• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

Kikujiro

Guys... the original is like 10 seconds. How could it not be changed?

If you put that in the modern game, it would feel far too brief for the spectacle at hand.

They need a new opening with far far more meat to it. I personally hope it includes elements from the zoom out/zoom in original, but it should be massively expanded.

The bombing mission is the actual opening, that's where the meat is. The 10 second zoom out zoom in is an absolutely perfect introduction and should not be touched.

daniels

- Some parts in the Compilation that have been difficult to understand will be connected better in the Remake.

Lol no thanks.
I hope this crap that has nothing to do with the original and comes from low quality past attempts at milking the FF7 fanbase will be kept at minimum.

But please tell me again how the original is just too big and awesome for one game and that it is out of necessity (not milking fans) to split it up in multiple games.

Haganeren

Lol no thanks.
I hope this crap that has nothing to do with the original and comes from low quality past attempts at milking the FF7 fanbase will be kept at minimum.

But please tell me again how the original is just too big and awesome for one game and that it is out of necessity (not milking fans) to split it up in multiple games.

Well, between making Midgar assets, using them again and again to create other part of midgar, making slight reference to other low quality FFVII works in the process AND making the whole FFVII game with all its situations, all its environnement, all its twists, there is a huge difference.

The first one is economical and permit Square to make a long game for less asset than the second one.

Of course they will do that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Lol no thanks.

What a ridiculous post.

I hope you weren't expecting them to just ignore the compilation? Its as much apart of FF7 as anything. Regardless of whether or not you like it.

Nojima himself wrote it, so going back to FF7, why would you even think he would discard it? There would be no point in having made it then.

Going back and connecting FF7 to compilation more finely makes perfect sense, and mirrors what the remake of Ratchet and Clank is doing, connecting the games lore to the future games.

Haganeren

What a ridiculous post.

I hope you weren't expecting them to just ignore the compilation? Its as much apart of FF7 as anything. Regardless of whether or not you like it.

Nojima himself wrote it, so going back to FF7, why would you even think he would discard it? There would be no point in having made it then.

Well, i can't blame him as i still would like the same thing myself. Having Genesis buried for eternity would be the best outcome to me....

Inuhanyou

Well, i can't blame him as i still would like the same thing myself. Having Genesis buried for eternity would be the best outcome to me....

Well, for this remake/reimagining whatever, its gonna be tied to compilation. Whatever that means is up for debate, but i'd assume they played Crisis core before writing the scenario for this game.

I can only hope this means for best girl cissnei to show up at some point in full HD

Falk

that puzzling face
Gonna need more info on this, but it will likely be another punch in the gut.

Yeah, "different from party cooperation" likely means the party refuses to cooperate at all throughout the entire game. Barret complaining nonstop that Red XIII smells funny, Tifa bearing a years-old grudge about Cloud stealing her underwear, Tsundere Aerith, etc.

FF7r confirmed for super emo remake.

daniels

I hope you weren't expecting them to just ignore the compilation?
Going back and connecting FF7 to compilation more finely makes perfect sense, and mirrors what the remake of Ratchet and Clank is doing, connecting the games lore to the future games.

Of course thats what i was expecting because its a remake of FF7.
Don t get me wrong if they keep the compilation/fanfic stuff that was not in the original game at a minimum i can ignore/live with it no problem.
Also i dont think many people had the crappy compilation in mind when they screamed for a FINAL FANTASY 7 remake for years.

Ideally I'd like FFVII remake to have an option for the ATB system and this new FFXV type action system, I've always been a big fan of the ATB system, I'd like to play the new system but I'd like to have the old system there too just to have with the new graphics and VO.

I'm also wondering what the price is going to be, if it's 3 parts at 60... that's too much but I really don't see it being 20 per part which is ideal, since it's three parts of one game but with comments that supposedly each part is the size of a "full game" (which by the way is a very hollow word with no real definition) I just feel this might be milked past what my hype will allow me to spend lol

Inuhanyou

Of course thats what i was expecting because its a remake of FF7.
Don t get me wrong if they keep the compilation/fanfic stuff that was not in the original game at a minimum i can ignore/live with it no problem.
Also i dont think many people had the crappy compilation in mind when they screamed for a FINAL FANTASY 7 remake for years.

Hey guess what, nobody who is making the game cares about what fans scream about on a daily basis. Which is a good thing. They'd never be able to make anything otherwise.

FF7 is far more than the original game at this point in time, with more expansions written by the team than back in 1997, and this project to begin with is not the original game.

If you can't deal with that, go back to the original game and pretend this project never existed. Whether or not certain fans like or dislike the compilation is irrelevant to the game they are making.

I
I'm also wondering what the price is going to be, if it's 3 parts at 60... that's too much but I really don't see it being 20 per part which is ideal, since it's three parts of one game but with comments that supposedly each part is the size of a "full game" (which by the way is a very hollow word with no real definition) I just feel this might be milked past what my hype will allow me to spend lol

Its not "separate parts of one game" Its 'different games across a saga named FF7 Remake', from my understanding

Its not "separate parts of one game" Its 'different games across a saga named FF7 Remake', from my understanding

:\ Then it's not a remake, it's a FFVII that includes the expanded universe stories, but most fans never wanted that. The old story had a few gaps that could be filled in, like Final Fantasy IV DS remake had, but just make sequels that focus on those new stories, I would see 60 dollar base remake game being one part with parts two and three being remakes of Advent Children's events in game form, and the Vincent/Turks stories.

I also heard there were books in Japan, if they wanted to include that into the second and third parts to make them filled with content, I'd be happy, and full price might be a bit more reasonable.

Dark_castle

What a ridiculous post.

Because story-wise, Crisis Core, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus are all garbage. Not sure about Before Crisis. The more they stick to the original material, maybe slight expansion on the existing characters, the better.

Turin

Banned
We don't know exactly how they'll be incorporating the Compilation stuff.

Obviously, we're going to learn more about nearly everyone in the story so they're going to cover ground that the Compilation covered no matter what.

I assume they'll revise every aspect of the Compilation before injecting it into the overall story. I hope so anyway.....

Comet

Because story-wise, Crisis Core, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus are all garbage. Not sure about Before Crisis. The more they stick to the original material, maybe slight expansion on the existing characters, the better.
Outside of Genesis, Crisis Core's story was pretty solid and adds a lot to FFVII. But I'll agree that Advent Children's and Dirge's stories were just filler and not compelling whatsoever.

Two Words

Guys... the original is like 10 seconds. How could it not be changed?

If you put that in the modern game, it would feel far too brief for the spectacle at hand.

They need a new opening with far far more meat to it. I personally hope it includes elements from the zoom out/zoom in original, but it should be massively expanded.
The FFVII intro is so great because the game just moved. No long introduction. No monologue. No lengthy tutorial. It succeeded to say "This isn't like the other Final Fantasy games" in under 60 seconds and get you playing.

Demise

Outside of Genesis, Crisis Core's story was pretty solid and adds a lot to FFVII.

Zack may be one of the greatest character of all time. Mainly because unlike other FF main characters, he's not tortured or anything, he's just kind, caring, kind-hearted and nice overall. A true friend and a great person with really bad luck. He's not even that gifted or the chosen one, he's just a hard-worker.

I did not like Crisis core, but that's the first thing I noticed about him. He's everything Cloud isn't, in a good way.

Eylos

Banned
Zack may be one of the greatest character of all time. Mainly because unlike other FF main characters, he's not tortured or anything, he's just kind, caring, kind-hearted and nice overall. A true friend and a great person with really bad luck. He's not even that gifted or the chosen one, he's just a hard-worker.

I did not like Crisis core, but that's the first thing I noticed about him. He's everything Cloud isn't, in a good way.

marry me

Inuhanyou

Wow, so what in the world are you? Are you beyond fandom or something?

No, i would say i'm glad they don't care about the fandom's incessant crying about whatever. They are making the game they want to make with the previous compilation materials they have made, with the battle system they want to use.

I'm glad they are doing so. Whatever they did was going to have controversy anyway, so doing what everyone should have logically expected them to do(adapt compilation material into the story, make battle system more dynamic, up graphics and world density ect) isn't even something i bat an eyelash at.

Which is entirely subjective. I know tons of people who really liked Crisis Core's story, and Advent Children, and Dirge's story, although the gameplay was crap.

I don't even think people's subjective opinions about the expanded material matters. As said before, they were obviously going to include it regardless of whether or not you personally liked it, so take it or leave it like that.

The opening is iconic and all but yeah... that should be the first thing you change to get he point across that this isnt just a 1:1 remake.

Probably still keep bits of it in there but dont do it the same.

And other then Genesis I dont think there is a lot from Crisis Core that actually ruined anything. If they can talk around Genesis or better yet, just pretend he didnt happen I am ok with that.

I dont remember him having a lot to do with Cloud so maybe they can just talk around him.

Replayiny CC is on my to do list.

Having just replayed the (optional) scene in the original
I could see them expanding on what happened from after the Nibelheim incident to Zack dying outside Midgar, making it explicit that that is when Hojo experimented on Cloud and gave him Mako eyes. Maybe even insert a remake of the entire section from Crisis Core with a playable Zack.

Ishida

Banned
Ooooh c'mon Nomura... I'm open to changes, but the opening scene...? One of the most iconic events in video game history? PLEASE leave that one as it is....

Ooooh c'mon Nomura... I'm open to changes, but the opening scene...? One of the most iconic events in video game history? PLEASE leave that one as it is....

Agreed 210%

The opening to FFVII is as ionic and well-known as the Mona Lisa, or the statue of David - and you don't hear about anyone making changes to those.

Yokai

Art restoration is a thing, actually.

Here's what people are worried about.

paint-destroyed7.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I just want full on orchestrated remasters of all the music, specifically Cid's Theme (which will probably be in FFVII part 2, 3, 8 or 25)

ZenTzen

No, i would say i'm glad they don't care about the fandom's incessant crying about whatever. They are making the game they want to make with the previous compilation materials they have made, with the battle system they want to use.

I'm glad they are doing so. Whatever they did was going to have controversy anyway, so doing what everyone should have logically expected them to do(adapt compilation material into the story, make battle system more dynamic, up graphics and world density ect) isn't even something i bat an eyelash at.

Which is entirely subjective. I know tons of people who really liked Crisis Core's story, and Advent Children, and Dirge's story, although the gameplay was crap.

I don't even think people's subjective opinions about the expanded material matters. As said before, they were obviously going to include it regardless of whether or not you personally liked it, so take it or leave it like that.

I'm fine with some of the compilation stuff being adapted, like expanding on Zack and Vincent, yuffie too, i just really wish they never touch on Genesis again, i dont want to see his stupid face plastered in iconic FF7 scenes ever again, just to up his importance and "dumbing down" sephiroths fall, another one i dread is if they adapt CCs garbage ending, with the EPIC BATTLE and final speech bull it had going, it would feel so much more tragic seeing a fully realized original death scene, even that one has room for more like showing Zack dispatching the grunts before his death

Heh, I need an art 'restoration' picture with Cloud.

Oh, man, Nomura, not the opening!

Some bits of the Compilation being added in could be okay-ish. Veld, and all the various Turks additions were great. The other members of Shinra, Lazard, Kunsel, etc, also made the world feel a bit bigger without detracting anything from the original story. I liked Angeal, it was just that his plot (and Genesis') took away some of the original heartbreak/horror of Sephiroth's breakdown. That was my complaint with CC in general, really - CC turned aspects of Cloud into a rehash of Zack, and some of Sephiroth's breakdown turned out to be rehash Genesis/Angeal had already been through. I could also use 100% less word usage of hero-hero-hero-hero-hero/goddess-goddess-goddess-goddess-goddess-goddess. Urrrrrgh.

Deep Ground Soldier could not be too obnoxious, if they're just mentioned as a rumor. There were women in DGS, too, in comparison to SOLDIER. It'd be interesting to see if they did a retcon, or left it as is.

Inuhanyou

^ Cloud being somewhat a rehash of Zack is kinda the point, since their memories overlap in Cloud's head. Especially it makes sense with Aerith and why she was attracted to Cloud, she remarks about that in the original game.

Compilation stuff in? Can't wait for Sephiroth and Genesis jumping over buildings.
Story confirmed to be shit.

Seophiroth killed a 20 foot tall giant snake with ease in the original game. I don't think jumping over a building or two even is out of character with the superhuman nature of the characters.

Tifa who is supposed to be a normal human beats the crap out of all types of monsters with her bare hands and fights gods.

If anything, the superhuman abilities displayed in AC and CC and Dirge are far more true to the original game than trying to apply normal human limitations on everybody.

ZenTzen

^ Cloud being somewhat a rehash of Zack is kinda the point, since their memories overlap in Cloud's head. Especially it makes sense with Aerith and why she was attracted to Cloud, she remarks about that in the original game..

what i think hes referencing isnt cloud being a Zack rehash, its the whole Zack did this thing first, like the falling through the church for example, this was a unique moment cloud had that SE made Zack do first, and they went and called it an homage to the original, which i call bull on that one

and Aerith wasnt attracted to Cloud just because of Zack, not only because of their contrasting personalities, but because the scene she makes a reference about Zack, she says she was bothered by how the way he walks and gestures being similar to Zacks, but that hes different and that things are different

also, cloud never took Zacks personality in the game, and his whole fake persona are based on other factors, as in, tifas memory of cloud, clouds ideal self, clouds own personality, and cloud memories of Zack and superimposing himself into Zacks place

Top Bottom