a new young generation of... oh wait

13823.jpg

Honestly, don't give a damn how the combat is. Whether it's turn based or not I'm not in this for details like that. Whether it has turn-based combat, FFXII's combat, FFXV's combat or even FFXIV's combat, I'm in this for the story, the characters, the setting and the boootyfull graphics.

Not saying your opinions and preferences aren't just as valid as mine, but I disagree that this game needs to have any specific combat system to be successful.

Nikokuno

Just about everything will be changed and updated, there's no doubt about it. More than anything, I just hope they dont fuck the music up though.

Is it confirmed that Uematsu is on board to remake/remaster his own tracks? Didn't see his name in the trailer.

Expecting Hamauzu san.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I am so glad that it was Nomura who was shown as the director. The backlash if Toriyama was seen as the director would have been huge :p

I'd love to see his name as director just to see the fan reaction

Let's just say, had that happened, I'd still be awake without sleep at almost eight o'clock in the morning for completely different reasons...!

Kule

first of all HYPE!! so excited for this.

second of all, unless i misheard what the cheesy narrator said, it sounded like this was a follow on from 7, rather than a remake?

The narrator is talking about the players experience of the game and about what's to come and how it's unknown. He's not describing the game events.

Piers

That would have been a fair assumption, but the end of the CG states "REMAKE", and not "SEQUEL" or "Final Fantasy VII-2".

So it is indeed a remake of the original game.

I think it's possible that some elements (and hints?) of a continuation can be snuck in, not necessarily after Sephiroth is defeated.

Mendax

I don't understand gamers (and developers) who think turn based RPGs are no longer relevant, who want to dismiss an entire genre of games. If you don't enjoy them, that's fine... if you simply want to play a glorified action game, there are plenty of "RPGs" that have you covered.

But FF7 needs to remain turn based. As I already pointed out, the original game introduced a whole new generation of gamers to turn based games, no reason the remake can't do the same.

that's the thing; it's not really turn based is it. It is an attempt at active battle through the ATB but due to limitations it's not great. Compare it to the ATB used in FFX-2 years later that actually turned out great.

Turn based is fine too, like persona. But that's not what ff7 was aiming for or what ff7RE will aim for i think.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Honestly, don't give a damn how the combat is. Whether it's turn based or not I'm not in this for details like that. Whether it has turn-based combat, FFXII's combat, FFXV's combat or even FFXIV's combat, I'm in this for the story, the characters, the setting and the boootyfull graphics.

I've decided I like you.

GrayChild

I am so glad that it was Nomura who was shown as the director. The backlash if Toriyama was seen as the director would have been huge :p

I'd love to see his name as director just to see the fan reaction

You know, it's still possible for that to happen. It's enough for the game to be 8 years in development, after which Toriyama to take over Nomura's place and change Cloud with Lightning.

that's the thing; it's not really turn based is it. It is an attempt at active battle through the ATB but due to limitations it's not great. Compare it to the ATB used in FFX-2 years later that actually turned out great.

Turn based is fine too, like persona. But that's not what ff7 was aiming for or what ff7RE will aim for i think.

ATB is still turn based

I don't know, it can go either way. We know that Square Enix themselves never reveal the PC version of a FF game at the time before said game's release. It didn't happen with Type-0 and it won't happen with FFXV. Saying it's console exclusive would be a direct confirmation of a PC version and Square Enix wants people to double dip.
There are also many factors which make a XB1 version a bit unlikely.

I'd really like an more detailed explanation though, Kyoufu? BruceLeeRoy? Verendus? Where art thou? :p
Perhaps Kagari can bring us some more information later today.

Wouldn't be surprised if FFXV was the final test for the series on Xbox.

If it sells like shit there won't be an Xbox version of FFVII.

The modern market will not respond well to a turn based rpg in 2017 guys. For the budget of this game, it needs to sell to people that haven't played the original. It can't pay for itself on nostalgia sales alone. It will need to look impressive to the current generation of young gamers, and that means it will not be turn based.

(I personally wouldn't mind that at all, though)

I can see them being full party members in the remake. They're considered canon and I seem to remember one of the producers saying they originally were meant to be mandatory characters, but got cut for time.

Mm, that doesn't really make sense. Accounting for different dialogues and events when they're in the party versus not would be more complicated compared to just making them straight up non-optional.

What I remember them saying is they wanted the final cinematics to have variations that take account of Yuffie and Vincent as well, but it's too resource intensive. As it stands, they're simply completely absent from the ending.

You know, it's still possible for that to happen. It's enough for the game to be 8 years in development, after which Toriyama to take over Nomura's place and change Cloud with Lightning.
tumblr_m42v0t8A0b1qjemo2o1_400.gif

Worst nightmare ever.

Seriously speaking, Nomura better fucking deliver this time around. He should channel all his inner rage at being let go from FF XV and pour it into making FF VII and getting it released in 2017.

So correct me if I'm wrong but this only leaves Hiroyuki Ito free to do FFXVI right? They don't have anyone else?

There are a lot of people, with or without directorial experience, who could potentially develop FFXVI. Ito is just the most seasoned and obvious person for the job.

Kule

I hope in future promotional material they don't show anything outside of Midgar.. so when we play we'll get to experience that epic feeling all over.

Taruranto

Didn't they retcon Yuffie and Vincent out of the final fight in DoC though.

Aegus

final fantasy 7 IS the story and the characters. A crippled aged gameplay system doesnt make the game.

good guy

I disagree. Final Fantasy 7 to me was more than the some of its parts. Thinking what materia to give to my team, the order of my attacks and whether I could risk using my turn to heal up or attack. The entire atmosphere of the game was produced by the locations. Locations which, if a real time combat system is created, will have to enlarged to a ridiculous extent. The house in Nibelheim will be the size of a military base! No creepy old house with ghosts, but a full blown 5 story building with aircraft hanger sized rooms to fit in the summons, giant enemies, number of enemies etc. It's just absurd when you think about it.

The random encounter system was a necessity. What they can do however it have monsters roaming the areas ala Xenosaga which you can avoid/fight if necessary.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The modern market will not respond well to a turn based rpg in 2017 guys. For the budget of this game, it needs to sell to people that haven't played the original. It can't pay for itself on nostalgia sales alone. It will need to look impressive to the current generation of young gamers, and that means it will not be turn based.

This is my stance to a tee, for the record. Either route is fine for me, and I feel for those who find the very notion of non-ATB deplorable. Because I really don't see it not being more action-based. Profit is the bottom line here.

Miang

Mm, that doesn't really make sense. Accounting for different dialogues and events when they're in the party versus not would be more complicated compared to just making them straight up non-optional.

What I remember them saying is they wanted the final cinematics to have variations that take account of Yuffie and Vincent as well, but it's too resource intensive. As it stands, they're simply completely absent from the ending.

Yeah that makes sense. I am most likely remembering wrong. I have been awake far too long haha.

To those speaking about audience - I truly believe this game will sell regardless of the changes / lack of changes or quality. There is a floor of sales on this game of people who will buy it no matter what, and Square knows this.

They can honestly do whatever they want. I just hope they make it into a great modern game version of the story in that old non-modern game that doesn't play well anymore.

I can't believe this, i really cannot believe this is happening, what is going on at E3? everything that was expected not to be announced is getting announced!

don't even joke! although i bet as an easter egg she'll be in anyway as an NPC or a costume for Aeris (so we can see lightning die)

ConceptX

Because Pokémon is such a bad selling turn based RPG right?

Regardless, FF7 was never truly turn based, unlike FF10.

FiraB

Banned
You know im just waiting for shinji to go on stage tomorrow and say that they are releasing it on ps4, here it is and play footage to the PS1 game. still cant imagine this as real, it just boggles my mind.

Nibel

Can't believe I'm posting in a thread that has "Final Fantasy 7 Remake announced" as a title.
KuGsj.gif

Never played Effu Effu 7, so this is pretty damn great! Trailer was hype.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah because there are no mainstream turn-based RPGs with random encounters out there to hook a new young generation of... oh wait

You're kinda proving my point. This "crippled aged gameplay system" is still quite popular among many gamers.

So basically, you don't care about the gameplay in this video game?

Certain irony there, considering hardcore fans of the series originally complained that FF7 stressed cinematics over gameplay.

Mendax

You're kinda proving my point. This "crippled aged gameplay system" is still quite popular among many gamers.

So basically, you don't care about the gameplay in this video game?

Certain irony there, considering hardcore fans of the series originally complained that FF7 stressed cinematics over gameplay.

that referred to the very slow ATB & broken balance rather than the selecting actions from a menu (which imo doesnt make a game turn-based..)

If Kagari is right and this is a SFV "PS4 and PC" deal with the PS4 release being timed exclusive, then you can assume Sony have invested significantly in the project, in which case you can also assume they will be doing everything they can to run a tight ship and get it out in good time.

Bousf

With Hitman, FFVIIR and World of Final Fantasy out of the way, Square-Enix may be showing some pretty cool stuff in a few hours!!

Maybe Hitman will get a gameplay reveal at their event......I am also expecting Life is Strange to show up, DQH, something KH-HD related, KH3 (PLEASE), FFXII HD (DOUBLE PLEASE) and hopefully some more cool stuff, I can't wait! :D

fertygo

But I think there would be a lot backlash changing something that fundamental about the game, its may does more harm than good for angering your fanbase like that (see DmC)

I still think with these kind of budget and effort, they can made turn-based battle flashy and cinematic as shit if they want, thats what I hoped for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom