• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Producer Promises Later Episodes Will Come Faster.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So is each part going to be it’s own $60 stand alone release then? Like a final fantasy VII-2? Weird decision considering we’re about to get new consoles, you’d think they’d push it back a little to coincide with the new console releases

Why wouldnt they be $60 each? I have no problem spending $180-$300 for the complete FF7 Remaster if they maintain the quality they just showed us at e3.

Ar¢tos

When the final episode releases:
tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense. Getting the characters and animation done, building and refining the combat etc takes a ton of time. No way future ones will take as long. But I wouldn’t expect them super fast either as it’s still a lot of assets and locations to produce, enemies to create and animate and dialogue to rewrite and record.

E.T. Waifu

But a couple days ago they literally said that the later episodes' development time wouldn't be much different than the first's.

johntown

Banned
I will try the first episode for sure but this so called extra content better be worth it. If it is just a bunch of extra CGI cutscenes then I will be highly disappointed (I only suspect that because of 2 blu ray discs).

While it is nice to have them come faster I am not really sure how to take that? Does that mean they will be rushing it? I don't want to wait 20 years to play through the whole game.

All I really wanted was a remake of the original story. I don't need new or extra parts added to the story.

DoomslayerJones

Neo Member
Why wouldnt they be $60 each? I have no problem spending $180-$300 for the complete FF7 Remaster if they maintain the quality they just showed us at e3.
Oh yeah i have no problem with that at all, just weird to me considering that games that went the episodic route these days are usually released as DLC, but I’m totally down for it

odd_hatch

Then development should fit that cost. It's not my problem Square Enix can't manage their company for shit.
I would gladly pay 200€ for a game if it was as good as the price. Hell, I would pay 500€ for some super detailed open-world space project where you can travel between planets seamlessly.

But for 50€ you'll only get what you see nowadays. Microtransaction filled nothing burgers.

Because, believe it or not, actual people with families to feed work there. Hundreds of them.

StormCell

I'm beginning to think of these less as episodes and more like individual games in a planned series. At least it will make more sense when we finish with Midgar and feel like we have a two year wait for the next piece.

Frankly, the only way it's going to make sense, really, is if each episode is a sort of self-contained story that's still part of a greater arc.

I can be interested as long as I don't feel like I'm waiting for the rest of a game to arrive.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I believe it.

There's a lot of planning during the early development years.. Character design, combat mechanics etc. and I think now that they have this out of the way, the other episodes will come faster.

Max was on stream last night, and he was talking about how they were going for somewhat of a realistic look during the early development stages, something they won't have to worry about while moving on to episode 2, 3 etc.

I liken this to Final Fantasy 13 series and the expansions.

Arkage

Banned
Episode 1 took 5 years, the others will take 3.

I'm thinking two years, at least I hope so. And it's still going to be weird waiting even that long for the next part of a single game.

Also if just Midgar is two bluerays of content, I can't imagine what the full size of the game will be. 200-300Gigs? Ugh.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I would gladly pay 200€ for a game if it was as good as the price. Hell, I would pay 500€ for some super detailed open-world space project where you can travel between planets seamlessly.

But for 50€ you'll only get what you see nowadays. Microtransaction filled nothing burgers.

Because, believe it or not, actual people with families to feed work there. Hundreds of them.

Yeah maybe therefore they should not spend hundreds of millions to recreate this game and be more efficient in their business

Pagusas

Elden Member
My primary concern is still the thought that none of these games will connect gameplay wise. Like will levels, equipment, items and all that transfer between games? Or are they going to force us to start fresh everytime. Part of the greatness of ff7 was leveling up throughout the game, getting new limit breaks, leveling up your matteria, and turning your characters into power houses. It’ll feel really silly if by the end of Midgar Cloud is kicking ass and high leveled, then game 2 has him back to baseline again.

Like how can they plan out level and power progression if they don’t even know how many games it’s going to be?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif

Yeah why not just release a new Halo every other month as well? We've waited long enough after all :p
Halo isn’t episodic? FF7 Remake is episodic so I don’t know what you’re on exactly. It’s not like every episode is a new game...

stickkidsam

Halo isn’t episodic? FF7 Remake is episodic so I don’t know what you’re on exactly. It’s not like every episode is a new game...
Every episode IS a new game. It sounds like you're thinking of the FFVII Remake as a string of Telltale style games that are a few hours each.

What Square is doing is releasing the remake in parts as multiple full length games (e.g. 40+ hours of content). Each game will be able to stand on its own as a complete experience within the overarching narrative of FFVII. Essentially they're structuring the story like the Lord of Rings instead of it being The Hobbit (the books that is).

A multi part Remake with each game being full length has been confirmed as their goal from the start. Hope this helps.

Technically Halo is episodic, but that's a different discussion ;p

LuniRPG

My best guess is that they are going to plan to release another installation of the remake every 2 years after the first.

Part 1 - Midgar (2020)
Part 2 - Kalm to Cosmo Canyon (2022)
Part 3 - Nibelheim to Temple of the Ancients (2024)
Part 4 - Great Glacier to WEAPONS (2026)
Part 5 - Raid on Midgar to End of Game (2028)

Something like that.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Midgar is a big chunk of the game. Most other towns are far smaller and have less to do in them and are there for story bits. Also you return to Midgar later on so they will be able to reuse a lot of assets for that.

Yeah I’m fine with it. It’s not like bitching about it is going to change anything. People are doing these weird scaling up exercises pretending Midgar was only a tiny slice of the game so they can flip out about a 10 disc game. They could easily do it in 3 parts. Disc 3 didn’t event have much on it but the final dungeon.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Makes sense. Getting the characters and animation done, building and refining the combat etc takes a ton of time. No way future ones will take as long. But I wouldn’t expect them super fast either as it’s still a lot of assets and locations to produce, enemies to create and animate and dialogue to rewrite and record.
Midgar is a big chunk of the game. Most other towns are far smaller and have less to do in them and are there for story bits. Also you return to Midgar later on so they will be able to reuse a lot of assets for that.

Yeah I’m fine with it. It’s not like bitching about it is going to change anything. People are doing these weird scaling up exercises pretending Midgar was only a tiny slice of the game so they can flip out about a 10 disc game. They could easily do it in 3 parts. Disc 3 didn’t event have much on it but the final dungeon.

Yeah I agree with both of these takes. Part 1 is a good foundation with alot of the slog like battle mechanics and balancing out of the way. Junon is the biggest city you visit at least until cosmo canyon. I just hope they dont over think the over world and get stuck designing it forever.

I am sure my grandchildren will enjoy part 2.

I will leave them my save game from part 1 in my will.

Oh shit. Now that’s funny! :messenger_savoring:

Seriously, though. I hope we don’t have to wait a long time to get the complete series of games. That would suck.

D.Final

Banned
For me, the development of the next episode is likely to be faster.
For at least 2/3 reasons:

1- the battle system is ready.
Just apply it to the next characters, and it's done.

2- the biggest city of the game, Midgard, has already been built.
The remaining towns of the game, including the Gold Saucer, is considerably smaller than all of Midgard.

Which will make the construction work of the probable openworld much easier to manage.

For the rest, there will be a truly very convincing, and realistic, open world that includes the possibility of being able to visit many places, many cities and many dungeons.

If they can do this already from the second part, then most of the Remake work will already be done.
(since it will be enough to apply this work also to the following parts)
[probably always using the Unreal Engine 4]

Last edited:

base

Banned
For me, the development of the next episode is likely to be faster.
For at least 2/3 reasons:

1- the battle system is ready.
Just apply it to the next characters, and it's done.

2- the biggest city of the game, Midgard, has already been built.
The remaining towns of the game, including the Gold Saugers, is considerably smaller than all of Midgard.

Which will make the construction work of the probable openworld much easier to manage.

For the rest, there will be a truly very convincing, and realistic, open world that includes the possibility of being able to visit many places, many cities and many dungeons.

If they can do this already from the second part, then most of the Remake work will already be done.
(since it will be enough to apply this work also to the following parts)
[probably always using the Unreal Engine 4]
Most things are ready and Midgar is the biggest city but still remaking cities like Junon should take a while.

My bet is 2022.

BruceCM

Midgar is the biggest but overworld, dungeons & other places still need doing .... Then, the story needs rewriting for it all & everything :D

D.Final

Banned
Most things are ready and Midgar is the biggest city but still remaking cities like Junon should take a while.

My bet is 2022.

I also think it will be between late 2021 and early 2022.
And that will have as its conclusion the events that will happen in the city of the ancients.

[I made this conclusion estimate for 2 factors, mainly:

The first reason is that the first part (Midgard) includes about 9 bosses in the story.
And to get to the end of the events of the first CD, there are about 9 other bosses left in the story.

The second reason is that, once a vast and freely explored open world has been realized, the scale with which it must be realized is giant.
Because it will have to include 3 continents.
(made with a technical and graphic detail, at least, equal to the openworld of Horizon Zero Dawn)

For this reason, once realized, the bulk of the Remake work will be substantially completed.

Making the arrival of the third, and probably, last part even faster.]

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd be surprised if the overworld wasn't in this game, likely as an endgame area. They are promising an amount of content comparable to a normal FF, so I cant imagine it being desirable to set that all within the city.

Point is, they need to make it a standalone experience to draw in new players, so giving people an overworld to tool about in after escaping seems like a good idea.

D.Final

Banned
I'd be surprised if the overworld wasn't in this game, likely as an endgame area. They are promising an amount of content comparable to a normal FF, so I cant imagine it being desirable to set that all within the city.

Point is, they need to make it a standalone experience to draw in new players, so giving people an overworld to tool about in after escaping seems like a good idea.

I think the whole game of Final Fantasy VII Remake (part 1) will have a total exploration map of Midgard.

This implies that all 12 sectors of the Midgard mako reactors will probably be explorable.
And what better way to go from one sector to another, if not with a motorcycle.
(or even by train)

SsTh6Zj.gif

I am almost certain that the bike will be one of the main means of transport of the game, to visit areas and sectors of the game.
(and all Avalances will probably use it)

So, they will create a solution that, during the last events of the Midgard escape, will give you the possibility to play all the secondary ones that the game will offer you.
(or something after the events of the escape, but I don't think)

Midgard will probably be treated as a big city literally openworld, with history, dungeons, events, missions, and many new events for its universe.
In addition, of course, to all the events of the classic original story.

Last edited:

Bkdk

So this will be the final fantasy 16 for SE, I think there will be quite a lot of story additions, changes and wouldn’t be surprised if they rename the game to final fantasy 16 in later episodes in the ff7 universe with story additions and new protagonist. Could be a good idea as creating a entirely new world can be very costly and risky and having a numbered sequel in the ff7 universe is a much safer idea for both the devs and easier for fans to get into.

sublimit

Banned
This sounds more like PR damage control after they admitted they have no clue of how many episodes this thing will end up. To me this already shows signs of bad management and bad planning and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that this whole project will progress out smoothly in terms of development and business decisions.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I just don't understand how character progression is going to work. I mean you must be able to start Final Fantasy 7 part 2 without playing part 1 if they are separate games. I don't understand at all how this can be achieved aside from starting again at level 1 in each game.

Sorcerer

If this is a very long term plan, it seems kinda silly to release it for PS4, why not start it on PS5 or whatever next gen console and have it start and end there or would production have to be completey upended to do such a thing?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Tim Rogers recently did a full translation of the game and has said the Midgar related text is roughly a third of the game

Pagusas

Elden Member
I also think it will be between late 2021 and early 2022.
And that will have as its conclusion the events that will happen in the city of the ancients.

[I made this conclusion estimate for 2 factors, mainly:

The first reason is that the first part (Midgard) includes about 9 bosses in the story.
And to get to the end of the events of the first CD, there are about 9 other bosses left in the story.

The second reason is that, once a vast and freely explored open world has been realized, the scale with which it must be realized is giant.
Because it will have to include 3 continents.
(made with a technical and graphic detail, at least, equal to the openworld of Horizon Zero Dawn)

For this reason, once realized, the bulk of the Remake work will be substantially completed.

Making the arrival of the third, and probably, last part even faster.]

The lucky thing for them if they go that plan is the Highwind wouldn’t be introduced for use until part 3, leaving a unique gameplay element that makes each part unique. Part 1 - linear-ish city with hubs, Part 2 - walkable and drivable open world that’s sectioned off. Part 3 - fully exportable and flyable open world.

I really think part 2 should end at the Northern crater explosion with the Weapons coming out, meteor being summoned and the whole crew under arrest. It’s the perfect “empire strikes back” climax for a part 2 leading strait into the final section of the story.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope FFXVI comes in between FFVII Part 1 and FFVII Part 2... minus the long waits.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm surprised no one has asked Kitase or Nomura whether or not Midgar will be open world or sandbox. Considering the entire game will take place there.

Maybe I missed something, but is there any official word?

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm surprised no one has asked Kitase or Nomura whether or not Midgar will be open world or sandbox. Considering the entire game will take place there.

Maybe I missed something, but is there any official word?

If the game is worth 2 blu-Ray discs, it better be damn open world and a fully explorable Midgar! I mean I felt like I’ve only explored 5% of Midgar in the original version.

Enjay

Banned
Yep, also betting that it’s going to hurt sales. I’m convinced they are doing this just to hit a timeline, not because they designed the game this way.
I think it's because they're pretty much broke and they know this is their last guaranteed millions maker. They're gonna stretch it out for as many games as they can. Expect episode 2 to be the flashback at Kalm's only. Also don't forget to preorder the $330 collector's edition.

Enjay

Banned
My primary concern is still the thought that none of these games will connect gameplay wise. Like will levels, equipment, items and all that transfer between games? Or are they going to force us to start fresh everytime. Part of the greatness of ff7 was leveling up throughout the game, getting new limit breaks, leveling up your matteria, and turning your characters into power houses. It’ll feel really silly if by the end of Midgar Cloud is kicking ass and high leveled, then game 2 has him back to baseline again.

Like how can they plan out level and power progression if they don’t even know how many games it’s going to be?
Levels? Equipment? No. They're not doing that with this game lol. That buster sword cost them 8 years to render and we'll be looking at it all 10 games. They're probably still reeling from making the materia visible in it.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
If the game is worth 2 blu-Ray discs, it better be damn open world and a fully explorable Midgar! I mean I felt like I’ve only explored 5% of Midgar in the original version.
I've always fantasized what it would be like to explore the other sectors of Midgar. Hope I finally get to see it for myself. Riding the Hardy Dayton around the streets of Midgar would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Levels? Equipment? No. They're not doing that with this game lol. That buster sword cost them 8 years to render and we'll be looking at it all 10 games. They're probably still reeling from making the materia visible in it.

We already saw one of clouds different swords equipped...

Top Bottom