• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

BorkBork said:
That is one of the most diverse sets of samples I have ever heard in a videogame soundtrack, and it's definitely intentional. I LIKE.

:D

Suck on that soundtrack haters: "OMG the game has, like, 1 country song. Worst soundtrack ever."

Olaeh

This is one of the few games where I'm recognizing and loving the soundtrack pre-release. Only other game that comes to mind are Mario Galaxy and Blue Dragon. I'm so hyped for this :D

batbeg

BorkBork said:
Track 4 is awesome. :lol

It really is! To hell with all the soundtrack haters man, this soundtrack genuinely seems like it's going to match FFCCs own superb OST if not best it, to me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't think I can justify buying Final fantasy games in a matter of 2 months, so I think I'll stick to FFXIII and 4 Warriors of Light.

I'll definitely keep an eye on reviews and pick it up early next year, though.

Kandinsky

Whoever is going to make the official thread for this game should call it "FFCC:CB thread of sucky music and giant lilties", i mean srsly those samples suck! >_>

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kandinsky said:
Whoever is going to make the official thread for this game should call it "FFCC:CB thread of sucky music and giant lilties", i mean srsly those samples suck! >_>

Really? There are at least two tracks on there that are directly influenced by the original CC, a game you claimed to have one of the best OST's ever.

Combine

Banned
Those music samples are great, and yeah diverse. Yet another thing which makes me think of Skies of Arcadia, which also had one of the most diverse soundtracks also. :D

Kandinsky said:

"Official Thread of Kandinsky being contrarian."

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
thetrin said:
I don't think I can justify buying Final fantasy games in a matter of 2 months, so I think I'll stick to FFXIII and 4 Warriors of Light.

I'll definitely keep an eye on reviews and pick it up early next year, though.
But this is only really a final fantasy game in terms of having the same enemies, species, and crystals. If you don't want to be final fantasied out, I would think you'd make either FFXIII or 4 Warriors of Light the odd man out, since they'll be more traditional in a sense and more similar to one another.

I dunno, it's like saying you don't want to get burned out on basketball games and choosing to buy NBA Live and NBA2K instead of buying NBA Jam and one of NBA Live/NBA2K

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kandinsky said:
Reminds me of the E3 thread where we ended up with "The Official Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers thread of poor man's Zelda story-heavy wagglefest on Dreamcast for grandparents".

GaimeGuy said:
But this is only really a final fantasy game in terms of having the same enemies, species, and crystals.

That's the only reason any Final Fantasy is a Final Fantasy. :lol

Fuu said:
Reminds me of the E3 thread where we ended up with "The Official Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers thread of poor man's Zelda story-heavy wagglefest on Dreamcast for grandparents".

Oh god, they say this: "The game play segment in the beginning of the game had players using this power to grab onto flying enemies and taking them down."

Despite the fact that the scene is a rail shooter sequence, they even have an image of it. :lol

Obviously someone didn't play the game before assuming "lol pretty boys with waggle".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GaimeGuy said:
But this is only really a final fantasy game in terms of having the same enemies, species, and crystals. If you don't want to be final fantasied out, I would think you'd make either FFXIII or 4 Warriors of Light the odd man out, since they'll be more traditional in a sense and more similar to one another.

I dunno, it's like saying you don't want to get burned out on basketball games and choosing to buy NBA Live and NBA2K instead of buying NBA Jam and one of NBA Live/NBA2K

That metaphor illustrates why Crystal Bearers is the odd man out. I know Gaiden and FFXIII are gonna be great because of the teams associated. Crystal Bearers is an unknown quantity to me (just like NBA Jam has become)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fimbulvetr said:
Oh god, they say this: "The game play segment in the beginning of the game had players using this power to grab onto flying enemies and taking them down."

Despite the fact that the scene is a rail shooter sequence, they even have an image of it. :lol

Obviously someone didn't play the game before assuming "lol pretty boys with waggle".
Yeah, it was pretty retarded. And then we had the Gamespot one which said the demo gave the impression that the game was "primarily an on-rails shooter". I guess they all glanced over the booth and called it a day.

Fuu said:
Yeah, it was pretty retarded. And then we had the Gamespot one which said the demo gave the impression that the game was "primarily an on-rails shooter". I guess they all glanced over the booth and called it a day.

Game journalism at its finest?

Fimbulvetr said:
Game journalism at its finest?
And Gamespot at it's finest.

yes.
thetrin said:
That metaphor illustrates why Crystal Bearers is the odd man out. I know Gaiden and FFXIII are gonna be great because of the teams associated. Crystal Bearers is an unknown quantity to me (just like NBA Jam has become)
Wait what? This is from what remains of the Final Fantasy IX team sir.

And FFIX beats FFVII/VIII/X/X-2 in my book and most likely XIII (seeing that I just listed that teams previous efforts).

If anything I'd say these dudes have the better track record, if only ever prejudiced by how Square-Enix has treated their projects as secondary and derivative over the years. Luckily for us, seems like Crystal Bearers isn't it, and instead it's the real deal and meat.

TunaLover

Kandinsky said:

Really, where is my generic grim RPG music, of proved to the death melodies, I say burn CC by trying something diferent.

Amir0x

Banned
Track 7 is totally them on a beach sipping on martini's while throwing sand at crying children

This game is so appealing.

Track 10 is Celtic world, sittin' at a pub playing darts while using the wiimote to start bar fights.

TunaLover said:
I hope you guys still working hard in that official thread, because there more than enough material, and keep getting bigger :D
I think Fuu or Fimbulvetr is making the official thread. I would make it but I think they're doing it already. I'll help them though if they need help.

BorkBork

It's not like they're not capable of churning out stunning pieces of "traditional RPG" music either. I mean, the theme from the main site is absolutely incredible. The fact that they chose to expand the OST to encompass other styles of compositions is super refreshing.

I still think track 5 is a tribute to FFVI's coliseum theme.

Shadowlink said:
I think Fuu or Fimbulvetr is making the official thread. I would make it but I think they're doing it already. I'll help them though if they need help.
I'm willing to help too, if needed just hit my PM box.

I use photoshop for a living, and other than that... well, I can write stuff as well.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Heh, track four just makes me want to do the charleston :D

seriously, with how diverse the soundtracks are, it'll be well worth the fourth game i buy this winter :D

edit: i'll gladly help with the official thread. i'd LOVE to present a "BULLY TRAIN CONDUCTOR HERE" flavor for the official thread text.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Fuu said:
:lol

the game is the complete opposite. it's an open world action/adventure game. gamespot is worse than ign to me.

Threi

notag
why am i just now noticing that layle has sideburns

*edit*

2zzsqqf.jpg

So how does dividing the Official Thread into General Info, Story, Characters, Gameplay, Reviews, and Media sound?

Should I have more? less?

BorkBork

A SE main protagonist that can grow facial hair.

This game gets more and more awesome.

lostinblue said:
yes.Wait what? This is from what remains of the Final Fantasy IX team sir.

And FFIX beats FFVII/VIII/X/X-2 in my book and most likely XIII (seeing that I just listed that teams previous efforts).

If anything I'd say these dudes have the better track record, if only ever prejudiced by how Square-Enix has treated their projects as secondary and derivative over the years. Luckily for us, seems like Crystal Bearers isn't it, and instead it's the real deal and meat.
Didn't ethelred correct the FF IX misconceptions earlier in the thread?
ethelred said:
The original Crystal Chronicles didn't have that much of the FF9 team on it -- as I noted in the FF13 thread a few days ago, not only did the enormously talented director of FF9 not work on Crystal Chronicles, but none of the gameplay/battle design staff worked on it, nor did the composer, nor did the art director, and so on. Mostly, the only people who moved over from FF9 to Crystal Chronicles were a handful of artists, one of the game's three character designers, and FF9's event designer.

That event designer served as director for Crystal Chronicles, but he was a pretty experienced developer even before that point, and he had a long history in design roles with Square. Unfortunately, as I said, he's not directing Crystal Bearers -- a character designer who made Code Age Commanders is.
The way the Crystal Chronicles team is being mixed with the FF IX team reminds me a bit of how Brownie Brown sometimes gets credit for older Mana games since their artists worked on Legend of Mana.

To expand on ethelred's point, I'll just take a look at the main FFCC credits and list what they did if anything in Final Fantasy IX. I reeeeeally wish MobyGames would do this sort of instant comparison automatically (and it is something I've suggested/requested multiple times.)

FF CC Role: Person (FF IX role)

Producer: Akitoshi Kawazu (None)
Director: Kazuhiko Aoki (Event Design)
Event Plan: Masahiro Kataoka (One of six Event Planners)
Battle Plan: Yuichi Tsuchiya (None)
Field Plan: Yasushi Matsumura (None)
Main Program: Mitsuru Kamiyama (None)
Art: Toshiyuki Itahana (Card Designer and one of three Character Designers)
Character Model: Takanari Tajima (One of nine Monster Modelers)
Character Animation: Go Kikuchi (One of four Battle Character Animators)
Character Texture: Takuji Sasaki (One of eleven Texture Artists)
Field Design: Kenzo Kanzaki (None)
Visual Effect: Shigeyuki Ohno (None)
Menu Design: Kasuko Shibuya (One of nine Additional Character Designers)
Music & Arrangement: Kumi Tanioka (None)
Synth Operate and Arrangement: Hidenori Iwasaki (None)
Sound Program: Minoru Akao (Sound Programmer)
Sound Effect: Makoto Ise (One of two Game Sound Editors)

JoshuaJSlone said:
FF CC Role: Person (FF IX role)

The way the Crystal Chronicles team is being mixed with the FF IX team reminds me a bit of how Brownie Brown sometimes gets credit for older Mana games since their artists worked on Legend of Mana.

