• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bousf

For those wondering, this post pretty much cancels out Roth mistaking XII with VIIR: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=173829828

I personally find extremely convenient the fact that Arnie Roth slipped right when Sakimoto is present!! Such coincidental timing!....or not xD what if they spilled on purpose to test how people would take a remaster of XII? I don't really think this is the case, but who knows at this point xD

Mikey Jr.

I wonder if the vo is still going to sound like it's being filtered through someone's asshole.

The fuck was up with that?

Fehyd

Banned
For those wondering, this post pretty much cancels out Roth mistaking XII with VIIR: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=173829828

I personally find extremely convenient the fact that Arnie Roth slipped right when Sakimoto is present!! Such coincidental timing!....or not xD what if they spilled on purpose to test how people would take a remaster of XII? I don't really think this is the case, but who knows at this point xD

Its entirely possible. I think Square's been known to do that in the past? I don't have any idea though

I think there were even some people claiming that the FF7 PC port anouncement at PSX was another form of these in retrospect.. Some people in the company might have been certain that what the public at large wanted was a port of FF7 and not a remake. They were obviously shot after that announcement.

So i've heard that there were some behind the scenes issues with the making of XII, anyone know where I'd be able to read-up on that sort of stuff?

I'm always curious about the sort of stuff that happens when a game is being made, and what decisions eventually led to the product we end up getting.

Basically, Yasumi Matsuno, the producer and scenario director, was delaying the game too much and he eventually left Square because of stress. He explains a bit what happened in this interview (Quest is the name of Matsuno's previous company before Square):

Hints as to what happened with ff12 (Quest: kind dictatorship/ square: democracy)
- Ogre battle, Tactics Ogre, vagrant were entirely designed, directed and written by him, isn't a fan of others putting input into his stories.
- With the shift to Square, there was a different democratic production style that he wasn't used to(for example: The large sci-fi type airship in FF12, was a designer's idea, not his at all)
-Games are easiest to make when given a target, most difficult game to make is when you are told make whatever you please but expected to make sales.

大きな会社であれば,何十,何百万本を売らないといけないとか,ちゃんとしたIPを立ち上げないといけないとか,いろいろなプレッシャーがあるとは思いますが。 僕は最近,まず「自分が遊んで面白ければオッケーかな」と思いつつあるので。

- When Making a game with a big company, you've got all these pressures - a game has to sell hundreds of thousand of copies, you have to firmly set up intellectual property, etc. Lately Matsuno has come to think if he himself plays it and think it's interesting, that's an okay game to make.
- So if he makes a new game it will probably be on a small scale.

FarmerGiles

I wonder if the vo is still going to sound like it's being filtered through someone's asshole.

The fuck was up with that?

I believe they had to compress the audio so it could fit on the DVD, which resulted in lower sound quality. So it depends on whether they still have the original voices assets. Probably do I'd imagine.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
FFXII in HD will be better looking than most modern games. Such a beautiful game.

Fehyd

Banned
Basically, Yasumi Matsuno, the producer and scenario director, was delaying the game too much and he eventually left Square because of stress. He explains a bit what happened in this interview (Quest is the name of Matsuno's previous company before Square):

Thank you, gives me some idea, LOL. Was always curious as I've never actually played XII.

J-Skee

I wonder if this will be a FFX situation & it only appears on PlayStation platforms. I always found it curious that the X series was like that, as there was never any formal announcement about it (but then again, this was before the whole "console exclusive" deals that go on now).

Ganondorfo

Do you think we will get another mainline FF like 12 if the HD remaster sells great? Or maybe Square is going to greenlight Vagrant Story 2 or Final Fantasy Tactics 2 if the HD remaster will be a success in confidence for Matsuno and his team.

Koozek

Yes, there be a heaven.
Oooh, you know what I just remembered? A while ago I was researching FFXII's troubled development and also read a few old GAF threads from around its release. Stumbled upon this post of yours two months before Versus XIII was revealed responsing to someone saying that Nomura is only a designer and won't do game design like Matsuno :D
Originally Posted by SolidSnakex
All he does is the character designs, it not like he's in Matsuno's position with any of the FF's.
Oh, one day he will be. Because we can't have good things.
So, did your opinion on Nomura change in the years after? Were you hyped about Versus?

Se'kami

Neo Member
At the end of the show, after the encore, they brought Sakimoto back out onto the stage with Roth and they bowed one more time.

I swore that they were gonna say something else about the XII fiasco or say he made a hiccup, but nothing...

Really hoping this is true, never finished XII, and I've had my steelbook collector's copy on my shelf for years. :(

Whompa02

I fell asleep playing FF12. Maybe an HD remake will help change that...Vaan just never leveraged the story in any way. Maybe they'll adjust some things to help that.

The narrative was never its strong suit and the language was generally overly flowery, but it at least was delivered better than most FF games.

The gameplay was great though.

jackal27

Banned
I will buy this game as many times as I need to convince Square what a good Final Fantasy looks like!

Also, thank you based Arni! Still my favorite person involved with modern day Square things.

Do you think we will get another mainline FF like 12 if the HD remaster sells great? Or maybe Square is going to greenlight Vagrant Story 2 or Final Fantasy Tactics 2 if the HD remaster will be a success in confidence for Matsuno and his team.

To be honest I'd rather have Hiroyuki Ito since he is the one who game-designed XII and Tactics, not Matsuno.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone at SE has been channelling Sue Loves Surprises from SNL this few months. Who will succumb next!!!?

So, the chances of him mixing up the numbers are very low, right?

Here is what he said:
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173829828&postcount=1182]"And I'm sure you've all heard the big news. Final Fantasy 7 remake.

And there's a Final Fantasy 12 remake underway as well.

And of course we can't wait for Final Fantasy 15, coming out soon."[/URL]

Sanctuary

I don't understand. Why does this game need a "remake" as opposed to a remaster? It was already one of the better looking PS2 games, and it still looks fantastic through PCSX2.
I'm not complaining that they are re-releasing it, I just don't know what about it needs to be remade. There wasn't anything much wrong with the base game other than I guess there not being a "main protagonist" (even though Balthier or Ashe could be considered co-protagonists), and it has aged decently enough.

Well, I guess if they are making it the IZJS version for those that simply cannot play the patched version on a PC this kind of makes sense. But still, a full blown "remake"? I don't get it.

J-Skee

I don't understand. Why does this game need a "remake" as opposed to a remaster? It was already one of the better looking PS2 games, and it still looks fantastic through PCSX2.
I'm not complaining that they are re-releasing it, I just don't know what about it needs to be remade. There wasn't anything much wrong with the base game other than I guess there not being a "main protagonist" (even though Balthier or Ashe could be considered co-protagonists), and it has aged decently enough.

You're reading too much into it. Everyone is assuming he meant "remaster" but said "remake" instead.

Sanctuary

I fell asleep playing FF12. Maybe an HD remake will help change that...Vaan just never leveraged the story in any way. Maybe they'll adjust some things to help that.

The narrative was never its strong suit and the language was generally overly flowery, but it at least was delivered better than most FF games.

Vaan just felt like a last minute decision as far as what his relevance to the story was. He very much feels like a side character, while Balthier and Ashe have much more important (and interesting) roles to play. Then there's Penelo, who was super annoying and useless to the plot, but you took her simply because she was pretty good in combat.

Roxas

You mustn't have played very far I guess as Vaan becomes fairly irrelevant as the story progresses.

Brew124

Did they follow up that introduction by playing ff12 music, because that would be extremely telling?

We went to A New World last week in Cleveland, and we were also at Distant Worlds last night with the Meet and Greet included. Arnie Roth typically announces the next two to three songs that they will be playing after each 'mini-set.'

They started last night after the announcement (which was as soon as the show began) with a Prelude and transitioned right in to Liberi Fatali from VIII. Then they did a Victory Theme (which was maybe 30 seconds long), and transitioned into The Dalmasca Estersand from XII. So yes, they did play something from XII in the first 'mini-set' after the slip/announcement.

fvng

Feel like the title should say remaster not remake. I highly doubt they are remaking the whole thing from scratch

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
One of the best games ever. This is my drug of choice. Any chance of 2015? :)

legacyzero

Banned
Just give me this on PC with some good options so I can downsample the shit out of it. Cant wait for this.

Holding small hope this is a remake with Matsuno's original story but most likely will just be hd port - will buy in any case.

Wont happen. But a remaster without Vaan would be a true remaster to me :p

Oh god I hope this is true.

When XII originally came out I could never get into it. It wasn't until a few years later where I sat down and then just fell in love with it. It's absolutely gorgeous, has a beautiful soundtrack and great gameplay once you understand it. I would love to see it come out on PS4 in 1080p and extra bells and whistles, Zodiac included.

I have played it through an emulator on my PC too and it can handle it great with added AA and whatnot, but to see an official HD release would be great.

Garlador

Just give me this on PC with some good options so I can downsample the shit out of it. Cant wait for this.

Wont happen. But a remaster without Vaan would be a true remaster to me :p

As excited as I am about a potential remake, my main complain was the story. Where FF13's story was totally nonsensical, FF12's story bugged me by being just so boring and plagued with charisma-less main characters like Vaan and Penelo. Unlike FFX, nobody really sat down, emoted, talked to each other... outside of maybe Fran and Balthier.

I doubt they'll fix that, but at least the game itself would benefit spectacularly from an HD version of the Zodiac edition.

Socivol

I'm sure it will just be a remaster. I really, really hope they fix the story. They really need to add some additional elements to it. It was so boring and for the most part pointless.

legacyzero

Banned
As excited as I am about a potential remake, my main complain was the story. Where FF13's story was totally nonsensical, FF12's story bugged me by being just so boring and plagued with charisma-less main characters like Vaan and Penelo. Unlike FFX, nobody really sat down, emoted, talked to each other... outside of maybe Fran and Balthier.

I doubt they'll fix that, but at least the game itself would benefit spectacularly from an HD version of the Zodiac edition.

I felt the same way about the story when it first came out, though. But then I played the game years later when I was a little bit older, and could better understand the direction they were going. The Judges, the political struggle, Basch's fall and rise, Ash's journey to prove she's true royal. All of it was very mature, and well put together IMO. And I cant agree with the charisma-less character. I wouldn't confuse mature writing and down-to-earth acting as 1-dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom