• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

Cool. I'm down for it in any case.

Can someone post a full translation?

Not working on my comp today. :-/

Probably not perfect but here's how I understood it.

Interviewer: In addition to Mr. Nomura and Mr. Kitase, Nojima Kazushige is credited in the trailer.
Are you intending to bring up a new story?

Nomura: With Mr. Nojima's name up there, besides new I'd say it means that we are prepared. Final Fantasy VII is special, so just making it look good isn't enough to succeed with this.
The original version is a 1997 product so today the graphics and systems feel like the past. In addition to that we are still supporting VII (the original version) and that is not going to change.

That's why I think that just recreating the graphics isn't going to be enough.

Interviewer: There is something else you want to do besides upgrade it to HD?

Nomura:
Yes that's right. It's a full remake, so I feel that we need to take a different approach. Because we're completely redoing it I'm thinking about interesting/fun things to do.

A brief (211 page) look at the Final Fantasy VII (1997) engine. Recommended reading. http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/gears.pdf

CHpoUziUwAEJnc7.png:large

Miang

This little Nomura interview on destructoid is kind of cute

With Final Fantasy VII being remade, are you more excited to finally remake this, or nervous because of the years of players' built-up expectations?

When I create anything, I feel no pressure for some reason. When the trailer was announced yesterday, I was texting Kazushige Nojima and Yoshinori Kitase, but I sensed that one of them was nervous and it was interesting to me. Seeing the reactions made everything worth it. Nojima said he is very determined to make this after seeing the reaction. I asked “you weren’t sure before that?” Haha. The news of the remake is impacting so many people. I couldn’t sleep last night because my phone was blowing up! So many people are congratulating me that I feel like “Oh wow, maybe I did do something profound here!

The thought of them all texting each other as the trailer was being shown and then seeing people lose their fucking shit..... LOL

Wazzy

Banned
How would ya'll feel about 4 party members instead of just 3?

Hey! I can respect that one.

Cloud and Red XIII are a must. For the third, I always struggle between Vincent, Tifa and Cid.
I personally think all FF's should allow 4 or 5 party members for battle diversity. Would love to have 4 so I could fit Vincent or Yuffie into my party.

He also hopes that the remake will give Japanese gamers a nudge over to PS4, as sales of the new generation of consoles have been low. “There’s more and more titles being introduced for the platform, and we’re hoping that announcing the remake of Final Fantasy 7, it’ll give a boost to people wanting to buy this current generation of console.

Curious if this announcement will have a positive effect on PS4 sales in Japan on the spot.

Turin

Banned
This little Nomura interview on destructoid is kind of cute

The thought of them all texting each other as the trailer was being shown and then seeing people lose their fucking shit..... LOL

Lol. Fantastic. :D

I personally think all FF's should allow 4 or 5 party members for battle diversity. Would love to have 4 so I could fit Vincent or Yuffie into my party.

Yeah. Especially in an FF where you like almost all of the cast. It's a bummer to have to leave out most of them.

GODDAMN Watching the reaction videos to the trailer. Thanks for including them in the OP. Its electrifying.

Is this the redemption of Square Enix?! Wow.
Such a brilliant trailer. The creeping realization of Midgar and the iconic mementos of each character. (I realized it when I saw RedXIII's feather and Aeris' flower). Then the punch in the balls when it says R E M A K E.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So gorgeous. Guys, what if they bring back pre-rendered background? That'd be amazing

I'd be OK with this, Although it would be almost as easy just to do FMV backgrounds a la Baiten Kaitos.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So any news about who's developing it, is Sony actually funding? What? Anything interesting?

KingK

Cloud, Red XIII and Vincent for me. :D

This was my main crew in the game too.

I'm honestly ok with a straight graphics update for the most part (leaving story and battle system largely intact) or more of a re-imagining with new combat and a few story modifications. Either way is fine with me as long as it's good and true to the spirit of the original. I do think I would prefer some form of turn based battle though. I just hope it comes out by 2017...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This is hopefully at least 5 blurays long. Supernova should be its own disc. 4 hour long spell cinematic directed by Kojima.

Oh boy I really hope they do a great, great job of this. Imagine getting all giddy again just like we did 20 years ago at the prospect of it all. It's just going to be magical.

Plus I'm sure it's already been deeply discussed but I've not seen it. The wording of "first on PS4" vs "console debut" is rather different. I mean if this was coming to other consoles later than they'd have used console debut surely? Just sounds like PC will be getting it later if anything.

mrpeabody

Yep :)

People wanting an exact 1:1 remake are going to be disappointed. Personally I'm excited to see how they go about it.

Can't believe I've woken up once again in a universe where FFVII remake exists.

Yes. If he can make it better, make it better.

Easy changes:
- improved translation
- an option to skip combat animations
- eliminate the separate battle field, so you don't go through that transition every time
- reduce random encounters or even see and avoid enemies before battle starts

But they have to keep ATB. Otherwise it's not FF7 anymore.

For the size of the party, maybe they could keep the actual combat to three members, but the rest of the party gains XP and AP also.

Miang

Yes. If he can make it better, make it better.

Easy changes:
- improved translation
- an option to skip combat animations
- eliminate the separate battle field, so you don't go through that transition every time
- reduce random encounters or even see and avoid enemies before battle starts

But when you start talking about removing ATB or changing the number of party members in combat, then it's not quite FF7 anymore.

Really? For me FF7 is iconic because of the characters, atmosphere, setting and story, not ATB. I do like the ATB system but I'd be happy with a revamped version (tho personally I don't want full ARPG, but I'd still play the fuck out of it anyway).

This is hopefully at least 5 blurays long. Supernova should be its own disc. 4 hour long spell cinematic directed by Kojima.

I don't care how little sense that attack makes, it better be in the remake. This and the summon animations they really must not fuck up.

(First on PS4)

^ That's enough confirmation for me.

A timed exclusive would suggest only a moneyhat, a console exclusive a la SFV would suggest Sony is a major partner in the project financially.

Only the PS4 logo has been used in the marketing material so far and there was no mention of it coming to Xbone at MS, Square or on the show floor or in interviews so... If it is a marketing moneyhat it's a pretty disingenuous one. Hopefully Sony are part of the planning/initial funding process because we might see the game released before 2035 if so.

If it's moneyhatting, then I guess this is the first time I'm okay with that. I wont complain. It's fucking FF VII for gods sake. They could have robbed a kindergarten to fund it and I'd still be okay with it...

Wookieomg

My favorite game of all time finally being remade.. What a ride this E3 has been. I'm still emotional. Watching those reaction videos made me tear up all over again. Wonderful time to be a gamer! :')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom