• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 9's opening hour is the most lavishly produced artifact of the PS1 era

Gnomist

I'll be honest, I didn't read anything in the OP but I absolutely agree with the notion that FFIX had a fantastic opening. Very well executed in terms of pacing and how they introduce the characters and how they begin their adventure together. It almost feels like a great Pixar movie intro. I'm looking forward to playing through this again when I pick up the PC version.

I'm actually in the middle of FFIX right now on my Vita. I just got to the town
Black Mage Village
after Conde Petie (Dwarf Town)or however you say it. This is a really great game so far.

Lord Phol

There really was something magical about this game that hasn't been replicated in the series so far IMO. I might like FFX or FFVII more (hard to say since they are all really good) but this is the game that had the most charm and felt the most like a true final fantasy game to me.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
What amuses me most re: IX is how I've ran into many folks over the years who claim it is a forgotten classic, and yet IX threads are always bursting at the seams with limitless praise from an appreciable number of people. :p

And I read that he composed 110 tracks for Final Fantasy 9. It was basically his magnum opus.

There are more than that. I got 150 in my library.

Yes, Final Fantasy IX has a great opening and I still recall my first time seeing it. This game changed me forever and for the better.

ScOULaris

What amuses me most re: IX is how I've ran into many folks over the years who claim it is a forgotten classic, and yet IX threads are always bursting at the seams with limitless praise from an appreciable number of people. :p

Well, GAF is a pretty diehard minority with a greater appreciation for games like these than your average gamer or even RPG fan. In terms of sales, it was under-appreciated compared to the two Final Fantasies that came before it.

In retrospect, there were a lot of callbacks (intentional or not, I'm unsure) to the earlier Final Fantasy games, even down to how the games story beats are in-tune to a typical NES RPG.

I need to properly play this one, as it's probably the closest thing that I can get to a classic Final Fantasy-style JRPG.

Eh...it's much closer to the SNES FF's then the original NES games.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well, GAF is a pretty diehard minority with a greater appreciation for games like these than your average gamer or even RPG fan. In terms of sales, it was under-appreciated compared to the two Final Fantasies that came before it.

Fair point. I kinda thought about that immediately after posting.

I think IX's legacy is to remain beloved in the eyes of the more hardcore, whilst passing into relative obscurity elsewhere.

The game was also really divisive when it originally came out because of the stylistic shift compared to VII and VIII. Then you had people who immediately wrote it off because they thought PSX FFs could never surpass the SNES games. People on GameFAQs and newsgroups were constantly shitting on the game back in the early 00s. It was brutal.

Didn't 9 come out less than a year after 8? I remember seeing it at Circuit City when I was a kid and going, "HUH WHEN DID THIS COME OUT?"

I definitely think there was some Final Fantasy fatigue with it's close release proximity to 8.

Lothar

Banned
If only the whole game was as good as that first hour.

Unfortunately it peaked in the first hour and was a steady decline until the end.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If FFVIII started with the Dollet Mission, it would be better.
Yes but we're talking about what, 2-3 hours into the game when that happens?

Now FF9 does have a fun first disc in the way it feels so adventurous. That's what make RPG's so good to me is the sense of wonder and adventure similar to the old Huckleberry Finn books.

sensui-tomo

Yes but we're talking about what, 2-3 hours into the game when that happens?

Now FF9 does have a fun first disc in the way it feels so adventurous. That's what make RPG's so good to me is the sense of wonder and adventure similar to the old Huckleberry Finn books.

I didnt care much for FF9, but I have to agree that disk one is very very fun. Hell the highlight for me was probably the lindblum (i think thats the name) monster challenge event. IIRC i remember making it so that vivi could win, or whatever was the way to get the accessory or weapon. Also i remember FF9 having the worst guide book that ever existed for RPGs.
The only things i can say i hated about 9 were (something about the aesthetic after coming from ff8, i think i liked the not chibi-ish look of the characters but i liked the amano art), Freya's no developement after disk 1, Beatrix not in your team (although she'd have to be reworked to not be a clone of stiener .. else we'd have another eiko) , Eiko's outfit in a design sense (this is a joke for people who've seen me in any thread that had complaints about ff having good designs) and lastly but the big issue for me Armarant joining your team.... Hated that he wasnt a reoccurring fight considering what zidane did to him.

LiquidMetal14

If only the whole game was as good as that first hour.

Unfortunately it peaked in the first hour and was a steady decline until the end.
How do you even break that down to such an opinion though saying "the first hour is good and the rest just feels like steady decline". The game has some good peaks as it progresses to tell the tale.

I can't ever really say such a thing about an RPG after an hour and then say the subsequent 40 were steady decline. Many good RPG's often have that good story pacing to where certins ploy points or twists are introduced as you go and let those moments build. Aeris FF7 is a good example and that was like 7-10 hours in.

FFIX is not my favorite FF game, but it's hands down the best opening hours in the entire series, IMO. The cutscene direction, sound design, the way the characters are introduced, it's all great.

In fact, it's so great, that I've always had a hard time caring about the characters who aren't part of that initial Vivi, Zidane, Steiner, Garnet group.

First disk is still untouched as best adventure of all time.

I agree with both these posts. I'm not the biggest FF9 fan in the world, in fact I haven't managed to make it all the way through since the first time I beat it back in 2001, but the first disc is some of my favorite Final Fantasy.

ScOULaris

I agree with both these posts. I'm not the biggest FF9 fan in the world, in fact I haven't managed to make it all the way through since the first time I beat it back in 2001, but the first disc is some of my favorite Final Fantasy.

This will be my first time playing past the forest section after the opening, so I have my expectations in check. If even the entire first disc is paced well, then it's already better than most RPG's of that era. Many of them lost steam after the first 7-10 hours and then sacrificed pacing for padding.

Shredderi

Not my favourite FF game (up there though) but the first few hours of the game is by far the best in the series. Really well paced.

Lothar

Banned
How do you even break that down to such an opinion though saying "the first hour is good and the rest just feels like steady decline". The game has some good peaks as it progresses to tell the tale.

I can't ever really say such a thing about an RPG after an hour and then say the subsequent 40 were steady decline. Many good RPG's often have that good story pacing to where certins ploy points or twists are introduced as you go and let those moments build. Aeris FF7 is a good example and that was like 7-10 hours in.

Because in the first CD, I thought it was going to be one of the best RPGs I ever played. In the second CD, I was losing interest and not that excited about it anymore. Kind of forcing myself to continue. (I did love the long story part when you met Eiko however)

On the third CD, I hated it. I thought all of the charm and fun character moments in the beginning were gone. The story became more serious in a way that made it dull. Villains were boring. Character interaction was not as strong. My favorite characters were just forgotten about. I never did care about Zidane.

It is my favourite final fantasy opening. So good.
Really hope that they put this game on PS4 considering its going to mobile and PC.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I love FF8, so this game was a crashing disappointment to me. Good first disk I admit, but after that... yeesh. All downhill.

LiquidMetal14

Because in the first CD, I thought it was going to be one of the best RPGs I ever played. In the second CD, I was losing interest and not that excited about it anymore. Kind of forcing myself to continue. (I did love the long story part when you met Eiko however)

On the third CD, I hated it. I thought all of the charm and fun character moments in the beginning were gone. The story became more serious in a way that made it dull. Villains were boring. Character interaction was not as strong. My favorite characters were just forgotten about. I never did care about Zidane.
While it did start good, it definitely doesn't let up too much and has some good pay off later so that why I mainly can't see it as getting worse as it goes. A fair explanation on your part though.

Tiamant

latest

Most underrated dungeon ever.

Lynx_7

FF IX holds the honor of having not only the best first hours of a FF game but also the best ending too. Though to be fair VII's intro is not far behind.
Some days I consider IX to be my favorite FF game, but most of the time I just keep it barely below VI. It was really refreshing to play after the disappointment that was VIII and I can't wait for the steam release so I can finally replay it with faster battles.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ha, I'm exactly the same. I never could care about any of the characters that show up later because I already felt that I had gone through a lot with those guys.
For me, anyone who picks a squad comprised or just including 1 of anybody else outside the original 4 in the final boss is in the wrong.

Z3M0G

I replayed the first hour or so a few weeks back and was absolutely blown away by it... I was not a big fan of the game at release in my younger years, but I was floored by how it was put together this time around.

Timeaisis

I played FFIX when I was 13 years old for the first time. It was incredible. Those first three hours were magic and I'd never seen anything like it before. Still my favorite opening hours to any game ever.

neoism

my ps2's launch title lol... played it everyday until I beat it.... even though it'll have a terrible ui im really thinking about getting it on ios....I should just get it on steam though..

Top Bottom