• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Remaster everything! Games like this are great to bring back, for those that loved it and those who never got to experience them. A lot of people have been waiting for this one, I hope it pops up in a few days at Gamescom!

Lynx_7

If it's the International Zodiac version then I'll probably buy it to see if the new job system does anything for me. To be honest, XII was one of those games I felt little to no joy playing and I'd rank it as one of my least favorite titles of the series, just above XIII and VIII respectively.

It's the only Final Fantasy title where I liked the direction they were going for and thought they had a lot of good ideas, but ultimately failed to deliver on them. Something about the execution was lacking in a lot of ways, it felt dry. Exploration was just slowly jogging in samey-looking maps of an area that was way too big for how little variety in design it actually had, combat felt unengaging, the plot didn't do much for me, even the ost was forgettable to the point where it's probably the only FF game I can't even remember a single tune from it (well, besides the main theme). However, it had some of the best writting (dialogue-wise) in the series, the localization team really did a fantastic job on that front, and I really like the political background and mature tone of the story. I can see why many people love it, but... Eh. It had everything to become one of my favorite titles, and the fact that it became almost the opposite of that is really disappointing. I should play Tactics to see Ivalice done right.

Anyway, this is still good news if true.

Kikujiro

People that criticize FF12 tend to be the same people that proclaim FF10 as the second coming of Christ. I ignore those people.

People who criticize FFX tend to be the same people that proclaim FFXII as the second coming of Christ. Ignore those people.

It may sound impossible to you, but there are plenty of people who love both of them, like myself, FFXII would have been my favorite if it wasn't for the story problems.

DeSolos

Also, if this weren't true, wouldn't SE denied it by now ?

If they don't say anything by Monday, then either they have an impending announcement, or it's too dumb a rumor to dignify.

I personally think they're quiet because it's the weekend, and their PR doesn't want to bother with it till they're on the clock.

All I need is FF12 from the PS2 with AA and 60fps.

from this...
ffxii-natif.png

to this...
ffxii-antialia-x4.png

Sweet! .....on second thoughts maybe give us a more user friendly map but seriously this game doesn't need much doing to it.

Wishful thinking but since 10 was remastered along with 10-2 it'd be sweet if we also received Revenant Wings.

It'd make up for no Tactics Advance 3.

Square please. ;__;

Nerokis

Final fantasy 10 was utter dogshit by story standards. Only one worse since 7 is 13.

Interesting plot brought down by awful characters, ridiculous ending and poor execution. The only thing interesting was the twist but then they literally went and handled its solution in the worst, most predictable way they possibly could.

Probably the biggest letdown of a final fantasy game ever.

The only people I can see loving 10 are those that did for nostalgia purposes because it was the game that released in that sweet spot during adolescence/teen years.

Hahaha. I couldn't disagree more. FFX's story isn't far from being my favorite in the entire series, and I never had the issue with the characters others do. Not going to get very far advancing a debate of competing preferences and adjectives, followed by a declaration that it's impossible for you to understand anyone disagreeing with you unless they only do so because they're the biased ones.

That said, this whole "it's either X or XII" dichotomy is pretty unnecessary. XII has a completely different approach to storytelling, and it's one I adore. It's funny how these discussions always create this implication that if you like one FF game, you probably aren't going to particularly like this other FF game. People's tastes aren't usually assumed to be so narrow when talking about gaming in general.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Any chance they could let us use the other characters in towns besides Vaan?

At the very least, new ab textures pls.

Myths

This for me is even bigger than a FFVII Remake. Second most enjoyed FF... would definitely go out of my way to replay a remake of FFXII.

Hahaha. I couldn't disagree more. FFX's story isn't far from being my favorite in the entire series, and I never had the issue with the characters others do. Not going to get very far advancing a debate of competing preferences and adjectives, followed by a declaration that it's impossible for you to understand anyone disagreeing with you unless they only do so because they're the biased ones.

That said, this whole "it's either X or XII" dichotomy is pretty unnecessary. XII has a completely different approach to storytelling, and it's one I adore. It's funny how these discussions always create this implication that if you like one FF game, you probably aren't going to particularly like this other FF game. People's tastes aren't usually assumed to be so narrow when talking about gaming in general.

Agreed with a lot of this...the only FF fames I genuinely dislike are the FFXIII ones. I really enjoyed both FFX and FFXII.

Its the last HD remaster I want. Left it after getting a next gen console last time and never returned to it.

If it gets the same redone texture stuff as FFX HD that would be great. The OG game had amazing texture work for a PS2 game but it would be super ugly if its just a straight HD remaster with no reworked assets.

Recall

I get the vibe people are only excited about the changes to how the game will look, not how the game will play?

I'm interested to see what they do to the combat and if they refine it.

Son Of D

The important question is, will the invisible weapons be avaliable?

Most likely. Wonder if they'll give them models this time.

Wishful thinking but since 10 was remastered along with 10-2 it'd be sweet if we also received Revenant Wings.

It'd make up for no Tactics Advance 3.

Square please. ;__;

Doubt we'll get Revenant Wings alongside it. If we do get a second game with XII HD it'll probably Tactics WotL HD since they already have HD assets from the iOS version.

It'll be a remaster, so they'll change nothing

Some remasters have done some gameplay changes. DmC had rebalances, KH BBS HD had some minor adjustments as well. There are probably others that I'm missing.

I was actually thinking about the Trango Tower and the Seitengrat

Current RNG manipulation techniques will not work, right? :p The Seitengrat will be a pain to get..

Ohh, I dunno :p

Is that the one that is like 1/256 chance of spawning or something ridiculous?

Ahnez

Ohh, I dunno :p

Is that the one that is like 1/256 chance of spawning or something ridiculous?

Only in a chest in the deck of one of the travel airships

1% chance of the chest appearing

The chest has no model, you have to bump it to know its there

It will contain gil ~80% of the time, and if not gil, theres still a very low chance for it to contain the Seitengrat

The chance of getting it is ~ 1/10,000

Only in a chest in the deck of one of the travel airships

1% chance of the chest appearing

The chest has no model, you have to bump it to know its there

It will contain gil ~80% of the time, and if not gil, theres still a very low chance for it to contain the Seitengrat

The chance of getting it is ~ 1/10,000

:/ Hopefully it's on Vita FFX/X-2 so I can gamble on the go...

People that criticize FF12 tend to be the same people that proclaim FF10 as the second coming of Christ. I ignore those people.

FF12 has beautiful art direction, the best translation and script thanks to Alexander O Smith's skilled work, a great voice cast (people that criticize Fran's English voice work are tone deaf), and well written characters. Ashe as a blood thirsty power seeking princess is an excellent repudiation of the typical princess trope. This game is a master work, the skills of the developers behind it are wielded with such deftness that subtlety is confused for boredom and poor writing.

This game deserves a remaster more than any other from Square's library. Great fucking game.

Wait? People don't like Fran's voice? I think it's fucking awesome.

Will Matsuno return? He was removed during development wasn't he?

Man, I'd love to see Matsuno return to SE but that's just me being selfish because I want some damn Ivalice games :3

I'm not sure if a composer would know the difference between a remaster and a remake but it would be awesome if they actually did something about the way the story just stops suddenly halfway through the game. I always said that you could practically feel the moment in-game where Matsuno was removed from the project :/

Ikon

I honestly hope it's not a remake. Just give us FFXII IZJS in 1080/60 and I will play it over and over again. I'd be fine with more hunting marks and some items but don't mess with it otherwise.

Game is damn close to perfect in my book - even if I'd prefer the original vision even more. Vaan is not my favorite character by any stretch.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I lost track of many games while growing up but Final Fantasy XII isn't one of them and I'm really looking forward to this.

I'm...actually excited. Any chance they'll actually flesh out the and fix the clearly half baked story? The game already has a gorgeous world. A great plot would elevate it so much.

Ahnez

:/ Hopefully it's on Vita FFX/X-2 so I can gamble on the go...

The chest is pretty far from the door, so it takes a lot of time for each try :/

You could use the disk loading sounds of the PS2 to know if the chest was there or not, saving a lot of time..

Just wait for the all weapons trophy to require this weapon :p

If it's the International Zodiac version then I'll probably buy it to see if the new job system does anything for me. [...]Exploration was just slowly jogging in samey-looking maps of an area that was way too big for how little variety in design it actually had, combat felt unengaging

I've heard IZJS fixes those issues, but I'm not motivated enough to get a copy of it. I generally agree with your sentiments though. I really wanted to like FFXII (and in many ways I do), but hol-y shit was the pace of the game grueling. I mentioned this in that LTTP FFXII thread that was here recently;
I liked Giruvegan a lot as a location but fuck me was it long. Walking through that damn swamp, getting to the city, walking down endless flights of stairs, then turning around in circles in that damn yellow crystal. Just when I thought, "It can't get any worse can it?" It sends you to that stupid tower in the middle of nowhere and HOLY SHIT did I want to break my controller.
(it sounds like the speedup in IZJS would've made this much more bearable)

I think I actually stopped playing before the end and just watched a playthrough on YT because by that point I just wanted to figure out how it all ended. But yeah, story was pretty good for a FF game. It's kinda like Star Wars set in Ivalice, and I guess that's ok. Also, ashe needs longer pants and vaan needs a fucking shirt lol.

bengraven

I had basically switched to Xbox and was obsessively following next-gen news, so FFXII just came and went and eventually I sold my PS2.

This is my one huge regret and I'm still angry at Square for not porting it to the PS3 or PSN.

I lost track of many games while growing up but Final Fantasy XII isn't one of them and I'm really looking forward to this.

I have two of those. The second one was a result of me being really drunk and attempting to order a collector's edition of the strategy guide off of Amazon one night. I was a bit surprised when it arrived, but decided to just keep it.

Sanctuary

Just give me this on PC with some good options so I can downsample the shit out of it. Cant wait for this.

Unless it's the superior IZJS, a PC release would be kind of pointless. Since you can play that verion already on PC at 6x the internal resolution.

I've heard IZJS fixes those issues, but I'm not motivated enough to get a copy of it. I generally agree with your sentiments though. I really wanted to like FFXII (and in many ways I do), but hol-y shit was the pace of the game grueling. I mentioned this in that LTTP FFXII thread that was here recently;
I liked Giruvegan a lot as a location but fuck me was it long. Walking through that damn swamp, getting to the city, walking down endless flights of stairs, then turning around in circles in that damn yellow crystal. Just when I thought, "It can't get any worse can it?" It sends you to that stupid tower in the middle of nowhere and HOLY SHIT did I want to break my controller.
(it sounds like the speedup in IZJS would've made this much more bearable)

I think I actually stopped playing before the end and just watched a playthrough on YT because by that point I just wanted to figure out how it all ended. But yeah, story was pretty good for a FF game. It's kinda like Star Wars set in Ivalice, and I guess that's ok. Also, ashe needs longer pants and vaan needs a fucking shirt lol.

The speed up makes a WORLD of difference. It makes backtracking so much easier, and it also removes the tedium of fights you can already win by mashing X. Also, what was wrong with Ashe's outfit? It was pretty stereotypical, but her boots were so high up that she may as well have been wearing pants.

Jonm1010

Banned

12 does have a different approach, it is actually good. At least the first half. It combined a strong, mature story, with a solid execution.

10 had this nonsensical logic about death that ruins the drama and the plot moves at the most predictable, cliched way with a bunch of cliched characters taking us there filled with cliched story tropes and cliched scenarios. With poor dialogue and writing. One of the worst, most annoying and conveniently dumb protagonists in any FF(I mean how many times can they hint about Yuna's sacrifice and the guy just doesnt get it because it is convenient for the plot?). Which of course leads to a predictable ending with a cringe-worthy conclusion. It is convoluted and not in a complex or meaningful way but in a way that just adds twists as a substitution to quality story to keep players interested and compelled. Even if it requires characters to break logic or intentionally act dumb to set them up.

Like a lot of RPG stories the basic premise in 10 sounds interesting, even fascinating, but the execution is awful.

What makes it worse is the VA is pretty bad all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom