• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm sorry, but the story is mature so what? It gets really boring in the second half of the game.

Mature ≠ good.

And yeah, I love FF XII, the first half of the game's story is actually amazing.

In the context of its more recent FF peers it makes it a very unique proposition. Having a weaker second half doesn't automatically ruin the the story as a whole.

One can say that a nonsense story from the beginning with annoying characters is "interesting" but to many people that may be worse. For example a performance of Shakespeare can boring or interesting provided it is presented in a way that is personally appealing to somebody.

The fact that I cared more for the motivations of the characters carried it further than zany plot developments.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just the announcement I wanted to hear. Would be awesome if Matsuno was involved and they added new stuff to it. Not expecting Tactics Ogre PSP additions or anything on that scale. Something small like Chrono Trigger DS new content is good enough for me. If not, oh well. I never got around to trying the IZJS version anyway.

Cincaid

I wonder what the chance is of this (and Square's other upcoming stuff) showing up on Steam. Man oh man I really hope so! :3

Just hope they don't mess with the models too much. Touch up some of the lower resolution textures if you need but leave those faces alone.

tumblr_mcoma8r8jv1qbxlono1_500.gif

Yes. They use that money and resources on remaking a better game.

Like what?

VIII and IX will be dependent on how VIIr goes. A XII HD Remaster ala X HD Remaster is considerably less work than just about anything else.

It's not as if someone put IXr on the table and its budget was countered with XII instead, quit being ridiculous.

Lynx_7

I've heard IZJS fixes those issues, but I'm not motivated enough to get a copy of it. I generally agree with your sentiments though. I really wanted to like FFXII (and in many ways I do), but hol-y shit was the pace of the game grueling. I mentioned this in that LTTP FFXII thread that was here recently;
I liked Giruvegan a lot as a location but fuck me was it long. Walking through that damn swamp, getting to the city, walking down endless flights of stairs, then turning around in circles in that damn yellow crystal. Just when I thought, "It can't get any worse can it?" It sends you to that stupid tower in the middle of nowhere and HOLY SHIT did I want to break my controller.
(it sounds like the speedup in IZJS would've made this much more bearable)

I think I actually stopped playing before the end and just watched a playthrough on YT because by that point I just wanted to figure out how it all ended. But yeah, story was pretty good for a FF game. It's kinda like Star Wars set in Ivalice, and I guess that's ok. Also, ashe needs longer pants and vaan needs a fucking shirt lol.

Man, some of those late-game areas were grueling, I can't blame you for dropping the game at that point. You spend sooo much time just walking and fighting (or watching your party fight) at a moderately slow pace without anything in-between. No interesting cutscenes or dialogue or party interactions, plot advancement, fun detours, nothing.

The speed-up mechanic in the IZJS version is actually also one of the main reasons I'd probably be willing to give the game a second try. I remember also hearing something about added story cutscenes and bosses.
Wind Waker, a game whose original version I also wasn't too fond of because of the deliberately slow pace of sailing, became a much better and more enjoyable experience with the improvements provided by the HD remaster. I'm hoping an HD remaster of IZJS can give me a similar change of heart towards FF XII.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
People that criticize FF12 tend to be the same people that proclaim FF10 as the second coming of Christ. I ignore those people.

FF12 has beautiful art direction, the best translation and script thanks to Alexander O Smith's skilled work, a great voice cast (people that criticize Fran's English voice work are tone deaf), and well written characters. Ashe as a blood thirsty power seeking princess is an excellent repudiation of the typical princess trope. This game is a master work, the skills of the developers behind it are wielded with such deftness that subtlety is confused for boredom and poor writing.

This game deserves a remaster more than any other from Square's library. Great fucking game.

This is why i always say FF has the worst fanbase of all time.

The hyperbolic exaggerations in defense of their favorite titles at the expense of others is just childish.

You can say you didn't personally care for 10 without saying "everyone who didn't like 12 and likes 10 are mindless teenagers with nostalgia glasses."

Either like 10's plot or hate it, i think its a pretty common complaint that the story of 12 wasn't even there for a majority of the story and it was a far more gameplay oriented title.

Whether one wants to say that the developmental issues of the game were at fault or not, 12 is not perfect, neither is 10 in other ways, but respecting each other's views on both games would go a long way toward having a more civil conversation on it in general.

In the context of its more recent FF peers it makes it a very unique proposition. Having a weaker second half doesn't automatically ruin the the story as a whole.

One can say that a nonsense story from the beginning with annoying characters is "interesting" but to many people that may be worse. For example a performance of Shakespeare can boring or interesting provided it is presented in a way that is personally appealing to somebody.

The fact that I cared more for the motivations of the characters carried it further than zany plot developments.

So what you mean? That FF XII is the only one without annoying characters? Yeah, don't know from where you get that.

And the story of FF XII has it's shares of nonsense too.

Sayad

Just the announcement I wanted to hear. Would be awesome if Matsuno was involved and they added new stuff to it. Not expecting Tactics Ogre PSP additions or anything on that scale. Something small like Chrono Trigger DS new content is good enough for me. If not, oh well. I never got around to trying the IZJS version anyway.
Would be awesome if we got the original story now that nickbeards are more acceptable as protagonist in the industry. :D

theofficefan99

I like FFXII, but really? Ashe being a "blood thirsty" princess? How come so many people exaggerate so many aspects of XII's writing to make it sound better and more exciting than it actually is?

That's quite subjective no? Not everything has to strive for photorealism. I'd put FFXII with higher resolution, better textures and shaders in that league.

Polycount isn't everything. There's more to good looking games than that. I stand by my words.
Sorry but FFXII remastered in HD will never look in the league of The Last of Us or Bloodborne. This is not subjective. It's a fact. But it is also a fact that FFXII is one of the best looking PS2 games ever so it's HD Remaster will make it look better than many PS3 games. Just not in the the Naughty God-tier.

Sorry but FFXII remastered in HD will never look in the league of The Last of Us or Bloodborne. This is not subjective. It's a fact. But it is also a fact that FFXII is one of the best looking PS2 games ever so it's HD Remaster will make it look better than many PS3 games. Just not in the the Naughty God-tier.

You can't quantifiy if something looks "good". You can count polys and frames and texture sizes and particles and number of shaders, but none of that objectively measures how good something looks.

I don't think this discussion will go anywhere so I'll drop it here.

Franconstein

Neo Member
I'd wager it's a remake and not a remaster. Why? Because the game still looks great as it is. I recently booted it up again, and it's still pretty. I then emulated it on PCSX2, and I don't even feel it's an "old" game. Yeah, textures could be better, but I'm not sure it justifies a remaster. On the other hand, the story does fall off after a while, and progressions stumps out a bit, so maybe they want to fix at the same time.

Either way, I hope they plan a PC release, or I'll just miss out until there's a PS4 emulator.

The hyperbolic exaggerations in defense of their favorite titles at the expense of others is just childish.

You can say you didn't personally care for 10 without saying "everyone who didn't like 12 and likes 10 are mindless teenagers with nostalgia glasses."

Either like 10's plot or hate it, i think its a pretty common complaint that the story of 12 wasn't even there for a majority of the story and it was a far more gameplay oriented title.

Whether one wants to say that the developmental issues of the game were at fault or not, 12 is not perfect, neither is 10 in other ways, but respecting each other's views on both games would go a long way toward having a more civil conversation on it in general.

Amen.

I love the FF fan base because everyone has different experiences and opinions and we can discuss why we like some games more than others. I HATE it when it's just proclamations like "This FF is better than all others, all others are poop" without any real discussion. Drive-by X game is better than Y, you are wrong for liking game Y.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
All I need is FF12 from the PS2 with AA and 60fps.

from this...
ffxii-natif.png

to this...
ffxii-antialia-x4.png

Sweet! .....on second thoughts maybe give us a more user friendly map but seriously this game doesn't need much doing to it.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the textures are going to see a considerable upgrade over the 2nd pic, and there's still tons of jaggies in the background.

FFX on Emulator and FFX HD look drastically different. HD annihilates it in almost every aspect.

I like FFXII, but really? Ashe being a "blood thirsty" princess? How come so many people exaggerate so many aspects of XII's writing to make it sound better and more exciting than it actually is?
She spends 3/4ths of the game building an army to get revenge, and almost sells her soul to a junta of crackpot Gods to get it. She's pretty blood-thirsty, though the game doesn't portray it in a simplistic way befitting a video game caricature, so that aspect of her personality flies right over a lot of people's heads. Maybe if she acted like Kefka, then people might pick up on it.

How is she not? She faked her own suicide to incite rebellion (with little chance of succeeding) in her own people against Archadia. She's ruthless.

You don't know squat about what you're talking about. You have obviously looked at a minority of gamers who do this and apply it to the whole. I could do that to any video game series out there and I would be wrong. Those accusations you made do not apply to the FF community on this site, Eyes on FF, FF Net, FF-XIII.net, or the fan groups on Deviantart.

Inuhanyou

I'd wager it's a remake and not a remaster. Why? Because the game still looks great as it is. I recently booted it up again, and it's still pretty. I then emulated it on PCSX2, and I don't even feel it's an "old" game. Yeah, textures could be better, but I'm not sure it justifies a remaster. On the other hand, the story does fall off after a while, and progressions stumps out a bit, so maybe they want to fix at the same time.

Either way, I hope they plan a PC release, or I'll just miss out until there's a PS4 emulator.

That's the argument in the opposite though. If you saying its a remake, and the original already looks good, why need a remake?

Haunted

Probably another FFX situation, not FFVII.

Looking forward to the comparison shots between PCSX2 and the final release.

Fehyd

Banned

I can totally agree with this. While my FF play experience isn't as fleshed out as others (I've mainly played 6,7,10,10-2, 11, 13, 14, tactics) I actually wouldn't characterize any of them as "bad" or even "medeiocre".

Although, this might be because the fanbase isn't really "final fantasy" fans, so much as separate camps devoted to each game (FF7 fans vs FF8 fans, etc), so as far as FF7 fans are concerned, the series peaked with that game, and so on.

Not all fans are like that, it just seems like the most vocal ones are guzzling a bit too much of the haterade.

Jonm1010

Banned

Just because 12's story wasn't in your face, on the nose and delivered by caricatures doesnt mean it wasn't "there." Which is pretty much every other FF.

Love or hate 12 it is the most mature, well developed(character wise), functionally complex and arguably the best written story of the series. The fact it came out as good as it did with S/E pressure forcing bad changes says a lot.

It is not everyones cup of tea but it is probably the only FF that you could take the core of the original story(at least 3/4ths of the game) and translate it to a book or movie and it would be a solid output. As much as a I love 6, 7 and 9 and how much I like the premise of 10 and 8, I don't think you can really say that about those.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the textures are going to see a considerable upgrade over the 2nd pic, and there's still tons of jaggies in the background.

FFX on Emulator and FFX HD look drastically different. HD annihilates it in almost every aspect.

THe 2nd pic doesn't look like it has AA, just higher resolution. Which is funny, because chrishackwood talked about the shot looking good because of AA.

edit: seems like he was talking about the ps2 version not having AA.

Just play it on emulator.

zyPx33K.jpg

theofficefan99

She spends 3/4ths of the game building an army to get revenge, and almost sells her soul to a junta of crackpot Gods to get it. She's pretty blood-thirsty, though the game doesn't portray it in a simplistic way befitting a video game caricature, so that aspect of her personality flies right over a lot of people's heads. Maybe if she acted like Kefka, then people might pick up on it.

Again, making it sound far more exciting than it actually is... I wouldn't really consider her "blood-thirsty," which makes her plight and personality sound more exciting than it actually is. She didn't really do anything shocking/out-of-the-ordinary. Collects a few artifacts and has one conversation with the Occuria.

Just because 12's story wasn't in your face, on the nose and delivered by caricatures doesnt mean it wasn't "there." Which is pretty much every other FF.

Love or hate 12 it is the most mature, well developed(character wise), functionally complex and arguably the best written story of the series. The fact it came out as good as it did with S/E pressure forcing bad changes says a lot.

It is not everyones cup of tea but it is probably the only FF that you could take the core of the original story(at least 3/4ths of the game) and translate it to a book or movie and it would be a solid output. As much as a I love 6, 7 and 9 and how much I like the premise of 10 and 8, I don't think you can really say that about those.

Thank you! Took the words out of my mouth.

tuxfool

Banned
So what you mean? That FF XII is the only one without annoying characters? Yeah, don't know from where you get that.

And the story of FF XII has it's shares of nonsense too.

Yes, absolutely. But it isn't binary, rather a matter of degrees and tolerance. I can tolerate a lot so it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the sillier aspects of other games, but the unique composition of elements in 12 makes that game resonate far better for me.

Caronte

Does the IZJ version have all the gambits unlocked from the start? It's one of the few things I didn't like about the original. It's impossible to make a good Black Mage without them.

Again, making it sound far more exciting than it actually is... I wouldn't really consider her "blood-thirsty," which makes her plight and personality sound more exciting than it actually is. She didn't really do anything shocking/out-of-the-ordinary. Collects a few artifacts and has one conversation with the Occuria.

In all fairness you're being pretty glib.

Dark_castle

I must be a rare FF fan who played, liked and appreciated every single-player mainline FF including 2 and 8, to different degrees of course. Well except 13. I like to pretend 13 never existed these days.

Vire

Basically what I was trying to say here was that they should just remake FFXII. Based square.

Top wishlist for the remaster:

1. Zodiac International Edition
2. Improved audio quality on all voice acting (really was a shame it was so low bitrate because of the DVD compression)
3. 1080p/60fps
4. Maybe slight texture improvements here and there, but nothing crazy.

That's really all I want with this thing, the original game holds up well enough on its own and doesn't need a full blown remake.

Fehyd

Banned
THe 2nd pic doesn't look like it has AA, just higher resolution. Which is funny, because chrishackwood talked about the shot looking good because of AA.

edit: seems like he was talking about the ps2 version not having AA.

Just play it on emulator.

zyPx33K.jpg

Those environmental textures look terrible.

tuxfool

Banned

Rather than bloodthirsty, I find Ashe's motivations in 12 to be much more nuanced and complicated than typically one would associate with FF. I don't think it needs dressing up to make it interesting, unfortunately some cannot appreciate that without bombast.

Isayas

Banned
FFXII was boring as hell. I will still get it because I never 100% and all but the game was a snoozefest and it took a long time to get to the point.

Inuhanyou

I'm not here to debate 12's quality. I thought it was a nice game in many ways, as most games in the series tend to be. But the exaggerated emotional investment into 'defending' that title by saying all the other games feature 'caricatures'(as if every game didn't) and are apparently somehow lowbrow by comparison is completely nonsensical.

You can think opinion wise that 12 'has the best and most 'mature' characters in the entire series'(i'd say Tactics did), but that doesn't have to come out attacking every other title in the series just because one is being overzealous in their defense.

The only game in the FF franchise i think that can be agreed by everyone as a complete fustercluck was FF14 1.0.

*EDIT*

You don't know squat about what you're talking about. You have obviously looked at a minority of gamers who do this and apply it to the whole. I could do that to any video game series out there and I would be wrong. Those accusations you made do not apply to the FF community on this site, Eyes on FF, FF Net, FF-XIII.net, or the fan groups on Deviantart.

Its something i've seen as a reoccurring thing. I've never said everyone in the Final Fantasy fanbase does this, but i've seen it enough to feel like nobody can usually agree on anything ever.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ff12 is one of my favorites! Super excited. Might get for Vita, so I have something to play on the thing should it come out there.

I have ff10hd but i kind of moved on after a few hours.
Great game but ya know, just didn't have the desire to play again.

12 on the other hand... I was intimated by it at first and confused for awhile, then I couldn't beat Cid after a dozen or so attempts, so stopped playing for months. Damn hard difficultly spikes in his game. Randomly went back to it one day months later, and I crushed him first time and the game oddly clicked with me and I just loved the rest of the run. Balthier such a great character. Awesome voice acting and script. Didn't really care for Ashe though.

Otherwise all in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom