• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 9's opening hour is the most lavishly produced artifact of the PS1 era

Unai

I can't wait for it to be released on Steam so I can buy it for the third time. I still have my boxed psx version. What an amazing game.

While I enjoyed the game, at the time I didn't think it was anything great. In fact, I thought the game was a little too fan-servicey. An overreaction to fans disliking FF8's dark technology-based story.

To me, I've always thought that FF9 is the true successor to the 16 bit entries. FF7 is widely popular for many reasons but game never felt like a real Final Fantasy to me, I see Final Fantasy is a Fantasy RPG with light to mild sci-fi elements and 7 was a Sci-fi RPG with very light Fantasy elements (most of which were things that excited in previous FF games). FF8 was a better mix of the two but it still focused more on the sci-fi then the fantasy elements, FF9 was a true return to form and really felt like a successor to FF6 then FF7 ever did and thats why I think its much better then the other PS1 FF games.

It wasn't just that for sure, the characters have much better defining arcs. Steiner is a completely different person at the end of the game compared to the beginning and I love his line when he makes fun of
Zidane and Garnets relationship after they comment how he fell for Beatrix and you even see Garnet get a bit huffy in response
I don't think all of the characters were developed perfectly (Quina, Amarant, and Freya all felt very secondary compared to the main 4 and Eiko) but you can pretty much say the same about several characters in every FF game. Then you have the story that was exceedingly well done (although it has some slow points for sure) and easily the best ending in the series.

Man I love FF9.

I've done the intro like 10 times in the past 2 years and I always quit immediately after. Lol

Finished it back in the day though.

antitrop

While I enjoyed the game, at the time I didn't think it was anything great. In fact, I thought the game was a little too fan-servicey. An overreaction to fans disliking FF8's dark technology-based story.

6, 7, and 8 were all dark technology stories. 6 had its Magicite and 7 had its Mako. It was time for something like 9 again.

FFIX is in the minority of rpgs where I always enjoy revisiting the entirety of the game, beginning to end. That even includes the cg movie events that I prefer to skip (if possible...) in many other games including some FF titles. Not that I mind story, I now strongly prefer in-engine and/or as-you-play story delivery now, minimize downtime.

But in FFIX I always enjoy such things as the Alexander v Bahamut vid or the ending sequence.

Acrylic7

Yes its pretty much perfect. The beginning of FF9 has yet to be topped in gaming.
A feat that people refuse to talk about for some reason.

Dunkley

I was already blown away at the point where Garnet, Zidane and Steiner were rope swinging across the place in the intro.

The music, the visuals, the charm. It just made me feel like I was in for something special, and it didn't let me down on that.

pkhanh

Neo Member
Finished this game back when I as a 6th grader or 7th grader or so, I'm still grateful that I bought FF9 with my savings.
God, this game contributed a huge part in how I learn English and how it shapes my childhood, I still remember reloading several times just to see the CGI Princess cutting her hair.

Beth Cyra

I dont get the love for this one. To me it still has the worst battle system, world, characters, and art in the franchise...well aside from XIII.

Loved Vivi and Kiha though who is my second fav villan.

jb1234

And I read that he composed 110 tracks for Final Fantasy 9. It was basically his magnum opus.

FFIX has a great deal of music in it but not all of it strikes me as particularly inspired, probably because of how much he had to write in such a short period of time. Compare to VI's soundtrack, which is almost entirely godly.

Kyne

latest

Most underrated dungeon ever.

in every MMO I've ever played I've always named my main character Ipsen. It's never taken and it sounds so good off the tongue.

I dont get the love for this one. To me it still has the worst battle system, world, characters, and art in the franchise...well aside from XIII.

Loved Vivi and Kiha though who is my second fav villan.

Because opinions. To me it has he best world, characters, and art in the franchise. The battle system is fine, especially when sped up. I very much prefer the more fantasy-based Final Fantasy games, and this one is the pinnacle.

Beth Cyra

Because opinions. To me it has he best world, characters, and art in the franchise. The battle system is fine, especially when sped up. I very much prefer the more fantasy-based Final Fantasy games, and this one is the pinnacle.
That goes with out saying, not sure why you posted it.

Mine was a statmeant and not a question.

The speed thing I don't get either, the speed while a major problem is not remotely the worst part of the battle system in my eyes.

Sesto

Banned
best game and I agree the first CD is unreached plotwise in gaming history. Fantastic world were one wanted to talk with every NPC, check every ATE, enjoy the lovable story. Still wish everyday we get a future FF in the same setting, directed by Ito.

That goes with out saying, not sure why you posted it.

Mine was a statmeant and not a question.

The speed thing I don't get either, the speed while a major problem is not remotely the worst part of the battle system in my eyes.

Unless my memory is failing, it's a pretty standard turn-based combat system. What's bad about it?

I still play through this every few years. Brilliant fucking game and still holds up with so much charm. You can also play co-op with a friend during battles.
Absolutely my favorite FF of the PS1 era.

Beth Cyra

Unless my memory is failing, it's a pretty standard turn-based combat system. What's bad about it?
Aside from the speed the Trance system is pure trash.

Auto activation and the ability to lose it before you've used it. I personally found it worthless and just unfun to use.

There is nothing about entering combat that feels enjoyable to me in FF IX. It's a very similar feeling of going into battle in PAper Mario Sticker Star.

Aside from the speed the Trance system is pure trash.

Auto activation and the ability to lose it before you've used it. I personally found it worthless and just unfun to use.

There is nothing about entering combat that feels enjoyable to me in FF IX. It's a very similar feeling of going into battle in PAper Mario Sticker Star.

I mean... disliking the entire battle system because limit breaks can sometimes come at inopportune moments seems like a pretty weak argument to me. But whatever floats (or sinks) your boat. I don't think the combat system is anything special, but I don't think any turn-based system is. They're neither good nor bad.

Ezalc

Best Final Fantasy, with the best protagonist and romance. Love it.

Yeah, freyja and quina get a pass but amarant and eiko can go to hell.

FFIX is the best 3D FF.

I will always be the only person in FFIX threads who likes Amarant but fuck it he's awesome and I don't care much for freya nor quina. Eiko is awful though.

pezzie

I've been playing mainline Final Fantasy games since I was 9 years old in 1990, and this one is still my favorite one. I still can't believe to this day how much I enjoyed this game. I think I'm due for another replaying of it soon. I'm saddened that I'll probably never enjoy a Final Fantasy as much as this one, with the way the series has been going, but for me today the love and anticipation for a new JRPG is solely for Persona.

Battle may be a little slower in today's world, but it never felt overly drawn out to me. I also love that it brought back the 4 person party. I mean I was also kind of weird running both Eiko and Garnet in my party, so my DPS was even lower than most people. The pacing of the story was fantastic, and the You're Not Alone scene itself is still my favorite moment in all of Final Fantasy history. The only Square RPG I liked more than FFIX is Xenogears.

I think I'm gonna put this soundtrack on loop in my car again.

thefil

Completely agree. FFIX is my favourite game of all time, even though I pretty much always quit at disc 4 in my replays. The opening scenario, with the interleaved stories of Zidane/Steiner/Vivi, the play, the minigames, the vibrant and rich world, and the turned-on-its-head kidnapping story is one of my most treasured gaming memories.

I would personally extend the appreciation of its scenario design all the way through the end of disc 1 at least, and probably up through the end of Terra. At *every* point you are doing a memorable thing in a memorable place. Your party members are each on their own adventures, with groups forming and reforming in ways that make sense and keep things fresh. Some highlights for me are Burmecia, Cleyra, the Ice Caves, The Forest, Terra, Kuja's Palace, The Forgotten Continent... okay, pretty much everything.

I think this attention to scenario design is what's missing in JRPGs. There's a huge population on portable, but each one I play I quit quickly despite very competent battle systems and beautiful art. It seems like scenario design has fallen by the wayside. Bravely Default is a great example - I personally find it irredeemably boring to motivate the beginning of a story by having an opaque evil destroy some magic crystals/other macguffins.

VII and VIII also have impeccable opening scenario design. Eco-terrorists attacking a reactor, then hiding out in a city beneath a city, culminating in a battle through a corporate headquarters. A military academy, complete with trial against Ifrit and a live-fire situation in a besieged city. X does alright, but suffers as soon as it falls into the (I'm sorry to use this term, but) lazy scenario device of having to go to N temples and do N trials, to get N aeons. When the cast has to accomplish a number of tasks, all for the same reason, I personally lost motivation. I prefer to have good reason to be in each place, or no reason at all.

Anyway, sorry for the manifesto. Love this game.

Nekemancer

Neo Member
Between the OST and the OST PLUS it was definitely his most prolific writing period.

The PLUS soundtrack is quite the treat too.

I'm a big fan of FFIX.

My FFIX OST is signed by Uematsu.

And this is the first time I've ever heard of a PLUS soundtrack......

I cannot even explain how excited I am to be able to hear new music that was composed for this game. I went and purchased a copy the moment I saw that it was still relatively available. Thank you for sharing this info!

I'll ask you guys too:

Does the NTSC version of Final Fantasy IX look noticeably better than the PAL version?

What with PAL versions often having black bars, being slower and having worse-looking CG..Is this the case for ps1 Final Fantasy's?

If so, I'm buying this for the fourth time.

Yup, FFIX had an incredible rollercoaster ride right up to the forest. The two parter opening sequence, the play (flamenco included), the getaway... all of it perfect.

It really fooled me into thinking the game would be cooler than it was.

Goddamn if the whole game was like Dollet....

It's really clear they wanted the whole game to be like Dollet. The Galbadia Infiltration section has much the same vibe, but after disc 1 they just had no idea where to take the story and had "Final Fantasy plot beats" to hit and it fell apart. VIII wanted to either be what XV has become, or wanted to just flat out not be an FF game and be a Metal Gear game instead - a game about modern high-powered operatives and whatnot. It gets really hobbled by being forced into a "Final Fantasy" frame later on.

Theodoricos

FF9 truly is one of the best Final Fantasy games and it has one of the strongest intros in the franchise. I adore this game - it really is a love letter to fans of the original FF installments.

I slightly prefer FF6's first few hours to FF9's, but both are amazing.

TrounceX

Completely agree. FFIX is my favourite game of all time, even though I pretty much always quit at disc 4 in my replays. The opening scenario, with the interleaved stories of Zidane/Steiner/Vivi, the play, the minigames, the vibrant and rich world, and the turned-on-its-head kidnapping story is one of my most treasured gaming memories.

I would personally extend the appreciation of its scenario design all the way through the end of disc 1 at least, and probably up through the end of Terra. At *every* point you are doing a memorable thing in a memorable place. Your party members are each on their own adventures, with groups forming and reforming in ways that make sense and keep things fresh. Some highlights for me are Burmecia, Cleyra, the Ice Caves, The Forest, Terra, Kuja's Palace, The Forgotten Continent... okay, pretty much everything.

I think this attention to scenario design is what's missing in JRPGs. There's a huge population on portable, but each one I play I quit quickly despite very competent battle systems and beautiful art. It seems like scenario design has fallen by the wayside. Bravely Default is a great example - I personally find it irredeemably boring to motivate the beginning of a story by having an opaque evil destroy some magic crystals/other macguffins.

VII and VIII also have impeccable opening scenario design. Eco-terrorists attacking a reactor, then hiding out in a city beneath a city, culminating in a battle through a corporate headquarters. A military academy, complete with trial against Ifrit and a live-fire situation in a besieged city. X does alright, but suffers as soon as it falls into the (I'm sorry to use this term, but) lazy scenario device of having to go to N temples and do N trials, to get N aeons. When the cast has to accomplish a number of tasks, all for the same reason, I personally lost motivation. I prefer to have good reason to be in each place, or no reason at all.

Anyway, sorry for the manifesto. Love this game.

Great post right here. I could not agree more.

Mr. RPG

Final Fantasy IX has the best opening to any game. Disc 1 is absolutely perfect. The game is a masterpiece.

Unlike most people, I love all of the characters in Final Fantasy IX. Quina is one of my favorite characters.

Top Bottom