To expand on ethelred's point, I'll just take a look at the main FFCC credits and list what they did if anything in Final Fantasy IX. I reeeeeally wish MobyGames would do this sort of instant comparison automatically (and it is something I've suggested/requested multiple times.)

Producer: Akitoshi Kawazu (None)
Director: Kazuhiko Aoki (Event Design)
Event Plan: Masahiro Kataoka (One of six Event Planners)
Battle Plan: Yuichi Tsuchiya (None)
Field Plan: Yasushi Matsumura (None)
Main Program: Mitsuru Kamiyama (None)
Art: Toshiyuki Itahana (Card Designer and one of three Character Designers)
Character Model: Takanari Tajima (One of nine Monster Modelers)
Character Animation: Go Kikuchi (One of four Battle Character Animators)
Character Texture: Takuji Sasaki (One of eleven Texture Artists)
Field Design: Kenzo Kanzaki (None)
Visual Effect: Shigeyuki Ohno (None)
Menu Design: Kasuko Shibuya (One of nine Additional Character Designers)
Music & Arrangement: Kumi Tanioka (None)
Synth Operate and Arrangement: Hidenori Iwasaki (None)
Sound Program: Minoru Akao (Sound Programmer)
Sound Effect: Makoto Ise (One of two Game Sound Editors)
That's a lot of FFIX blood if you ask me. Plus, it feels like FFIX, I've heard/read Akitoshi Kawazu saying a lot of the team members are FFIX veterans (so at least most of the leading/vocal members are) and "there were even FF9 characters making cameos in the game at some point".

This team has the FFIX spirit within it, way more than... say FFXIII team. Hell, even i they were "just" the Crystal Chronicles team... did you know Crystal Chronicles GC recycled assets from FFIX? (monsters and stuff) there's clearly a heritage.

If you look up, possibly most of the members on FFVIII team didn't made FFX, and most of those aren't making FFXIII, but it's still the same team, leaded by the same dudes that gave it it's personality or simply people trying to emulate/achieve the same feeling.

FFIX was 10 years ago, and as a reward Square-Enix put the team doing a huge load of secondary games for non-leading platforms. It's only natural the full team just isn't there anymore and were summoned elsewhere, if they didn't move out of square-enix by natural causes (10 years is a lot of time, hell, even sakaguchi has gone away) but this team is what remains of the FFIX team, it really is.

Kandinsky

Whatever guys, only good sample song is number 3, the rest are meh to awful, especially the last one, that one is just a mess D:

IMO ofc.

lostinblue said:
If you look up, possibly most of the members on FFVIII team didn't made FFX, and most of those aren't making FFXIII, but it's still the same team.

And this team is what remains of the FFIX team.
There's a lot more high level carryover from VIII to X than from IX to CC. VIII and X share the same main character designer, music composer, art directors, and scenario writer. VIII's director went on to be X's producer.

Perhaps it is literally the same team after many staff changes--I don't know Square's internal organization that well. But if there are enough changes it gets to being a ship of Theseus situation.

As for the spirit or feel... well, there's really no arguing that in a definite sense. Certainly I would agree that stylistically the worlds of Crystal Chronicles and IX seem more alike than either with X or XIII.

batbeg

JoshuaJSlone said:
As for the spirit or feel... well, there's really no arguing that in a definite sense. Certainly I would agree that stylistically the worlds of Crystal Chronicles and IX seem more alike than either with X or XIII.

Well I mean... this one is an obvious one. The inclusion of Stiltskin, and use of FFIX enemies or designs shows the principal influence, as well as the original games use of SD characters.

Who knows, maybe more of the "FFIX Team" have been added onto The Crystal Bearers since FFCC. I doubt it, but then again, I don't consistently believe in the team dynamic being all that indicative of my enjoyment of the game. I seem to enjoy some games and not others from the same teams in the industry all the time...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The Moby Games credits for FF:CC makes it seem like the FF:CC team was made out of FFIX vets, but it's far too incomplete to make a good comparison. imdb has a (near?) complete list:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432287/fullcredits

It, at the very least, has all the planners and programmers, I didn't check for all the artists/designers. In addition to the Moby Games list, here's the rest of the planning staff:
Event Planners:
Atsuko Ishikura
Akihiko Maeda (Event Planner)
Masato Yagi
Kazuhiro Yamauchi
Field Planner:
Kiminori Ono (Map Planner)

None of the programmers worked on FFIX aside from the sound programmer already pointed out.

On a somewhat unrelated note to this comparison, I don't see the problem with the concern ethelred has expressed in this thread is about. Aoki might've been the Planning Director of Code Age Commanders, but that was still the last game Itahana directed. Maybe he's more suited to the adventure game genre than the action RPG genre, we'll find out soon enough.

Top Bottom