• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 9's opening hour is the most lavishly produced artifact of the PS1 era

Disc 1 is probably the highlight of the final fantasy franchise for me. Nothing has captured me like that within the FF universe.

I'll ask you guys too:

Does the NTSC version of Final Fantasy IX look noticeably better than the PAL version?

What with PAL versions often having black bars, being slower and having worse-looking CG..Is this the case for ps1 Final Fantasy's?

If so, I'm buying this for the fourth time.

Yes, the PAL version is shit, the NTSC version is great. It's mainly the horrible black bars and the 20% or so reduction in speed; it's already slightly plodding in terms of speed, so that PAL speed hit just makes the problem even worse. It was always a hassle back in the day living in PAL land and just seeing all these really poor PAL conversions. It was actually pirated versions of the NTSC games that opened my eyes to just how poor these games were in comparison. Not to mention that being a JRPG fan in the UK was no fun at all. All those classic Square-Enix mid-tier games just skipped PAL land. Thank God for importing.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A very fond memory. I always felt sad and filled with empathy for Vivi. Steiner was my second favorite character.

Spending my time looking at the unique buildings and prairie vista of Dali while that sublime track played over-and-over.

And being blown away by Terra and Bran Bal.

It's really clear they wanted the whole game to be like Dollet. The Galbadia Infiltration section has much the same vibe, but after disc 1 they just had no idea where to take the story and had "Final Fantasy plot beats" to hit and it fell apart. VIII wanted to either be what XV has become, or wanted to just flat out not be an FF game and be a Metal Gear game instead - a game about modern high-powered operatives and whatnot. It gets really hobbled by being forced into a "Final Fantasy" frame later on.

You know, i had the craziest idea the other day. Maybe the game really is just the first disc. Maybe Squall actually dies! Now isn't that just the craziest thing, but it might just work you know. Maybe Squall is a FF fan too and he just dreams of FF things all the time.

Neiteio

I always wanted to play this back in the day. The snippets I saw online and in game magazines inspired me in my creative writing at the time.

Tiamant

The talks Vivi and nº288 had in the cemetery, good stuff.

tumblr_nqx59sqEtS1rpxo9oo4_500.gif

Narroo

If FFVIII started with the Dollet Mission, it would be better.

The Demo did start with the Dollet Mission, and it was great! It actually felt like the opening of the game. All I can imagine is that they didn't want to basically reproduce the opening of FFVII's bombing mission.

Agree - I LOVE the flamenco music on the stage :)

Really want to replay this game at some point. I think FF7's opening is just as good btw, albeit very different in tone. FF8 can suck a donkeys dick the first hour is so dull.

Nightbird

I started FF IX for the first time ever this year, and, well, I agree.
This first hour did such a good job at establishing the characters, that I really care about them.

What's interesting is is that it doesn't really feel like a Final Fantasy game. When I think of final Fantasy, I think about 7, X and everything that came after that.

IX just feels completely different, and I like it. IX is the most fun I've had with a Final Fantasy game so far, and that opening hour did a great job at making this possible.

Agree - I LOVE the flamenco music on the stage :)

Really want to replay this game at some point. I think FF7's opening is just as good btw, albeit very different in tone. FF8 can suck a donkeys dick the first hour is so dull.

See, FF8 has this BOMBASTIC and AWESOME opening movie, with one of the best FF tracks ever! IT'S GREAT!

And then "Hey you're in school let's take a realllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy long tour."

I love FF8 but damned if that opening isn't slow as molasses.

I'm excited to replay FFIX through the re-releasing coming up. I -loved- the hell out of FFIX, and I have to agree with the OP about the entire first disc just being near perfection in pacing. Everything happens great, there's this kind of briskness to the opening, but you also get enough time to mess around, get to know places like Alexandria, etc.

Plus, Chocobo Hot and Cold can and will consume your soul.

Zomba13

I loved FFIX and it was so nice to have a more traditional fantasy FF game after VII and VIII with their techno-fantasy. I really hope that after XV we get another fantasy one with knights and wizards and airships that work on steam or chocobo power and not high tech machines. (XIV is kinda close even with the Garlean Empire being like the Empire from FFVI but it's also an MMO and I want a nice big single player fantasy story).

The opening of IX is great though. and the character growth is fantastic. We see these characters at the start and by the time we're done they've all grown and faced their own hardships on this quest and come out the other end stronger even though at times things looked bleak. Only characters I didn't really like were Eiko and Amarant and I think that was because they joined too late for me to really get attached.

I loved FFIX and it was so nice to have a more traditional fantasy FF game after VII and VIII with their techno-fantasy. I really hope that after XV we get another fantasy one with knights and wizards and airships that work on steam or chocobo power and not high tech machines. (XIV is kinda close even with the Garlean Empire being like the Empire from FFVI but it's also an MMO and I want a nice big single player fantasy story).

The opening of IX is great though. and the character growth is fantastic. We see these characters at the start and by the time we're done they've all grown and faced their own hardships on this quest and come out the other end stronger even though at times things looked bleak. Only characters I didn't really like were Eiko and Amarant and I think that was because they joined too late for me to really get attached.

Wait there are high tech machines in FFXV??

Love the opening of this game. Every time I attempt to go for the Jump Rope champion title in the beginning, but get frustrated and quit. One of these days... Also I hope you didn't steal granny's savings in the beginning.

By far the most underrated of them all

Never expected someone with a Cloud avatar to say that.

Top Bottom