• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Asking a lot from such an old game.

Tellah feels EVIL. Is it really evil or is it that week old salamander pie he ate when he know he shouldn't have? That's some real evil there old man.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Asking a lot from such an old game.
Please. Even Selan and Maxim have a better relationship than those two, and they fall into the "meet one minute and then the next minute they're in bed together" category.

Heck, even Nei and Rolf from Phantasy Star II (because I should use an example from a game before FF4) with their sibling-like relationship seem to have a slightly better relationship than those two...

Esura

Banned
Like I said in my playthrough posts, I don't like how their relationship is portrayed in the game at all. Though to be fair, there aren't a lot of video game romances that I genuinely like due to a lack of chemistry, intimacy (not that kind of intimacy), genuine expressions of deep love, and development of a deepening eros relationship over the course of a game.

I might post goofy stuff sometimes but I'm not that simple minded. :p

I'm not sure you'd get many games to pursue true romance in a way that it's deserved though, well Catherine comes close but even that got some flaws. I think at the time they didn't care about expanding on it much because they probably didn't think it was necessary to.

..That's been re-made and re-translated several times over. If they wanted to improve the relationship between the two, they've had plenty of chances to do so.

The re-translated stuff doesn't seem to diverge that much from the original. They would have to add new scenes, new lines and all that to develop the relationship more.

Please. Even Selan and Maxim have a better relationship than those two, and they fall into the "meet one minute and then the next minute they're in bed together" category.

Heck, even Nei and Rolf from Phantasy Star II (because I should use an example from a game before FF4) with their sibling-like relationship seem to have a slightly better relationship than those two...

I don't honestly remember anything memorable about Selan and Maxim. I never played PS2 so I won't comment on that but if there aren't a lot of examples, than it kind of proves my point they were still trying to get that aspect of the games down...and still can be hit or miss.

But Lufia 2's music is incredible... ;___;

Final Fantasy 4 demands my attention! And Golbez!

I think there was an easy way to beat Milon Z but Life misses like crazy so oh well, do it the HARD way because my party is boss like that. Or stupid.

And this trend of disabling Exit/Warp so I gotta walk ALLLLLLLLL the way out after expending myself on a boss...is like...like...well it's like having to hunt for the Danjuro dagger...major mega drag. Who designed this crap? I want Squeenix to remake this again.

I like to level grind but should I level grind on these jokers? Old man can't use Meteo, brats go down quicker than single party Edge...when do I get the dope people back? Where's that green haired kid who verbally smacked Edward down? Where's my white wizard leech? And where is that backstabbing, longhaired lancer with a jealousy streak as long as his spear?

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm playing it currently. It's much better.

-Visuals are cleaned up, so it looks a ton better than the muddy DS graphics.
-The music got remastered too I believe, since it sounds better than what was on the DS. (Sounds much cleaner and orchestral.)
-There's also a neat Gallery which has illustrations and stuff that you unlock playing through the game. Has old drawings from the original game as well as the remakes.
-Can choose between remastered music or the Original 8-bit music from the Famicom game. (I chose the latter.)
-Auto battle option kinda like what was in the FFIV collection (remembers your last inputted commands and speeds up fights significantly).
-Don't have to deal with that online mess to unlock Mognet bonuses (Onion Knight, Blacksmith, etc.)

Thanks for this list, I'll continue playing FF3 on PSP then. And yes, the NES OST I prefer much more over the newer one.

Decided to start the first FF game since I have plenty of down time at work and...

My only goal is to find and crush puny Warmech.

Garland will knock me down? I've been treated far far worse...try harder next time.

They only thought now of fixing the bridge? I'm pretty sure the people would've appreciated it being fixed before some armed hobos showed up, bearing their new age metaphysics toys.

Ultratech

FFIV is anti-grind. The more you level up Tellah, the WEAKER he gets. His stats actually drop as he levels up (cause he's getting older).

Same thing applies for the other characters, since after 70, their stat growths get a bit variable, so they can actually lose stats on a level up.

Noi

Whoa is that for real? That's crazy!

It's not quite as drastic as I make it sound, but if you were to keep track, you'll notice that Tellah... doesn't really change at all on level ups, partially to balance his learning every spell gimmick. One of his physical stats drops every couple of levels, which is kinda cool in a "he ain't getting any younger" kinda logic. His magical stats never drop though, that'd be horrible.

Previously on Final Fantasy IV: Or Cecil's Journey through Wonderland

Cecil, ace captain of the Red Wings was used like a little whore to do the King's twisted bidding and he finally decided he was done! That's right folks, Cecil found his backbone but that wasn't the end of it. First he had to play babysitter for a green haired brat, slap around a spoony bard, control an old geezer who can't contain himself, gains a super muscular buddy, gets his white wizard leech taken away by that men of men Golbez who has also made Kane his toy and...had to babysit more brats. What is a man to do?

Oh look, Muscle Man is back *starts singing Macho Man* and he needs a good whack too but yay, more firepower!

I love how every dungeon is designed where I have to walk around so so so much and I'm stuck with a high encounter rate too...what did Cecil do to deserve these trials?

The game toys with Cecil as he goes far far out of his way to get to treasure...only to discover it's common stuff he can buy at the stores...whoever this mysterious person who fills these chests is...they're a jerk.

Kokonoe

Banned
Previously on Final Fantasy IV: Or Cecil's Journey through Wonderland

Cecil, ace captain of the Red Wings was used like a little whore to do the King's twisted bidding and he finally decided he was done! That's right folks, Cecil found his backbone but that wasn't the end of it. First he had to play babysitter for a green haired brat, slap around a spoony bard, control an old geezer who can't contain himself, gains a super muscular buddy, gets his white wizard leech taken away by that men of men Golbez who has also made Kane his toy and...had to babysit more brats. What is a man to do?

Oh look, Muscle Man is back *starts singing Macho Man* and he needs a good whack too but yay, more firepower!

I love how every dungeon is designed where I have to walk around so so so much and I'm stuck with a high encounter rate too...what did Cecil do to deserve these trials?

The game toys with Cecil as he goes far far out of his way to get to treasure...only to discover it's common stuff he can buy at the stores...whoever this mysterious person who fills these chests is...they're a jerk.

cjPFw.jpg

Picking up on a trend that's been going on since the turn of the century...can we really trust chancellors in a RPG ever again?

And the brats seem to be the only ones with a darn clue in this...this...well anyway, only the children have a clue. Just like in real life. Adults are useless...Cecil is useless...who in FF4 is worth their salt?

Oh snapples, another one of those dastardly fiends, those wickedest of the wicked...the Four Fiends...the music changed so you know we're in deep deep trouble...who will come save Cecil from this utter evil?

And what is Kainazzo anyway? Half man, half turtle...it's like...like...uhh...whatever, he was stupid enough to stock the stores with electric charged toys so that must mean he wants the shock of his life! *refrains self from making a really awful joke*

Cid comes in and already bad mouths the old geezer...Cid is already a winner in my book.

There goes Tellah and his avenge this, avenge that spiel. Listen old fart, the brats did us a favor, now go off yourself too so I can get some dope people back. You're just a poor man's FuSoYa anyway.

Uh oh...Golbez is not pleased his peons are falling to girly Cecillia...what dastardly tricks does he have up his sleeve...*swoon*
Wait, how does he know that his man turtle got crushed...I bet Tellah is his spy!

And Kain shows his true colors...he can barely contain himself from destroying Cecil so he can have Rosa...so naughty

I love a man in charge, Kain is all "You want your woman, give me my darn crystal," before dipping out, leaving his lover Cecil, confused and betrayed

Cecil...if there is a cardinal rule about Final Fantasy, if the game didn't tell you about such and such a place...it probably means you SHOULDN'T GO THERE. Now face the Game Over screen because you're a doofus.

Or you could go somewhere else and see they ain't sellin' jack! Oh Square, such a tease!

And who the hell makes armor out of silver? I mean you got all the elements...all the metals and you melt down all your precious china to make some armor that gets dented by a single behemoth's tooth? This my friends...is false advertising...or...wait no, that's the wrong comparison. And then they have the gall to charge me an arm and a leg for stuff they probably bought cheap at the Goodwill and then melted it down...any plain Joe could do that...we're saving the world here...give us a discount! Dirtbags...

The programmers are a bunch of dirty old men...why are there so many scantily clad dancers in these older FF games?

Toroia...leave it to the women to know how to make a castle feel lovely. Men are so unoriginal with their one door policy...I mean seriously!

The guards (male) seem to suspect Baron is up to something. Really? No kidding sherlock, Baron is up to something. I bet the sky is blue too! Is it any wonder women run the world? Men are only good for cannon and dragon fodder.

Oh gee thanks a lot guys...you could have told me I needed my delightful yellow chariot to get to the cave but noooooooooooooooo...freaking bunch of dirtbag hooligans with a smelly cherry on top. I will knock you all down!

The thought behind the Metal Cave...I want to hear them so I can find whoever thought it up and kick them in the tush! No no no, you know what, I want a whole final dungeon like this...yes...make it hell!

Sorry to all you cat lovers but these Panther guys can just go to the bowels of hell...Bluster does not tickle my fancy one bit!

Uh oh, it seems Cecil and friends are in a bit of a pickle! What will happen? Will Cecil finally be free of his leech? Will Yang stop sneezing? Will Tellah take a chill pill? And will Cid stop making fun of everyone? Next time on Final Fantasy IV: Cecil's Hell

Oh wait, sorry...it's not over yet! Haha...well somehow we got the joint but what happens next...oh Kain is back and he's ordering Cecil around. Again, Cecil has no backbone and must comply. Money says Kain will renege on the deal because the children aren't here to tell Cecil what's up...how did this guy live for so long and being such an idiot?

*current events fold* Good ol' Cecil...good ol' Cecil...did you really expect...good freaking lord...boy howdy, if these are the people we have to depend on to save the world, bend over and kiss your keister goodbye!

Kokonoe

Banned
So FF fans, on my quest to complete these titles in 'correct' way possible, I need your help.

Which version of these following games should I play?

FF4 (Heard SNES was the best one so I should be picking SNES for this)
FF5
FF6

Also, should I not even bother with Mystic Quest? Thanks.

Noi

So FF fans, on my quest to complete these titles in 'correct' way possible, I need your help.

FF5
FF6

PSP, GBA, SNES/PS1.

I went through FF6 on SNES, but the battery died halfway through. PS1 is more or less the same only with longer load times.

I'll let Schala elaborate on why you should play Mystic Quest.

Mystic Quest is a very simplistic RPG...too simple that I just lost interest a few hours in.

And FF IV: You can play the SNES or PSP version. FFV is best on the GBA...the PS1 version is terrible and has awful load times...FF VI is good on the SNES or GBA versions but the SNES version has all the bugs you can exploit to make the game really simple. Breaking a game is always fun, even as easy as VI.

Xux

FF5
FF6

Go with PSP, GBA, GBA; the improved music and translations in the GBA versions are worth it alone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I looooooove Mystic Quest! :D

Ask me anything! I love how glitchy it is, how it parodies RPGs, how straightforward and quick it is, and how fucking awesome the Sasai soundtrack is.

Don't listen to her!

Back to Final Fantasy...we are at Motoya's Cave but who is she, why is her name attached to this cave and why do these hobos not find a job?

Beat up pirates, win a ship...that was pretty easy...too easy...uh-oh...

Soooo now I am lost. I guess I have to go to the Western Keep, wherever the hell that is. Seriously folks, you tell a bunch of hobos that only they can save the world but you can't give them a freaking map...?

This world deserves to die.

Kokonoe

Banned
PSP, GBA, SNES/PS1.

I went through FF6 on SNES, but the battery died halfway through. PS1 is more or less the same only with longer load times.

Go with PSP, GBA, GBA; the improved music and translations in the GBA versions are worth it alone.

Thanks for the advice!

Also, is there a specific reason to choose FFIV on PSP over the SNES one? aside from graphics.

I looooooove Mystic Quest! :D

Ask me anything! I love how glitchy it is, how it parodies RPGs, how straightforward and quick it is, and how fucking awesome the Sasai soundtrack is.

I actually tried Mystic Quest once, a very long time ago (about 12 years or so) and it was only for a few moments so I don't recall much. If I can't really get into Dragon Warrior, would I be able to with Mystic Quest?

Don't listen to her!

Back to Final Fantasy...we are at Motoya's Cave but who is she, why is her name attached to this cave and why do these hobos not find a job?

Beat up pirates, win a ship...that was pretty easy...too easy...uh-oh...

Soooo now I am lost. I guess I have to go to the Western Keep, wherever the hell that is. Seriously folks, you tell a bunch of hobos that only they can save the world but you can't give them a freaking map...?

This world deserves to die.

Koko the Wise will share to thee knowledge of the map system. Hit B + Select or vice versa and the map shall appear.

I bet that's the kind of thing they tell you in those Trainer School thingies that I always ignore...oh well, thanks for the advice and we'll continue our Hobos adventures soon enough!

Anyways back to Cecil and friends...lost in the Futuristic Tower of Evilness! I really hope Golbez didn't design this layout, he must love the exercise. I bet he has a secret teleporter system to allow him to bypass this stupid floor plan.

Tower of Zot, now there's a spooky title...Zot. Who is Zot by the way? Is it Golbez's master? Is it some old king? Is it Kain's daddy? Or is it what Golbez's lover secretly calls him?

Another thing...where does Golbez get all these minions? It's like he has a giant toy chest and any time he needs to make our lives hell, he reaches in and fishes out some toy he forgot about...

Take meanie sisters...they mentioned some other person...another Fiend perhaps? Well time to refresh! I hope we get to kick Kain's you know what, he deserves it for being naughty

Wait...no Cecil...what are you doing...wait no no no no...DARNIT...for the love of...this Cecil...this is why stuff like 'Good is Dumb' exists and why Draco be wearing them leather hot pants...like holy cow, how does an idiot like him dress himself?

Can I just play as Golbez now? At least he gets stuff done. Oh hey, Tellah did something useful! What a champ...and of course Golbez is all man and laughs off Meteo...this my friends...is MANLINESS. PURE MAN. ALL MAN.

And welcome back filthy traitor, let's see how long you last before stabbing me in the back again...now where is my leech?

Awwwww romantic moment...music got all nice and everything, the love between these two...I'm feeling it! How can you even hate these two (I'm looking at you Schala)? Awwwww...sucks for poor Kain though! Cid ruins the moment sadly so I guess it's time to get back to work...

And now Kain's spurned lover is after us...another parting gift from Golbez...a pal, a real gentleman

Man talk about a killjoy, Cecil is so bitter and mopey, he takes his anger out on a little girl's dolls...oh wow, creepy music time...you know what that means peeps? Brutal boss fight! Where's the Toyman when you need him? The dolls...the dolls are coming for me...

Hmmm I wonder why our lovely green summoner only cured Cecil and didn't help the others out...hmmm...is there something there? Hmmmm hmmm...sounds like a love...something something! Love, it's in the air!

Xux

Thanks for the advice!

Also, is there a specific reason to choose FFIV on PSP over the SNES one? aside from graphics.
The SNES version is missing some stuff compared to the original Japanese version. The PSP version has the complete original plus the added stuff from the GBA version without the bugs of the GBA version.

I need them to buff the Trap Doors...I want them to have three times the HP, the be sturdier and Destroy can't be reflected with...well Wall.

Darn you Trap Doors...let's target the healer only...=(

Tizoc

I'd like some tips on playing FF Tactics, IIRC, the main story enemies' level is only high if the main characters levels are high?

Labadal

I'd like some tips on playing FF Tactics, IIRC, the main story enemies' level is only high if the main characters levels are high?

Enemies level up with you in random encounters, but not in story missions. That's how I rmember it. I have never thought about it that much, despite playing the game several times.

Enemies level up with you in random encounters, but not in story missions. That's how I rmember it. I have never thought about it that much, despite playing the game several times.

This is correct. In random battles, the enemy level will be the average level of your party, with at least one of them as high as your highest level party member.

Tizoc

Aha thanks for clearing it up, well in that case, what's the best way to go about playing FF Tactics? What classes should I have in my party and what abilities should I learn?

Aha thanks for clearing it up, well in that case, what's the best way to go about playing FF Tactics? What classes should I have in my party and what abilities should I learn?

Don't worry about not leveling up. Random encounters might level with you, but Story Mode encounters don't. The game is pretty lenient in terms of difficulty barring one or two fights, so unless you made a royal mistake and forgot to make a backup save, then you should always be fine.

Best classes to use off the bat (if you're not worried about min-maxing) are Dragoon, Ninja, Chemist, and Black/Time Mage. Best classes to learn skills from are Chemist, Ninja, Samurai, Time Mage, and Monk. If you have the PSP version and you want to unlock Dark Knight* (which is baller as hell), then you're pretty much going to have to start grinding from the get-go, because Black Mage takes FOREVER to master their job tree.

*Dark Knight is unlocked by Mastering Knight and Black Mage, and getting the following classes to Level 8: Geomancer, Dragoon, Ninja, Samurai. The unit must also kill 20 enemy units by letting their countdown go past 0.

There's no "proper" way to play FFTactics. Just make sure to ALWAYS bring a Chemist into battle with you (or at least someone who can revive party members) and you should be fine. I wrote some more tips in the other Final Fantasy playthrough thread if you want to try and dig through there.

Tizoc

Thanks I'll try to find it. Man I need to rethink my battle plan, with some it's better to just have the enemy come to you @_@.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually tried Mystic Quest once, a very long time ago (about 12 years or so) and it was only for a few moments so I don't recall much. If I can't really get into Dragon Warrior, would I be able to with Mystic Quest?
It's easier to get me in the other community thread because everyone's chill in there and I hang around there the most. Ask questions there because I totally forget this thread sometimes.

Battles are turn-based, so it's kind of like Dragon Quest where you select commands at the beginning of the round and everyone involved in the battle execute said commands based on how high their agility stat is. It's very simple. You find spells in dungeons rather learn them by level or from crests or whatever nonsense they cooked up. Battles are easy. Well, the entire game is easy. I like the colour scheme it uses for some of the areas. The dialogue is wonky because no one in that world gives a shit about what's going on so they just use explosives to solve all of their problems. And the music is amazing.

Seriously.
Seriously.
Seriously.

The final few (this next link is the final boss and ending of the game so don't clicky if you don't like spoilers) bosses are a joke.

I feel like the game can suffer from poor dungeon design which I've talked a little bit about a few times. It's repetitive and sometimes they can be boring. But they're easy to get through sometimes (especially if you don't fight everyone), so it's up to you as to what you want to do in dungeons.

You can beat FFMQ in an afternoon. It's not a long game at all. The final tally on mine says something like 11 hours? I did everything in the game and fought every enemy. If you didn't do everything, you can definitely speedrun the game and get a shorter time than that. Plus the game has a lot of exploits so it's fun to use them all!

Top Bottom